As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AvP 2010 - Demo is out, Wangland-Yutani Steam Group now active

• Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    a tarnished license + middling review scores + a troubled demo + newbie unfriendliness + competing for attention with Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, and Bioshock 2

In spite of all that, it still managed to make #4 on Steam's top ten last week, so hopefully it's doing well enough that we'll see Colonial Marines at some point.

Blain on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My Favourite reviewer is Yahtzee, and I'll be looking forward to to his thoughts on the game.

I'll be getting this regardless. Playing an Alien is one of my favourite joys in Videogaming. If Holodecks ever become a reality, that'll be the first thing I'll do.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, when you listen to a Yahtzee review, you just expect every game to suck. So it's not helpful either.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was expecting it to get low review scores. A lot of the gameplay seems to be stuck in the last generation; deliberately so. I mean, that's part of the reason I'm looking forward to it - it doesn't actually play like any of the other FPSs on the current market, for better or worse. I've seen people bitching about the fact that there's no recoil and that the movement feels weird, but, again, they amost likely did this on purpose.

As another example, I don't give two shits about whether or not the AI is bad, as that's not what the game is about. Unless you're marine, your enemies are cannon fodder, and if you're playing a marine, everything should be swarming you.

It's things like level design that are ultimately going to affect my enjoment. I haven't played it, so I don't know how good it is, But the Gamespot review seems to be pointing out flaws of several mechanics which I don't automatically attribute to bad design. And I'm not saying he's wrong for doing that, as it has already been established that not everyone is going to dig this. But I also don't think it's one of those cases (which unfortunately happen far too often) where you can wholly dismiss the game because it got a 5.5 on one site.

Edit:

Wasn't it Tycho who said something to the effect of: "X got a 50 on this site and an 80 on this site. Now we're approaching something that resembles actual criticism". Seems relevant in this situation.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haha, yeah, Yahtzee is pretty terrible as an actual reviewer. Lots and lots of hyperbole and personal opinion. For instance, he just "reviewed" Borderlands last week and didn't even mention the weapon system, likely the single most important piece of the game. He covers the bad points, but that's almost entirely all he covers; he provides almost no comparison with the good things in a game. For someone who hates everything in games so much, it's rather remarkable that he can continue to make himself keep playing them even as part of his job.

Plus Yahtzee covers games anywhere from within days to several months of release, if ever, so he'd probably be a really, really bad choice for someone with a timely review.

Also, who the hell would complain about something like AI in an Aliens game? Things aren't going to be alive long enough to much of anything clever. L4D1/L4D2 has some of the most shit-tastic AI available (charging zombies + ludicrously awful special infected), but I've never heard anyone complaining about that.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So the marine was my top dude, but now I'm getting into the groove with Predator hardcore.

I'm leaping around flinging marines' spines left, right and centre; it is GLORIOUS
    The shoulder cannon is also incredibly overpowered. I was blowing marines and xenomorphs away from across the level.

Dixon on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Keep in mind that Rebellion isn't known as one of the best map makers, AVP1 had some really bad maps at times.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haha, yeah, Yahtzee is pretty terrible as an actual reviewer. Lots and lots of hyperbole and personal opinion. For instance, he just "reviewed" Borderlands last week and didn't even mention the weapon system, likely the single most important piece of the game. He covers the bad points, but that's almost entirely all he covers; he provides almost no comparison with the good things in a game. For someone who hates everything in games so much, it's rather remarkable that he can continue to make himself keep playing them even as part of his job.

Plus Yahtzee covers games anywhere from within days to several months of release, if ever, so he'd probably be a really, really bad choice for someone with a timely review.

He did do a few positive reviews before, and they are some of the least liked ones he does. To put it in his own words: "I do like some of these games, but my videos aren't entertaining if I actually like the games"

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    He did do a few positive reviews before, and they are some of the least liked ones he does. To put it in his own words: "I do like some of these games, but my videos aren't entertaining if I actually like the games"

Oh yeah, I have no doubt that there a number of games he likes that rips on in reviews, I was merely pointing out that Yahtzee is a really bad "reviewer" to look to for something approaching a useful and constructive review of pretty much any game ever.

Personally, I'm looking at this game as something to tide me over until Colonial Marines. It's obviously not going for the same realistic feel and is just trying to replicate the feeling of playing the individual species in a way that's fun. The Marine campaign could be entirely skulking around dark hallways and rooms, jumping at motion tracker bleeps and toasting hordes of Aliens and I'll be perfectly happy with it. I'm also perfectly ok with the Alien campaign being about crawling around murdering things from vents and ceilings and the Pred campaign being about separating and picking off enemies one by one.

Even with the multiplayer, my biggest gripe with the whole thing is that Rebellion should never have used FFA mode for the demo. With proper teams and game modes, I can see the MP being loads of fun even without the Survivor mode.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    lol Yahtzee. If the game has multiplayer he hates it.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh yeah, this game comes out tomorrow, doesn't it

I'll be checking here for impressions

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OHMYGODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD someone brought out the "s" word.

Anyway, Metacritic is taken far too seriously in the gaming world. Now publishers are starting to give bonuses to companies that make "good" games and how is that decided? Via Metacritic score. It's why G4 had Metacritic remove all of their rankings because they felt that their 2/5 is not equivalent to a 40, and that they were actually hurting game developers by giving their honest opinions.

