As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team Fortress 2: Sandman becomes Nerfbat, Scouts become Emos

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh yeah, and Dustbowl is the best map. Goldrush is second best.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm fairly partial to Hydro, myself.

I love Hydro, and I still get some good games on it every now and then, but damn after the third stalemate in a row that map can just fuck right off.

Kinda like 2fort.

Dustbowl really is the one map I can just always play. That doesn't mean I want to, or I'd choose to, but I'm never going to be annoyed that Dustbowl's up. Ever. It's like the McChicken sandwich of maps. It's always going to be good enough, and sometimes it's fantastic.

On that note of hydro, anyone have an idea if that problem can be solved? Im kinda in the same boat in that I enjoy hydro, except when it becomes a never ending stalemate. Im thinking something like after 2 stalemates the teams are scrambled, or it automatically gives it to one team or something. Scamblling the teams may not be the best idea but something along those lines to help push the map along.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    gravel pit->freight->badwater->dustbowl->cp well->hydro->goldrush->ctf well->2 fort->the rest

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only way to fix Hydro (or 2fort) would be to change the map to include additional routes, Some of the maps are pretty winnable, but the one with the pit is a good example of the bad maps, because it's extremely hard to push through that middle area (and there's no other route to take). They'd have to go through an retool the various sections of Hydro, which would be a huge task, especially because of how Hydro maps are so interconnected.

2fort's problem is similar. The map lacks routes, so that it's possible to lock it down with a single sentry gun.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    KA-BLAMO!

That's the worst blue-dot post ever.

hey nerd

i had already made multiple posts that were just as un-poignant

oh yeah, and... That's the worst blue-dot post, ever. nerd

also, i think i would like to kiss mandy

on the mouth

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The only way to fix Hydro (or 2fort) would be to change the map to include additional routes, Some of the maps are pretty winnable, but the one with the pit is a good example of the bad maps, because it's extremely hard to push through that middle area (and there's no other route to take). They'd have to go through an retool the various sections of Hydro, which would be a huge task, especially because of how Hydro maps are so interconnected.

2fort's problem is similar. The map lacks routes, so that it's possible to lock it down with a single sentry gun.

hey, at least they put in two routes around the pit.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    2fort is definitely better than ctf well. Not as easy to spawn camp.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    tube commented about off topic talk at the end of the last thread so keep your shit on target. i know it always devolves into bullshit the last couple of pages but still.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    whatever happened to that new game type everyone thought we were gettin' with the update?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    whatever happened to that new game type everyone thought we were gettin' with the update?

we didn't get it

true story

mcdermott on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    God, I hated playing the scout before the update. Now its my favorite class. its jumped from like the 7th or 8th on my "most played" list to third (behind spy and sniper, but I bet that'll change soon too). I can't get enough of the sandman; and screw the naysayers, the FaN is awesome!

Anywho, Ill jump on the servers later tonight if anyones playing.
    Catgirls will be brought

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Bear CavalryBear Cavalry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man, gonna reinstall this, scout was my favorite class.

e- maybe i should change my avvie lol

Bear Cavalry on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Catgirls will be brought
    What?

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm just thinking maybe they should bring back grenades. it's not like it can get much worse guys.

We are talking sky is falling levels here.

I wish they would just add more TFC shit into the game. Like the good ole maps. I want to play that soccer game or whatever the hell that was.

I want to have a punching match with gabe newell and i would just fucking own him with a doughnuts distraction.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Costanza, why are you such a negative nancy?

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    His post was actually pretty positive and hopeful:

"I wish..."

"I want to..."

Just ignore the punching part.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Costanza, why are you such a negative nancy?

He came in 2nd behind Lyle Lovett in the world's sexiest hair competition.

Also tf2 is becoming increasingly frustrating over the last month.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

Maybe, but what does that have to do with TFC?

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Catgirls will be brought
    What?
    An objection was raised by Flippy_D to the use of the passive voice . ITT: We discuss grammar.

In all seriousness, the Scout update broke my multicore support which makes Tuftoo run like crap for me. But I'm glad I don't have to put up some some of the Sandman butthurt and Spy backstab drama that seems to repeat every other page in this thread

Gaffero on
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there a way to change the duck key to a toggle instead of a hold?

