Options

The New Game Cuts the New Time

King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdosA city in my mindRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
I'm not sure if this has been posted or not (I'm sorry if I just haven't seen it), but what the hell is this all about?

3198691172_d726d113e7.jpg

It's Marvelous Entertainment's Japanese site, with a timer counting down to January 22 (or 23, in Japan). There's a clock with a feather and the Triforce symbol. Every thirty seconds, the second hand rewinds to the beginning. My Japanese is...well, nonexistant, but babelfish translates the description in the source as "Clock of puzzle to [maberasuentateimento] official sight appearance! The new game, cuts the new time…. " I'm guessing [maberasuentateimento] is Marvelous Entertainment. Any other thoughts on this?

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
twitter //
3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
King of Mars on

• Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got no idea, but I'm totally blue-dotting this thing.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    return of the cdi

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hoping it's a Phantom Hourglass sequel where you don't have to return to the same fucking dungeon a million times, a process that ruins a great game.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Legend of Zelda coming for toasters?

Really, I have no idea.

Maybe something that deals with Majora's Mask? The whole three triforce, two triforce, one triforce thing made me think of the three day time limit, especially with it 'rewinding' after going around the three of them.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvelous_Entertainment
    When MMV completed their acquisition of Victor Interactive Software on March 31, 2003, it was renamed Marvelous Interactive.[8] In the transaction MMV obtained all the rights to the popular Harvest Moon series and other Victor Interactive Software series. In June 2007, Marvelous Interactive was absorbed into the parent company during an internal restructure.[1][9]

We get to grow turnips again?

Meiz on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait... Someone fill me in here. If this is a Zelda game shouldn't this be on a Nintendo site?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We don't know for sure it's 'the' triforce...

I mean, my dad got a pair of slippers from a hotel in Africa and I was quite bemused to see them emblazoned with the triforce.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think I saw that thing on Yu-Gi-Oh.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Hoping it's a Phantom Hourglass sequel where you don't have to return to the same fucking dungeon a million times, a process that ruins a great game.

Pffft, each time you come back with better gear more shortcuts are possible, and nearer the end you can kill those armoured bastards on the way down too. Hell, I went in there a bunch of extra times to speedrun it for a 00:00 completion time :P

Hm, suppose I should say something in keeping with the thread...

That feather is obviously from the flying rooster in Link's Awakening, clearly meaning that the wind fish is being drugged and forced to dream so that Ganon can syphon his dream energy and use it to power his moblin army from within a secret base hidden in the water temple.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rami wrote: »

I mean, my dad got a pair of slippers from a hotel in Africa and I was quite bemused to see them emblazoned with the triforce.

Was it in Nigeria? If they told you that they had triforce power you got scammed.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Something Nintendo involved?
    Sounds like a new Zelda game to me.

Did you know:
    Nintendo did not release a Zelda game in 2008.
    The first in many years?

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rami wrote: »

I'm guessing the Triforce is not quite as well known to hotels in Africa as it is to video game developers in Japan. I'd like to see a pic of those slippers, though.

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ...TRIFORCE TENNIS

4131CBCDH8L._AA280_.jpg

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's not a triforce and it has nothing to do with Zelda, yeesh.

Meiz on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh lord.

Majora's Mask related?

Look, you have three triforce symbols where the triangles count down from 3 to 2 to 1 and then right before midnight the clock resets.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meiz wrote: »
    That's not a triforce and it has nothing to do with Zelda, yeesh.

There are triforces inside the clock frame, but the notion that this has anything to do with Zelda is pretty ludicrous. Stringing three triangles together was not invented by Nintendo.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, personally I'd bet that this isn't Zelda related, though I'd like it to be.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is a fun game of let's pretend. I'm fully aware that the chances of it being Zelda related are practically nil, but the Majora's Mask connection is compelling.

And let's not forget that Capcom made three Zelda handheld games.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't imagine that the guys at Marvelous aren't aware of the Triforce. It's a very deliberate placement to either indicate a Zelda title, which I severely doubt, or to make people talk about it. Which we're doing. Hey!

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's not a triforce. Stop saying it's a triforce.

Meiz on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Insanity wrote: »

That feather is obviously from the flying rooster in Link's Awakening, clearly meaning that the wind fish is being drugged and forced to dream so that Ganon can syphon his dream energy and use it to power his moblin army from within a secret base hidden in the water temple.

The City of Lost Children?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Insanity wrote: »

The City of Lost Children?

