Options

Street Fighter IV! I want to be the very best, like noone ever was!

• Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Holy shit, these people honestly did not understand the best of 3 matches thing.
    ?
    Sorry, I was talking about that Nike Talk thread that was linked earlier. Multiple people were asking for clarification on what the difference between best of three rounds and best of three matches were.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kor wrote:
    That, and I want to know if I'm a cheap player. I do throw, and I don't know how to chain a lot of moves together, so I want to make sure I'm not that guy.

What? What's a "cheap player"?

There are only people that win and people that don't. If you're concerned about being "cheap", you're never going to get good at this. I don't agree with everything Sirlin says, but he is completely right about this. Don't hold yourself back because of some made up rules.

I can usually tell if I'm doing something that my opponent might call "cheap," since when you break it down I think "cheap" usually translates to "move that worked well on me that you did more than once."

Don't have any qualms doing said "cheap" move, but if it's a player match I'll usually tell them how to counter it after the 3rd or 4th time they fall for it, like "you have to block that move high," or "that move is a crossup so you have to block it backwards."

wonderpug on
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    If a tactic is "cheap", there's usually an equally "cheap" way of beating it. If you're stupid enough to fall for it over and over, then you deserved to lose. Thus, balance is preserved.
    It's all good, just as long as you remember to give a mercy round after wining a perfect and try to keep your cigarettes off the the P2 start button.

I got caught giving out perfects and losing a 2 out of 3 before, so never again.

I got so many dirty looks from scrubs over the years, but hey, I had a win streak to maintain. It almost got physical a couple of times, but the places I went to had bouncers. :D

/my first win streak was in VF2, 64 wins!
    /my biggest one was in MvC2, 116 wins, undefeated. My friends that came along wanted to kill me after 4+ hours :p

----

As for the SF4 theme song, at least you can put it in Japanese, and it doesn't sound as bad. I'm gonna take you for a ride was 1000 times worse.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, I main;d Sagat at first, hes good but not that fun, so i abandoned him for awhile. Then ive been playing abel, which is great but variety is great. Who should i third? any ideas for a fresh char? prob not charge, im not so good with them

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Well, I main;d Sagat at first, hes good but not that fun, so i abandoned him for awhile. Then ive been playing abel, which is great but variety is great. Who should i third? any ideas for a fresh char? prob not charge, im not so good with them

Play a charge character. You'll learn a lot, both on how to play one and how to defend against one. Better yet, play Blanka or Boxer.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If they keep on eating a low sweep on wake-up by neglecting to block low or whipping out a wake up move, that is not your problem.

This reminds me of one of my first SFIV online matches. I got this guy knocked down in the corner and I got right in front of him and spammed Blanka's electricity. For the rest of the match.

I felt really bad about it but I wanted to see how long I could do it for before he would block or SRK or SOMETHING. Apparently I could do it forever.

Paincakes, I keep getting invites from you but I'm always in the middle of a game with one of my friends, or my girlfriend wants to watch a show, or something else. Sorry about that! Persist and we will duke it out once more.

Haha, don't sweat it. I just tell myself you don't want another thrashing.

Seriously though, we have to throw down again soon!

sadly i did receive quite a thrashing, and i would like to receive more :P

i have yet to find a normal for Sagat that beats the ball clean. almost anything trades - mk, hk, mp - but nothing seems to beat it.

except a shoryuken, of course, but that's usually not fast enough.

cr.jab beats blanka ball clean. Seriously.

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »
    No, it was an in game message that just said good game. Is that a function of the game or the XMB?
    It's a function of the XMB. I don't think there's any specific messaging system built into SF4. Did the good game message appear on the top right corner of the screen in a dark gray box? Can you see the message in your XMB messages area?

It was in the top right corner.
    Yep, that's through the XMB.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

Play a charge character. You'll learn a lot, both on how to play one and how to defend against one. Better yet, play Blanka or Boxer.

Hmmm, id love to play Boxer actually (i hate blanka too much to play as that mama lovin bastard :D). Or maybe Bison? Who would be easiest to start a charge character as, because when it comes to charge combos, i drop the soap.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If they keep on eating a low sweep on wake-up by neglecting to block low or whipping out a wake up move, that is not your problem.

This reminds me of one of my first SFIV online matches. I got this guy knocked down in the corner and I got right in front of him and spammed Blanka's electricity. For the rest of the match.

