As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney classics appreciation thread (NSF56K)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Given how badly park mascots get treated I can't help but wonder if people aren't mean to the poor robot murder-can, though. Maybe it's not like that at Disney since they rigidly enforce the "HAPPY HAPPY" rules but if it was at six flags or somewhere I can definitely see a crowd of surly, drunken teenagers hitting with a bat or stuffing it full of used condoms or something.

Well there's no one actually in the trash can. There's just a guy a discrete distance away with a headset and small control trying to blend with the crowd.
    Don't destroy the magic!
    It's not remote control, there's some incredibly uncomfortable midget or double amputee stuffed in that box making it roll around and terrify the next generation of potential litterers.

see317 on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    Given how badly park mascots get treated I can't help but wonder if people aren't mean to the poor robot murder-can, though. Maybe it's not like that at Disney since they rigidly enforce the "HAPPY HAPPY" rules but if it was at six flags or somewhere I can definitely see a crowd of surly, drunken teenagers hitting with a bat or stuffing it full of used condoms or something.

Well there's no one actually in the trash can. There's just a guy a discrete distance away with a headset and small control trying to blend with the crowd.
    Don't destroy the magic!
    It's not remote control, there's some incredibly uncomfortable midget or double amputee stuffed in that box making it roll around and terrify the next generation of potential litterers.
    R2D2 has fallen on hard times.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The characters generally have very little vision as well, especially peripheral. Most also tend to be petite girls too, for body size reasons mostly.

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought it was entirely automatic and kept wondering how the park staff knew when it needed to be emptied.

Duffel on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Back in my day, all the best Disney characters roamed the park in droves, grabbing every one of their fans for cherished hugs and photos.

Last time I was there you had to know someone who knew someone 8 months ahead of time if you wanted to get a glimpse of Micky or Cindy. ANd even then it was only in special locations or special dinners or whatever. And the others lame characters made brief appearances with handlers who forced you into a rather demeaning queue in order to get a boring photo op.

Yar on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    Back in my day, all the best Disney characters roamed the park in droves, grabbing every one of their fans for cherished hugs and photos.

Last time I was there you had to know someone who knew someone 8 months ahead of time if you wanted to get a glimpse of Micky or Cindy. ANd even then it was only in special locations or special dinners or whatever. And the others lame characters made brief appearances with handlers who forced you into a rather demeaning queue in order to get a boring photo op.
    You can thank Michael Eisner for turning Disney into no more than a license to print money. Thankfully, he's gone.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lady and the Tramp has always been my favorite. Can't find many people who agree with me though.

And I have a digital copy of Song of the South.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Who's Cindy?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    'rella

Yar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ah. Of course.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You'd think having an interracial couple would be considered less racist. It's pretty rare even in today's movies. It's always annoying to me when in a movie/tv show/whatever everybody starts pairing off and *gasp* the two black characters fall in love with each other! Even though they have nothing in common! Imagine that!

Something from my improv experience (which albeit a different beast, I think this has a hair to do with the movie); if you point out a characters race or gender, thats the point of the scene. It just affects peoples minds somehow strange.

And the guy who does that trashcan is good, damned thing is constantly talking. Given how surrounded it is my a crowd there is no way someone is inside. I doubt they are in the crowd too, probably in a building similar to the magic fountain at Universal.
    (omg insider secrets)

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

You can thank Michael Eisner for turning Disney into no more than a license to print money. Thankfully, he's gone.

Actually, considering what the lines were like for photos/signatures when we were there last year on our honeymoon, I'd say it's because they'd get fucking mobbed.

Also, when we were there, we took our picture with Mickey and Minnie. Everyone went up, took the picture, shook hands, hugged, and walked away. They stopped the line for us since we had the little "Just Married" buttons on, and gave us a lot of extra attention. They struck half a dozen poses with us, made sure to take good pictures with our own camera... it was awesome.

It was like being a little kid and getting to say "nyah nyah, Mickey likes us better!" to all the other kids in line. :lol:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My high school design class went on a field trip to Disneyworld back in 2004 and got to see a lot of the attractions from backstage, such as The Haunted House and... I dunno, I think Space Mountain. The Haunted House was the best though. All smoke and mirrors, literally.

I especially loved how they projected realistic footage onto the characters, instead of going the animatronic route. Way more unsettling to look at...

Cristoval on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I remember going to Disney World back when I was in first grade. One day, we were all sitting down to a meal at a restaurant and a guy dressed up like Pluto made some rounds entertaining the guests. I wouldn't remember this except for one thing Pluto did - the table next to ours had a baby in a high chair, couldn't have been more than two years old. Pluto walked over to the family, shook hands with the parents, and then put his whole 'mouth' over the baby's head, playfully acting like he was eating the baby. *glompf*

The little squirt enjoyed it.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Macera wrote: »
    Night on Bald Mountain is the best Disney thing ever.
    Night on Bald Mountain gave me nightmares for years when I was a little kid.