Ron Pearlman plays link in new Zelda game. CONFIRMED.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Not the whole thing. The symbol at the top of the inset that the arrow is pointing to is three equilateral triangles arranged in such a way that they form a gap between them of the same shape. Which is a Triforce symbol. I don't give a shit if it was around for millions of years beforehand, now, in this context, it's a fucking Triforce.

Willeth on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whatever it is, it looks weird.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

Not the whole thing. The symbol at the top of the inset that the arrow is pointing to is three equilateral triangles arranged in such a way that they form a gap between them of the same shape. Which is a Triforce symbol. I don't give a shit if it was around for millions of years beforehand, now, in this context, it's a fucking Triforce.

No it's not, you're an idiot.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Would you mind explaining yourself in terms other than blind denial?

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

But it is. It's three equilateral triangles aranged in an equilateral triangle formation, what more do you want?

Whether it's an intentional and/or officialy sanctioned triforce could be up for debate if you wish, but that is clearly a triforce.

This isn't exactly 'face of Jesus in the burnt toast' time here.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think it's very obviously a triforce - there're even triforces in the triforce.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    While it certainly is a set of three triangles, there's nothing else that indicates it's related to the triforce of the Zelda series.

Peewi on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

But it is. It's three equilateral triangles aranged in an equilateral triangle formation, what more do you want?

Whether it's an intentional and/or officialy sanctioned triforce could be up for debate if you wish, but that is clearly a triforce.

It was actually used a few hundred years ago as the symbol for a Japanese clan. The Hojos, I think

Even though it is the Triforce, it is not necessarily related to Zelda in any way

The implication that it has something to do with Majora's Mask, with the triangles disappearing and then the clock resetting, fills me with something approaching joy, but the odds of that are so astronomical that I think you'd have to be sort of retarded to even think it

It's not a Nintendo site, so it's not Zelda

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A) You have wood paneling hiding the fucking thing.
    B) Nintendo handing the Zelda license to some no name company is absurd.
    C) It's not yellow, or shiny or triforcey.
    D) Triangles do not equal triforce.

Stop being silly.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

It was actually used a few hundred years ago as the symbol for a Japanese clan. The Hojos, I think

Even though it is the Triforce, it is not necessarily related to Zelda in any way

The implication that it has something to do with Majora's Mask, with the triangles disappearing and then the clock resetting, fills me with something approaching joy, but the odds of that are so astronomical that I think you'd have to be sort of retarded to even think it

It's not a Nintendo site, so it's not Zelda

This was kind of my point. I know it was used however long ago. However, a game company does not accidentally use this combination of triangles in a teaser image. It's clearly supposed to make people think 'Triforce!'. That's what it is now, in this context.

I agree with you, Meiz, but saying 'Man, there's no way this is a triforce, how are you seeing this' is a bunch of bullshit.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Indeed my money is on deliberate misdirection to gain attention.

But it's fun to dream!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ...TRIFORCE TENNIS

4131CBCDH8L._AA280_.jpg

I know someone with that. He does not know it's significance.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A) You have wood paneling hiding the fucking thing.
    B) Nintendo handing the Zelda license to some no name company is absurd.
    C) It's not yellow, or shiny or triforcey.
    D) Triangles do not equal triforce.

Stop being silly.

A, C, and D)Are you seriously telling me that you don't see this as a triforce in a videogame context?
    3198691172_d726d113e7.jpg
    B) Marvelous Entertainment is not a no name company. They publish a lot of Wii and DS games, including the Harvest Moon series, No More Heroes, etc.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The link to this page on their main site says: A mysterious countdown is starting! In tens of thousands of seconds, something will be born.

On the page its self, it says: Marvelous Entertainment launched a site to watch the mystery! A new game, a new lap time.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    GWRAAHHH

Meiz on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Triforce doesn't mean "Three triangles", it's the item the Godesses left behind.
    Just because it LOOKS like a Triforce doesn't mean it is one.

Now that pedantic time is over, let me say that I don't believe this to be Zelda-related.
    It is however intriguing.

Djiem on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is obviously a Zelda / Chrono Trigger cross-over where Link, Crono and Serge all go back in time to stop the lovechild of Ganon and Azala (pig + lizard = ???) from using the power of Lavos to sink Hyrule. I know it's true because I saw a Kotaku comment corroborating the entire story.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's obviously a teaser for the Diamond of Abarious
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=80052

darleysam on
    forumsig.png