I felt really bad about it but I wanted to see how long I could do it for before he would block or SRK or SOMETHING. Apparently I could do it forever.

Paincakes, I keep getting invites from you but I'm always in the middle of a game with one of my friends, or my girlfriend wants to watch a show, or something else. Sorry about that! Persist and we will duke it out once more.

Haha, don't sweat it. I just tell myself you don't want another thrashing.

Seriously though, we have to throw down again soon!

sadly i did receive quite a thrashing, and i would like to receive more :P

i have yet to find a normal for Sagat that beats the ball clean. almost anything trades - mk, hk, mp - but nothing seems to beat it.

except a shoryuken, of course, but that's usually not fast enough.

cr.jab beats blanka ball clean. Seriously.

i knew i'd have to bind a button to jab eventually.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jabs are key

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    so are throws, but throwing with the button config i use is very difficult without a dedicated throw button

i made my decision

i'll probably just learn a new config.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Caenem wrote: »
    So my ps3 fs3 fightstick shows up yesterday and I patiently wait till about 11pm since everyone is asleep and I've got my quality time with my tv and console. About 10 minutes into using the stick my wife stumbles out of the room all bleary eyed asking "What is all that clicking noise?"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo

I can't use my damn stick at night because it "clicks too loud". I can't use it during the day because my 21 month old is immediately going to want to grab and pull on the stick and wire. What kind of freaking twilight zone hell am I stuck in?!

Uh, now that she knows what the noise is, she'll quickly learn to ignore it. :P

How far is the bedroom from where the TV is? I had the same problems playing games at night because the bedroom and the living room share a wall. So now when she goes to bed she closes the door and it's all good as long as I don't have the volume too loud. The only exception to this is playing drums on Rock Band/Guitar hero.

It's not so much how far the bedroom is or even that it shares a wall. The layout of this house has a pretty crazy echo effect in certain spots. One such spot is of course my living room :( It's not the tv volume that's the problem, it's the CLACK CLACK CLICKITY CLACK of the controller that's the issue. I'm thinking of getting rid of the controller anyway. I'd have to use the regular ps3 controller for 90% of the week so the fightstick isn't really all that necessary. Damn me for finding that out now though. :|

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dragonsama wrote: »
    So my ps3 fs3 fightstick shows up yesterday and I patiently wait till about 11pm since everyone is asleep and I've got my quality time with my tv and console. About 10 minutes into using the stick my wife stumbles out of the room all bleary eyed asking "What is all that clicking noise?"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo

I can't use my damn stick at night because it "clicks too loud". I can't use it during the day because my 21 month old is immediately going to want to grab and pull on the stick and wire. What kind of freaking twilight zone hell am I stuck in?!

Uh, now that she knows what the noise is, she'll quickly learn to ignore it. :P

How far is the bedroom from where the TV is? I had the same problems playing games at night because the bedroom and the living room share a wall. So now when she goes to bed she closes the door and it's all good as long as I don't have the volume too loud. The only exception to this is playing drums on Rock Band/Guitar hero.

It's not so much how far the bedroom is or even that it shares a wall. The layout of this house has a pretty crazy echo effect in certain spots. One such spot is of course my living room :( It's not the tv volume that's the problem, it's the CLACK CLACK CLICKITY CLACK of the controller that's the issue. I'm thinking of getting rid of the controller anyway. I'd have to use the regular ps3 controller for 90% of the week so the fightstick isn't really all that necessary. Damn me for finding that out now though. :|

Your best option is a custom Happ build with a P360 stick. It's analog(possibly optical can't remember) so no clicking, use sanwa buttons tho since happ buttons do click, the only issue would be the bat top but if you don't have a preferance thats the best bet.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am sure that someone here will be willing to take the item off your hands. Or you can just learn to press the buttons really gently. Or wrap a sock around the stick buttons. :P

thepassenger on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait...a simple cr. jab can beat Blanka's horz. roll. Is that universal? If it is...glorious.

You know it's funny how every day I find the simplest solutions to things give me trouble. Now I just have to figure out Honda's Sumo Splash. I heard backdashing works.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ironman combo at 0:26 is awesome. I'd love to see this on XBL but I wouldn't expect an HD Remix (sooo many characters). I think there would have to be some balancing though with a few characters.

