As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Memory of a game (fun concept)

odiugodiug Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Halp! So I have just recently remembered a game I used to play. I think it was for PS1.

You would have a map with specific battle points that you could move to and engage your opponent. The battles however were fought by robots (as many as 3?) that you had built/designed with ingame provided mods.

One of those mods was a CPU. This was important because the larger the CPU the more space you had available to you when you programmed them!!

There was a screen you filled with premade tiles, on those tiles were things like "If enemy in front" with two arrows, one denoting the statement is true, the other false. You would then place additional tiles from those arrows. Such as "Fire Payload" or "Turn around" respectively.

Needless to say, these tilesets/programs could get complicated, but it was fun.

What was this game called?!?

[edit] the fights were in 3D and real-time, although all you controlled was the movement of the camera while the robots just executed the tasks you've given them.[/edit]

odiug on

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's called that game I never heard of and would fucking love to play.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Someone just nailed it on another board Carnage Heart!

This game was amazing for me.

odiug on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    odiug wrote: »
    Someone just nailed it on another board Carnage Heart!

This game was amazing for me.

Aw I just found it too.

Fuck that guy.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Vk7u2Niu0

I have no clue what I am seeing. It's kinda like an acid trip.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Programs (the tile setting you are seeing in the upper left) can get very complicated. Like dodging incoming projectiles to having two different sets of instructions it could run, but which is decided randomly at the start! (since you have 3 mechs, this could allow you to possibly run different scripts for the entirety of the match) Enabling them to try and work together!

I can not thank you enough for helping me. Now I just need to find a copy. I think 4 sequels were made in Japan, but only the initial game came out in the US

odiug on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I loved the concept of this game. I don't think it came across as well as it could have, but it was fresh and mech combat rules when it's not called Virtual On. I never got very far into the game, but it was definitely fun while I played it.

I can't believe it didn't take off here. Now I need to find a copy, too. Ugh.

Fawst on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah that is an awesome concept. Games that let you build robots are all over but having to actually program them is awesome. It's like the gambit system in FFXII only it actually makes sense because they are machines. This would make a kick ass strategy game. Like an RTS where you can't complain about the AI because you designed it.

Smurph on