As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

who wants to be a slumdog!

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    500 Ways to Hammer?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    as in you haven't seen it before?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    no like
    i should dig out my dvd

ascot on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009
    I haven't seen donnie darko

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    it's pretty good

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I watched it on FearNet the other day since it's free

It's decent

Me Too! on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Donnie Darko is not a very good film

although that scene with the smurf conversation is pretty great

also sparklevision

but yeah shit makes no sense

YaYa on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    sparkle motion YaYa

sparkle motion

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    shit sorry

it's been like 4 years

YaYa on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Who be dissin' the DD?
    Picture5-3.jpg

ascot on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    sparkle motion YaYa

sparkle motion

sometimes i question his commitment

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    The best scene in that movie is when Patrick Swayze talks to his school and Donnie calls him the "fucking Antichrist."

Me Too! on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so I finally manage to get my hands on Aguirre wrath of god and the damn disc is scratched and won't play

the good news is I bought a blu ray player yesterday and god I love it so much

of course when I brought it home the power went for 5 hours, but still

FAQ on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Walrus wrote: »
    Pooro I agree with you a lot about this film, particularly the 'filtered City of God' comment. That was a film that combined a devastating look at the problem of poverty and slum life while remaining engaging, humorous and unbelievably impetuous. This, on the other hand, felt kind of flimsy, like Dickens-lite. I still enjoyed it (especially anil kapoor) but where all this award talk is coming from is a myyyyyssteeeeery.

Ooh, yeah, Dickens-lite is a great way to describe it.
    Air wrote: »
    pooro i think the worst part about her situation was that she was completely resigned to it for pretty much her whole life
    like shes stuck in a shit life and expects bad things to happen and thinks theres no hope trying to run or fight it
    i dont think they ever really showed her crying or acting really upset about anything she had been through
    but they did show her pretty much accepting all of it, giving up, and trying to get the guy to give up as well

and a lot of that may or may not have been her way of trying to protect jamal
    but tryin to protect him by telling him not to do anything while she lets herself be taken advantage of is still pretty resigned and hopeless

the idea that she couldnt be happy at the end because she had been through so much shit seems very off
    like the worst thing that happened to her is the cumulative stripping of her hope for anything else

Yeah, you don't get to systematically abuse and break down a character and then act like a kiss at the train station erases all that.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Slumdog millionare was very good. Not my favorite Danny Boyle movie but that's because I gravitate more towards stuff like 28 days later and Sunshine, but Slumdog might be his most praised and acclaimed work to date. Something to finally get him the recognition he deserves.

Also, Pooro how do you feel about me saying The Wrestler is better than There Will Be Blood?

Urian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FAQ wrote: »
    so I finally manage to get my hands on Aguirre wrath of god and the damn disc is scratched and won't play

People love Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo, andthey're definitly bothe worth watching, but man, Cobra Verde doesnt get enoughl love.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aguirre just pissed me off. Stroszek was my favourite Herzog. I fell asleep about 5 minutes into Heart of Glass.

Walrus on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I liked this movie but I agree with Pooro and Walrus to some extent. It lacked some substance though the style was pretty good. I hadn't even really thought of the City of God comparison, obvious as it is.

Anyway, I'll probably buy it when it hits DVD anyway. Looking at my DVD collection I apparently really like Danny Boyle.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    sparkle motion YaYa

sparkle motion

I am seriously doubting YaYa's dedication to Sparkle Motion.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited January 2009
    sorry Goatmon someone already did that joke

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just got back from Synecdoche, NY

i'm going to reserve judgment until i'll have thought about it some more, since it's certainly not a simple movie, but i will say this

phillip symour hoffman was brilliant

pooro i am interested to hear what you thought of it

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fari I hear you should go see it twice

also it is so never going to come out here

dudes should I see Gran Torino again this weekend, my parents haven't seen it

otherwise I think Valkyrie is coming out too

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jon brion's soundtrack was awesome, by the way

Faricazy on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FAQ on
  • Options
    WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's pretty good. Quite a strange effect when you realise the present day bits are genuine documentary interviews, just animated.

Walrus on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd be more interested in it if it was from a Palestinian perspective.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey I finally saw this last night. It was delightful. Although they were showing some Sundance films in the same theater and I really wanted to sneak into one of those instead.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    pooroooooo

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Just got back from Synecdoche, NY

i'm going to reserve judgment until i'll have thought about it some more, since it's certainly not a simple movie, but i will say this

phillip symour hoffman was brilliant

pooro i am interested to hear what you thought of it

Synecdoche, NY was the best 2008 movie I saw.