They would need to do some serious balancing IMO. That armor breaking bullshit cable pulled off at the end of the match is lame as hell. And I personally think infinites are stupid, no matter how hard they are to pull off (yes, even Fuerte's infinite is lame).

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Fuerte has an infinite? Is it like Fei longs versus Abel?

edit: Never mind i just saw the loop combo. Looks hard, but yeah kind of lame

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a question about FADC. I've read alot about them, havn't really gone through the trials, so I'm not totally sure about them. But when playing the computer, alot of time, they'll FA to block the attack then punish with a move. Especially when you go to sweep them on wake up. I've had Seth do this, untill he had his ultra bar, use his ultra, and get back to full health. Is this just something the computer can do, or is it a good thing to learn for competitive play?

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Idk with an adjustment to damage scaling similar to how it works in SF4 the huge crazy infinites in MvC2 would not be as huge an issue. I would love to see some MvC2 hd remix. Also just to torture the people either time release characters or make it like the DC versions marathon of play to unlock everything (or sell an everything unlocked key.). I am in the minority that enjoys unlocking things in fighters tho.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tommatt wrote: »
    I have a question about FADC. I've read alot about them, havn't really gone through the trials, so I'm not totally sure about them. But when playing the computer, alot of time, they'll FA to block the attack then punish with a move. Especially when you go to sweep them on wake up. I've had Seth do this, untill he had his ultra bar, use his ultra, and get back to full health. Is this just something the computer can do, or is it a good thing to learn for competitive play?

It's universal. You take damage every time you "block" and attack with a focus attack so it adds to your Ultra bar. But it regenerates over time so as long as you don't get hit you get the health bak.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

as in vs anyone. look for El Fuerte RSF on youtube

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LapineLapine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Ironman combo at 0:26 is awesome. I'd love to see this on XBL but I wouldn't expect an HD Remix (sooo many characters). I think there would have to be some balancing though with a few characters.

Actually, this Kotaku article said that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 HD remix is likely:

http://kotaku.com/5169153/capcom-has-more-hd-remixes-up-its-sleeve-marvel-vs-capcom-2-next

Lapine on
    PSN: Lapine
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    After hearing so much about MvsC2 a few years ago i went out and bought it. I was so dissapointed.

Did not click with me at all but all my button mashing friends loved it.

I understand it can be played on a high level but for me it just was too flashy.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When you use an FA, you take the damage from the attack, but it is grayed out. If you take a hit before that grayed out section regenerates, you lose whatever is still grayed out in additional to the damage from the hit. With lengthy ultra move animations I can see how his entire health bar would regenerate if he had used a lot of it to absorb attacks through FA. It is something that every character can do, I wouldn't recommend doing it too much because if you have a bunch of health grayed out from FAs and then get hit by a random jab, well that jab just did a fuckton of damage. :P

thepassenger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hmm...if they did a MvC Remix I would like supports to work more like in CvT so you can't just spam them out.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

That's not an infinite, that's just a combo.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I neglect FA's and i really shouldnt. Especially with Abels ranged FA. I just think its too risky damnit what with all the Armor Breaking moves being thrown around...

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Idk with an adjustment to damage scaling similar to how it works in SF4 the huge crazy infinites in MvC2 would not be as huge an issue. I would love to see some MvC2 hd remix. Also just to torture the people either time release characters or make it like the DC versions marathon of play to unlock everything (or sell an everything unlocked key.). I am in the minority that enjoys unlocking things in fighters tho.

I remember MvC2's "store" system.... man, I really hope that isn't in there if they do a HD remix :P

There's still a whole lot of fixing required in MvC2. If you're trying to make the game competitive with (most) characters, you're going to need to buff or nerf a serious # of guys.

aBlank on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    After hearing so much about MvsC2 a few years ago i went out and bought it. I was so dissapointed.

Did not click with me at all but all my button mashing friends loved it.

I understand it can be played on a high level but for me it just was too flashy.

Yeah I never really liked MvC, it just seemed too crazy. I really hate the whole jump so high you can't see the other character thing too.

That kokaku article doesn't really say they're doing anything, it just says and hdr would be more likely then 3. Personally I wish they would just stop with the IP licensing and make Capcom Vs Capcom.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love this game. Since Akuma wasn't unlocked in the original roster, I started playing my secondary from SF Alpha 3. Which happened to be the insanely buffed Sagat. I've been doing ok online (1,500 - 1,600 BP) but I have a few questions:

1.) How/when do I get to stop playing all these 500bp and lower players? I HATE winning 4-5 matches in a row only to be barely beaten by a flowchart Ken and lose 100bp.

