Options

Your friends don't [chat] and if they don't [chat] then they're no friends of mine

• Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I posit that there are no eternal truths
    Gravity is down.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I posit my back hurts and sitting like this stacks my belly fat up

i'ma lay in bed and watch tv

Medopine on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

some things are
    some things are not

Alternatively:

"there are no eternal truths" itself posits an eternal truth

ISN'T PHILOSOPHY FUN!?

Hachface on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I posit there there are no eternal boners

obviously you've never had sex with me

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    Except that's not an answer either. "I prefer things I prefer." ok, great. WHY do you prefer things you prefer?

It's, really, a question of how one stakes a claim when there exists always the possibility of asking why a claim was staked.

It's kind of like Mindy from Animaniacs. She kept asking "why" until she eventually said, "OK, I love you buh bye!".

But why stop asking why?

Because at the end of that chain of "whys" you, or somebody else, has to make a positive assertion. Everyone does this. It can be moral or ethical in nature, it can be an article of faith, or it can be epistemological. When you've drilled down that far, the new most interesting question becomes "how."

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

some things are
    some things are not

Alternatively:

"there are no eternal truths" itself posits an eternal truth

ISN'T PHILOSOPHY FUN!?
    The only truth lies in paradox.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Any philosophy discussion that uses the word "posit" is totally ghey.

Yar on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I posit there there are no eternal boners
    This can actually be proven. Don't boners have a four-hour time limit?

If it lasts any longer call the number on the bottle.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    stilist wrote: »
    Gravity is down.

gravity hasn't always 'existed' though or at least our knowledge of it hasn't

it also changes in certain situation, and even know it is very poorly understood

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    I posit my back hurts and sitting like this stacks my belly fat up

i'ma lay in bed and watch tv

and thus ends the debate chat?

<3 medo

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The boner that can be named is not the eternal boner.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All I can say is that right now I'm glad Podly's not here

Hachface on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ITT we find out Sarksus is an objectivist.

I'm not an objectivist. I'm humoring his argument and then countering it within the context of his argument.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kilroy wrote: »
    The boner that can be named is not the eternal boner.
    Oh, him? Yeah, he’s been hangin’ around for years. Ignore ’im.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited February 2009

because he would say something that no one would understand that would take 5 pages to decipher?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

because he would say nothing that would take 5 pages to decipher?

Hachface on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    My point is, there's nothing inherently better about discovering eternal truths than spending your time trying to help other people. When you die those truths will still exist, yes, but they existed before you discovered them anyway. It didn't matter one bit to anyone besides yourself that you discovered them, so spending time on this is as fruitless, by your logic as I understand it, as helping other people while you are still alive.

So it's ALL meaningless and futile Or it's ALL meaningful...but one can't be meaningful and the other not meaningful.

hmm

_J_ on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If it lasts any longer call the number on the bottle.
    I always imagined the four-hour boner as something out of a really fucked-up episode of star trek - around 3 hours and fifty eight minutes, a version of Scotty in your body is screaming "IT CANNAE TAKE MUCH MORE AE THIS!" while the gauges and meters are all going in overdrive, flashing lights and sirens, and when the big 4-0 tips over they all just go back down to normal and get all limp, never to rise again.

It's pretty scary when you think about it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Duffel there's one thing I like about you and it's your vivid imagination

Hachface on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So it's ALL meaningless and futile Or it's ALL meaningful...but one can't be meaningful and the other not meaningful.

hmm
    Find a contradiction and then explain it by calling it "duality." It's fun.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Poldy knows how to keep it going.

_J_ on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My point is, there's nothing inherently better about discovering eternal truths than spending your time trying to help other people. When you die those truths will still exist, yes, but they existed before you discovered them anyway. It didn't matter one bit to anyone besides yourself that you discovered them, so spending time on this is as fruitless, by your logic as I understand it, as helping other people while you are still alive.

hmm

Or "meaning" is a false distinction.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

hmm

If you say that helping other people is meaningless because you will eventually die and you won't have anything to show for it you can say the same thing about discovering eternal truths. To keep your argument consistent both pursuits would have to be meaningless, not one or the other.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Duffel there's one thing I like about you and it's your vivid imagination
    aw, shucks.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Did someone say Philosophy?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    but seriously folks if you have a four hour boner please see a doctor
    it's probably a fatal blood clot and you are going to die

Hachface on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmmmm... I'm thinking henna, leather, or bronze for my second city.

