As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Carpy wrote: »
    Quarles has lost an semblance of sanity and its not if, but when somebody takes him out.

What really sells me on Quarles is that how different he reacts to similar situations to Raylin. They're both having their plans fall apart, yet how they both handle the stress is the polar opposite.

Like with Boyd I think Quarles is a Shadow Archtype for Raylan.

I don't think raylen is handling the stress very well at all. He's becoming an alcoholic and is hungover in a ton of scenes. He was quite obviously drunk when he showed up at the prison to see Boyd at the behest of Ava.

Edit: hell, he drew and fired his weapon, in a bar, while he was drinking, because some guy threatened him. He clearly isn't handling the stress very well.

Raylan's handling his stress better than Quarles is. That guy's
    implied to be raping a person he kidnapped after getting into a long conservation with himself. He's also being an idiot by overtly threatening a U.S. Marshall known for shooting criminals rather than keeping himself under law enforcement's radar.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    It's possible he's the one criminal, anywhere, who hasn't heard about what happened down in Miami.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    It's possible he's the one criminal, anywhere, who hasn't heard about what happened down in Miami.

He thought Raylan was corrupt. I have no doubt Quarles knows he is a dangerous individual, yet he's still poking that bear.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Kidnapping the kid isn't a new reaction to the stress of the situation, it's been stated that he's done it at least twice before. But I wouldn't debate that raylen is handling the stress better than quarrels, only that he's handling it in a polar opposite fashion. Neither of them are handling it very well.

• Options
    Kidnapping the kid isn't a new reaction to the stress of the situation, it's been stated that he's done it at least twice before. But I wouldn't debate that raylen is handling the stress better than quarrels, only that he's handling it in a polar opposite fashion. Neither of them are handling it very well.

Yeah, Raylan is only doing better compared to Quarles because Quarles is a goddamn psycho.

• Options
    Lol, he sets a low bar.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    It's been a real joy to watch Duffy over the last couple of episodes. He and Raylan interacting in the bar was fantastic, for example. The actor is killing it.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

The kidnap/rape/mutilation thing is interesting to me because the nature of those crimes suggest that he has a pretty serious need for a sense of control that he doesn't feel is fulfilled by his daily life. And the further events in Harlan move beyond his control, the more we see of him self-medicating, torturing, raping, etc. I don't know if they intentionally wrote the character that way, but everything about Quarles is coming together in a way that's really, really compelling. He's undoubtedly the best-written sociopath on television since at least Dexter.

Raylan's got his issues, too. He drinks, though I'm not sure if it's supposed to imply addiction. He definitely has been obsessing about Quarles to the point where it seems like it's impacting his actual job at the U.S. Marshall's office (Tim has had a couple of instances where he called Raylan on not actually intending to do whatever tasks Art's given him, and Raylan's passed some tasks off to Tim so he could continue pursuing Quarles). It's not really a polar opposite of Quarles, I wouldn't think, it's more like Raylan burns at a much cooler temperature.

SammyF on
  • Options
    I'm suddenly curious if the repeated Pappy Van Winkle references are a product placement thing from the company that makes it, or if they just got permission to use the name in the show. When I saw just how much that stuff costs (got curious and wanted to try some), and how hard it is to get, I started to suspect the latter. Doesn't seem like they need the advertising.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Fucking amazing episode tonight.
    Looks like you guys were on the money again about Duffy, but I feel like almost anything can happen with these last two episodes. I thought there might be something more than a cameo with Michael Ironside, but it looks like he's just kind of an idiot and won't be in many more episodes.

• Options
    Yeah, was hoping for more out of him as well.

Good stuff tonight. Quarles is completely off the rails.

Well, now he's back on the wrong rails, but...

The stuttering is a nice touch.

This episode was...good, but I don't know about amazing. It felt like the setup for amazing episodes to come, for sure. The confrontations were satisfying. But...I dunno.

Aw, fuck it, it was amazing.

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Well next week looks like it will be crazy.