2.) Any of you Sagats out there have a way to deal with those pesky Kens? I feel like a retard, but that Flame SRK Ken throws hits me more often than I'd like to admit, and people who win by spamming it piss me off a lot. Block low and throw? Hit em during the jump with forward + FK?

For that matter, I'd love to play some really good Sagat players. I will be taking a break from video games this next month, but I'll be playing this game pretty much all summer. I'd love to learn some good combos and other tricks.

EDIT: Just read my messages today. This one guy bitched at me for spamming tiger shot: "lern another move you faggot". There's something very satisfying about tiger spamming someone to death.

Blowflu on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Welp. I'm gonna be on again for a bit, throw me an invite if anyone wants to play.

Gamertag is Tanky the Tank.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think a true HD Remix of MvC2 would be impossibly expensive and time-consuming to redraw all those sprites. SFII HD Remix was delayed several times because of redrawing the sprites, and that had 17 characters vs. MvC2 which has what, 65+?

Besides, I think it has aged much better than SFII Turbo, I would be ecstatic just to have the original game w/ character balancing. I wouldn't mind the character store if you could get monies from fighting online.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think a true HD Remix of MvC2 would be impossibly expensive and time-consuming to redraw all those sprites. SFII HD Remix was delayed several times because of redrawing the sprites, and that had 17 characters vs. MvC2 which has what, 65+?

Besides, I think it has aged much better than SFII Turbo, I would be ecstatic just to have the original game w/ character balancing. I wouldn't mind the character store if you could get monies from fighting online.

There are HD Remix games in the works from Capcom, they mentioned they had 1 or 2 projects in an interview I'm sure is linked here somewhere.

I pray to god one of them is a MvC2 HD Remix.

Pray.
    I WANNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIIIDDEEE

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

There are HD Remix games in the works from Capcom, they mentioned they had 1 or 2 projects in an interview I'm sure is linked here somewhere.

I pray to god one of them is a MvC2 HD Remix.

Pray.
    I WANNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIIIDDEEE

If they could somehow combine the MvC2 theme song and the SF4 theme song... I think the world would explode from pure AWESOME.

aBlank on
  • Options
    LapineLapine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm actually a fan of those cheesy capcom songs, although the SFIV title theme isn't quite the style that I like. I like the stage select songs mentioned and Roll's theme (with vocals) from MvC2, Sakura's theme (with vocals) from Puzzle Fighter. I can understand why not everyone would like them, though. I knew this one guy who writhed in pain every time Roll's theme played, as if it was some type of musical kryptonite for him.

Lapine on
    PSN: Lapine
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, after beating a 17000 boxer (somehow i've also faced a 17000 ken which I beat easily) I got perfected and almost double perfected by a 600 ryu :/

Tommatt on
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am sure that someone here will be willing to take the item off your hands. Or you can just learn to press the buttons really gently. Or wrap a sock around the stick buttons. :P
    So if anyone's interested in a Hori PS3 FS3 (FightStick3) for $40 I'd sell mine. Regular Retail price is $50, I paid $60. It's been used for a grand total of about 20 minutes and I've had it in my possession for less than 24 hours. The only packaging I don't still have is the plastic bag that wrapped around it inside the box. Other than that I've still got it all. Pm me if interested.

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    SkullOmaniaSkullOmania Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Woo I received my first abuse! Apparently I'm a 'fucking spammy cunt'. This was Ken (him) vs Bison (me). He just barely beat me in the first round (had no life left in his bar). Second round I perfected him and the third I just jumped on his head over and over again, which I think is what pissed him off :P

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, after beating a 17000 boxer (somehow i've also faced a 17000 ken which I beat easily) I got perfected and almost double perfected by a 600 ryu :/

You might have a few extra zeros in there. If not then o_0

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »

That's not an infinite, that's just a combo.

It's both. As long as you don't screw things up you can keep the combo going forever. It's just that the damage scaling makes further hits less and less useful after the first 3 or 4. The timing is pretty tough, though. The most I've seen anyone pull off in a video is 9 hits.

wonderpug on