As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Parking?

jennygjennyg Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in PAX Archive
I live within easy driving distance of the venue for PAX this year, but I'm waffling over whether or not to get a hotel room, mostly over the issue of Where To Put the Car. Parking downtown is a bit of a challenge if you intend to stay all day and get out late.

Aside from parking at Pacific Place all weekend long, since as far as I know it's still open 24 hours, does anyone have recommendations / know of arrangements for this? Or would I be better off just getting a hotel room, walking over and not worrying about it?

(There are other reasons I can think of for staying downtown during the weekend, and I might have friends coming who are planning to do so as well, but I might as well get all bases covered....)

jennyg on

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited February 2007
    There are a few options for the issue, one being parking near the Seattle Center (where parking is much much cheaper) and then monorailing or busing to PAX. (the bus system in the downtown core is free)

Also, street parking is free on Sunday downtown, so after 6 PM on Saturday it's free game.

Another option is to use the park and ride lots, where you can park your car and bus downtown.

If you live in Seattle and are still considering staying at one of the convention hotels, I would seriously recommend just cabbing it downtown. (or cabpool it!)

Hope this helps!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited February 2007
    Oh! And I forgot to mention, by PAX 2009, our lovely Light Rail system will be in place, alleviating much of the parking issues. (yes, i know. only three more years) :/

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yeah, whatever you do try and avoid parking at the hotels or the WSCTC. Will cost you $24-28 a day for parking.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What is this Seattle Center that you speak of?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    Are there any nearby daily, or maybe weekend parking structures that we could take advantage of? We've got a considerable number of cars to figure out parking for...

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Are there any nearby daily, or maybe weekend parking structures that we could take advantage of? We've got a considerable number of cars to figure out parking for...

There are a few within a couple blocks or so. Not sure on the costs of them though.

I know its cheaper than the convention center/hotels

BigRed on
    edited February 2007
    The Seattle Center is where the EMP and the Space Needle are located. It's also the starting point for silly 20 block monorail.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited February 2007
    9f10.gif

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    And the monorail has crashed and caught on fire before, so you aren't too far off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_monorail#Accidents

Doc on
    edited February 2007
    ogdenville.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    Hmm... maybe one weekend ill start walking around downtown near the convention center and take notes about parking structures within a decent radius around the wsctc

BigRed on
    edited February 2007
    It might even be a good idea to park out of downtown and bus it in. Even if you have a bunch of people, you could drop them off first. I live in Seattle and I'm planning on taking the bus. There is a lot of stuff within walking distance.

Security could be a problem, though.

Doc on
    edited February 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    Hmm... maybe one weekend ill start walking around downtown near the convention center and take notes about parking structures within a decent radius around the wsctc

Hey any help ya locals can do for the guys who are driving cross country would be greatly appreciated.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • djdoomikedjdoomike Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Though the bus system is wonky after midnight (it's a bit wonky in general). So you can't really see the last bit of the concerts (Jonathan Coulton better play early Khoo).

djdoomike on
    edited February 2007
    Except you really wouldn't have to drive anywhere after the concerts, assuming your hotel is nearby.

Doc on
  • jennygjennyg Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think I found another reason to get a hotel room and not worry about transportation throughout the weekend: I-5.

From the Seattle P-I:

Transportation officials have a vacation tip for harried Interstate 5 commuters: August would be a really good month to get out of town.

That's because a major highway renovation is planned between Aug. 10 and 29. State Transportation Department officials announced the renovation Wednesday -- giving drivers almost six months to make alternate plans.

The department plans to pave more than one mile of northbound I-5 and replace 33 failing bridge expansion joints between South Spokane Street and Interstate 90. The repairs should significantly affect traffic when crews close several of the five northbound lanes at all times, leaving only two or three lanes open to workday traffic.

