Options

Afro Samurai the game based on the anime based on the manga.

• Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    Faffel wrote: »
    I refuse to trust IGN ever since their every goddamn thing review. Staying optimistic for this.

Fixed.

They review good games good, but they also review bad games good.

And then they did the God Hand review. Jesus.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    honestly still playing, fo sho a fun as hell game. Not a ton of depth, but great hack and slash.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I refuse to trust IGN ever since their every goddamn thing review. Staying optimistic for this.

Fixed.

They review good games good, but they also review bad games good.

And then they did the God Hand review. Jesus.

I need to check that review out for myself I think...

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Zephos wrote: »
    honestly still playing, fo sho a fun as hell game. Not a ton of depth, but great hack and slash.

Then Ill love it. Hands down. Heh. It looks sexy, and its a hack n slash, that is all I freakin need.

Edit: Ok I read it. WOW was that a horrible review. I dont even wish to go on about it but wow. I think thats all that needs to be said. One thing I also like is that at the end of the review where they give the scores for presentation and dialogue and graphics and what not, they gave them all like, a 5, a 6, a 7, a 2, and a 5. Now....they gave the game a fucking 3. I know they cleary state "this is not an average" but what the fuck kind of weird thinking is that?

Theyre fucking idiots and that pissed me off...

mastrius on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Its definitly not the ZOMG amazing of the Play interview, but its certianly better than the IGN review puts it out to be. (in my opinion at least, 2 hours into the game)

people need to look past a lot of things in media and see things for what they are made to be... ENTERTAINMENT... i dont look to watch an oscar winner every time i go to the movies.

I really don't think this game will win any awards, but god damn if it isnt fun as shit.

Zephos on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Then Ill love it. Hands down. Heh. It looks sexy, and its a hack n slash, that is all I freakin need.

Edit: Ok I read it. WOW was that a horrible review. I dont even wish to go on about it but wow. I think thats all that needs to be said. One thing I also like is that at the end of the review where they give the scores for presentation and dialogue and graphics and what not, they gave them all like, a 5, a 6, a 7, a 2, and a 5. Now....they gave the game a fucking 3. I know they cleary state "this is not an average" but what the fuck kind of weird thinking is that?

Theyre fucking idiots and that pissed me off...

Not to mention all the screen shots are from the first stage.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Its definitly not the ZOMG amazing of the Play interview, but its certianly better than the IGN review puts it out to be. (in my opinion at least, 2 hours into the game)

people need to look past a lot of things in media and see things for what they are made to be... ENTERTAINMENT... i dont look to watch an oscar winner every time i go to the movies.

I really don't think this game will win any awards, but god damn if it isnt fun as shit.

Dont worry, Ill definitely be playing this game at some point. I would soon but my 360 is sort of dead and needs repairs at the moment so Im shit out of luck. The game looks pretty sweet and honestly, I LOVE hack n slashers, especially super gory, mega awesome graphics, hack n slashers.

Faffel - Yeah no shit. That was some horribly shitty reviewing on their part. I mean honestly, that whole average thing at the end really got to me. The whole review was trash. (God Hand, not Afro Samurai)

mastrius on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, bought this last night.

The camera is wonky and does irritate me. The reverse camera control thing is a chore to get used to. You will definitely find yourself blocking blindly while you swing the camera around now and then, but I've never died due to the camera. It's more of a low-level irritation.

I've never watched the cartoon, so there's probably a lot of references in here flying over my head, but I loved okami and jet set radio, and this looked like more weeaboo cel shading. It definitely delivers there. I love the thick, simple lines that look pencilled on to the characters. Movement is fluid. Visually, I think pretty much every 3d game since around quake II has looked almost exactly the same, and this doesn't look like that. So for that alone I have to give the game some credit.

I think for most people this would probably be a rental, but there's definitely a demographic that would find this worth buying. It took me a bit to "get" the slow-mo thing, but when I fought my first ninja and watched her leap upwards in bullet time, saw my white horizontal line going through her left foot, released it and watched her lose one foot, hit the ground and die after bleeding everywhere, I was impressed.

Usually I think attempts at bloody, gory combat like Ninja Gaiden just look silly, but this is cartoony enough that it reminded me of the first time I punched in the code to max out dismemberment in jedi knight II. When you intentionally line up your first "kill two dudes with one slice" move, you're going to know if this is your game or not.

desc on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I might pick this up for a rent solely based on the slices actually cutting the enemies where they hit. I've wanted that since playing Rune. I want a game where the weapon connects, dammit!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The game looks pretty good and I loved the show but I'm waiting on this for many reasons.

Too many games in my back log
    Street Fighter 4, Halo Wars and Resident Evil 5 are coming out in 1 month.
    Honest it does not look like it's worth $60 to me. $20-$30 maybe.

