Options

Movie Release Awareness for April '09

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Blargh. My girlfriend wants to go to the movies on the 25th, and nothing looks halfway decent.

That review of Observe and Report has me unconvinced, because I thought what they were showing in the trailer was awful.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I actually really like Anna Farris, but every movie she's in is either mediocre or terrible.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wanna see Adventureland and Seth Blart. And also Crank 2 because fuck yeah!

And probably Dragonball, because it's gonna be so bad.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Blargh. My girlfriend wants to go to the movies on the 25th, and nothing looks halfway decent.

That review of Observe and Report has me unconvinced, because I thought what they were showing in the trailer was awful.

The trailers make it look like just another Apatow/Seth Rogen film. It's bad advertising. On the other hand, it's GOOD advertising because "fans of Apatow films" is a pretty good demo to get to see your film.

I'm going to remain optimistic until I am proved otherwise.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh god, I have a lot of movies to see this month.

Adventureland
    - Of course.

F&F - Comeon, it looks fun as hell.

Observe and Report
    - I am a security guard. I must see this movie.

Dragonball
    - Hopefully a "so-bad-it's-good"

Crank 2
    - Greatest action movies ever.

No horror flicks, though. =(

Guess I will have to stick to the After Dark Horrorfest DVDs.

(The Broken, Autopsy, and Perkins 14 look like the decent ones from the year)

http://www.horrorfestonline.com/#/films

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

The trailers make it look like just another Apatow/Seth Rogen film. It's bad advertising. On the other hand, it's GOOD advertising because "fans of Apatow films" is a pretty good demo to get to see your film.

I'm going to remain optimistic until I am proved otherwise.

yeah it was appealing to me and moreso when I didn't hear apatow's name. so the marketing worked on me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i'm gonna see dragonball
    twice

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am kinda disappointed by this month.

I prefer movies that are actually good, so I'm putting my hopes on T4 and wolverine.

I might watch F&F, dragonball or crank2 if I hear one of them is somehow awesome but I have reservations

Dman on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    red band trailer for observe and report:

observe & report (language)

wayyyy better then the other trailer.

geckahn on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Crank 2 will be good. In a bad way. That is good.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw Fast & Furious at a screening last night, and enjoyed it. I finally caught The Fast & the Furious the other night, and admit to having only wiki'd 2 Fast 2 Furious and Tokyo Drift, but I'm told I didn't miss out on a lot by doing so.

Good action and effects, a few witty/funny lines and they make some nods to the older movies (at least the original).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tokyo Drift was enjoyable, I thought. Nothing amazing, but way better than the first two.

Forar, what's the context of that sig, and why wasn't it reported for awesome?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    red band trailer for observe and report:

observe & report (language)

wayyyy better then the other trailer.

okay, yeah.
    now i want to see this movie
    why is it they always seem to give danny mcbride all the best lines? i mean, he doesn't seem like even a large character in this movie, but his one line in the trailer made me laugh the hardest.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright, now that looks considerably better.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    about that 'mutant chronicles' movie, it's available on xbox live marketplace RIGHT NOW for some ridiculous amount of points (800 for SC, 1200 for HD)
    this is both weird and sorta cool.
    then i watched the trailer HOLY SHIT THOMAS JANE AND RON PEARLMAN AND JOHN MALKOVICH
    thats neat, might want to see it now

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Its not worth paying for. Came out here like last year. Fun little romp but nothing mega.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    about that 'mutant chronicles' movie, it's available on xbox live marketplace RIGHT NOW for some ridiculous amount of points (800 for SC, 1200 for HD)
    this is both weird and sorta cool.
    then i watched the trailer HOLY SHIT THOMAS JANE AND RON PEARLMAN AND JOHN MALKOVICH
    thats neat, might want to see it now

Interesting. And Malkovich wasn't listed in the OP. Still, neither Jane nor Perlman imply any level of quality (they've both been in good movies, and I like both of them, but most of their movies....kinda suck) and Malkovich has shown himself willing to do some pretty shit movies as well (though obviously his ratio is much, much better).

Definitely a renter.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, Malkovich gave absolutely no help to Doomsday.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Forar, what's the context of that sig, and why wasn't it reported for awesome?

Mass Effect thread shenanigans.

Forar on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    They advertised Adventureland very...wrong. Good movie, but not what I had anticipated.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    They advertised Adventureland very...wrong. Good movie, but not what I had anticipated.

Yeah, it's not exactly a madcap comedy about wacky times at the amusement park.