"If we don't get at least 50 percent of the traffic diverted, you'll be driving in a parking lot," Martin Dedinsky, manager of the department's traffic management center said. "You can easily expect backups to be to Southcenter. The morning commute will be the worst."

eta: a few more details:

AUGUST 1-5 RENOVATIONS

Number of lanes on northbound Interstate 5: 5
    Lanes closed during the first half of 19-day closure: 2 of 5
    Lanes closed during the second half of 19-day closure: 3 of 5 (4 of 5 between midnight and 5 a.m.)
    Number of on- and off-ramps closed periodically during construction: 5 (Spokane Street, Columbian Way, Fourth Avenue South, Interstate 90, I-5 CD, including exits to Dearborn, James and Madison Streets)

jennyg on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »

Hey any help ya locals can do for the guys who are driving cross country would be greatly appreciated.

just park it at your hotel, you'll get free parking with your stay. assuming you don't mind walking a few blocks, but don't forget about the pax shuttle buses that go to the hotels and the show, i assume those will be in service again this year? (r.i.p. gamer transit authority (gta))

i've got 3 options some might consider, 1, i'll take my motorcycle (free parking everywhere for bikes, but can't carry much stuff), 2, i live in issaquah, so i'll park at the p&r and bus it down (but i hate travelling by their schedules, i like to go when i want to go, plus buses stink!), or 3, i might just carpool with a few friends. 5 people in one car going in on $30 of parking, only $6 a piece, not a bad deal.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    jennyg wrote: »
    Number of lanes on northbound Interstate 5: 5
    Lanes closed during the first half of 19-day closure: 2 of 5
    Lanes closed during the second half of 19-day closure: 3 of 5 (4 of 5 between midnight and 5 a.m.)
    Number of on- and off-ramps closed periodically during construction: 5 (Spokane Street, Columbian Way, Fourth Avenue South, Interstate 90, I-5 CD, including exits to Dearborn, James and Madison Streets)

Goddamnit.
    Hotels are so expensive though, and I live on the Eastside.

Can I sleep on your doorstep, Doc?
    You know me, I'm the guy who said, "Hi Doc" at the exhibition room last year. :lol:

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Keep in mind a lot of hotels offer parking for an extra $5 a night or so.

Chizzer on
    edited February 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »

just park it at your hotel, you'll get free parking with your stay. assuming you don't mind walking a few blocks, but don't forget about the pax shuttle buses that go to the hotels and the show, i assume those will be in service again this year? (r.i.p. gamer transit authority (gta))

i've got 3 options some might consider, 1, i'll take my motorcycle (free parking everywhere for bikes, but can't carry much stuff), 2, i live in issaquah, so i'll park at the p&r and bus it down (but i hate travelling by their schedules, i like to go when i want to go, plus buses stink!), or 3, i might just carpool with a few friends. 5 people in one car going in on $30 of parking, only $6 a piece, not a bad deal.

Actually if you guys would have noticed... the hotels that we are staying at (the ones with the PAX rates) are going to be charge $26 a night to park at the hotels. And the expo center is going to charge $24. Which is why we're looking for someplace cheaper.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • AnexkahnAnexkahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If someone knows the area or is scoping out the parking arrangements, could you please also keep in mind height requirements and keep an eye out for something that could accomodate taller vehicles... I'll be comming in a vehicle requiring 7'6" clearance, and probably a few others may need something a bit taller than the usual parking garage.

Anexkahn on
    edited February 2007
    This much is true, the CCST is likely to have at least one minivan and a 12-passenger van (think Ford E-350 sized). So we will also need decent clearance, although I'm not sure exactly how much.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• AnexkahnAnexkahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i drove E350 15 passenger vans in the fire service and they require 8' clearance without a roof rack.

Anexkahn on
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anexkahn wrote: »
    i drove E350 15 passenger vans in the fire service and they require 8' clearance without a roof rack.