Glad you are having fun with it though.

Artoria on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm liking the game but the boss fights are hard and touchy some times. Theres a boss fight with
    Number 6 with a flame thrower
    that sometimes borders on bullshit when he does his knock back attack before you can even strike him. Music and the visuals are great. The sound track to this game is just shy of perfect. I love that alot of the dialouge comes right from the anime and the stuff they added in fits in well so far. (I'm upto Okiko's story...3rd chapter-ish). Ninja Ninja doesn't trot behind you but appears in plenty of cut scenes and when you use the "Ninja compass" he pops up to help point you in the right direction.

I'd give the game a 7.5/10 and if price is an issue pick it up used, gamefly it, or wait for the price drop.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah that boss fight is pretty lame, i just finished it.

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ugh cant figure out the
    rpg boss...

edit: got it.

Zephos on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game looks to be sweet. Want want want.

Think there'll be used copies lying around somewhere? I'll be damned if I pay full price for a game since Prince Of Persia(AMAZING game, but short).

Kazaka on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Give it a month Kazaka...theres bound to be returns once people beat it

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Any idea if there is an adaptive difficulty thing? i swear after a failure on a boss they get easier.

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Not that I noticed last night. The only boss that killed me numerous times is the one I mentioned earlier. The boss before him,
    Swordmaster
    I lost to because I screwed up Parry to many times.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Also, never seen the show. And I wasn't aware it was a manga first?

You're not missing out.

Trust me.

Not missing out on the manga or the show? I can't speak for the manga, but the show kicked ass. Weird, brutal, and some serious style. The soundtrack was great, too. Unless you like the ever-growing mountain of anime shows that either take themselves way too seriously or are childish crap, Afro Samurai is some great entertainment.

Show.

Don't know anything about the manga. The rest? It's just as generic as the junk we already get.

You're right about the soundtrack, and I will praise it's animation and art style. As far as actual setting/plot/substance? Practically nil to gratuitous.

Game looks good though, and if it's fun, hey. Grab it. I can play Afro Samurai. Watching it is something else though.

I'm not an anime geek by any stretch of the imagination, but AS really hit the sweet spot for me. It's really stylish, has some awesome fight scenes in it and Samuel L. Fucking Jackson. Ron Perlman did a kickass VO, too.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just got this yesterday on 360.

The camera is terribad for sure, the story jumps all over the fucking place, and the platforming is awkward. Lucky for the game that the combat is awesome and the music/VAs and graphics are all stellar.

I CAN name something this game has that Ninja Gaiden doesn't: ass chopping. I literally chopped someone's asscheeks off.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Toefoo wrote: »
    I CAN name something this game has that Ninja Gaiden doesn't: ass chopping. I literally chopped someone's asscheeks off.

GOTY '09.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

GOTY '09.

Hah, i did this today, then promptly paused it to force my roomate to come see it.

I dont have much issue with the camera, although at times it can be a bitch when trying to play body part poker.

The platforming however, i'm pretty annoyed with. The Empty 7 part 2 room i'm looking at you....

Zephos on
  • Options
    dolemelangedolemelange Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just got this yesterday on 360.

The camera is terribad for sure, the story jumps all over the fucking place, and the platforming is awkward. Lucky for the game that the combat is awesome and the music/VAs and graphics are all stellar.

Ya I'm not particularly a fan of the platforming but the action is pretty badass! :)

dolemelange on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The action is Bloody amazing!!! pun intended.

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anyone have any tips for the fight with Justice?

Edit: Got it, damn fun game, cant wait for the playthrough with the number 1 headband.

and in the credits i saw a listing for "Downloadable episode story" Moar content? yes please.

Anyone else playing notice a few lines erily similar to some of Samuel L. Jacksons most famous movie quotes?

Zephos on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, I saw a few videos to this game. Looks fun. Good to hear that the opinion on the game is positive on the combat. I guess I'm in a mindless fun mood at the moment. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Any differences between PS3 and 360?

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some of the dialogue in this game is really really meta and fourth-wall breaking. Also hilarious.

Anywho, I just beat it last night. Fun enough game, even though the camera was designed by Satan. Glad I only rented it.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Windowlicker77Windowlicker77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Marikir wrote: »
    Well, I saw a few videos to this game. Looks fun. Good to hear that the opinion on the game is positive on the combat. I guess I'm in a mindless fun mood at the moment. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Any differences between PS3 and 360?

I'm curious if there are any differances myself anyone know? My Xbox RROD on me so I was going to get it on the PS3. From your guys comments it sounds good to me can't wait to try it out! Slicing ass cheeks o_O oh yeah.

Windowlicker77 on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just picked this up to review for the paper. So far it's pretty fun, though it seems a bit buggy (PS3 version for the review). Sometimes dialogue gets stuck on the screen until the next cut scene.

