Options

Valkyria Chronicles - Incoming sequel! Sir, we're being overrun by highschool kids!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Already updated the OP and credited Chrono. :P

Need a new title too. Unless this one works. But seriously people should be getting this game if they want to make their PS3 experience feel worth it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Something about $30 at GameStop. Then call them dicks.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Something about $30 at GameStop. Then call them dicks.

"Valkyria Chronicles: It's 30 bucks at GameStop, dick"

Rent on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    God I wish we could use italics in titles.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Grayjack72 wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    You're doing God's work, Chrono

Not really an OP though.

What improvements does it need?

Woah, woah, lord and master? All I did was realise that VC would be an awesome game way before anyone else here did.

Oh yeah, time to update the place my sig links to...

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    Grayjack72Grayjack72 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You're doing God's work, Chrono

Not really an OP though.

What improvements does it need?

Woah, woah, lord and master? All I did was realise that VC would be an awesome game way before anyone else here did.

I said it wasn't an OP because it was on the fifth page, but Henroid fixed that.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That was the plan all along.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh yeah, due to your passive-aggressive urging I finally linked my sig to this thread
    I'm on to your game, Chrono >.> <.<

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    That was the plan all along.

I had to.
    justasplanne.jpg

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I was gonna put more in my post but I realized that image had perfect opportunity for use when I had that sentence out.

My sig has been linking to the wiki for a while.

Anyone know how the game is doing in terms of sales? World-wide and NA wise?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just finished it a couple day's ago. Probably ranks up there with some of my all time favorite games. One of the most surprising things is that I really enjoyed the English voice track. The last few demo's of Japanese rpg's brought over here have made me cringe with their English voice track.

I'm excited to see that DLC is coming, this is one of those games that I almost want to do another play through instead of moving on to another game in my backlog.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Warder45 wrote: »
    Just finished it a couple day's ago. Probably ranks up there with some of my all time favorite games. One of the most surprising things is that I really enjoyed the English voice track. The last few demo's of Japanese rpg's brought over here have made me cringe with their English voice track.

I'm excited to see that DLC is coming, this is one of those games that I almost want to do another play through instead of moving on to another game in my backlog.

Get a VC sig you

Rent on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009

Get a VC sig you

Hey, Rent. Totally hypothetically, if I found a font that looked close enough, and I was hypothetically gonna ORDER someone to get a VC sig, would you want the order to be stamped or just signed? Aesthetic decision time.

Also, you originally said you wanted it to be signature sized, if I recall correctly. The dimensions are off - it's 2.8:1, but signature restrictions on these fora are 6.25:1. Basically, the order would either be only ~40 pixels tall, or have chopped off ends, which would be unreadable. Do you mind if I just create a 1200X450 picture that you can link to each time?

Totally hypothetically, of course.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shivahn wrote: »

Get a VC sig you

Hey, Rent. Totally hypothetically, if I found a font that looked close enough, and I was hypothetically gonna ORDER someone to get a VC sig, would you want the order to be stamped or just signed? Aesthetic decision time.

Also, you originally said you wanted it to be signature sized, if I recall correctly. The dimensions are off - it's 2.8:1, but signature restrictions on these fora are 6.25:1. Basically, the order would either be only ~40 pixels tall, or have chopped off ends, which would be unreadable. Do you mind if I just create a 1200X450 picture that you can link to each time?

I would, hypothetically, be very interested in said font.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I bought this pretty much when it came out and I'm only getting round to it now (blame Fallout 3 and college).
    Why did it I leave it so long to play this? This game is so fucking great.
    So. Fucking. Great

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    I bought this pretty much when it came out and I'm only getting round to it now (blame Fallout 3 and college).
    Why did it I leave it so long to play this? This game is so fucking great.
    So. Fucking. Great

Yeah, it is.
    Get a VC Sig you.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    ValkyriaX01ValkyriaX01 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    maybe they need to give everyone animal transformations and swords and sega will greenlight it
    That sounds suspiciously like another Japanese (or Korean) game that was recently released for the Xbox 360. It was also set in a WWII-ish setting.

But hey, if Welkin becomes a Werewolf Tank Commander, Alicia a Cheetah Scout, Rosie a Tiger Gunner, Largo an Ape Lancer, and Eleanor a Panther Commander, then I'm all up for it!

Bonus specials/stats when in half-state. Damn Naz- I mean, Evil Empire Germ Warfare!