Really? I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. After I first saw it I spent months afterwards doodling the creatures that appear in the short. It's one of the best examples that Disney can and should do "serious" work.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The detective woman in the Gargoyles cartoon said, "Damn" in the second episode. The evil billionaire said, "Hell" in the first episode.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The detective woman in the Gargoyles cartoon said, "Damn" in the second episode. The evil billionaire said, "Hell" in the first episode.

Heck, someone got shot on Gaygoyles. It was off-screen, but still.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Really? I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. After I first saw it I spent months afterwards doodling the creatures that appear in the short. It's one of the best examples that Disney can and should do "serious" work.

I went to Disneyland when I was four. My mom was eight and a half months pregnant with my brother at that point. She was huge. I'm talking the kind of mythical pregnant that shouldn’t really happen to anyone, ever. She was waddling around Disneyland and I was holding her hand. During one of our stops to pose with a costumed character he groped her butt. He groped my gigh-normous, waddling mother.

I wish I could remember which character it was.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I went to Disneyland when I was four. My mom was eight and a half months pregnant with my brother at that point. She was huge. I'm talking the kind of mythical pregnant that shouldn’t really happen to anyone, ever. She was waddling around Disneyland and I was holding her hand. During one of our stops to pose with a costumed character he groped her butt. He groped my gigh-normous, waddling mother.

I wish I could remember which character it was.

Probably Goofy.
    But seriously thats like five kinds of horrible.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    My high school design class went on a field trip to Disneyworld back in 2004 and got to see a lot of the attractions from backstage, such as The Haunted House and... I dunno, I think Space Mountain. The Haunted House was the best though. All smoke and mirrors, literally.

I especially loved how they projected realistic footage onto the characters, instead of going the animatronic route. Way more unsettling to look at...

As someone who hates roller coasters and loves old houses and ghost stories, the Haunted Mansion is the tits.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I hear a lot about Eisner ripping the soul out of Disney, but I must have missed it happening.

What exactly did he do?

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This one company I was working for in Japan sent about 150 of us to Tokyo Disneyland after we'd had a pretty good year, I was 28 at the time. I was with a group of 5 co-workers and we went on a tour of Cinderella's castle, the rest of the tour group was mostly adults except for 2 kids about 3 years old.

At the end of the tour, the tour guide asks for help from someone from the group to help destroy the bad guy from the Black Cauldron (why he's in Cinderella's castle I don't know.) All you have to do is hold this glowing sword. Since the kids in the group were pretty small he chose me, the biggest white guy in the group. I help him out, act it up a bit with him and had a great time. Later on they have a little ceremony and presented me a medal for helping save Tokyo Disneyland. It has "Hero of Tokyo Disneyland" engraved on it.

I wore this thing around work for the next couple of days, and kept asking people if they needed help, because I was the Hero of Tokyo Disneyland. Still have that medal somewhere.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KG3000 wrote: »
    I wore this thing around work for the next couple of days, and kept asking people if they needed help, because I was the Hero of Tokyo Disneyland. Still have that medal somewhere.

That's awesome, and you're my hero.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Awesome story.

Tell me you use that medal in arguments.

"WELL SCREW YOU BUDDY I'M THE HERO OF TOKYO DISNEYLAND!"

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrMister wrote: »

That's awesome, and you're my hero.

never die on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only ties I have to Disneyland is the fact that my dad worked behind the scenes on the Peter Pan and Snow White dark-rides, regular maintenance and shit. But that was before I was born. He also went to Tokyo Disney around their opening as well.

Also, when we lived in SoCal, it was a lot easier to take a day trip to Disneyland than it is now, and we have a few home movies of me in the park when I wasn't more than 6 years old. Favorite part of one is when Chip and Dale are walking around, and Chip squats down for the "come hug me kid" pose, when all of a sudden I bolt of camera. Camera pans and there's me, 50 feet down the way, giving Gadget the biggest leg-hug I can because Gadget was fucking awesome. Never saw Monty though.

Also, when I went down last spring, we purchased one of those special passes (week long park-hopper VIP etc shit whathaveyou), and one of the pamphlets they gave us had "approximate" times to meet characters, and where'd they be in the park. Jack Sparrow was on the island at Disneyland, but was only there for like 5 minutes after being 20 minutes late (this was really all for my gf's 7 year old cousin), and was really a total doucebag. Supposedly he was acting 'in character', but to walk away as you signing a little kids signature book, then drop it over your shoulder makes you look more like an asshole, not Jack Sparrow. Hell, I looked like a better Jack for Halloween two years ago.