Raughn on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hydro is not credit to any team

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Raughn wrote: »
    Is there a way to change the duck key to a toggle instead of a hold?

there are scripts to do this, yes. i don't know where, though.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I *like* Scout, and I want the new weapons, but I can't see myself getting enough achievements to do so. Also, I hate played Scout when my team already has three. Getting 20 medic achievements was easy (getting 39 was not but thank god they changed that) because none of them required the unlocked weapons. A lot of scout achievements seem to require that you already have the scout unlocks, and I'm not real fond of it.

(I kinda have this problem with the Heavy update as well (only have 6 achievements there) but it seems more severe with the Scout (only 3 achievements so far))

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ToastmoldToastmold Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish your default disguised weapon remained the primary gun.

Toastmold on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

Maybe, but what does that have to do with TFC?

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

but I could care less

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm just thinking maybe they should bring back grenades. it's not like it can get much worse guys.

We are talking sky is falling levels here.

I wish they would just add more TFC shit into the game. Like the good ole maps. I want to play that soccer game or whatever the hell that was.

I want to have a punching match with gabe newell and i would just fucking own him with a doughnuts distraction.
    Medic infecting enemy teams and Spies feigning death and dropping hallucinatory drugs is what we need most.

TFC was the balls.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The best custom map is BALLOON RACE. :D

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If by dustbowl, you mean dbheights, then yes it is
    Moar liek demobowl, mirite?D:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I *like* Scout, and I want the new weapons, but I can't see myself getting enough achievements to do so. Also, I hate played Scout when my team already has three. Getting 20 medic achievements was easy (getting 39 was not but thank god they changed that) because none of them required the unlocked weapons. A lot of scout achievements seem to require that you already have the scout unlocks, and I'm not real fond of it.

(I kinda have this problem with the Heavy update as well (only have 6 achievements there) but it seems more severe with the Scout (only 3 achievements so far))

It's really not that hard. I'm a terrible scout and I got enough for the FAN without any undue exertion of effort, and I'm at 12 (13?)/15 for the Sandman without much more effort than that.

What helps is if you scroll through achievements, pick out one that doesn't look too difficult for your map (ie: stealing home on granary/well), and then make an effort to get that achievement that round, or just pick one at random and make a conscious effort at getting it that life (ie, play a lot more cautiously than normal for Bat Man). If it doesn't work, pick another and move on; you're still putting in time on the very long progressive ones (Race for the Pennant, Year to Remember, Setting the table, etc), and I find trying and failing to get the same achievement over and over for map after map gets very mentally exhausting quickly.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dustbowl is a clusterfuck of doom. That is my opinion on it.

da newb on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are there still people whining about unlocks, achievements, and the morality of farming and unlock programs?

May as well rename the thread Sisyphus Fortress 2.

I'm thinking of moving my server over to 3 wins in a row for arena matches, as RandomEngy suggested. I look at it like this: Match 1: Team A fights Team B cold, B wins. Team C has a round to observe Team B before they go in to battle with them. If B wins again, A didn't have a chance to talk amongst themselves and form a strategy from observation. By giving it a three win limit that means the "winning team" successfully defeat teams that had a fair chance to plan against them.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Has the Scout population gone back to normal levels yet?

I want to play Medic again.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    da newb wrote: »
    Dustbowl is a clusterfuck of doom. That is my opinion on it.

i'm posting from dustbowl right now. i assure you it is awesome.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Egypt's a pretty rad map. Except for the second point where it can be sentried up to all hell.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hate Egypt.

I fucking love the last map in Gold Rush though.

mostly because those little corridors are really good for pyros.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Has the Scout population gone back to normal levels yet?

I want to play Medic again.

The population remains elevated; you'll generally see between one and four scouts a game. However, I reiterate that medics win games, so if you feel the urge to play Medic indulge it.

I did so tonight, and won lots of games.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    i'm posting from dustbowl right now. i assure you it is awesome.
    gravelpit is the best map and if you say otherwise, including dustbowl, you are a bad person.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Egypt's a pretty rad map. Except for the second point where it can be sentried up to all hell.

egypt is a blighted terrorscape whose only purpose is to kill fun.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Egypt would be fun if the defending team was incapable of building more than one sentry gun at a time.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    dustbowl is a really well designed map that flows incredibly well. you can put up a monster defense and still lose with a well organized push. but at the same time it's harder to pure steamroll teams. it happens but not as bad as some other maps.

that being said probably half my playtime has been on dustbowl and im pretty sick of it.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
This discussion has been closed.