Probably gonna go with henna. It'll let me manufacture cosmetics without trading, or perfume with trading.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You know I wish I was capable of this level of discourse in my philosophy class but for some reason I can't think when I'm listening to a lecture and nothing interesting pops out.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know I wish I was capable of this level of discourse in my philosophy class but for some reason I can't think when I'm listening to a lecture and nothing interesting pops out.
    The professor in the one philosophy class I tried to take had that same problem.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I hate it when I'm in a lecture class and have an incisive comment in my head but fail to communicate it properly when I open my mouth.

It's not even like I can't find the words--the thought is perfectly articulated in my head, and if I was writing it, it would come out. I'm just a terrible speaker and lose the words between my brain and my mouth.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

hmm

If you say that helping other people is meaningless because you will eventually die and you won't have anything to show for it you can say the same thing about discovering eternal truths. To keep your argument consistent both pursuits would have to be meaningless, not one or the other.

That's not true at all. Helping one person could be deemed inconsequential on a long timeline whereas discovering something influential and eternal will have lasting ramifications.

I bet there were some pretty swell medics and nurses a hundred years ago but while their impact on a few lives may have been great the last effect of their work has diminished substantially over time.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

try treating your lecture as a personal discussion between you and the professor.

of course it helps if you talk to the professor outside of class.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Turok is the story of a man with no shirt who kills things constantly. He runs a lot and jumps a lot. Sometimes when he climbs really high he is out of breath. And he can swim! This is the conclusion of my book report on Turok, the end.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    Turok is the story of a man with no shirt who kills things constantly. He runs a lot and jumps a lot. Sometimes when he climbs really high he is out of breath. And he can swim! This is the conclusion of my book report on Turok, the end.

A++ WOULD READ AGAIN

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

That's not true at all. Helping one person could be deemed inconsequential on a long timeline whereas discovering something influential and eternal will have lasting ramifications.

I bet there were some pretty swell medics and nurses a hundred years ago but while their impact on a few lives may have been great the last effect of their work has diminished substantially over time.

two things

1. Einstein falls deathly ill before completing his best work. A physician saves his life. Could it not be said that the physician's work is as enduring as Einstein's, since it made Einstein's work possible?

2. If you're evaluating worth over a long enough timeline--say, until the heath death of the universe--influential discoveries do indeed become inconsequential.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

hmm

That's not what we're talking about, though. That kind of information serves a practical purpose and it's preserved beyond the death of who discovered it. We're talking about "eternal truths", what J calls what comes out of philosophical thought. We're saying, "ascend into your ivory tower, isolate yourself from the world, and philosophize". You won't necessarily share this with anyone else, it's for your benefit only, and even if you did it will most likely not serve any practical purpose because that's not the point of doing it in the first place.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

That's where I usually go. Understanding an eternal truth is pretty damn awesome because it is eternal.

Except if I die, and everyone to whom I tell the truth dies, then I have to come up with some manner in which my having known it was meaningful.

It can't be meaningful as a result of some component of myself having known it, because I die and then it's gone. So it has to be meaningful unto the truth itself. But if the truth is self-sufficiently meaningful where do I fit into that?

And I think, at the end of a lot of rambling, that I don't fit into it.

So that little rabbit hole folded in on itself.

A lot of this is coming out of discussions I've been having this semester with a bunch of fucking pragmatists. And they're all "woo hoo help society" and I'm all "fuck you guys". And I'm trying to figure out how that conversation eventually ends. But without any firm foundation I think that both sides end up dissolving into nothingness.

_J_ on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know the phrase "I just threw up a little in my mouth"? I would like to replace it with "My soul just threw up all over your face". Who's with me?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

try treating your lecture as a personal discussion between you and the professor.

of course it helps if you talk to the professor outside of class.

The problem I have is that I just can't think. When I read someone's post on the forum here my response almost spontaneously coalesces inside of my mind without any thinking on my part. Then I look it over, clean it up a bit, and I type out a response with tremendous ease. When I'm listening to my professor, however, I can't think and I can't fabricate a response.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    man, i gotta say. i love philosophy but hate talking about the meaning of existence.

Dunadan019 on
This discussion has been closed.