However, me and my gf's experiences with all the other characters was pretty good. Saw the Queen of Hearts, Pluto, jeez a few others I forget, and I posed with Buzz Lightyear because Buzz is awesome.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Camera pans and there's me, 50 feet down the way, giving Gadget the biggest leg-hug I can because Gadget was fucking awesome. Never saw Monty though.

:winky:

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

I hear a lot about Eisner ripping the soul out of Disney, but I must have missed it happening.

What exactly did he do?
    He gave in to the almighty dollar. If it increased the bottom line, he'd do it, no matter how many times it'd make Walt spin in his grave. There's a reason Disney decided to stop making all those direct-to-video sequels of movies, Eisner left. Under his watch, Epcot got turned into just another ride-fest, the educational side is all but gone. Pleasure Island was an Eisner concoction, an 'adults only' area with clubs and bars. Guess what? Eisner left, and as of 2008 the clubs are gone.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pleasure Island opened in 89, the clubs closed in 08, and Eisner took over in... 2005?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pleasure Island opened in 89, the clubs closed in 08, and Eisner took over in... 2005?

BZZT.

He took over in 1984 and was ousted in 2005. Ironically, Roy Disney was both the reason for him being brought into the fold in '84 and for ousting him in '05. The so called first and second "Save Disney" wars. Both times signified a significant change for the company. The first lead to the Disney Renaissance in the late '80s and early '90s. This new change brought Pixar more into the limelight and allowed the recreation of the traditional Animation department, which is where The Princess and the Frog is coming from. Hence why I said I believe we're about to experience the second Renaissance.

I will say that it sucks that PI closed, though. It was far more entertaining then the Downtown Orlando and *shudders* OBT nightlife. I will also say that I fear the day that Roy Disney dies. He has been the only glimmer of hope that the company has had for a very long time. Although, with Pixar being such a powerful force within Disney now, maybe I'm worrying for nothing. I guess we'll see.

Lynx on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lynx wrote: »

I will also say that I fear the day that Roy Disney dies. He has been the only glimmer of hope that the company has had for a very long time. Although, with Pixar being such a powerful force within Disney now, maybe I'm worrying for nothing. I guess we'll see.

You corrected yourself one sentence later. Learn to love John Lasseter, he's the one that got the 2D studio running again

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awesome story.

Don't remember using it during any arguments but a few other different situations.

Are you sure you should have that beer with lunch? Of course, I'm the Hero of Tokyo Disneyland.

And one of my co-workers helped out a few times. You should go ask that girl for her number. No way she would refuse the Hero of Tokyo Disneyland.

And she didn't :winky:

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Awesome story.

Don't remember using it during any arguments but a few other different situations.

Are you sure you should have that beer with lunch? Of course, I'm the Hero of Tokyo Disneyland.

And one of my co-workers helped out a few times. You should go ask that girl for her number. No way she would refuse the Hero of Tokyo Disneyland.

And she didn't :winky:

virtual-high-five.gif

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Black Cauldron is pretty mediocre. I watched it for the first time (I think) tonight.

What a lame way for the villian to bite the dust. Looked cool, but lame.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I bought Disney Classics box from local specialist store. 20 movies for 200 euros. It was easier (and also less expensive) to collect less important classics this way. Box includes following movies:

Dumbo
    Alice in Wonderland
    The Sword in the Stone
    The Aristocats
    Robin Hood
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    The Rescuers
    The Black Cauldron
    The Great Mouse Detective
    Oliver & Company
    The Rescuers Down Under
    Pocahontas
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Hercules
    Mulan
    Tarzan
    The Emperor's New Groove
    Lilo & Stitch
    Treasure Planet
    Brother Bear

Pretty neat set, although it doesn't obviously include most important movies.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's missing some important ones, but on the whole, very nice.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm just glad they're starting to do more traditional animation instead of the pixar/toystory type stuff again. The CGI stuff is all well and good but for a while there I wondered if the next generation of kids was going to grow up with no traditionally animated movies at all.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yeah. In addition of these, I already have Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, and Aladdin on the shelf. I'm missing 24 movies, but if I start to collect, I think I will skip all musical pieces and movies made after Fantasia 2000.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    elkatas wrote: »

Yeah. In addition of these, I already have Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, and Aladdin on the shelf. I'm missing 24 movies, but if I start to collect, I think I will skip all musical pieces and movies made after Fantasia 2000.
    Yeah, those were the ones I'm thinking of, although Beauty and the Beast does stand out as missing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, those were the ones I'm thinking of, although Beauty and the Beast does stand out as missing.

I'm also missing Lion King. It is shame that both movies are currently OOP, and go for 80 euros in used market. Way too much for my tastes.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Why the hell are disney movies out of print? I would think that they're the definition of a product that the demand never goes down (since people are always having kids).

Duffel on