Season survival chances:
    Boyd: 100% (Boyd is not going anywhere)
    Quarles: 0% (He is dead, the question is just how much a raving lunatic will he be before he goes)
    Limehouse: 85% (he is in danger for the first time this season, but I don't see him going anywhere. He has been used perfectly if they plan to keep him around, but if they kill him then the writers have done a pretty bad job using the character).
    Dickie Bennet: 50% (on the one hand he has a habit of surviving through dumb luck, on the other hand his luck has to run out sooner or later)
    Errol/Limehouse's second: 5% (What kind of idiot watches Dickie's ridiculous attempts at plotting and thinks to himself "I got to get me some of that")
    Wynn Duffy: 50% (could go either way, big question will be whether he survives when Quarles makes his inevitable escape).

• Options
    No, really, why the flying fuck would you partner up with Dickie. On anything.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Quarles is probably dying this season, but he's going down in history as one of the best TV villians ever in my book. Right up there with Gus and Marlo. I kind of wish he would make it into Season 4, but he's just too extreme of a character to sustain the intensity for much longer. Better to go out with a bang than a whimper.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Quarles is probably dying this season, but he's going down in history as one of the best TV villians ever in my book. Right up there with Gus and Marlo. I kind of wish he would make it into Season 4, but he's just too extreme of a character to sustain the intensity for much longer. Better to go out with a bang than a whimper.

At this point Quarles is far too self destructive for there to be any way to keep him around.

• Options
    I shudder to think how evil Quarles must have been back in Detroit. Too be we get him just as he's burning out.

• Options
    I shudder to think how evil Quarles must have been back in Detroit. Too be we get him just as he's burning out.

I would pay cash money to see a prequel Quarles spin-off miniseries about his earlier days.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Someone has to make a video of all the classic Quarles moments. There were at least a few tonight, like
    "What a dick!" after he got blood all over his face from bashing that guys face in.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Especially with Adam arkin.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ha, Art shot someone before Raylan. Also liked how Art walked him through his report of shooting the ceiling of the bar.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    "I have a father."
    "I know, I've met him."
    "Point taken. Continue."

• Options
    edited March 2012

Three legged race?

You're right, though, and especially about this particular enterprise as it's apparently being suggested. Bernard, Limehouse's lackey, is providing all the knowledge about where the money is and how to get at it. Boyd Crowder is providing all the muscle and expertise to get the job done. Unless their team has some desperate need for a squirrely guy with a bad attitude and a worse haircut who can sit around and do nothing, I don't see how Dickie brings anything to the table. So it's technically his money? What the fuck does that matter to people who are in the business of robbing other criminals already?

Dickie doesn't fill out any role on the team -- except possibly "fall guy."

SammyF on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    A great part of this show is creating characters smart enough to think things through because that means all directions are open. For example, the Dickie situation could be:

* It's straight up and Limehouse's right-hand man is moving on a coup.
    * It's Limehouse's plan to have his right-hand man do all this to set up Dickie.
    * It's Limehouse's plan to have his right-hand man do all this AND the guy is going to turn the fake-coup into reality.

All three of those would make total sense. And there's not even a hint of what way it will go.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    A great part of this show is creating characters smart enough to think things through because that means all directions are open. For example, the Dickie situation could be:

* It's Limehouse's plan to have his right-hand man do all this to set up Dickie.
    * It's Limehouse's plan to have his right-hand man do all this AND the guy is going to turn the fake-coup into reality.

All three of those would make total sense. And there's not even a hint of what way it will go.

Oh man, that would be fantastic. Limehouse had been trying to make overtures to Quarles in order to get a bigger stake in the game. A ruse to eliminate Dickie Bennett from sniffing around about his money while also eliminating the Crowder gang as competition for Quarles would be a master stroke.

Except at this point, even if Limehouse doesn't know that Quarles is chained to a bed in a whore's trailer (and that's totally right in the wheelhouse of his intelligence network), he still ought to know that Quarles has lost too many hands to come away a winner. Maybe he'd like to do business with Duffy?

You're right, by the way. This show has outstanding, intelligent and complex characters. You can talk about them like they're actual people.

• Options
    As always the banter between raylen and art was fantastic. Quarrels is impeccable as the unhinged criminal. I was rather disappointed with the bond villain-esque setup for quarrels escape. I wouldn't put it past the writers to have a solid out, but I wish they hadn't gone there in the first place.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, Quarrels should have died at the end of the episode when Boyd came to his senses after Duffy's sound advice. If he gets away it'll be lame. And they don't find his hidden rig and take it? Maybe he has a spare? Or worse, will get it back when he gets away!

