Options

Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection coming to 360/PS3 for $30 -has Shining & St of Rage

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Then will the game into your hands using sheer psychic ability.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok. I'm sure it's been said, but to anyone else late to the party, the game is actually called Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I was having trouble finding a review based on the title in the OP.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just got this in the mail today finally (Girlfriend ordered it for me since we figured I wouldn't see any copies at any place I could get to, and of course, every place had at least one) and yay. Just yay.

I played Comix Zone first, since I was convinced that I just sucked at it when I played it as a kid, and that it had to be a good game.

...Eh. It's good for nostalgia and the "Pfaaha, was that even topical back then" things, but I also really suck at it. Still.

So, I delved a little into masochism and went for the Mean Bean Machine trophy. Made it past Coconuts and saved and quit. Small doses. Because I also suck at it. I'm thinking it's pretty amazing that I'm even into games, seeing as I wasn't very good at them growing up (Not the best examples, but still). But I can't wait to play more. There's just so much to enjoy.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I didn't play Comix Zone until this collection but I absolutely love it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    Ok. I'm sure it's been said, but to anyone else late to the party, the game is actually called Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I was having trouble finding a review based on the title in the OP.

I'd be happy if my review gets linked to the OP, once it's up. I'm reviewing the PAL version, which is called Mega Drive Ultimate Collection, but it's the same thing either way.

I thought Golden Axe Warrior would have more than enough resemblance for Nintendo to take action, since I recall a similar issue with Capcom's Street Fighter II and this other crap fighting game that I can't recall the name of.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    So, I delved a little into masochism and went for the Mean Bean Machine trophy. Made it past Coconuts and saved and quit. Small doses. Because I also suck at it. I'm thinking it's pretty amazing that I'm even into games, seeing as I wasn't very good at them growing up (Not the best examples, but still). But I can't wait to play more. There's just so much to enjoy.

I kind of suck at it, in so far as the Story mode goes; Exercise mode is a different matter entirely - I once played for nearly 2 hours, most of which was at level 99, and ended up quitting once I reached 10 million points. It's the same for similar games - I kick ass at the score attack stuff, but the minute I have to fling blocks onto someone else's screen it goes downhill.

Still got through it though... but fuck Sir Ffuzzy-Logic, and fuck Scratch. Grounder gets a stay of execution.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'd like it more if I knew how the hell to block.

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'd like it more if I knew how the hell to block.

You can go into the options and turn on Auto Block.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I kind of suck at it, in so far as the Story mode goes; Exercise mode is a different matter entirely - I once played for nearly 2 hours, most of which was at level 99, and ended up quitting once I reached 10 million points. It's the same for similar games - I kick ass at the score attack stuff, but the minute I have to fling blocks onto someone else's screen it goes downhill.

Still got through it though... but fuck Sir Ffuzzy-Logic, and fuck Scratch. Grounder gets a stay of execution.

I'm currently working on the MBM achievement and right now I'm stuck on the drill bit guy. I absolutely hate this game and am only forcing myself through it for the achievement. I suck royally at it. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah grounder kicked my ass for a while. Then I remembered that this game takes codes. So I looked up the code and warped straight to Robotnik and kicked his ass within a minute. (Turns out this game has an easy mode and I had been playing on normal)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Maybe I'll do that, because I seriously hate this game. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Yeah grounder kicked my ass for a while. Then I remembered that this game takes codes. So I looked up the code and warped straight to Robotnik and kicked his ass within a minute. (Turns out this game has an easy mode and I had been playing on normal)

Heh.

Y'know, I seriously considered asking if anybody had gone into the games, trying to see if the cheat codes/old passwords still worked.

I guess I can still ask it.

But I am definitely doing that. Because I'm sure I'm on Normal too and I'm on....I don't even fucking know. The thing after the rolling Ham I think? (Also, fuck that dude so hard.) I got so frustrated playing it that I just went on to get the Beyond Oasis trophy and then started playing Dynamite Headdy just because.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My little sister beat MBM on normal. Even though I never could.

She was about twelve years old at the time. Seriously, a MBM prodigy.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I tried using the code to get straight to Robotnik.

