Options

[Phalla] Episode 3.5: The Emperor's Gambit -- Ron Paulpatine Victory :P

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, curiosity for the Emperor:

Did the imperial kill always break guards? Had we targeted Toxic last night would we have won?

guards had a random chance element I'm pretty sure

Medopine on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Uhm....de-fault, de-fault! I guess.

Also, Savant you are a scary mother-fucker.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    warban wrote: »
    Also trading with the Auth for our whole group list was the greatest thing ever.

That's how I roll.

All wheelin' and a dealin'

This was a fucking blast. Even after death I followed it to the end.

Good job Toxic. And I still think the story with you and Rent is hilarious, can't wait to read what happened on the proboard.

Went I found out I mad the NOOOOO! face.

I'm just mad at myself that I lost the game for the rebels.

If I hadn't made my massive crazy public condemnation of JK, we would of won. I should of just tried killing him with a jedi.

Cinders on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Did the imperial kill always break guards? Had we targeted Toxic last night would we have won?

I don't think so. I mean we had a chance to stop even Vader.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I am not very good at this game

but it was fun!

Medopine on
  • Options
    narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Outcome: Historical

The Emperor’s plan to critically weaken or dominate the Galactic Senate failed, but only partially so. His primary effort, to deny the Jedi a political base, succeeded, as he had foreseen. Other plans were already in motion. The Senate’s handling of the crisis, manipulated correctly, would shine a light for all to see on their pettiness and self serving short sightedness. Already, the public was losing faith in their democratic leaders. They were looking for assurance, safety, and strength. Though the Free Trade – Libertarian Alliance would dominate the Senate, and come to oppose the Emperor more and more, their political power was already waning. Indeed, within a few short years, the Emperor disbanded the last political institution of the Old Republic, which had stood for hundreds of years.

narvinye on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Um. Looking at these numbers.

15.Savant Liberil
    35.Jason Todd Liberil
    5.Obbi Liberil

30.Mike Danger Auth
    22.Toxic Toys Auth

32.ShadowThomas Prot
    11.Medopine Prot

24.Ride The Bomb Free Trade
    28.Delmain Free Trade

Is what i Come up with for final players. If these numbers are right and you don't count toxic wouldn't Liberil win?

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Background:

Emperor Palpatine learned that Jedi had come to Coruscant, and made contact with a cabal of Senators wishing to return to the Old Republic. The Senate was his last obstacle to total domination, and he could not afford the Jedi gaining political support. He saw an opportunity to kill two bird with one stone. He had the Senate bombed, killing all but a few Senators, and blamed the Jedi. He thought with that, he could simply move on with no Senate, given the dangers presented by the Rebels.

He had not counted on the strong reaction of the Empire’s Planetary governments. So used to Democratic government and representation, they were not willing to give it up. They demanded it be reconstituted. They still had faith in their democracy.

The Emperor perceived a setback, but an opportunity; to teach. To teach the Empire’s peoples the true pettiness of those in power, and to teach young Skywalker the art of the indirect. To teach the new Sith that, often, the most efficient way to destroy an enemy is to allow him to destroy himself.

Lord Vader, as expected, forcefully did not agree, and the Master had to remind the pupil who knew best. For all of Vader’s direct power, he could not match the destructiveness of the entire Senate let loose upon itself. So Vader became the instrument of the Senate’s will. Completely.

Palpatine had his eyes on a few Senators as possible future Governor candidates. It remained to be seen how competent they were. If they succeeded, it would be a boon to the future Sith domination. If they failed, no great loss, the Senate was doomed. Only if the Rebels had gained a foothold in the Senate would there have been a problem, but the Emperor was not worried about this, as he knew the true nature of…power. The Jedi were naïve children playing in the world of adults. They would learn.

…Of course, in the end, Palpatine would be hoisted on his own petard as he tried to get too cute and replace one Skywalker with another.

narvinye on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    qorzm died

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I count. :(

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    qorzm died

So yep. Its an Liberal win. Not a free trade.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    thanks for losing it for the auths too toxic toys!

worst jedi ever.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Cinders wrote: »
    Also, HA! I killed warban.

