As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Farscape]Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack

LionLion Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
farscape-s4.jpg

Farscape is the best sci-fi show in existence.

This guy
gallery01_big.jpg

got shot though a wormhole.

Now he lives on a ship
moya1.jpg

a living ship with the rejects of the universe.

300px-Cast_of_Farscape_season_2.jpg

He's so happy to be there!

He is also being chased by an S&M fetishist named Scorpius, seen here in this high school yearbook photo.

fs_char_scorpius.jpg

Doesn't he look friendly?

Farscape is awesome for being technobabble free, having a non-sterilized universe, and MUPPETS!

Pilot_Farscape.jpg

rygel9.jpg

This is a typical scene on Farscape.

Farscape currently has seasons 1-3 on Netflix instant queue. I hear Amazon has the series boxset or something for cheap.

Anyway discuss
Farscape

PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
Lion on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Currently watching the show on Netflix. I just finished episode 5 from season 2 (the one about Moya's previous pilot), and I'm happy to say it's definitely gotten a lot better from season 1.

I'm having trouble regarding Scorpius as a serious threat in that whole S&M getup. I keep thinking "What's the safe word?"

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Scorpius is definitely a threat. He's also one of the best written villains in anything. I hesitate to even call him a villain because there are RPGs where, if you made the choices he did, you'd be the hero.

Lion on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    where's a Scorpius in a hawaiian shirt picture when you need one?!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    where's a Scorpius in a hawaiian shirt picture when you need one?!

200px-Harvey_2.jpg

My girlfriend is watching this for the first time. Moya and Pilot are her favorite characters mainly because she has a thing for living ships. I hadn't seen the show in years and I still haven't seen the Peacekeeper Wars finale movie but man this show is better than I remembered and I liked it when it first on.

Lion on
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Christ, Farscape is seven shades of awesome. I'm not entirely happy with the way the Peacekeeper Wars finale turned out but, damn, as a whole the series is a masterpiece.

Also, watch out for the Skexxis-lookalike aliens! Jim Henson's creations for das vin.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought people were nutty for seriously praising this show with fucking muppets and gimps all over it. But some day when I was bored I decided to have a look, just because of how ridiculous the show looked.

For the first few episodes I kind of just stared at it all, thinking "what the fuck is this".

Then, I came to a realization. I was hooked. Hooked real good. And then I fell in love with the show. It's so silly but so good and funny and great all at the same time.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Lion wrote: »
    Scorpius is definitely a threat. He's also one of the best written villains in anything. I hesitate to even call him a villain because there are RPGs where, if you made the choices he did, you'd be the hero.

I love Scorpius. Easily the best anti-hero ever. He has a goal, and he's going for it, no matter what. If he has to grovel and beg, he'll do it - and then get up and keep going as if nothing happened the second he can. He's utterly ruthless in achieving his goal.

And he has the best shit-eating grin ever. scorpius.png

Echo on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The best episode of Farscape is the one that is told in flashbacks when Crichton and D'argo are hungover and trying to find Jool and annoying monochrome girl.

Can't recall name. Season 3 or 4 I think.

I lul'd, a lot.

Also, Claudia Black's comic timing is wonderful in the first episode.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    [vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYkUQZ0k88E&NR=1"]No, this is the best episode ever.[/vidurl] (linked just in case of spoilers)

Echo on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thread title has been my computer start-up sound over three different systems. :P

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    [vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYkUQZ0k88E&NR=1"]No, this is the best episode ever.[/vidurl] (linked just in case of spoilers)

There's a reason he's Dominar:...:

Lion on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Echo wrote: »

NO U R

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jesus, you picked the best example video possible without using real spoilers.

Seriously, that is Farscape at it's best.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Farscape is one of the best shows ever. They really need to release a bluray version for me to gobble up. One of the best parts of the show is that no one is really a good guy, even Crichton. Some of the best writing in a sci-fi show and some of the best dialogue, too.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember watching this as a teenager thinking it was the most awesome thing ever.

When I saw this thread I figured I liked such a silly show only because I was young and stupid.

So I watched a few of the linked videos.

It is significantly better than I remember.

I'm watching the shit out of this when I get home.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Can I request a judicious use of spoilers in here? I'd like to participate, but like I said, I've only just begun season 2, so I have no idea what's coming up in the next two seasons, and the Peacekeeper Wars.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love this show. One reason is because, as mentioned in the OP, it's not sterilized or sanitized. And this makes sense. They are not travelling in a crafted thing as such, they are inside a living being.

Like every single episode for the first season involved a bodily function, and most of them weren't particularly juvenile.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The show would be more interesting if the ship had weapons.

I need to see shit blown up, yo.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

There are plenty of explosions already.

