As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]lock

1444546474850»

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fair enough. Personally I care less about realism, and more about depth to my FPSes. But, different strokes, different folks.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Fair enough. Personally I care less about realism, and more about depth to my FPSes. But, different strokes, different folks.

Realism implies depth of combat.

I want an MMOFPS that is as complex as EVE Online.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's sad and amusing how picky my friends are about jobs when they're unemployed, have been unemployed since getting out of highschool, and there's a recession going on.

I swear to Christ Almighty if you give me their address I will kill them with fire

I work 40+ hours a week in a goddamn liquor store, dealing with the dark underbelly of society to pay the fuckin' bills. Tell them to cowboy the fuck up or I will set them on fire.

I've recently been forced to pick up a second job. The last job my best friend had was about half a year ago in telemarketing. He didn't like it so he quit after one week. That was the only job he's had in... ever, now that I think about it. Dude's been out of highschool for a year, no job, just lying around his parents' apartment.

What the fuck is with these parents

Like, if I tried that, by the third week, my Dad would be like, "Welp, here's a blanket and a cardboard box, go suck dick behind Olive Garden. Call us if you get stabbed, we'll come get you."

They threaten to kick him out, then he goes looking for jobs, dropping off resumes, and returns home empty-handed. That one job he got, he managed to get by a deadline they had set, and had he not gotten that job, presumably they would have kicked him out. Since then, they haven't set another deadline, and he's in no real rush to get a job.

It's annoying for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that he rarely has any money, and so hanging out is pretty limited.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

What? No. No. No. No.

If you dare tell me Tribes 2 wasn't deep I am going to smack the fuck out of you.

Also, apparently that MMOFPS I linked is instanced like guild wars, instancing may allow for realistic MMOFPS games, but then they are really sort of faux MMOFPS.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Hey salv guess what

people's parents vary wildly

some even have bad parents or incredibly good parents

And some have no parents (because i know this is forthcoming anyway)

Some people also have one good parent and one bad parent.

Maybe they even, on occasion, use their child in little spats between each other, in their never ending war of good vs. evil

Oh oh, and some might have robot parents, or one single asexual androgynous parent that reproduced on their own!

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    wow I need to cut my cat's claws

ouch

Medopine on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't have a job and I'm a coward too :(

You're attending college.

Having a job while in school has its advantages but they're outweighed by the disadvantages, in my opinion.

In any case, you're better than they are, they're doing nothing.

I agree, and I have a job.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2009

What? No. No. No. No.

If you dare tell me Tribes 2 wasn't deep I am going to smack the fuck out of you.

Also, apparently that MMOFPS I linked is instanced like guild wars, instancing may allow for realistic MMOFPS games, but then they are really sort of faux MMOFPS.

I said that realistic combat means deep combat. I didn't say you needed to have realistic combat for it to be deep. There are other ways.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    eve online was all like LOOK AT ME I'M A SPACESHIP

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I said that realistic combat means deep combat. I didn't say you needed to have realistic combat for it to be deep. There are other ways.

I don't think realism necessarily implies deep combat. CoD4 is 'realistic', I'm not sure I would call it deep.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey salv guess what

Maybe they even, on occasion, use their child in little spats between each other, in their never ending war of good vs. evil

Oh oh, and some might have robot parents, or one single asexual androgynous parent that reproduced on their own!

red parent, blue parent
    one parent, two parent
    abusive parents, uh, intrusive parents. 8-)

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey salv guess what

this too

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I don't think realism necessarily implies deep combat. CoD4 is 'realistic', I'm not sure I would call it deep.

Can you run-and-gun in CoD4? I haven't played it so I don't know.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Realistic combat isn't deep at all. Realistic combat is "I shoot it once, maybe twice, it's dead."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh man, my new wireless router is awesome.

What kind is it. I still have my old WRT54GS from the olden days.

It's a Rosewill Rosewill RNX-EasyN4. Like the size of two decks of cards side-by-side, and it actually works unlike my WRT54GS, so that's a plus.

TL DR on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    royyyyyksoooopp

oh my I am so glad I discovered you in that snowboarding video from so long ago

Medopine on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    my parents are australian!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Realistic combat isn't deep at all. Realistic combat is "I shoot it once, maybe twice, it's dead."