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    am I the only one that thought
    Michael Ironside talking about how nobody could out-stealth him in his younger days
    was hilarious?

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Michael Ironside talking about how nobody could out-stealth him in his younger days
    was hilarious?

Holy shit, I did not put that together until you just brought that up. Totally forgot who he voiced in games.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options

Millions of dollars can be a good motivator. Dickie can be expendable once they get to the cash, as well.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »

it has to be #2
    i dont see him turning on limehouse like that
    even for 3 mil
    the dude allowed limehouse to stick his hand in lye or some shit to square a past fuckup, dude doesn't get more loyal than that
    this has to be another one of his or limehouse's schemes to set up dickie and knock boyd out of the game for good

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I don't think this is the dude who put his hand in the lye.

Assuming for a moment that Earl is serious about the coup, pairing up with Dickie is just to be able to give Dickie to Boyd Crowder afterwards.

But I don't think he's serious personally.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    was hilarious?

Oh yeah, that was such a fantastic inside joke to the gamer audience.

• Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    Was that perfect piece of Crystal Meth a nod to Breaking Bad or am I imagining things?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I don't think this is the dude who put his hand in the lye.

Lots of Limehouse's men have that lye-burn on their hands. Justified really confused me all season by having Limehouse's first scene be about that kid who I believe is never important again--he's just somebody new to explain the whole Fight Club lye-burn thing to, so we understand the loyalties of Limehouse's second in command, Earl, who does have that burn (you can see it prominently on his hand in this episode when he goes to open the car door for Dickie) and has been around all season.

Earl was also the guy earlier in the season who put Boyd and Quarles at odds in the hopes of getting them to wipe out each other. Limehouse was forced to play out that plan once it had been set in motion, which is why subsequent episodes show him helping both Boyd and Quarles fight each other (especially in the conflict over the sheriff's position). Now we're about to get into the endgame here and it's very exciting.

Justified has been on fire this whole season, basically, both in terms of performances and in terms of just perfect, crackling scenes. So much better even than last season, which was a big step up thematically but suffered from some plotting issues.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, this season is by far the best, as if the first two weren't good enough.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this impending showdown is shaping up to apocalyptic proportion.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Realized last night that the names of the dead dealers that Johnny gives to Boyd sounded like "Parker and Longbaugh". Which is either a nod here or here but most likely the first one.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    The way these writers begin go tighten the weave as the season's end approaches is just an exercise in skill and awesome. They're just so damned good at doing it and making it look not only organic but easy. Last night was a particularly good example of tight plotting AND they introduced more characters. Insane. This show really should get more attention.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    F/X is right there with AMC in terms of putting out some of the best drama, imo. Justified has been incredible, and The Shield gets them permanent goodwill from me. Sons of Anarchy is pretty good, Damages was really good for a while though I felt it dropped off, and American Horror Story was pretty cool as well. I wish Terriers had gotten better advertisements, because the only reason I watched season 1 of that was I saw it was created by Shawn Ryan, and it was actually pretty good.

Justified is just fantastic. I felt like in season 1 Boyd was going to be killed off or something, but I'm glad he's become a mainstay in the cast, because Walton Goggins is a fantastic tv actor. Boyd is an even better character than Shane, imo.

• Options
    Terriers was an exceptionally good show with great characters that was given a symbolic but woefully nondescript title, advertised horribly with ubiquitous images of a small, violently angry dog that wasn't actually part of the program, and then doomed to fail by the network, which stuck it in the lineup after syndicated episodes of Two and a Half Men as if they wanted to guarantee that the Private Eye drama wouldn't retain any of the audience from its situational comedy lead in.

And it had such a great theme song.
    There was a period after The Shield and Rescue Me where FX seemed to forget how to nurture its original programming. That's where AMC has held an edge over FX, but they're getting back in the grove. I'm glad that they figured it out in time to retain Justified, because the show's ratings weren't living up to its production quality for a while there. I'm just sad that they couldn't find the magic in time to save Terriers because that show would be a fantastic lead in for Justified.

This discussion has been closed.