Plus hot people making out.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There was a chat thread some months back wherein I was informed that I needed to watch Farscape.

So I watched it. And I'm now on the Peacekeeper Wars and seriously considering purchasing the boxsets. So much awesome.

There is an episode in late Season 3 that had me in stitches:

Tamin on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One of my favorite science fiction shows of all time. And I've seen most of 'em.

As mentioned in the OP, for those of you who have Netflix, they have the first three seasons up on Watch Instantly so get going if you haven't seen it.

One of my favorite episodes is "Crackers Don't Matter", where everyone goes nuts. Because Farscape is best when everybody is crazy.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

And then...
    moya had a baby

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I actually just saw Crackers Don't Matter earlier today, and I think it was the first episode I've seen that I just flat-out enjoyed. Very fun.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is such an awesome show. I really need to get around to watching the last bit of the last season, and the Peacekeeper Wars movie.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just begun watching, I'm enjoying quite thoroughly so far.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Farscape! They do not make shows like that anymore. Instead they make shows like Stargate Universe.

Happy thought, Happy thoughts. Think Happy thoughts!

I still can't belive that a show like Farscape got made at all.

In a good way of course.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For the love of god, I hope that Amazon deal holds up 'til I can afford it. I'll be pissed if I miss out on that deal because of holiday broke-ness.

edit: And
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djD6OlK79ZM

Drake on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do you know if that deal includes The Peacekeeper War? I'd guess not, considering the 88 episodes thing.

Also, are the books any good? Amazon is showing a, rather confusingly titled, "Farscape: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning".

Tamin on
  • Options
    RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How needed is The Peacekeeper wars? I bought all the seasons awhile back and am watching 4 right now.

RandomKit on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RandomKit wrote: »
    How needed is The Peacekeeper wars? I bought all the seasons awhile back and am watching 4 right now.

Well if you finish Season 4 and don't think you need any resolution to the final episode, then more power to you.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is it possible to have that much personal power?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know what else rocked about Farscape? The theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utN0Sph_-f0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDEC5UE34_4&feature=related

Such as badass intro. It gets me pumped every time.

"My name is John Crichton, an astronaut."

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Well, I haven't seen the Peacekeeper Wars and watched the season 4 finale when it first aired so...

Lion on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Well, I haven't seen the Peacekeeper Wars and watched the season 4 finale when it first aired so...

Whaaaaaaaat?!

How can you live with yourself knowing you're missing more Farscape?

Dashui on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

Whaaaaaaaat?!

How can you live without the resolution?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's ok. I have it now. I've been rewatching the show anyway so it won't be too much longer before I have some closure.

Lion on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Drake wrote: »

Whaaaaaaaat?!

How can you live with that as an ending to the series?

Sure, the Peacekeeper Wars wasn't all it could have been if the series had been given it's fifth season, but to leave Farscape at the end of the fourth season and know there's a resolution out there...
    You sir are a stronger person then I am.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »

Whaaaaaaaat?!

How can you live with that as an ending to the series?

Sure, the Peacekeeper Wars wasn't all it could have been if the series had been given it's fifth season, but to leave Farscape at the end of the fourth season and know there's a resolution out there...
    You sir are a stronger person then I am.

Little bit of trivia on a fifth season. The show was actually renewed for another season. Then, as the fourth one was finishing up, far too late to change anything, Sci-Fi decided to reverse the renewal. Cocksuckers.

I was furious back then, especially because the creators had apparently planned the fifth season to be the last one. If I remember correctly, wasn't Farscape still fairly popular at the time?

Thank goodness for the mini-series.

I hope the webisodes will start showing up soon. It would be equally awesome if they actually made more Farscape for TV if the webisodes come out and do well. I think I recall Henson hoping for that, and not wanting to give up on the show. That's probably very unlikely, but a man can hope.

Dashui on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I discovered this series back in high school, around the year it was cancelled (2003). I was so furious that it got cancelled, because in the short amount of time I watched it I was totally hooked. After it was cancelled I think then Andromeda came out and I was even more furious because (without watching it) I thought it was ripping off Farscape, since it had a 'special' ship crewed by a rag-tag bunch of misfits. I've hated the Sci-Fi channel for the cancellation of Farscape and continuing to run fucking Andromeda ever since.

However...

Because I was still pissed about Farscape being cancelled and didn't realize that the 'tramp freighter crewed by rag-tag team' was more or less a trope in action, this in turn led me to shun Firefly when it came out on FOX.

That last part I regret.

Havelock on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ah, I enjoyed some farscape. Had a look at Amazon, the box set of the complete series is 60% off on the US version of Amazon. Only 40% off on the Canadian site for some reason.

Corvus on
    :so_raven: