As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Farscape]Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My name is John Crichton, an astronaut. A radiation wave hit and I got shot. through. a wormhole.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The best. Show.

I'm currently in season 3 of my rewatching. I just watched "Different Destinations", the one where they're on the peace memorial planet (aka The Alamo Planet) and get ripped back in time. That one is kind of like a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode, except without the fucking
    reset button. There are actually *gasp* consequences for meddling with the timeline! In a time travel story! Wow!

Even the just decent Farscape episodes are a cut above most SF shows.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So, like, Thread Arise!

I'm just now getting around to watching my DVD's and the end of season 2 seems messed up order wise on the AVD discs. It goes "A Clockwork Nebari" then the finale "Die Me, Dichotomy" on disc 9 then the "Liars, Guns and Money" three parter on the last disc. Is this normal or what? That's just seems...wrong. What if you had watched it on DVD first, you'd have no idea.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:
    So, like, Thread Arise!

I'm just now getting around to watching my DVD's and the end of season 2 seems messed up order wise on the AVD discs. It goes "A Clockwork Nebari" then the finale "Die Me, Dichotomy" on disc 9 then the "Liars, Guns and Money" three parter on the last disc. Is this normal or what? That's just seems...wrong. What if you had watched it on DVD first, you'd have no idea.

I just checked my DVDs (not AVD) and there in the right order, which is a good thing because I have never seen the series before and would have had no idea that the order was swapped.

The last episode I saw was the first season episode that introduced Chiana, but that was a couple of months ago and I have not watched any episodes since.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, it's probably just the original AVD ones that do it. The newer sets probably didn't do it since it's really dumb. They put the other 3 parter in season 2 on 1 disc, so I guess they wanted to do that for the 2nd one too but the '2 eps per disc otherwise' scheme screwed that up.

And you should REALLY keep watching. It gets magnitudes better per end of each season/next season. Just ignore Taking The Stone in season 2, they got the suck out of the way with that episode early in season 2. The original season 2 opener that got pushed back to like 8 sucks too, but since they realized it sucked they can be forgiven. But once you get to the end of season 1 it mainly just keeps raising the bar.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I love this show but seriously, fuck space magic

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Eh, the magic is even at least ok usually. And there's not too much of it in the first place. My biggest problem with the show (minor spoiler if you're still on season 1) is
    how many times Scorpius doesn't die. He's a great villain, but has more lives than a damn cat. I'm really noticing it this time around, bastard should be DEAD like the 2nd time! But it's a minor problem, really.

I need to slow down my re-watch. I've forgotten a lot of the details of every episode so far, so it's like a new show almost. An awesome kickass new show. God damn Scifi for killing it a season early. Nothing but crap (or at least nothing even close in comparison to Farscape) on that network since.

Also: Hell, even the damn opening credits starting in season 3 are better than most shows! :P

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:
    So, like, Thread Arise!

I just checked my DVDs (not AVD) and there in the right order, which is a good thing because I have never seen the series before and would have had no idea that the order was swapped.

The last episode I saw was the first season episode that introduced Chiana, but that was a couple of months ago and I have not watched any episodes since.

To confirm, I just checked my AVD box sets and they do put the 3 parter on disc 2 and have the actual finale on disc 1. If I had to guess it was because they wanted to make the chain of those 3 episodes unbroken on the disc, which is still a stupid reason but is at least a reason I guess.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    My wife and I got into this show recently, and have been watching a couple of episodes a night. We're really enjoying it and it's fun coming home and looking forward to what's going to happen next.

We just finished Season 3 last night and will jump into Season 4 tonight. We've been enjoying it so much that we pre-emptively ordered Peacekeeper Wars so we can skip the raging.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    For some reason I loved the show up to Season 3, but I just couldn't make myself watch through S4. I managed to get around 5 or 6 episodes in and just gave up because there was a feeling of something missing.

• Options
    Thanks @iguanacus, that was my reasoning as well. AVD didn't really think it through, though, clearly.

And good move Iron Weasel. Just try and picture the show ending when you get to the end of season 4. And then having like a 15 (or something, it was poorly kept 'secret' at the time if I recall, but can't recall how soon we learned of it) month wait for The Peacekeeper Wars for like a 18 month wait total.

