As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3s on Ebay: The Aftermath

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Backlash wrote:
    It was a much-touted feature in the first wave of basketball games for the 360.

Seriously, the players were covered, it was gross.
    Yeah, I remember that. If I werent already done with basketball games after the flawless NBA Live 95, that would've turned me off forever. Nasty.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I saw a ps3 today at Circuit City.

That's all I can add here.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    NPNP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    Where the fuck do you people live, Siberia? I defy you to locate one in my area of the country (Ohio). I consider myself fortunate to have bought one.

And at what point does the Sony bashing cross the line to Dead Horse territory? We get it already: you dislike Sony.
    His location info would lead me to believe he's in Biloxi, MS. And that post isn't really Sony-bashing, it's just more anecdotal evidence that PS3 is easily available and just isn't selling.

Here in orange county, it's rare that i see a ps3 on the shelves for longer than a day, but then I havent seen even a hint of wiis anywhere in the county since release day.

Then maybe the correct argument here is: the system is selling in more affluent areas of the country? I'm no class warrior, but the quality of life in Columbus is a tad better, so maybe people don't hesitate to make the investment?

I don't know, I mean... the PS3 thread is gone; do we really need another 10-page rehash of UMD Sucks/Sony sucks/olol expensive all over again?

edit: Never mind, my argument sucks now.

In NJ, not too far from NYC (so definitely not the boondocks, and in a very affluent area), I saw about 20 of them just sitting on the Best Buy floor this weekend. And these weren't display boxes, I tried picking one up and it was the real deal, the console was in there. One of the salesman even tried pitching it to me, but I was like "nope, just looking.."

Anyway, I actually already own a PS3, unopened. I've been struggling with myself debating whether or not I should open it, and I've finally decided today to just return it back to Gamestop. I'm gonna head over there probably in like an hour or so. I mean, even if I do connect it, what am I going to play? All that interests me is Resistance, and the only thing anybody ever has to say about it is "good, but not as good as Gears". I already own and have beaten Gears, I'm not really interested in a game whose primary feature is "almost as good as Gears". I know, I know, different game, whatever, but it's not worth 600 fucking dollars. What else is there? The only system seller for me is MGS4, but that's still a long way away. I'll maybe reevaluate my position when that finally comes out, if it's not already coming out for the 360.

Another thing that really pisses me off and has stopped me from opening it is the lack of component cables. It's a small issue, but what the hell am I supposed to do with this high-definition/Blu-Ray/Cell processor expensive machine if I'm stuck using 1980s technology to display my games/movies? Oh what's that? You want me to spend even more money to buy a high definition cable? Well fuck you, Sony.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a hater or anything, but I really feel that most of my sentiments are exactly how the average consumer feels about the PS3 at this point. I didn't buy the PS3 to scalp it, I really thought that I would get some mileage out of it, but the question really boiled down to this for me: would I rather have $600, or a Playstation 3? and the answer was very obvious at that point. I just got a Wii yesterday, and I already own a 360, so I would rather store my 360/Wii games in solid wads of cash than own a PS3.

NP on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was at Toys R Us earlier and they had 3 60GBs and 1 20GB. I heard two employees talking about how they'd been sitting there for over a week.

Best Buy had a sign on the PS3 game shelf saying "PS3s in stock! Buy now!"

I understand that this is a growing trend, and honestly, it confuses me. I just find it hard to believe that only 500,000 people (or however many PS3s have been sold in the US) are the hardcore "Sony faithful" who are willing to shell out the $5/600. I thought it would be hard to get one until at least a few months into this year.

bruin on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    I was at Toys R Us earlier and they had 3 60GBs and 1 20GB. I heard two employees talking about how they'd been sitting there for over a week.

I understand that this is a growing trend, and honestly, it confuses me. I just find it hard to believe that only 500,000 people (or however many PS3s have been sold in the US) are the hardcore "Sony faithful" who are willing to shell out the $5/600. I thought it would be hard to get one until at least a few months into this year.

And I thought it would be easy to get a Wii untill maybe close to Christmas. Who knew?

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:

There are a lot of faithful Sony buyers. It's just that only a handful of them are willing to buy a $500/$600 PS3 with only one good game to play.

