As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A- from 1-Up
    One questionable thing about NBA Jam is the lack of online multiplayer, which became the chief complaint of message board jockeys once it was known (perhaps because they had no complaints about how it looked). Does it suck? Yes. Does it make the game suck? No. While online play in sports games is even more expected than it would be in an FPS, I'll risk sounding like an apologist in this case: It's NBA Jam, for god's sake. One of the bigger reasons that original garnered so much popularity was the sheer fun of four guys crowded around a cabinet, whooping and swearing with every in-game shove, dunk, or three-pointer. That kind of experience will never be obsolete, and you still get it here. Maybe not everyone who loved Jam back in the day can gather some friends for a few friendly indoor games, but still -- and I know it hurts to realize this -- it's good fun for all ages, so local-only play isn't the end of the world.

In terms of looks and basic play, this new Jam is exactly how the original should have been upgraded for this generation, and to have that come from a by-the-book publisher like EA Sports is in itself an accomplishment. But in terms of variety and friendliness, it just needs a little more polish in other aspects to feel like a complete product (and no, I don't just mean a high-def resolution). Nevertheless, it heralds a bold new era in arcade-style sports games. Now, about that football game Midway made...

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yea, remix mode does look rather lame.

I mostly want this for the local co-op, and will probably only put the effort forth in remix mode that is required to unlock characters, as they've mentioned it'll be how several of them are unlocked.

I just want the classic NBA Jam play.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm maybe I should just buy the Wii version so I can play it until there is a verdict on the ps3 version. Hmm or maybe I should display more patience.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmm maybe I should just buy the Wii version so I can play it until there is a verdict on the ps3 version. Hmm or maybe I should display more patience.

If you want to play the game bad enough just grab the Wii version, and if the PS3/360 build ends up having enough bells and whistles for you to want to upgrade, sell, trade-in, goozex, or hell, just give the Wii version away as a Christmas gift.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah that sounds pretty reasonable.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If you can wait a few days, Toys R Us' annual "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" sale starts next week. Though you'll want to be quick about it, stuff gets picked over pretty quickly.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hmmmm then I could get NBA Jam and NBA2K...

I'm just so confused. I haven't bought a basketball game since SNES NBA Live 95, so I can't explain these feelings I'm getting.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hmmmm then I could get NBA Jam and NBA2K...

I'm just so confused. I haven't bought a basketball game since SNES NBA Live 95, so I can't explain these feelings I'm getting.

Hah, yeah I know that feeling. I was tempted to get Madden '11 just for Brees being on the cover but god knows they've thrown so much bullshit into those games now I'd feel like I was playing a MMO compared to my previous football gaming experience.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Last football game I've played: NFL Blitz at my arcade when I was a kid.
    Last basketball game: NBA Hangtime for N64.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I can't get excited over Madden. I just can't. For some reason I can't fight the urge to purchase a basketball game, right now.

When's the Toys R Us sale?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I can't get excited over Madden. I just can't. For some reason I can't fight the urge to purchase a basketball game, right now.

When's the Toys R Us sale?

A Cheap Ass Gamer forumer claims it's next week, so 10/10-10/16

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know how often I (or anyone else) plays NFL Arcade or NHL Arcade online. Those games are ghost towns, because arcade sports are meant to be played with people in the room.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Weren't those games absolute garbage as well?

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    Weren't those games absolute garbage as well?

Not at all. They're both very good. I just think most people are going to play NBA Jam online all of three times and then remember that it's not really built to withstand internet competitiveness, which Madden/NBA2k/NHL all are at this point.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Who's the fifth Republican?

Also hell yes

Sarah Palin needs to be in more games

Particularly games where I can dunk on her face.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    She got cut from...what was that third-person shooter she was supposed to be in?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Palin and Obama were released in the Mercenaries 2 DLC pack, weren't they? I think you couldn't use them in the main game, though, only the DLC missions.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    She got cut from...what was that third-person shooter she was supposed to be in?