Took long enough. :P

Sure did :P.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I concur.

Also, I retire my obnoxious Klackon character. It finished 1-2, but two of the three games were awesome.

Goodbye, first person plural pronoun!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ok im gonna have to go to bed, tomorrow i shall search for who killed me.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    However, the Avatar stays, because I like it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ok, I suck at proboard admin... I'll get them unlocked, I promise.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Notes on game design:

Spoiler'd because of WALL TEXT!!

Goals:
    I am at heart, a simulation fiend, and no mechanic was added that we could not come up with a valid way it could happen in the framework of the story.

Our main goal, with this design, was to address the problem of the vanilla villager. Someone signs up for a phalla, and gets no special, and are not part of the mafia/bad guys/mason/blowjob union. For many, this is not nearly as fun game of phalla. And to add insult to injury, there are those who never even get into the “network”. Generally, only you’re exceptional players do well with this role, and often, the exceptionals will get into the network.

Mechanics
    The only thing we could see would be to make the “specials” group based, rather than individual based. So now we have a group, or groups, voting to use the powers, the whole voting, and the mafia trying to kill the whole. So what motivation is there for the groups to work together? So was born the multiple factions. Started with two, then realized it had to be four (if you’re not with us, then you’re the other faction).

So now we have four internal factions, and the mafia trying to kill off the village. Our first idea was a Roman Senate game based on these principles. Then, I dunno, the Galactic Senate hit us, and was too good to pass up. The Rebel group came from the idea that the village needed someone pushing in the opposite direction of the Imperials…i.e. saving the Senate.

We were forced to come up with separate win conditions to keep factions from ignoring the story goals, and simply opting for a Rebel or Imperial win.

Nerissa and I game played out the game about 6 times, which is where the magic number of 15 =) came from. In our simulations, it seemed right about there the game came out even…all sides had equal chance of winning.

Of course, we UNDERESTIMATED the bloodthirstiness and sheer balls of everyone involved. We counted on factions trading information, but it never really occurred to us whole faction lists would get traded, and in EVERY SINGLE faction the story was the same…ooohhh, and after we get their list, we can BACKSTAB THEM because NO ONE BUT US WOULD THINK OF THAT!!! Barbarians…
    The game was still anyone’s right down to the wire…almost.

Balancing
    The sheer power of the Jedi was offset by the fact they were working against the very nature of the entire Senate, and the meddling of the Imperials (not to mention the initial reaction of Phalla players to kill on first sight – its more efficient).

Originally, the Emperor was to be a PC, and was to “run” the Imperials…which is where the mechanic of the Imperials not knowing each other came from. At the last minute (day) we decided it would be no fun to be an imperial then, so we nixed the PC Emperor. In hindsight, I think the not knowing each other would have worked, but would’ve needed some balance tweaking, and a mechanic to ensure the players had game reasons to protect their identity..i.e….an Imperial could win the game by himself only, and had a personal kill he could use on his brethren only (just an idea)

As to why, it gets back to simulation: Palpatine, at heart, was a coward, and he trusted no one. He simply would have enjoyed the game of the Senate, but would not have trusted a cabal of Imperial Senators, if he could get away with it. It would require a different method of thinking and acting on the part of the Imperial players…again, better balancing, with perhaps more manipulative tools at their disposal. Since we weren’t completely clear on the rules/reasons, nor did we add any structural support (i.e. rules/methods/reasons to fear your Imperial brethren) we glossed over the fact that by day 3 almost all the imperials knew all the others. EnlightenedBum in particular had difficulty with this mechanic, which we understand completely, and we apologize.

narvinye on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seriously though I have never been so enthralled in a Phalla.

If I ever run one I'm stealing some of the mechanics of this one. 4-6 factions is the best thing ever.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    thanks for losing it for the auths too toxic toys!

worst jedi ever.

I didn't care about the Auth win. I did try to keep one of you alive after I knew who Vader was going after. So blame chance on that one.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ok, rebels & imps should be open now, will get the factions in a bit

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also. James if I end up playing in a game with you your my first target for death.

