Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Unreal Development Kit released to everyone

11516182021

Posts

  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If your scripts are part of the package that is set as the "EditorPackage" in one of the ini files, it will re-build them every time they change and you start the editor. If you're using nFringe, you can also force them to build from inside Visual Studio with the basic "Build Solution" menu option.

    Makes sense. I really didn't get too far into that because of my buddy all being like 'Hey dood lets play Spec ops mode!'

    Appreciate it! I'll play around more with the workflow tonight, and mock up a cheesy sword weapon.

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aumni wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If your scripts are part of the package that is set as the "EditorPackage" in one of the ini files, it will re-build them every time they change and you start the editor. If you're using nFringe, you can also force them to build from inside Visual Studio with the basic "Build Solution" menu option.

    Makes sense. I really didn't get too far into that because of my buddy all being like 'Hey dood lets play Spec ops mode!'

    Appreciate it! I'll play around more with the workflow tonight, and mock up a cheesy sword weapon.

    A sword made of cheese? I'm interested in your game now.

  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If your scripts are part of the package that is set as the "EditorPackage" in one of the ini files, it will re-build them every time they change and you start the editor. If you're using nFringe, you can also force them to build from inside Visual Studio with the basic "Build Solution" menu option.

    Makes sense. I really didn't get too far into that because of my buddy all being like 'Hey dood lets play Spec ops mode!'

    Appreciate it! I'll play around more with the workflow tonight, and mock up a cheesy sword weapon.

    A sword made of cheese? I'm interested in your game now.

    ...yes. The steampunk world subsidizes cheese excavation from the moon to construct it's tools and weapons.

    ...

    hrm...

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, nfringe UCC build paths, I can't seem to find a working site on the internet that has this information.

    Also I set it to point to my existing src\mymod\ path as a project but it doesn't see any subfolders like classes, and their files...I hit refresh and get nothing.

    I hate being such a noob.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425
  • LaCabraLaCabra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    An update for you guys on Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro - we have all our shit together and organised. We have this wicked-functional SVN, our amazing velociraptor fully modelled and normalmapped astoundingly well, and it's being textured and animated right now by two highly gifted dudes. Our design doc is rockin' and we update it constantly like you're supposed to do. We have a bot who gets scared and runs away. Two guys are working on our Suspiciometer system and our conversation system, which will tie into each other. Another guy is working on our third person camera and general rules. Another guy is cranking out very nice looking props and I'm all over the mapping and texturing to make the place feel like an office. And then we have this guy making rad music. This motherfucker is off the ground.

    Blog | Impromptu Games | twitter

    totally buy my video game InFlux on Steam or Humble Store or GOG or Amazon!
  • SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wow god damn I be jealous
    I'm still slowly digesting the source and figuring out how all this shit works. but I too, have a team member!

  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ohh yeah? Well, I have...

    shut up :(

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That raptor model is freakin awesome. Just wanted that out there.

  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I should probably update the source sooner or later.

  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does anyone else think it's strange that it takes a while to transfer data into a folder from a SVN repository on the same machine?

  • DeluxeSquishiDeluxeSquishi Registered User
    edited November 2009
    When I heard about this I really wished I had more time to tinker with something like this. My roommate was going through this schpeal of 3D animation and such, so I told him about this. He got pretty excited, but at this time he's in the same boat as me - not enough time.

    I do hope that with something like this being released we'll see a lot of great new stuff out there. Maybe some new fresh ideas in the gaming world :)

    Growing a community focused on Campus Gaming Lifestyle
    www.CampusGamers.com
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, so I figured out player input finally. It's pretty simple, but not entirely straight forward.

    Basically, input keys are defined in a file called UTInput.ini (which is generated from DefaultInput.ini). In that file is a whole slew of various bindings and commands. The commands are fired on the loaded PlayerController class.