I would be very surprised if you made the clearance for Seattle underground parking.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
    edited February 2007
    Looks like we're gonna need surface parking then, or at least underground parking with at least an 8' clearance.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »

Last time I checked the hotel parking is extra. The lady even quoted it to me on the phone.

No shuttles. The hotels are MUCH closer. The size of 1 bellevue city block is about 2 seattle ones :P

BigRed on
    edited February 2007
    Anexkahn wrote: »
    If someone knows the area or is scoping out the parking arrangements, could you please also keep in mind height requirements and keep an eye out for something that could accomodate taller vehicles... I'll be comming in a vehicle requiring 7'6" clearance, and probably a few others may need something a bit taller than the usual parking garage.

Next week ill go park downtown for a few hours and do a walkaround within like a 10 block radius of the wsctc and start taking notes about parking.

BigRed on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    According to Google, there's a Subway in the WSCTC, up on the fourth floor. Given now that we have a reputation for savaging this particular chain of restaurants with the fury of a thousand rampaging orcs, why don't you keep an eye out for other 'gamer-friendly' restaurants in the area. I'll call em up two weeks before PAX and warn them to bump up supplies.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited February 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    According to Google, there's a Subway in the WSCTC, up on the fourth floor. Given now that we have a reputation for savaging this particular chain of restaurants with the fury of a thousand rampaging orcs, why don't you keep an eye out for other 'gamer-friendly' restaurants in the area. I'll call em up two weeks before PAX and warn them to bump up supplies.

Yes.

WSCTC 4th floor:

Starbucks
    Subway

WSCTC 1st floor:

Taco Del Mar (GIANT yummeh burritos if you are unfamlair with them)
    Some pizza place that i cant think of the name of

Just outside of the WSCTC entrance:
    Another subway (AFAIK that one and the one inside the wsctc share the same stockroom).

There will be a map showing whats nearby eventually, and there is an enforcer task force being organized to go around to all the restaurants within a decent walking distance of the WSCTC to make them aware of PAX and that they should stock accordingly.

Unfortunally there isnt much fast food close to the WSCTC except for Taco del mar and the subways :( Although I know that is all that I need to survive pax, the lines will be horrible though.

BigRed on
    edited February 2007
    You guys should also scope out a nearby grocery store. We've made a habit of stocking up on snackables and other non-perishables when we arrive in Seattle to avoid the long lines and potential lack of food that comes with eating at the local fast food establishments.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You guys should also scope out a nearby grocery store. We've made a habit of stocking up on snackables and other non-perishables when we arrive in Seattle to avoid the long lines and potential lack of food that comes with eating at the local fast food establishments.

Don't forget the bath-tub full of beer you had.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2007
    There are a variety of mini-mart/small grocery stores right up the street on capitol hill.

Doc on
    edited February 2007
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Don't forget the bath-tub full of beer you had.

Also this luggage case the Neskimos brought with them.
    228428283_b9f44dd494.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    mil best? wtf?

BigRed on
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, well you're ignoring the 5 bottles of liquor in those paper bags right there.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    Yeah, well you're ignoring the 5 bottles of liquor in those paper bags right there.

Typically ones focus is on the trainwreck :-p

BigRed on
    edited February 2007

Typically ones focus is on the trainwreck :-p

I think that was that stripper who drank half a bottle of Patron...

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I will be 21 the week after PAX and you guys had better have something other than crappy American or Mexican beer there.

Seriously.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited February 2007
    We were actually thinking of getting some canadians to bring down some beer that we would pay them for when we got to PAX. Any takers?

(should we start a Beer Exchange thread for this one)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Trillian wrote: »
    I will be 21 the week after PAX and you guys had better have something other than crappy American or Mexican beer there.

Seriously.

Don't worry I didn't like Buds much last year but Sparks are fucking awesome and if I go to Mexico this summer I am bring back some bottles that aren't going to be anywhere in the states except in an immigrant's garage in a diry old case. So I need to think up some recipes that are pretty much Bawls + Tequila + Sparks.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.