How does it end?
    The version I saw when it was being focus grouped had Kristen Stewart's character running off to New York. Afterwards, the lead finally realizes that it was unfair to judge her for hooking up with Ryan Reynolds, shows up at her new apartment soaking wet, and then they hook up.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Pretty much that. They talk a bit in the rain, he goes inside and talks about living at the YMCA until he gets a job or something. Then they start screwing.

I am still baffled by the sleeveless hoodie.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw Mutant Chronicles at ComicCon last year. It was about 90% done. It was a fun flick. Best thing about it as they used almost no CGI, it's all modeling, makeup and paintings.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    LythanLythan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would see Sugar based solely on that quite a bit of it was shot in my city and our minor league ballpark.

Lythan on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Adventureland was great. Not what I expected, but very enjoyable for what it was. I love a comedy that isn't afraid to be more.

Sad that it came in number 6... even sadder that it appear Fast and Furious is like, the holy grail of 2009 movies. Kill me know.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I worked at the amusement park that Adventureland was filmed in for 5 summers. If I wasn't away at school I probably could've been an extra. I know a handful of people who were extra's at the party scenes and running the rides in the backgrounds. Anywho, besides being an excellent movie, on top of that it just really connected with me cause like, that was what my summer was like for so long (albeit in the 00's and not the 80s). Granted we didnt do drugs or drink on the job (to an extent), and the place is run a little stricter than shown, but still, the drama, parties, relationships, people... nailed it pretty damn good. This will be the first summer I'm not working there and this movie already made me feel nostalgic for the fun times I had.

Awesome soundtrack as well

Vesty on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Adventureland was great. Not what I expected, but very enjoyable for what it was. I love a comedy that isn't afraid to be more.

Sad that it came in number 6... even sadder that it appear Fast and Furious is like, the holy grail of 2009 movies. Kill me know.

Seriously, how in god's name did Fast & Furious pull down $72 million? It's almost double the record for an opening in April, and it's the fourth in an relatively old and not especially popular serious.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    gah... I hate when stuff like this happens. Originality gets crushed for Blank Blank 5...

at least there's still (500) Days of Summer to look forward to. But seriously, that opening for Fast and Furious is... well, frankly, it's completely retarded. It's honestly like having Garfield 2 have that big an opening.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw Mutant Chronicles at ComicCon last year. It was about 90% done. It was a fun flick. Best thing about it as they used almost no CGI, it's all modeling, makeup and paintings.

I saw it at SDCC as well, loved it.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Thomas Jane has fallen on hard times, I guess.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    gah... I hate when stuff like this happens. Originality gets crushed for Blank Blank 5...

at least there's still (500) Days of Summer to look forward to. But seriously, that opening for Fast and Furious is... well, frankly, it's completely retarded. It's honestly like having Garfield 2 have that big an opening.

I think people are just so braindead at listening about the economy and politics all day that they want to mong out to a simple movie. They go in knowing exactly what they're going to get.

Ponge on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's been kind of a while since we had a film with a ton of high speed chases as well.

I don't really begrudge the film's success myself. Vin Diesel seems like a cool guy, and he's actually pretty talented.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So yesterday I saw Never Back Down.

It was pure terrible genius. One of the best worst movies ever. so funny.

geckahn on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure what movie you're referring to, but something isn't original just because it isn't a sequel.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Saw Knowing yesterday.

Eh.

A few truly horrifying effects sequences, but it's fairly predictable. The waffles in my head between "Meh" and "cop out".

Forar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    I'm not sure what movie you're referring to, but something isn't original just because it isn't a sequel.

Yes, but something being a sequel automatically makes it unoriginal. Regardless, I'm sorry if you felt like I was speaking in absolutes, I'll be sure to qualify everything I say so you don't get confused.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, but something being a sequel automatically makes it unoriginal.
    So your primary concern is whether or not you already know some of the characters?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    put it this way: the money that went to 'wolverine' could have funded 4 smaller, original films.
    instead, we're getting an abortion of a film from a series that should be dead.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bama wrote: »

Yes, but something being a sequel automatically makes it unoriginal. Regardless, I'm sorry if you felt like I was speaking in absolutes, I'll be sure to qualify everything I say so you don't get confused.

yeah, godfather 2 was fucking terrible

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'd say most sequels are similar to the originals for reasons beyond simply having the same characters. I mean, it's not like there was a real chance of the Fast & the Furious sequel being about something other than racing cars.

Robos A Go Go on