    For instance, my (not terribly awesome yet) PlayerController looks like such:
    class RpgToolkitPlayerController extends PlayerController;
    
    exec function StartFire(optional byte FireModeNum) {
    	super.StartFire(FireModeNum);
    	`log("Start fire called");
    }
    
    exec function StopFire(optional byte FireModeNum) {
    	super.StopFire(FireModeNum);
    	`log("Stop fire called");
    }
    
    defaultproperties
    {
    }
    

    StartFire and StopFire correspond basically to left button down, left button up with the default bindings.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, D3: Brainling#1998, NintendoID: Brainling
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've already re-done my bindings. In RpgToolkit (the base for my Rpg engine), left click is the 'Select' command and right click is the 'Interact' command.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, D3: Brainling#1998, NintendoID: Brainling
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, after a solid night of coding, I have my custom game, player controller, camera and pawn base class setup. Tomorrow, time to start making the pawns do something RPG'ish. Make skill rolls or something, I don't know.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, D3: Brainling#1998, NintendoID: Brainling
  • foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here is a quick draft of the Raptor music. It starts off with the happy music and transitions into the scary music. I'm not sure what I think of it.

    http://eyelove.posterous.com/raptor-13

  • LaCabraLaCabra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think it's too tense and frightening and not enough awesome. Needs more hardcore electric guitar.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd remove the strings holding up the back. It creates tension that spoils the airy nature of the song.

    This is also true

    Blog | Impromptu Games | twitter

    totally buy my video game InFlux on Steam or Humble Store or GOG or Amazon!
  • foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gotcha. More awesome, more guitar.

  • LaCabraLaCabra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And less strings

    Blog | Impromptu Games | twitter

    totally buy my video game InFlux on Steam or Humble Store or GOG or Amazon!
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    But guitars have strings

  • foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guitars with snakes for strings.

  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really like the "scary part." I think it'd work just how it is.

    BoCSig.jpg
  • LaCabraLaCabra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think we need it how it is for the "get out of the area before they catch you" sequences but something more rawr for when you get all aggro on a bitch.

    Blog | Impromptu Games | twitter

    totally buy my video game InFlux on Steam or Humble Store or GOG or Amazon!
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    I think we need it how it is for the "get out of the area before they catch you" sequences but something more rawr for when you get all aggro on a bitch.

    Oh yeah. I thought that's what it was.

    BoCSig.jpg
  • HounHoun Jump In Save the WorldRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here is a quick draft of the Raptor music. It starts off with the happy music and transitions into the scary music. I'm not sure what I think of it.

    http://eyelove.posterous.com/raptor-13

    OH MY GOD WHY ARE ALL OF THESE GHOSTS IN THE EXECUTIVE WASHROOM!?!?!?

    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | NNID: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm thinking of setting up, god, dare I say it *gasp* a blog, to blog what I am learning doing a complete game in the UDK. I am learning a ton of little snippets that I think a lot of people would find really useful, but if I don't have some sort of "stream of consciousness", I won't remember them all.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, D3: Brainling#1998, NintendoID: Brainling
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm thinking of setting up, god, dare I say it *gasp* a blog, to blog what I am learning doing a complete game in the UDK. I am learning a ton of little snippets that I think a lot of people would find really useful, but if I don't have some sort of "stream of consciousness", I won't remember them all.

    Yeah, I've actually been contemplating twitter for the same reason. Your programming insight will be tremendously helpful.

    I would subscribe to your RSS feeds, blog and twitter.

    In addition I would subscribe to your youtube.

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425
  • Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User
    edited November 2009
    ok so in an effort to help and learn to develop for my own game idea what can i help do with the raptor game?

    ive got a little bit of experience programming and map making (Quake 3) but am also interested in learning to model or make sounds

    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User
    edited November 2009
    just read a page back, does raptor interview even need help?

    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fort1tude wrote: »
    ok so in an effort to help and learn to develop for my own game idea what can i help do with the raptor game?

    ive got a little bit of experience programming and map making (Quake 3) but am also interested in learning to model or make sounds

    Sound FX would be pretty fantastic. As would helping LC make maps, as long as you're decent at it.