I hate to say it, but it's honestly true though, that's what you get for selling a product that's $200 more expensive then your competitor's product.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    tarnok wrote:
    bruin wrote:

And I thought it would be easy to get a Wii untill maybe close to Christmas. Who knew?

Most everyone who posts on this board. :P

Accualt on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    tarnok wrote:
    bruin wrote:

Most everyone who posts on this board. :P

Indeed. I camped outside of a walmart a couple of days with my friends to get mine at launch

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    Where the fuck do you people live, Siberia? I defy you to locate one in my area of the country (Ohio). I consider myself fortunate to have bought one.

And at what point does the Sony bashing cross the line to Dead Horse territory? We get it already: you dislike Sony.
    His location info would lead me to believe he's in Biloxi, MS. And that post isn't really Sony-bashing, it's just more anecdotal evidence that PS3 is easily available and just isn't selling.

Here in orange county, it's rare that i see a ps3 on the shelves for longer than a day, but then I havent seen even a hint of wiis anywhere in the county since release day.

Then maybe the correct argument here is: the system is selling in more affluent areas of the country? I'm no class warrior, but the quality of life in Columbus is a tad better, so maybe people don't hesitate to make the investment?

I don't know, I mean... the PS3 thread is gone; do we really need another 10-page rehash of UMD Sucks/Sony sucks/olol expensive all over again?

edit: Never mind, my argument sucks now.

I missed this comment, but err...a large percentage of the gulf coast where I live is pretty damn affluent. Property value is high (and was high BEFORE katrina, it's ludicrous now). So yeah, not a good arguement

Ludious on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man this is all great news for the Europe/Australia market - I can hear them typing up the new PAL labels as we speak.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    victor_c26 wrote:
    bruin wrote:

There are a lot of faithful Sony buyers. It's just that only a handful of them are willing to buy a $500/$600 PS3 with only one good game to play.

I hate to say it, but it's honestly true though, that's what you get for selling a product that's $200 more expensive then your competitor's product.
    By "faithful" I meant the people who would buy it at any price (within reason) with no good games on it. Those people do exist.

bruin on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    victor_c26 wrote:
    bruin wrote:

By "faithful" I meant the people who would buy it at any price (within reason) with no good games on it. Those people do exist.
    Perhaps 599 US dollars wasn't as "within reason" as many people (Sony included) thought?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They said a few weeks ago that supply issues have been mostly resolved and they should start catching up. This shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

I don't see how it's a bad thing if people can actually,.. you know... BUY a product that's for sale. So what if they aren't impossible to find anymore? That's a good thing. So what if there weren't as many desperate/rich/stupid people as the ebay scalpers thought there would be... that's a VERY good thing... it means maybe next time some big thing launches the actual customers will be able to get their hands on one, instead of ebay scumfucks camping out all night buying 15 at a time (hey I can dream!)

NPD's numbers for Dec/year end won't be out for another week or so. We'll see then if the 360 really outsold everyone (including the PS2 and DS Lite? bwahahaa..) or if Sony is really ZOMG teh doooomed!!!1oenoen :arrow:

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    They said a few weeks ago that supply issues have been mostly resolved and they should start catching up. This shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

I don't see how it's a bad thing if people can actually,.. you know... BUY a product that's for sale. So what if they aren't impossible to find anymore? That's a good thing. So what if there weren't as many desperate/rich/stupid people as the ebay scalpers thought there would be... that's a VERY good thing... it means maybe next time some big thing launches the actual customers will be able to get their hands on one, instead of ebay scumfucks camping out all night buying 15 at a time (hey I can dream!)

NPD's numbers for Dec/year end won't be out for another week or so. We'll see then if the 360 really outsold everyone (including the PS2 and DS Lite? bwahahaa..) or if Sony is really ZOMG teh doooomed!!!1oenoen :arrow:

It's not that they're apparently in stock. It's that many store employees have stated that they just aren't selling.

It shows that the PS3 isn't going to sell as well as Sony would have hoped.

And no, I don't remember anyone saying "Sony is teh doomed, olol!"

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    You're not doing it right. Nintendo is doomed. Sony is olol.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    victor_c26 wrote:
    bruin wrote:

I wish I could remember who it was, but I definitely remember an interview with a Sony exec saying the PS3 would sell millions even if there were no games released.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:

Nobody's saying the stock is necessarily a bad thing. It's great for people who want a PS3.