Also, the platforming is pretty hit or miss. I understand it's primarily a beat-em-up game, but some of these jumping segments really take me out of the moment.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's kinda like a better looking, slightly less fun, easier boss battle version of No More Heroes, with shitty platforming tacked on.

The platforming blows, the camera sucks, and the PS3 version has no trophies.

Very fun, and very weird though. Worth a rental, or maybe a sub $20 purchase.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That no trophies thing confuses me. Does Sony not require it like Microsoft?

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »

Every game certified after January 2009 has to have trophy support. This one just slipped by.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Every game certified after January 2009 has to have trophy support. This one just slipped by.

Thats a little discouraging that it can just 'slip by'. Not that trophies really add much to the game for me, but it would be nice I guess, and I can't imagine it's that hard to implement.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm an achievement whore, so the lack of trophies in many of the PS3 games seriously pushes me to buy it on the 360. :( It sucks, sure, but that's how I roll.

Kinda annoyed that Valkyria Chronicles doesn't have any.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I would say that gamerscore means nothing to me, but then I remember the 30th run through of Dead Rising to get just one more achievement.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That is kind of disappointing there is not trophies for the PS, my Xbox is still out of commission so I got it on PS3. I did get it cheaper on Ebay so that helps. I'm looking forward to trying it out at least.

Windowlicker77 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Further review, spoiled in case of, uh, spoilers.
    The good:

- Beautiful graphics, very smooth animation
    - Cutting people into various pieces is highly entertaining
    - Voice acting is superb, you'll feel like Jackson is sitting beside you on the couch
    - Combat is simple to master

The Bad:

- Goes from easy to hard to easy with no real reason
    - Some enemies use cheap attacks that can't be dodged or blocked
    - Bosses range from laughable to stupidly hard, also with no reason
    - Story is nonsensical unless you know the show
    - Camera wants you to get raped. A lot.
    - For being a ninja, you really can't do a lot of awesome acrobatics
    - Barely interactive environments
    - Gives you little or no instruction on what to do or where to go next, what it does give you is vague

As you can see, the negative seems to outweigh the positive. Maybe a rental, but I wouldn't purchase it at $60.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The good:

- Voice acting is superb, you'll feel like Jackson is sitting beside you on the couch

The Bad:

- Gives you little or no instruction on what to do or where to go next, what it does give you is vague

As you can see, the negative seems to outweigh the positive. Maybe a rental, but I wouldn't purchase it at $60.

Where is this review posted? Some of those negative points don't make sense.
    "For being a ninja" you aren't a ninja your a samurai thats a huge differance and even in the anime Afro doesn't pull off super moves he is a ronin samurai if anything.

"Barely interactive enivroments" do you need interactive for a hack n slash?

"Gives you little or no instruction" Look at a guide if you can't figure it out, maybe you should explore the non-interactive enviroments

Who ever wrote this review is just lazy and nitpicky.

Windowlicker77 on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

The Bad:

Afro Samurai

edited:

beated

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The good:

The Bad:

Where is this review posted? Some of those negative points don't make sense.
    "For being a ninja" you aren't a ninja your a samurai thats a huge differance and even in the anime Afro doesn't pull off super moves he is a ronin samurai if anything.

"Barely interactive enivroments" do you need interactive for a hack n slash?

"Gives you little or no instruction" Look at a guide if you can't figure it out, maybe you should explore the non-interactive enviroments

Who ever wrote this review is just lazy and nitpicky.

Actually, I wrote the review, and those are some of the points. It's not the full review, but I'll post it if anyone cares.

I'll take back the ninja thing, sorry, poor choice of words. But it is frustrating to be able to do all these cool wall runs and jumps and then be totally unable to leap a waist high fence.

As for the environments, they are boring, sorry. What is there, one type of urn that falls apart? With all the power of today's systems, it would have been really nice to see some sort of damage when you hit something with a sword, maybe some things to knock over, etc. The environments just feel too big and empty.

On the guidance thing, I wasn't looking for the 'magic floor' that a lot of games use these days. But there were several points in the game where I ran around aimlessly until I triggered something to move forward. The two other people that have played the game with me have commented on the same thing, and I think some sort of on screen prompts or clues or something would make the game flow much better.

Overall it's an enjoyable game, it just feels like it could have been so much cooler than what it is. My biggest problem with it is that it seems rushed and somewhat unfinished, which is a shame because I was really hoping for an awesome hack and slash.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The good:

Overall it's an enjoyable game, it just feels like it could have been so much cooler than what it is. My biggest problem with it is that it seems rushed and somewhat unfinished, which is a shame because I was really hoping for an awesome hack and slash.

you confuse me.

Then again this coming from someone who absolutely loves the game. on my 2nd playthrough and still having a blast.

Zephos on