Mercs 2 I think.

urahonky on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know how often I (or anyone else) plays NFL Arcade or NHL Arcade online. Those games are ghost towns, because arcade sports are meant to be played with people in the room.

NBA Jam is a little different.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    lol, apparently some people got their hands on NBA Elite 11 and the NBA Jam code insert worked.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/10/05/downloadable-nba-jam-hd-also-exists

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    They never got around to actually printing NBA Elite yet

Love this guy
    No, it was over two weeks out

If they had printed up any discs, they would just issue a Title Update instead.

They don't need the lead time of Reach.

Allforce on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Yawn. I was wrong. Whoops?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    haha nice Allforce. dude is correcting other people on stuff he literally made up.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How about after this post, we start talking about NBA Jam instead of people suddenly acting strangely aggressive towards other people in this thread.

Whole game(?) footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCkIIrBpG7U

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Have we heard a possible release date for the HD versions? I'm considering waiting to see how they turn out, as I'd gladly wait another month or so to pay 10 dollars more for online play and achievements.

I really don't want to wait too long, though, and I have a Wii.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited October 2010
    from the developers on a podcast
    I'll tell you, we're doing everything in our power to get as much on there as possible. I mean, we had online up. It was a really basic online feature set. We're trying to blow that out. And then you get Remix. We're trying to throw it all in there. Right now, I mean, we got this bomb dropped on us just a couple of days ago as well. So, we're shuffling to get everything together, but we got a great team. We got a lot of stuff up and working. We're going to polish it up, and we're gonna get it out there before holidays. And its really up to you. If you want to hang out with your friends and use gesture controls, you got it on the Wii. If you want to go online and you want that HD experience, you go on the PS3/360.

"Before the holidays"

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is that with big heads mode on or something?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I remember from way back that those were standard now.
    At the very least, the heads were bigger than normal to help convey the cartoonish nature of the game.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    from the developers on a podcast
    I'll tell you, we're doing everything in our power to get as much on there as possible. I mean, we had online up. It was a really basic online feature set. We're trying to blow that out. And then you get Remix. We're trying to throw it all in there. Right now, I mean, we got this bomb dropped on us just a couple of days ago as well. So, we're shuffling to get everything together, but we got a great team. We got a lot of stuff up and working. We're going to polish it up, and we're gonna get it out there before holidays. And its really up to you. If you want to hang out with your friends and use gesture controls, you got it on the Wii. If you want to go online and you want that HD experience, you go on the PS3/360.

"Before the holidays"

So it's now pretty much confirmed that the HD versions are like the Wii one but better?

Sweet sweetness

Is it the holidays yet

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    I think I remember from way back that those were standard now.
    At the very least, the heads were bigger than normal to help convey the cartoonish nature of the game.

Really? It was a fun cheat code, but I preferred it off after the novelty wore off.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Put in the code ESPN SN to unlock two ESPN broadcasters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBgTSgTyz1c

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hahahahahah, what?

I love The Herd!

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's awesome. :D

I cannot wait to finally get this.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Looking at that footage -- I have a hard time justifying 50$ on this game. Just go pick up NBA Vol. 2 for the Gamecube for 4$. Wish they'd found a way to work the business here to make it a 20$ title.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How about after this post, we start talking about NBA Jam instead of people suddenly acting strangely aggressive towards other people in this thread.

Whole game(?) footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCkIIrBpG7U

This looks like a great $10 XBLA game.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    This looks like a great $10 XBLA game.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't all the NBA and player licensing cost a pretty penny? Maybe development costs were too high to only charge 10 or 15 bucks. Of course they were going to give it away, soooo....

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Love the Herd. Silly stuff like that is what makes this game so much fun.

Also, I cannot imagine why you wouldn't want to wait for the version with online mode. I am calling it now: PA Jam League: We be Jammin.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So anyone know if there are custom characters and stat points in this one? I don't care the version.

Also does the HD version have local co-op? If no then that's the deal breaker for me.

urahonky on