But if the systems are selling as slowly as all these people are saying, then it's a bad thing for Sony. At least for now.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just think it's funny people see a couple of PS3 boxes "just sitting there" and assume that = "they not selling at all ZOMG".

I mean.. a store gets X PS3 unit in, sells N of them in the first day or so... AND then Timmy Toolbox walks in to check if they got any Wiis (they don't) sees the other X-N boxes sitting on the floor, scrawls a fake sign and snaps a photo with his phone camera real quick and posts it all over the intertrons...

If you want to talk anecdotal evidence, I was in the EBstops yesterday to pick up the BD remote and the PS2 memory card reader (piece of shit should've been included...) and the guy in line in front of me also had a PS3 and was buying games. Also, a woman came in to buy a PSP and some games for it. I think 2 other dudes were getting some crap for the DS. All the other people in the store were little kids playing Guitar Hero or just running around smelling up the place. Therefore I can conclude based on this very scientific evidence that the following statistics are totally accurate:

1. 50% of all gamers own a PS3
    2. The other 50% have a PSP or maybe a DS.
    3. Only women buy the PSP, and 100% of all women in the world currently own one.
    4. 100% of little kids enjoy Guitar Hero, also they smell awful.

I should start a web page. I'll call it "Nexgenstats.com".

jwalk on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    I just think it's funny people see a couple of PS3 boxes "just sitting there" and assume that = "they not selling at all ZOMG".

I mean.. a store gets X PS3 unit in, sells N of them in the first day or so... AND then Timmy Toolbox walks in to check if they got any Wiis (they don't) sees the other X-N boxes sitting on the floor, scrawls a fake sign and snaps a photo with his phone camera real quick and posts it all over the intertrons...

If you want to talk anecdotal evidence, I was in the EBstops yesterday to pick up the BD remote and the PS2 memory card reader (piece of shit should've been included...) and the guy in line in front of me also had a PS3 and was buying games. Also, a woman came in to buy a PSP and some games for it. I think 2 other dudes were getting some crap for the DS. All the other people in the store were little kids playing Guitar Hero or just running around smelling up the place. Therefore I can conclude based on this very scientific evidence that the following statistics are totally accurate:

1. 50% of all gamers own a PS3
    2. The other 50% have a PSP or maybe a DS.
    3. Only women buy the PSP, and 100% of all women in the world currently own one.

I should start a web page. I'll call it "Nexgenstats.com".

While this post did make me laugh, come on dude, you have to admit, this close to launch, having spare PS3s all over the place when numbers have been damned limited means only one thing - not enough people want to buy one for $599 given the games that are available.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    I can't dispute that one.
    While this post did make me laugh, come on dude, you have to admit, this close to launch, having spare PS3s all over the place when numbers have been damned limited means only one thing - not enough people want to buy one for $599 given the games that are available.
    You can't assume the PS3 is not selling because people do not want it. Many people may not be able to afford one at this time, especially if they already spent a lot of money over the holidays.

I'm not even sure if the lackluster hardware sells are a bad thing for Sony right now because it does Sony no good if people buy the PS3 and cannot afford to buy any games or accessories.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    jwalk wrote:
    You can't assume the PS3 is not selling because people do not want it. Many people may not be able to afford one at this time, especially if they already spent a lot of money over the holidays.
    Either way, what good does it do for Sony's bottom line and developer confidence in the system? The reason people aren't buying doesn't matter. On the fact that they aren't.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    jwalk wrote:
    Either way, what good does it do for Sony's bottom line and developer confidence in the system? The reason people aren't buying doesn't matter. On the fact that they aren't.

I think it is a pretty bad sign. This time last year you couldn't beg borrow or steal a 360. They also shipped 2x as many 360s as sony has the ps3.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't take my word as scientific fact, but I've done a lot of post Christmas returning/bargain hunting over the past two weeks and I noticed an alarming trend. Not only do places have PS3's in stock in some degree, but that the ones that sell are actually the 20 GB model! I was pretty startled by this, but I asked around. Most of the clerks said that the $100 was the main reason, even after explaining the lack of wireless and card reader. The people who bought them (mainly parents who failed at getting one before Christmas) said that both were not features they cared about or thought that their kids would care about.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    NPNP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, I just returned mine to the Gamestop in Middletown, NJ, about 10 minutes ago, if anyone in this area is having trouble finding one (doubtful). At least I didn't have to wait on line to buy it originally...I think I'll be much happier with my money rather than the console, at least for now.