It's still way too fast. I don't even see how human eyes can comprehend what's going on.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009

It's still way too fast. I don't even see how human eyes can comprehend what's going on.

It's like how I wonder how people could beat Pokemon Puzzle League on the highest difficulty - the CPU would combo you into oblivion in the first 10 seconds.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I should have the review ready by tonight. I'll post it here when I'm done.

I also wanted to let you know that my next review copy is going to be Sonic and the Black Knight. Oh man, I'm so stocked for this. I wanted the chance to pick apart Sonic's latest embarrassment. I can't wait.
    And if it's actually good...well I'll be surprised.

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I picked this thing up the other day, and it is fucking outstanding. The Sonic series and Streets of Rage alone were worth the price. I'd completely forgotten how much I love Sonic. The recent efforts of Sega with the Sonic franchise gave me a case of Sonic amnesia, as it were. This collection brings back so many fond memories of childhood...one thing though, is that Spinball seems a lot more difficult than I remember. o_O

Also, I am still god-awful at getting chaos emeralds. In any of the Sonic games.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Make sure you used an "easy" code. The code gives both the level and the difficulty setting.
    At least on easy it wasn't all that fast. Though perhaps its just that I've played a lot of puzzle fighter and sword fighting in puzzle pirates back in the day. (I basically killed him with my first 5 chain combo)

Edit: I wonder if I could save a state where robotnic is on the ropes then give it to people so they can finish him off.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you play on the hardest setting, Robotnik will eventually just fuck himself over somehow anyway.

I recall beating the game this way many years ago.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    So I picked this thing up the other day, and it is fucking outstanding. The Sonic series and Streets of Rage alone were worth the price. I'd completely forgotten how much I love Sonic. The recent efforts of Sega with the Sonic franchise gave me a case of Sonic amnesia, as it were. This collection brings back so many fond memories of childhood...one thing though, is that Spinball seems a lot more difficult than I remember. o_O

Also, I am still god-awful at getting chaos emeralds. In any of the Sonic games.

...Even Sonic 3D? If so, that's a remarkable feat...

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'm not sure which part of my post you're referring to. Either way, Sonic 3D kinda....well...kinda sucks. If you're asking about the chaos emeralds, I will say only this: I don't entirely consider Sonic 3D Blast to be a..."Sonic game", per se.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I used the Easy code to get straight to Robotnik, and it took me three times. The first two, he whooped on me. The last time, he set up a pillar in the center and I accidentally got a nice combo on him that dropped about three layers worth of rocks or so and bam. It was a lucky win, but a Win nonetheless!

And, man, I don't know about 3D Blast. I used to like it as a kid, but I'm pretty sure the controls have been wonked since then.

I did get a nice trophy sweep today. Can't wait to get some more.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'm not sure which part of my post you're referring to. Either way, Sonic 3D kinda....well...kinda sucks. If you're asking about the chaos emeralds, I will say only this: I don't entirely consider Sonic 3D Blast to be a..."Sonic game", per se.

I was asking about the chaos emeralds, because the Mega Drive/Genesis version has probably the easiest ones ever. The Saturn version, however, is more like the ones in Sonic 2, except with the dial turned to 11.

One other thing of note - Sonic 3D was the first Sonic game to have the homing attack.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Good review, and I agree pretty much with everything you put in there.

On another note, I finally beat MBM last night. It was awesome and I never have to play that horrible excuse for a game again. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

On another note, I finally beat MBM last night. It was awesome and I never have to play that horrible excuse for a game again. :D
    Okay, I know MBM is a hard game. I also know that the single-player mode features an over abundance of puns. I can also understand if you don't like puzzle games.

But seriously, MBM is just a re-skinned Puyo Puyo. And Puyo Puyo is (I think) the best "things falling from the sky" puzzle game of all time. That's a controversial statement, I know, but I can't imagine how anyone could justify calling MBM a "horrible excuse for a game." My friends and I would fight each others for hours in that game, and it was awesome every time.

But maybe you just don't like puzzle games? In that case, never mind.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The atitude people can have to achievements is mind boggling to me sometimes.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Rex Dart wrote: »

Okay, I know MBM is a hard game. I also know that the single-player mode features an over abundance of puns. I can also understand if you don't like puzzle games.

But seriously, MBM is just a re-skinned Puyo Puyo. And Puyo Puyo is (I think) the best "things falling from the sky" puzzle game of all time. That's a controversial statement, I know, but I can't imagine how anyone could justify calling MBM a "horrible excuse for a game." My friends and I would fight each others for hours in that game, and it was awesome every time.

I love puzzle games, and I like Puyo Puyo...but for some reason I have always hated MBM. It sounds strange and there is no way I can ever explain it in a way it'll make sense, but it's just the way it is. :P

Maybe it has something to do with my hate of that particular Sonic cartoon. Hmmm....

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Please lord someone, somehwere put Flashback on one of these, or just pop it on live arcade

SOMEONE!

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I love puzzle games, and I like Puyo Puyo...but for some reason I have always hated MBM. It sounds strange and there is no way I can ever explain it in a way it'll make sense, but it's just the way it is. :P

Maybe it has something to do with my hate of that particular Sonic cartoon. Hmmm....

Fortunately, that's the only game that ever featured characters from that cartoon... although, strangely, the characters from SatAM show up in the bonus stage of Spinball...

Thinking about it, Sonic Underground is the only one that hasn't been used for a game... unless you count romhacks.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The main problem with MBM is that it's an older version of Puyo Puyo ... as in a version that doesn't let you cancle out enemy combo's when you release your own. This takes alot of the strategic depth out of the game turning it into "whoever releases the most devestating combo first wins".

With that said it's still alot of fun just not as good as later Puyo releases.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Please lord someone, somehwere put Flashback on one of these, or just pop it on live arcade

SOMEONE!

You hear that, Sega? This fucking guy right here. Right here! Listen to this man. If you don't, your lives are forfeit.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Did Sega lose/sell the rights to the Toejam and Earl series?

Because at least the first one would've been a good addition. I think.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    One other thing of note - Sonic 3D was the first Sonic game to have the homing attack.

I'm guessing you never got all the Chaos and Hyper Emeralds as Sonic in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Frem wrote: »

I'm guessing you never got all the Chaos and Hyper Emeralds as Sonic in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

That wasn't so much a homing attack as it was a 'nuke everything on the entire screen' attack; it killed everything irrespective of whether you hit it or not, and had more in common with the fire shield attack.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was debating whether the lack of online multiplayer was a valid complaint or not. Would that be too hard to do with all these games? I mean, Blackbone mostly dabbles in online multiplayer, so....I dunno.

I would totally enjoy a Streets of Rage multiplayer mode, but I hear the XBLA version sucks.

• Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did Sega lose/sell the rights to the Toejam and Earl series?

Because at least the first one would've been a good addition. I think.

I was about to post the same thing. As soon as someone says Sega Genesis, I think of Toe Jam and Earl. So many hours of my childhood were lost on that game.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was debating whether the lack of online multiplayer was a valid complaint or not. Would that be too hard to do with all these games? I mean, Blackbone mostly dabbles in online multiplayer, so....I dunno.

I would totally enjoy a Streets of Rage multiplayer mode, but I hear the XBLA version sucks.

The only trouble with Streets of Rage multiplayer would be the need to have a fight beforehand to decide who gets Axel and his GRAND UPPAH.

...Unless, of course, the "choose same character" cheats still work.

...There really needs to be a next-gen Streets of Rage.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

The only trouble with Streets of Rage multiplayer would be the need to have a fight beforehand to decide who gets Axel and his GRAND UPPAH.

...Unless, of course, the "choose same character" cheats still work.

...There really needs to be a next-gen Streets of Rage.

I was thinking this yesterday. In the same vein, I would also sell body parts for a next-gen Maximum Carnage.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Woooo. I'm up to all the trophies except the one for unlocking Phantasy Star. And..as a consequence, the Unlock Everything and the Play All Games trophies.

Boo totp.

Darth_Mogs on