Not my favorite (That honor goes to Rachel Getting Married), but the best.

It was like a fine piece of literature. Watching it was kind of like work, but intensely satisfying work. That motherfucker is going to be discussed and debated until you and I are old and gray, mark my words.

For me, personally, the pivotal scene was the recreation of the funeral. When the preacher breaks the fourth wall (As if that fucking movie had a fourth wall. Fucking thing had, bare minimum, 14 walls). It was an astoundingly brilliant monologue on its own, but in the context of the movie as a whole, I feel it was even more significant.

What's really fascinating to me, and what makes me want to watch it over and over again, are the questions raised.

For instance:
    Are the fact that Caden was accused of being a homosexual by his daughter, and the fact that his final stand-in was portrayed by a woman, intertwined? Is the war going on in the outside world, that eventually spills into the world of the play, solely a commentary on how artists get so involved in their art that they lose sight of the outside world? Or does it have even deeper significance? What the hell was the deal with the perpetually burning house, aside from being the source of many of the film's biggest laughs?

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    POORO YOU FUCKER

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    YaYa wrote: »
    POORO YOU FUCKER

YAYA I AM OUT OF MY GODDAMN GOURD RIGHT NOW
    I WENT TO THE GYM AT 1:30 IN THE MORNING JUST FOR SOMETHING TO DO THAT DIDN'T REQUIRE THINKING

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST MASTURBATE

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

SPENT ALL LAST NIGHT FUCKIN THINKING MAYBE THAT'D BE THE CURE FOR WHAT AILS
    IF I TRIED JERKIN' IT, MY DICK WOULD JUST SPIT BONE MARROW

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

SPENT ALL LAST NIGHT FUCKIN THINKING MAYBE THAT'D BE THE CURE FOR WHAT AILS
    IF IT'D TRIED JERKIN' IT, MY DICK JUST WOULD'VE SPAT BONE MARROW

WELL SHIT I'M OUT OF IDEAS

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But back to the topics at hand.

Syndecdoche is brilliant yet confounding, like a Pynchon novel set to screen and with a few more titties

Rachel Getting Married is fucking fantastic and all you fuckers had better see it when it goes to wide release on Friday

And Slumdog Millionaire is very technically competent, but is only emotionally satisfying to people who would ever describe a piece of art as "Too depressing" and think the remark was a valid piece of criticism

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    what about The Wrestler

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    what about The Wrestler

Very, very good.

But as a character study, I felt it was a little too cold and analytical. It was very deep, and very insightful, don't get me wrong. But as exemplified by the way the tracking shots were always from the back, it always felt like Ram was under observation. Under a microscope. I never felt like I was inside his head, or like I empathized with him. It felt more like a documentary of an interesting dude than a genuine portrait of a fleshed out character.

After all, Raging Bull gave us the scene in the prison cell.

The Wrestler did, however, have the absolute best use of a credits song that I have ever, ever seen.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    thanks pooro

basically i need to see it again, but i agree with the preacher scene being the pivotal point

Faricazy on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    what about The Wrestler

Very, very good.

But as a character study, I felt it was a little too cold and analytical. It was very deep, and very insightful, don't get me wrong. But as exemplified by the way the tracking shots were always from the back, it always felt like Ram was under observation. Under a microscope. I never felt like I was inside his head, or like I empathized with him. It felt more like a documentary of an interesting dude than a genuine portrait of a fleshed out character.

After all, Raging Bull gave us the scene in the prison cell.

The Wrestler did, however, have the absolute best use of a credits song that I have ever, ever seen.

The way it was filmed and how effective that visual style was comes down to personal taste, but I felt like I got to know the guy extremely well through how realistic everything was. I guess it kind of felt like a documentary, but it showed all the aspects of him and his life, his way of thinking and his selfishness in a completely unbiased manner. It showed him for who he is, plain and simple, with no pretensions whatsoever.

But then again, sometimes I think maybe the movie was trying to have a slightly different take on the classic character study. It was trying to make a point, send a message, show the audience the big philosophical ideas it was trying to portray through the main character. The ending is so profoundly powerful, not just because of Randy's path leading up to that moment, but because it's also a broader statement on the human condition; ideas regarding purpose and such.

Urian on