Never mind bonuses, metacritic scores often determine if some of the smaller developer studios get to continue making games at all.

edit: also is there a general opinion out there as to which console to buy the game for if not getting the PC version? I'm leaning towards PS3 but a little worried after the horrible matchmaking in the PS3 demo (yes I know they fixed it but it may have turned off alot of folks)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Well, when you listen to a Yahtzee review, you just expect every game to suck. So it's not helpful either.

Yahtzee is entertaining. I don't watch his reviews to decide whether to buy a game or not, I watch them for laughs. Some folks take him too seriously, which is understandable.

For Serious reviewers, I don't know many by name. But I tend to like Kieron Gillen's work.

So how about them Aliens and Predators.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guy playing Survivor mode with retail copy on JTV, here.

Not many people playing online right now, for obvious reasons.

Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Operator-C wrote: »
    Guy playing Survivor mode with retail copy on JTV, here.

Not many people playing online right now, for obvious reasons.

I think it looks awesome. Can't wait to play it tomorrow.

Urian on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I went around trying to find it at midnight, but no luck.

still cant decide if i'm going to go through with the hunter version tomorrow or not.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I went to the local video game store and they informed me that they had exactly one Hunter Edition for the 360 left for pre-order. And so I have pre-ordered it.

Because I live in Iowa, apparently copies of the game aren't getting here until Wednesday. I am fine with this, if it means I can get the Hunter Edition.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My check doesn't clear for a day or two, so I won't be able to join in yet, but I'll be sure to keep updating the 360 group tag.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, so there is a group? Could you send an invite to Minty D Vision? I won't be able to respond for a week (curently on holiday) but I'm picking up the game ASAP and will start playing it when I get home.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The 360 group tag is "WanglandYutani". Send a friend request to that and I will add everyone as soon as I get home from work tomorrow (about 4 PM PST)

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haha, yeah, Yahtzee is pretty terrible as an actual reviewer.

Yahtzee doesn't do reviews, you silly goose! (:P) He does "comedy." You can't take those videos seriously when he spends half of the Borderlands one criticizing the "fact" that all the enemies wear Jason Vorhees masks, instead of making a pithy but insightful quip about enemy repetition.

Because we all know Diablo 2 didn't have palette swaps or anything.

Nevermind that his entire critiqueing style is made up of speaking in to a microphone as fast as possible.

Anyway, to get back on topic: all I really wanted from AvP 2010 was just a graphically enhanced, slightly more modern in design version of AvP1's Alien and Predator single player and AvP2's Marine campaign, and multiplayer with people actually playing and passable netcode and other such things that generally contribute to fun. And it looks like that's what we're getting, so... yay, I guess?

Still, I'd be interested to see what the Giant Bomb dudes have to say about it. They take themselves far less seriously than most mainstream review sites, and their opinionz generally tend to align with mine.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know, there's an AVP picture pack for free on Live... I don't believe there's a Weyland-Yutani logo in the pack, but if you want to put a Xeno or Predator up as the WanglandYutani gamer pic...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sure, I'll take care of that next time I manage the account.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hah, well it's more of a suggestion rather than an ultimatum.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blain wrote: »
    a tarnished license + middling review scores + a troubled demo + newbie unfriendliness + competing for attention with Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, and Bioshock 2

In spite of all that, it still managed to make #4 on Steam's top ten last week, so hopefully it's doing well enough that we'll see Colonial Marines at some point.

wait, what's this shit? Are they holding colonial marines hostage unless this one does well?

"BUY OUR AVP OR GO TO HELL!!"

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I... doubt it? Two different developers, and in the end two very different games.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    I... doubt it? Two different developers, and in the end two very different games.

Sega owns the license and is publishing both games.

tofu on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Right, fuck.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Gin Soacked BoyGin Soacked Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Eh the games out tomorow for you folk? My steam says 3 days 6 hours. Is that a steam release or something to do with me being in the UK?

Gin Soacked Boy on
    Under the influence

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Eh the games out tomorow for you folk? My steam says 3 days 6 hours. Is that a steam release or something to do with me being in the UK?

The internet tells me it's out the 16th in North America and the 19th elsewhere. That goes for Steam as well. The game uses Steamworks, so even if you got a retail copy before the 19th you probably wouldn't be able to register it, even though it'd be out in NA.

Peewi on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Beezel wrote: »
    Blain wrote: »

wait, what's this shit? Are they holding colonial marines hostage unless this one does well?

Not really. It's more about whether we see it this year or next.

from late last August:
    What I would say is it's unlikely that we'd launch anything within six months [after Aliens vs. Predator], but probably nine months, eight to 12 months possibly. Though we literally are looking at that at the moment and a lot of is going to depend, as well, on how successful AvP is at the box [retail].

I should have said "at some point this year".

Blain on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well I supose its coming out on a Friday so got the weekend to enjoy it.

Gin Soacked Boy on
    Under the influence

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I heard people saying this was really cheap on Amazon

but I don't see a difference in the price there and on Steam

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Amazon PC version is £17.71 and on steam its £25.

Gin Soacked Boy on
    Under the influence

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just see

Amazon: 49.95
    Steam: 49.99

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Note the pound signs. In the UK, it's very cheap on Amazon. Cheaper than Steam.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    fucking brits

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That'll teach you to break off. Also, Zavvi has it for £16.95, free delivery.

Glal on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We may not have cheap AvP on Amazon

But at least we have FREEDOM

Ooooh looks like a nasty burn you got there

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Glal ain't british. Hah!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991