Also, my heart's happy now that I can play as Valkyria Selvaria! :lol:

ValkyriaX01 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    maybe they need to give everyone animal transformations and swords and sega will greenlight it
    That sounds suspiciously like another Japanese (or Korean) game that was recently released for the Xbox 360. It was also set in a WWII-ish setting.

But hey, if Welkin becomes a Werewolf Tank Commander, Alicia a Cheetah Scout, Rosie a Tiger Gunner, Largo an Ape Lancer, and Eleanor a Panther Commander, then I'm all up for it!

Bonus specials/stats when in half-state. Damn Naz- I mean, Evil Empire Germ Warfare!

That's Operation Darkness.
    Fun Fact: The Fiancee of the main character is named Alicia, and a playable character is named Cordelia.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Shivahn wrote: »

Get a VC sig you

Could you, hypothetically, create the linked picture, but hypothetically a zoomed-in, sig-size banner of "Get a VC sig you" that I could use as a link in my sig?
    Hypothetically?
    Hypotehtical thanks, by the way :lol:
    Also, I'd enjoy it if it was stamped...er...hypothetically
    This is Schrodinger's sig, right here

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, with the forced vacation from the fora, I was jonesing for some VC so I decided to check out the official website for VC
    "How bad could it be...can't be that bad, right? Carbonfire was probably being hyperbolic..." I thought to myself
    Oh how wrong I was

The website, whilst pretty, is kind of bare-bones. Just a picture of Selvaria in Ass-Kicking mode on the right, tabs to navigate on the left. The tabs are:

Home
    Game Info
    Character Info
    Media
    Downloads
    Press

On the 'home' page, the one you're automatically navigated to when going to the site, it has a little update feed for VC info on it. Last updated- 16 March 2009.
    What's it say? 'Three new DLC packs available Spring 2009'? Interesting.
    It describes them in detail, I guess- but here's the worst part- there's no fucking price on that. How much is it, Sega? How much are the three DLC packs? Five dollars? Ten dollars? One eleventeen gajillion dollars? Fuck if I know, it's just money, right? And who cares about money when you can texture-map Shadow cornholing Sonic at 720p, amirite guyz?!
    And there's been no updates since then. None. None at all. Almost a full month, in which they've announced the price and date of the DLC drop, and no fucking mention. It's fucking sad when a third party website does your advertising for you. And I'm not just talking about us. Oh no. I'm talking about whoever broke the news in the first place. I'm having this idea that all the PR reps were discussing new ways to get the DA community to buy their shitty Sonic games for the one millionth time:
    "Ooh, what if we called it a reboot of the series, but added a new, all black, angsty Sonic?! What then?"
    "Oh, but we already have Shadow, Bob."
    "Well, let's make it blacker than black. We'll make it black-black. So black That it'll make Samuel L. Jackson look like Pat Robertson, black. So black they'll create a new black just to name it after our new super black hedgehog...we'll name him...Dusk! Yeah! Dusk!"
    "You're a fucking genius, Bob! Promotions for everyone! Time for the bodyshots off of some crackwhore we've found in the street! PAR-TY! PAR-TY! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CH-Wha? Valkyria Whatthefuckticles? Oh yeah, it's on like...April 16. Or some shit. I dunno. I'm so fuckin high right now you wouldn't believe."

So after noticing that aberration, I check out the (only) other update. It's on the 29th of October. They've released wallpapers! Well, all right, we don't have wallpapers, but I don't think it's for lack of trying, it's simply because I don't think anyone in this thread really wants wallpapers. But whatever. They tried. Point for them.

But...but what's this? Avatars? Ooh, avatars. We use avatars in this thread. This is a good idea, Sega. Let me check out your avatars. Maybe you have some we don't have oh what the fuck

SEGA'S MASTER LIST OF AMAZING VC AVATARS (WHICH I HAD TO RESIZE BECAUSE THEY WERE A REALLY FUCKING WEIRD, RECTANGULAR SIZE):
    valkyria_selv_1.png
    valkyria_selv1_fix.png
    valkyria_gallia_4.png
    valkyria_gallia_3.png
    valkyria_gallia_1.png
    valkyria_alicia-1.png

Yeah. That's right. Six fucking avatars. Remember, that hasn't been updated in six goddamn months. Me, a useless fuck with way too much time on his hands and an unhealthy obsession with this game, was able to make almost 50 in the time you made six, you fucking douchebags.
    Oh, and remember how they talked about Edy's mission on the home page, right? There is no other information on Edy anywhere else on the website? Who's this "Edy" person? Fuck if I know, Sega.

Well, since I don't know who she is, I guess I won't get that DLC, because why the fuck should I care, right? You obviously don't.