NP on
  • Options
    Guardian LegendGuardian Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If "24" was on Blu-Ray already, I'd get that Bestbuy PS3 right now. I wanna watch past seasons of "24" in HD, dangit!

Guardian Legend on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:

I think it's more the fact that Best Buy advertised them as being in stock this week, and told people to line up Sunday morning for a ticket. The general reaction appears to have been, "meh."

While some stores might have sold through, a lot of people are noticing that their local Best Buy still has them available. I saw a couple of 60 GB units this evening. Meijer had 5-6, and Target looks like it has the same 2-3 I saw on Tuesday.

If Best Buy had advertised the Wii like that, I bet they would have had to turn people away empty handed, and every store would have sold out by closing time Sunday.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:

I think it's more the fact that Best Buy advertised them as being in stock this week, and told people to line up Sunday morning for a ticket. The general reaction appears to have been, "meh."

While some stores might have sold through, a lot of people are noticing that their local Best Buy still has them available. I saw a couple of 60 GB units this evening. Meijer had 5-6, and Target looks like it has the same 2-3 I saw on Tuesday.

If Best Buy had advertised the Wii like that, I bet they would have had to turn people away empty handed, and every store would have sold out by closing time Sunday.
    Meijers...goddamn how i miss meijers. California doesnt have anywhere near as awesome.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Since were dealing in anecdotal evidence I'll mention this one more time:

1000 PS3s were put up for sale at 11am Pacific time on Future Shop.ca - we put up a banner advertising it at the same time. No flyer drop, no online ads, just a homepage banner.

Two hours later they were all gone. 1000 of them. Not two here or five there or a stack of 7 plaintive units with a scrawled sign. 1000. Effing. Playstations.

That's a PS3 every 12 seconds.

It appears that all you need to do is match the PS3 with the customer - people are looking and purchasing when they're finding (that was very Cap'n Jack Sparrow, I know). One guy paid $136 shipping to NUNAVUT for the damned thing.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Threepio wrote:
    One guy paid $136 shipping to NUNAVUT for the damned thing.

Where is that? The Canadian Arctic?

Anyway does anyone happen to have the number of PS3s that Sony has shipped by say the end of Dec. Then cross reference it with vgcharts or nexgenwars and you can get a estimate of the number sold and the percentage.

khain on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    khain wrote:
    Threepio wrote:
    One guy paid $136 shipping to NUNAVUT for the damned thing.

Where is that? The Canadian Arctic?

Yes. I believe an ice-breaker may have been involved.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    I'm not even sure if the lackluster hardware sells are a bad thing for Sony right now because it does Sony no good if people buy the PS3 and cannot afford to buy any games or accessories.

:lol: I like this reasoning. Even better is this scene from Sony HQ:

"You see, sir, the priceing on our console is so high that it pretty much makes it impossible to buy one and pay rent in the same month. Since homeless people don't have electricity they won't be able to play games on their PS3s in any case, so logically they won't buy any. Given that the consoles are loss leaders these sales figures are not a disaster but a blessing in disguise. Please don't fire me."

Seriously, if what you are saying is true then it only proof that Sony screwed up big time in makeing such an expensive console.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    For a media centre with an expandable 60gbs of memory, a Blu-Ray player, 'net portal and next-gen console, I honestly don't see how it can be considered too expensive. It's pricey, yeah, but it does a lot - if it's pricey compared to the 360, then I'd say if anything, the 360 was cheap. If it's not selling it's probably because it's features either a) aren't in demand by the general public or b) aren't being executed as well as expected.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think part of the problem is the PS3 has a lot of features, but unless you want all of them, $600 doesn't seem worth it.
    Also, I'm going to guess the launch games didn't sell that many consoles, compared to Twilight Princess which is I'm sure the reason some people picked up the Wii at launch rather then waiting, even with the GC release coming.