And now, season 3 episode 1/2 comment. Spoilers within:
    John caved to the whole "We won't act on it" spiel from Aeryn way too easy. Nothing she said really works that way. Acting a fool, allowing someone to sacrifice themselves for you, it even helping at all. You don't get to decide when someone dies for you, they do. You don't have to act like a fool just because you love someone. They're both beyond damn lucky to be breathing, enjoy it all you can. Of course they had Zhaan waiting in the wings to give her argument the facade of merit, but...yeah, it's Aeryn, and things work out, but upon review I have a minor quibble with that flying. But just a minor one, god the show is still so damn good.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I love the hell out of Farscape but I hated D'Argo's kid with a passion. Why. Why. WHY?

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I love the hell out of Farscape but I hated D'Argo's kid with a passion. Why. Why. WHY?

I never really developed strong feelings towards D'Argo's son one way or the other.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Hey does anyone have the Farscape series on Blu Ray? I noticed it was listed on Amazon. I have it on DVD but was wondering if the quality of the blu-ray was good enough to justify upgrading. No blu-ray for peacekeeper wars though, as far as I can tell.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    You guys would love the comics then.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I was dumb enough to buy Farscape on itunes but now when I need a fix I just Netflix it.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Except Netflix doesn't have The Peacekeeper Wars streaming and you NEED that. :P

Just re-watched "Green Eyed Monster" and I don't recall getting how that applied to every character in the story almost minus Stark and Rygel instead of just John/Talyn/Budong. Great title, that. Great episode too.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There was several Muppet events at my library last year when the movie was out. I told anyone that would listen to check out Farscape if they wanted to see some of Henson Co's best work.

I can only imagine what they'll think of the human characters.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Hell, what will they think of Rygel? Even Pilot at times. These are not the kind of characters you associate with muppets. You should find out if they took your advice.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Hey does anyone have the Farscape series on Blu Ray? I noticed it was listed on Amazon. I have it on DVD but was wondering if the quality of the blu-ray was good enough to justify upgrading. No blu-ray for peacekeeper wars though, as far as I can tell.

From the reviews I've read, the audio is an improvement but the video is not; apparently they've lost the original masters so it's the same material as the DVD release.
    bluray.com wrote:
    The series' creators are insisting that the 35mm prints are nowhere to be found, plus the visual effects were created in SD (meaning they'd have to be recreated for a true HD master), so this is an upconversion which unfortunately does not look great a lot of the time. I'd actually rank the 1.33:1 seasons at somewhere between a 2.5 and 3.0 and the fourth season moderately higher at between a 3.0 and 3.5, for an average score of 3.0. The image is frequently fuzzy, with less than appealing color and some very spotty contrast.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Maybe a better question would be if they'll be able to tell the difference.

Yeah, wonder if the librarians will tell me if the discs were check out more?

The show had it's ups and downs, but for me, Rygel, Pilot, et al. were what really made it. Amazing designs, great voice work and movement. Unfortunate that more shows haven't continued the use of p/Muppets.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

From the reviews I've read, the audio is an improvement but the video is not; apparently they've lost the original masters so it's the same material as the DVD release.
    bluray.com wrote:
    The series' creators are insisting that the 35mm prints are nowhere to be found, plus the visual effects were created in SD (meaning they'd have to be recreated for a true HD master), so this is an upconversion which unfortunately does not look great a lot of the time. I'd actually rank the 1.33:1 seasons at somewhere between a 2.5 and 3.0 and the fourth season moderately higher at between a 3.0 and 3.5, for an average score of 3.0. The image is frequently fuzzy, with less than appealing color and some very spotty contrast.

Ah disappointing. Guess I can save some money then.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Handgimp wrote: »

bluray.com wrote:

I've read it's a decent upscale, though. But is an upscale worth 100 dollars? I'll get it eventually for the better audio and compact package, but I may wait for it to come down in price first.

Edit: Comparison screenshots here: http://www.digitalbits.com/articles/farscape/interview.html

And now I'm going to go watch Farscape again, thanks to this thread popping back up. Damn I love [and miss] that show. Curse the studio executives for canceling it due to politics after having renewed it for two more seasons. Curse them. I still haven't gotten over that. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'll NEVER forgive Scifi for killing it early. I'm just vindictive like that. No live viewing of Scifi shows for me, take that! Harvey would be proud... I must not be the only one, either (hopefully?!). Stuff like Warehouse 13 pulls in half or worse the ratings Farscape did.