Realistic combat can be deep. I think Red Orchestra is a very deep FPS and it's also one of the most realistic FPS games.

Sarksus: Define running and gunning? Because some degree of running and gunning is realistic. CoD4 tends to be more of a "imma hide in this corner and wait for someone to walk by" affair.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    I fumbled around made curried chicken & rice with bell peppers, potatoes, cucumbers, and garbanzo beans. It tastes good.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Reproducing by budding would be sweet. I'd be all growing babies out of my flesh, then throwing them at people in a pinch.

CATCH THIS!

Ahaha, yeah. Yeah, I just threw a baby at you.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dude, let's smoke! FOREVER!

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

-Fucking realistic action!
    -Inject your injured best friend with a lethal dose of morphine after he begs you to kill him!
    -Lose party members to roadside bombs!
    --Take it out on the civilian population!
    -Come home a traumatized shell of your former self!

TL DR on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I want my damn character to be restored on WoW. Damn it.

_J_ on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to play this game now. If nothing more than for the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM-4V12JLbk&feature=channel_page

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Realistic combat, to me, means using cover, firing short bursts to keep the cone of fire small, aiming for the head and not the center of mass, conserving ammunition.

Realistic combat can be deep. I think Red Orchestra is a very deep FPS and it's also one of the most realistic FPS games.

Sarksus: Define running and gunning? Because some degree of running and gunning is realistic. CoD4 tends to be more of a "imma hide in this corner and wait for someone to walk by" affair.

Running and gunning would mean running in the middle of an open area where there are enemies who have a line of sight as a result and then you shoot at them without any strategy in mind. Basically it's: find a target, close in on the target, shoot the target, regardless of environmental or other factors.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Running and gunning would mean running in the middle of an open area where there are enemies who have a line of sight as a result and then you shoot at them without any strategy in mind. Basically it's: find a target, close in on the target, shoot the target, regardless of environmental or other factors.

CoD4 isn't really that, no.

I can't remember, have you played Red Orchestra Sarksus?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

CoD4 isn't really that, no.

I can't remember, have you played Red Orchestra Sarksus?

Nope.

Also, to add something, I think physics are an important factor. Feeling like you and your weapon actually weigh something and behave realsitically is important.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Uhh I think 'aim for center mass' is closer to the real deal than 'shoot the glowing and readily apparent weak point'

TL DR on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    surprised that Than hasn't claimed an 80's post for a new thread

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Uhh I think 'aim for center mass' is closer to the real deal than 'shoot the glowing and readily apparent weak point'

Shut up, don't tear down my arguments!

Okay, I will concede that.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nope.

Also, to add something, I think physics are an important factor. Feeling like you and your weapon actually weigh something and behave realsitically is important.

Christ son.

Let me see if I have a guest pass or something. You will jizz in your fucking pants.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    surprised that Than hasn't claimed an 80's post for a new thread

The night is still young?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nope.

Christ son.

Let me see if I have a guest pass or something. You will jizz in your fucking pants.

Let me take off my pants first.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

-Fucking realistic action!
    -Inject your injured best friend with a lethal dose of morphine after he begs you to kill him!
    -Lose party members to roadside bombs!
    --Take it out on the civilian population!
    -Come home a traumatized shell of your former self!

I'd play that game.

I'd probably finish every session by drinking a bottle of scotch, but I'd play it.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fucking fat people.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'd always heard that aiming for the center-of-mass is what real soldiers were trained to do.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Let me take off my pants first.

Let me whet your apetite.

No crosshairs. No HUD. The physics of each bullet is calculated from barrel. Rounds can ricochet if they hit at the correct angle. You can't twitch around on the keyboard to dodge stuff because if you are running in one direction your body has momentum in that direction and you have to overcome that momentum before you move in a different one. You can rest your guns on ledges and buildings to stabilize your aim. You can change out the barrel on some machineguns if they get hot.

It will be a bit before I can give you a pass if I have one because I have to re download the game.

Stare in awe at your new god:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6RaX7heGc

:P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fucking fat people.

Stop hitting yourself!
    Stop hitting yourself!

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd always heard that aiming for the center-of-mass is what real soldiers were trained to do.

Yup. Biggest, easiest thing to hit.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.