I'm actually hoping the PS3 doesn't fail. I mean, yeah, Sony's done some bullshit things, but games are games. Once the price drops on the PS3, and some of the titles I'm looking forward to come out, I'm definitely going to pick it up

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    bsjezz wrote:
    For a media centre with an expandable 60gbs of memory, a Blu-Ray player, 'net portal and next-gen console, I honestly don't see how it can be considered too expensive. It's pricey, yeah, but it does a lot - if it's pricey compared to the 360, then I'd say if anything, the 360 was cheap. If it's not selling it's probably because it's features either a) aren't in demand by the general public or b) aren't being executed as well as expected.
    It comes down to choice man. $600 for a bluray player is great. But I don't have a fucking HDTV, so what fucking good is a cheap bluray player to me? But I've got to pay for one if I want to play any goddamn playstation games anyway. Frankly, that chaps my ass.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    bsjezz wrote:

I don't want a media center, and most of the general public that thinks of the Playstation brand doesn't either. I want a game console. If it costs $600 just because they want to sell a media center this time around, no sale.

victor_c26 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Threepio wrote:
    Since were dealing in anecdotal evidence I'll mention this one more time:

1000 PS3s were put up for sale at 11am Pacific time on Future Shop.ca - we put up a banner advertising it at the same time. No flyer drop, no online ads, just a homepage banner.

Two hours later they were all gone. 1000 of them. Not two here or five there or a stack of 7 plaintive units with a scrawled sign. 1000. Effing. Playstations.

That's a PS3 every 12 seconds.

It appears that all you need to do is match the PS3 with the customer - people are looking and purchasing when they're finding (that was very Cap'n Jack Sparrow, I know). One guy paid $136 shipping to NUNAVUT for the damned thing.

Didn't Canadaland get shafted something fierce on the launch? Probably a lot of pent-up demand from that.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bsjezz wrote:
    It comes down to choice man. $600 for a bluray player is great. But I don't have a fucking HDTV, so what fucking good is a cheap bluray player to me? But I've got to pay for one if I want to play any goddamn playstation games anyway. Frankly, that chaps my ass.

I have the feeling a lot of college age gamers have this kind of feeling. If you live in a dorm, you're not going to have an HD TV unless you're a masochist and love doing PITA move-ins/outs. And college age gamers are a good chunk of the gaming populace.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We get many returns on PS3s every single day.

We actually have 12 in our backroom right now, and while we get a few walk-ins asking about the availability of them, nobody is buying. I think we've sold one in the past three weeks.

However, I can almost guarantee we'll sell quite a few of them after tax returns make their rounds.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So it's a) more than b), then. Frankly, I do want a new media center, and depending on how well the PS3 performs on that account I'll probably be happy to buy it. I'm not surprised that a lot of people aren't, though.

I think the inclusion of the Blu-Ray player might have given Sony a pretty hard blow in the console war, but in the high definition video war I think it was a pretty wise move. Even if the PS3 underperforms, nobody can deny there are going to be tens of millions of these things in family homes in a few years time. I imagine that will be a pretty heavy strike against the HD-DVD format.

Sadly I'm unsure if that particular battle was ever worth winning. Time will tell.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bsjezz wrote:
    So it's a) more than b), then. Frankly, I do want a new media center, and depending on how well the PS3 performs on that account I'll probably be happy to buy it. I'm not surprised that a lot of people aren't, though.

I think the inclusion of the Blu-Ray player might have given Sony a pretty hard blow in the console war, but in the high definition video war I think it was a pretty wise move. Even if the PS3 underperforms, nobody can deny there are going to be tens of millions of these things in family homes in a few years time. I imagine that will be a pretty heavy strike against the HD-DVD format.

Sadly I'm unsure if that particular battle was ever worth winning. Time will tell.
    Tens of millions of what, PS3s? While it is too early to claim that SONY lost this round, it is also too early to claim that 'tens of millions' of units will be sold (and how many of these will be repurchased units to replace old, broken ones?).

I can remember when DTS encoded DVDs became available. But at that time most people had DVD players that couldn't play them anyway. It took time before people either wanted or needed to buy a player that could. (Not that DTS is the standard or anything, just a comparison..)

While an included DVD player may have helped sales of the PS2, people already had DVD players or at least libraries of DVDs to play it on. Launching the PS3 at the same (relative) time as Blu-Ray players and discs launched is a major gamble. If SONY picked the wrong horse in this particular race, and given their history it's certainly a possibility, it will cost them a fortune. And become doubtful that 'tens of millions' of PS3s will be purchased.

Santa Claustrophobia on