First ADV screws up the end of season 2, and now even though they've improved the general layout of the DVD in season 3 the 'behind the scenes interviews' contain scenes from episodes ahead of the disc the interview is on. Again, what if you're just now watching it. I hate it and have seen it already...I can kind of see why ADV went bust.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    I've read it's a decent upscale, though. But is an upscale worth 100 dollars? I'll get it eventually for the better audio and compact package, but I may wait for it to come down in price first.

Edit: Comparison screenshots here: http://www.digitalbits.com/articles/farscape/interview.html

And now I'm going to go watch Farscape again, thanks to this thread popping back up. Damn I love [and miss] that show. Curse the studio executives for canceling it due to politics after having renewed it for two more seasons. Curse them. I still haven't gotten over that. :(

I honestly can't see a difference. The lighting is a bit brighter in some pics, I guess, but that's about it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

I honestly can't see a difference. The lighting is a bit brighter in some pics, I guess, but that's about it.

Really? I can definitely see some extra detail in the blu ray shots, but not nearly as much as you would normally see between those formats. Mostly things like clearer stubble or hair, or wrinkles.

I'm a blu ray whore, and a Farscape whore who had the original dvds and then bought the newer slim set when it came out, and I still won't be going for this upgrade.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Been watching this again, about upto the middle of Season 2. Really enjoying it, been a long time since I last saw it.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Same here, but re-watching them and listening to the commentary (especially for The Choice, which sounds like it was recorded before they knew about The Peacekeeper Wars) makes me wish another miracle would occur and it get another mini series, movie, those damn webisodes (that wont really help if doesn't have the same characters, what are they thinking...), anything at all. It's been too damn long and the miracle already occurred with The Peacekeeper Wars, but it'll go on the dream pile anyway.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »

Really? I can definitely see some extra detail in the blu ray shots, but not nearly as much as you would normally see between those formats. Mostly things like clearer stubble or hair, or wrinkles.

I'm a blu ray whore, and a Farscape whore who had the original dvds and then bought the newer slim set when it came out, and I still won't be going for this upgrade.

Put me in the "Ehhh..." camp too. I can look at those shots and say, "Yes, that's better." But not $80 much better as much as I'd like to support it. Those TNG remakes look much more extreme in comparison - whether it's too cleaned up remains to be seen.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    So is it just me or on top of Pilot's voice being different in The Peacekeeper Wars Aeryn's is oddly deeper as well throughout the entire thing?

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

I can definitely see the difference too. Luckily, not having owned it on DVD, it'll be a nice first purchase of the series.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I need to check when I get home tomorrow to see if I have the actual physical dvds or not. I know I have "digital" versions of the show but I can't remember if I have this along with my B5 and SG-1 DVDs.

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So is it just me or on top of Pilot's voice being different in The Peacekeeper Wars Aeryn's is oddly deeper as well throughout the entire thing?

As I recall, the digitization effect they used for altering the voices in the series ended up being destroyed/lost before they did Peacekeeper wars, so that is why those two voices stand out, since they had to come up with something new to do it with.

Durkhanus on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't think they altered Claudia Black's voice on the show...At least, she seems to sound the same during seasons 1-4 and everything else she's ever done including up to today (which is quite a bit of voice work) except in PKW her voice is just oddly deeper it seems.

That would explain Pilot, though.

Xeddicus on
  • Options

Well, I'll be damned: They're actually making a movie apparently. I give it a 90% chance at least to end in tears, but crazier things have happened. I think.

• Options
    Well, I'll be damned: They're actually making a movie apparently. I give it a 90% chance at least to end in tears, but crazier things have happened. I think.

Please please please please please please please don't be a reboot with young trendy actors pointless explosions and no meaningful plot or character development.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Who am I kidding. It's Farscape. I can only go wrong in the worst possible way.

sig.gif
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Who am I kidding. It's Farscape. I can only go wrong in the worst possible way.

Sorry dude
    The original report from back in February suggested the movie would follow John and Aeryn's son who grew up on Earth and now, age 19, heads into space with his parents.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

Please please please please please please please don't be a reboot with young trendy actors pointless explosions and no meaningful plot or character development.

Do you really think browder's ass can pull off leather pants at his age?

They are going to need some new blood.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Give him a little time to hit the gym and I'm sure it'll be OK.

Xbox Live: Jefe414