Well, let's continue on, shall we? Onto Game Info, the next tab in this hilarious tragedy of a fansite.
    Eh, admittedly, they do a good job of setting up the background of EWII, and it's pretty concise. I'd say this...this is pretty good. Like, even objectively good. All right Sega, point for you.

Now on to Battle Systems.

WHAT the FUCK Sega. Seriously. This is one of the best TBS- hell, JRPG battle systems, and it gets relegated to barely two paragraphs and a brief description of the classes? What about the fucking tanks? What about orders? What about how the fuck CP works? What about interception fire? What about cover? What about potentials? What about support fire? What about redeployment? What about permadeath? What about capturing bases? (None of what I just listed was at all in the battle system page. Not. At. All.)
    I...I just can't believe this. I refuse to believe this. This is the work of retards. Of honest to God mentally retarded people.
    Chrono Helix made a better (as in actually good) descriptor of the battle system, and he's a guy on the internet. (No offense, dude :P ). You pay people to sell your game, and they come up with THIS bullshit? Fuck you, assholes.

Then I go on to Media, just to complete the trainwreck. Wow. 23 screenshots. Too bad there's no description of WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON in any of those screenshots.
    Oh, also, it has a "more coming soon" at the bottom. Yeah, I'm sure they're gonna come, Sega. Any day now.
    And then videos. 6 videos, none of which are of the upcoming DLC. Who needs video examples when you have a barely-two-paragraph descriptor of the events set to unfold? That'll sell it much better than, you know, EFFORT.

And finally, to complete the Insanity, we have Press. Ooh, press!
    Five reviews. Five of them. Five of them. That's it. It's like, they can't even put in the effort to congratulate themselves. I...what the fuck, Sega. There are no words. There are no fucking words in defense as to why you couldn't link more positive reviews. There really isn't. You are a sad, sad, company, and you depress me that a bunch of nerds on a forum about a webcomic where people talk about dicks, do more to promote your game than you ever did, have, or will.

You fucks.

Rent on
  • Options
    Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    and a cool male sniper instead of the ones we have...kiddo and cowardo

Man...
    Oscar is aces in my book. Later on you can unlock his brother, Emile. Put those two together and go to town. They are really deadly, especially when you start giving them the royal sniper rifles.

Cezary can go Darcsen hatin' in some other squad. Ain't having that sass.

Playthrough Update Time!:

Blasted on through 13 up to 16 (including the new reports in between them)

So [CH.15 Spoils]
    Is the only way to "sneak" up on Selvaria is just using smoke rounds on her. Tried to do quick second attacks behind her, but she always whipped around and fired. So, I smoked her position and torched her behind with the Shamrock.

A kick-ass game through and through.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bought it today because of 8 million VC sigs. Uhhh good work viral advertisers?

Well the 8 million sigs and about 3 hours sunk into the demo.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arkady wrote: »

Get a VC sig you!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Evangir wrote: »

Get a VC sig you!

Finnnneeeee.

Guess I'll do my part for Gallia.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

We now await Phase 3: you coming into the thread and going, "THIS GAME RULES!"

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

This game rulse so hard I'm actually reading all the stuff in the glossary. I have never done that before.

Did you know Bruhl's exports include dairy and bread made from locally grown wheat?

Favorite thing so far: The levelling system. Not having to spend hour after tedious hour bonking things uselessly with some casters staff to get them experience (FFT and Disgaea I am looking displeased in your direction) is the best thing to happen to the genre.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Holy shit (ch 4)
    Underwater tank assault! Fuck Yes!

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Another convert. Muaw ha ha!

Yeah chapter four is a pretty robust scene. It only gets better, mind you.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

That's Operation Darkness.
    Fun Fact: The Fiancee of the main character is named Alicia, and a playable character is named Cordelia.
    God that game was such trash. I don't know how they managed to screw it up. The camera control was awful. Just awful. I'm convinced the Devs made it after first hearing of Valkyria.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This game rulse so hard I'm actually reading all the stuff in the glossary. I have never done that before.

Did you know Bruhl's exports include dairy and bread made from locally grown wheat?

Favorite thing so far: The levelling system. Not having to spend hour after tedious hour bonking things uselessly with some casters staff to get them experience (FFT and Disgaea I am looking displeased in your direction) is the best thing to happen to the genre.

Man, I'm actually enjoying that part of Disgaea right now.