Traitorous gerbil indeed.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited April 2009

No. Only ones who could guard were Jedi (Vader) and only ones who could break a guard were Jedi (Vader) Oh, and the Senate vote

narvinye on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, the four of us metagamed pretty hard on day one. We got 3 of 4 and only coincidence stopped the fourth.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey I survived towards the end, the free traders didn't win and I tripled my post count.

Not bad for my first game here.

ShadowThomas on
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Having followed this until the end, I have one thing to say:
    Savant, you are a devious, coniving, scary bastard. And I wish I could think like you. Well played, sir, well played.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nerissa wrote: »

Still not working here.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rebels still locked. :(

And yeah, Savant was the Senate MVP, easily. I respected the hell out of the way you were playing, which is why we settled on you for blackmail. Was hoping that respect would carry over to the "seered as clean" myself.

Would have helped if I had been here to argue my case, but I think Toxic still carries it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Crush you like a Bug.

Edit: Anyway Enjoyable game. Very close to a imperial victory. I'm happy we at least didn't see that.

I don't mind seeing a Liberal victory ether.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited April 2009

The only chance to break a Jedi guard was Vader.

Also, since Toxic Toys was the incoming High Judge, he would've been safe there too.

Honestly, if the right VERY unlikely set of circumstances had lined up, there was still a chance of a rebel victory today. Basically, though, it would've had to mean that TT talked all of the factions PLUS Savant into not killing anyone, used all 3 jedi for guarding, and one of those would've had to have been warban.

Very close game.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Realistically Toxic crushed me. No offense to the other rebels, but it would have been real nice if he hadn't been the last one alive.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rebels still locked. :(

And yeah, Savant was the Senate MVP, easily. I respected the hell out of the way you were playing, which is why we settled on you for blackmail. Was hoping that respect would carry over to the "seered as clean" myself.

Would have helped if I had been here to argue my case, but I think Toxic still carries it.

can you explain about what savant was doing

I am stupid and would like to learn

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kung Fu was your down fall. Once I knew we got a false seer faction report, I guessed every one that wanted to be seen was imperial.

JK and you would have been off my scope if Kung didn't want to be seen by us after getting called out as being an imperial.

I wasn't going to let that thought go. I knew the seering was wrong and every one seered was bad.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Also, since Toxic Toys was the incoming High Judge, he would've been safe there too.

Honestly, if the right VERY unlikely set of circumstances had lined up, there was still a chance of a rebel victory today. Basically, though, it would've had to mean that TT talked all of the factions PLUS Savant into not killing anyone, used all 3 jedi for guarding, and one of those would've had to have been warban.

Very close game.

I didn't mean last night as in the last night, but the night previous. When we got down to 16 and if Toxic had been killed the game was over. But if he guarded himself no luck there.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah also what was the blackmail/post restriction mechanic. Proboards still aren't working for me.

And it's also awesome that it ended up this close.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Very close game.

I didn't mean last night as in the last night, but the night previous. When we got down to 16 and if Toxic had been killed the game was over. But if he guarded himself no luck there.

Toxic has been guarded for the last 3 nights.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    warban wrote: »

Still not working here.

ok... I'm not going to mess with it...

will change the admin pwd on the other 4 boards now to be the same thing

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kung Fu was your down fall. Once I knew we got a false seer faction report, I guessed every one that wanted to be seen was imperial.

JK and you would have been off my scope if Kung didn't want to be seen by us after getting called out as being an imperial.

I wasn't going to let that thought go. I knew the seering was wrong and every one seered was bad.

Holy shit nice. Yeah the false seering through me off.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yeah, you Jedi seered KungFu that night didn't you? Or was it the night before? I THINK he had previously been planted so we couldn't change that and save myself. Pretty sure I was planted the night of the mass seerings.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Very close game.

I didn't think I could pull that off. I knew Savant wasn't going to agree with me. EB got to him first. From the moment he outed me I was screwed.

Toxic Toys on