    BoCSig.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aumni wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm thinking of setting up, god, dare I say it *gasp* a blog, to blog what I am learning doing a complete game in the UDK. I am learning a ton of little snippets that I think a lot of people would find really useful, but if I don't have some sort of "stream of consciousness", I won't remember them all.

    Yeah, I've actually been contemplating twitter for the same reason. Your programming insight will be tremendously helpful.

    I would subscribe to your RSS feeds, blog and twitter.

    In addition I would subscribe to your youtube.

    I might do twitter. I already have a twitter account. I need to clear all the fucking bot followers off of it though.

    That said. What's a good place to stick a blog these days? I've never uhh, actually had a blog, so I'm not really up on what's hip in that circle.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, D3: Brainling#1998, NintendoID: Brainling
  • SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm thinking of setting up, god, dare I say it *gasp* a blog, to blog what I am learning doing a complete game in the UDK. I am learning a ton of little snippets that I think a lot of people would find really useful, but if I don't have some sort of "stream of consciousness", I won't remember them all.

    Yeah, I've actually been contemplating twitter for the same reason. Your programming insight will be tremendously helpful.

    I would subscribe to your RSS feeds, blog and twitter.

    In addition I would subscribe to your youtube.

    I might do twitter. I already have a twitter account. I need to clear all the fucking bot followers off of it though.

    That said. What's a good place to stick a blog these days? I've never uhh, actually had a blog, so I'm not really up on what's hip in that circle.

    wordpress.com is a really good one
    I've got some kind of deadly illness so I'm skipping SF ranbat night and coding tonight. For reals. That's how cool I am.

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay, blog created, and I've already got my first little 'gotcha' tip up there.

    http://gnometank.wordpress.com/

    I'll be putting up some stuff about user input later.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, D3: Brainling#1998, NintendoID: Brainling
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Okay, blog created, and I've already got my first little 'gotcha' tip up there.

    http://gnometank.wordpress.com/

    I'll be putting up some stuff about user input later.

    Yay already learned something new!

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ahhh, figured out how to do syntax highlighting on Wordpress, now it looks much better. Have to use the Java syntax highligher, as it's the closet thing to UnrealScript Wordpress has, but it works for the most part.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, D3: Brainling#1998, NintendoID: Brainling
  • SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When did programming get to be so easy and intuitive? Is it just UnrealScript that makes so much sense? <img class=" title=":lol:" class="bbcode_smiley" />

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    UnrealScript makes a lot of sense really. There are a few annoying things about it (like using ` instead of # for pre-processor macros. Really? Was that necessary?), but for the most part it's a well put together language that is very much tailored to making a game.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, D3: Brainling#1998, NintendoID: Brainling
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've decided that my project is quite ambitious and most likely never will be finished if I went in the direction I was going to.

    Now I'm making a much smaller game that I think everyone will enjoy much more.

    It will still use a very similar combat thing to what the original Idea was.

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aumni wrote: »
    I've decided that my project is quite ambitious and most likely never will be finished if I went in the direction I was going to.

    Now I'm making a much smaller game that I think everyone will enjoy much more.

    It will still use a very similar combat thing to what the original Idea was.

    Mine too, but probably because I don't know how to code... or animate... or map...

    Still, I'll pump out a ton of art that I'll never use :P

    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    anyone got a link to that minimal UDK package? I want to chop things down as much as possible so I can get started on some shiat tonight
    The UDK forums are apparently down right now D:

  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, another noob question:

    event Possess(Pawn inPawn, bool bVehicleTransition)
    {
    Super.Possess(inPawn, bVehicleTransition);
    SetBehindView(true);
    }

    Super is referring to the class object, correct? in this case this is located in a demo of someone's MyPlayerController class.

    So it's the same thing as MyPlayerController.Possess?

    I will need to do a lot of reading on this programming stuff. Should just stick to levels :\

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425
Sign In or Register to comment.