Both are nice.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am so bad at this game. I'm stuck on this one level where you just crossed the river in the tank and need to finish in 10 turns. I just can't move that fast :(

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Darkstryke wrote: »
    I am so bad at this game. I'm stuck on this one level where you just crossed the river in the tank and need to finish in 10 turns. I just can't move that fast :(

The trick, for me anyway was to
    hug the walls of the broken buildings until I could get my sniper into position to shoot their sniper. Smooth sailing after that. Also don't push too far forward with the Edelweiss until you lure that god damn lancer off the building. Also, the sniper's next is a trap. The tank will crushinate anyone you leave up there.

Also, uhh how do you withdraw troops? I forgot.

Also also, I love snipers.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Since I don't see it mentioned anywhere else on this thread, or any threads

Gamestop is selling new copies of Valkyria Chronicles for $30 from April 10 to the 16th. That's 1/2 of what most new games retail for. Now I know Gamestop is a dirty, evil place, but for a game this F****** good at a price that low, it's worth it to venture to your local Gamestop and buy it. Just take a shower afterwards and you’ll be fine.

For all you procrastinators out there, you now have zero excuses. Buy this game and enjoy it. Now.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright sigs, avatars, and comment bubbles on PSN. You win. I tried Valkyria Chronicles.

And it's not for me. After tyring the VC demo, and my recent time with Starcraft, I've learned that there is something about being defeated in a strategy game that bothers more than any other kind of losing. I get this feeling of investment in the decisions, then when things go so poorly so quickly...I'm just not wired to take it well.

I see the appeal, though, and I am glad that you are promoting an underdog game that is so well made.

I also love the art in the game. That's the most I have enjoyed an opening cinematic in a long time.

Raughn on
  • Options
    ZalinZalin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So [CH.15 Spoils]
    Is the only way to "sneak" up on Selvaria is just using smoke rounds on her. Tried to do quick second attacks behind her, but she always whipped around and fired. So, I smoked her position and torched her behind with the Shamrock.
    The first time i played that level I had a couple of snipers in the middle and a shocktrooper tucked away behind the right stairs, with Selvaria standing near the top of the stairs. managed to get her completely turned around enough each time for the next guy to attack the back of her.

But this last time? Oh man. She came down and tucked herself behind a building on the right side. Ran Alica over there below the building, she hops the sandbags, and nearly gets taken out. It takes two turns for Rosie to get to the top of the building, and her AP barely gets her around the corner. So from nearly point blank she opens fire on an unsuspecting Selvaria. It ends the mission, right there. I'd almost say my jaw dropped, cause I really wasn't expecting her to go down from that. But hey, it was a machine gun to the back of the head, right?

Zalin on
    Steam: Zalin Drelan | PSN: Aragorn566
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Raughn wrote: »
    Alright sigs, avatars, and comment bubbles on PSN. You win. I tried Valkyria Chronicles.

And it's not for me. After tyring the VC demo, and my recent time with Starcraft, I've learned that there is something about being defeated in a strategy game that bothers more than any other kind of losing. I get this feeling of investment in the decisions, then when things go so poorly so quickly...I'm just not wired to take it well.

I see the appeal, though, and I am glad that you are promoting an underdog game that is so well made.

I also love the art in the game. That's the most I have enjoyed an opening cinematic in a long time.

Well, at least you gave it the ol' college try
    Darkstryke wrote: »

Get a VC sig you

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Zalin wrote: »
    So [CH.15 Spoils]
    The first time i played that level I had a couple of snipers in the middle and a shocktrooper tucked away behind the right stairs, with Selvaria standing near the top of the stairs. managed to get her completely turned around enough each time for the next guy to attack the back of her.

But this last time? Oh man. She came down and tucked herself behind a building on the right side. Ran Alica over there below the building, she hops the sandbags, and nearly gets taken out. It takes two turns for Rosie to get to the top of the building, and her AP barely gets her around the corner. So from nearly point blank she opens fire on an unsuspecting Selvaria. It ends the mission, right there. I'd almost say my jaw dropped, cause I really wasn't expecting her to go down from that. But hey, it was a machine gun to the back of the head, right?
    Every time I do that mission, I sandwich Selvaria between the Edelweiss and the Shamrock, then I shoot her with their machine guns.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, if you go back to play a previous story mission, do you keep the upgrades and stuff, or..what happens?

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    So, if you go back to play a previous story mission, do you keep the upgrades and stuff, or..what happens?

You can't play previous story missions.
    Until you beat the game, where you unlock a playthrough option. All your equipment and levels will be carried over.

Grayjack72 on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    (long post)

(takes out clipboard)
    (uncaps pen)
    (checks items 13 and 14)

Chrono Helix on