As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    iguanacus wrote:
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The Judge wrote: »
    And now it looks like others are picking up on how reckless he's getting. In the promo for the next week's episode, it looks like he's getting framed for Gary's murder. I'm thinking that bullet he tossed to Wynn Duffy (despite being a totally awesome moment) is really going to come back and bite him.

That is an excellent theory. If that scene pops in the 'previously on Justified' for next week, I'd say you win a gold star.
    Yeah, that sounds worryingly credible.

Ballistics doesn't work like that, he didn't fire that one so I wouldn't be identifiable as from his gun. Maybe if they track the type of ammo to the Marshal's office, but that's way too broad.

You are correct. Fingerprints on the shell casing is more what I was thinking.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    PeteRoseHairPeteRoseHair Registered User regular

That's exactly what I was thinking. Duffy and Quarles have a bullet from a marshall's gun, with his prints on it, and can twist that any number of incriminating ways.
    Not to mention, the last time anyone saw Gary (as far as we know) was when Tim and Raylan were watching over him. Raylan and Gary went out, and Raylan came back alone. Tim even saw him come back alone and asked something like "Do I even want to know?" So in addition to getting Raylan sidetracked, this could further strain the Tim/Raylan friendship. Which sucks. I love Tim.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

That's exactly what I was thinking. Duffy and Quarles have a bullet from a marshall's gun, with his prints on it, and can twist that any number of incriminating ways.
    Not to mention, the last time anyone saw Gary (as far as we know) was when Tim and Raylan were watching over him. Raylan and Gary went out, and Raylan came back alone. Tim even saw him come back alone and asked something like "Do I even want to know?" So in addition to getting Raylan sidetracked, this could further strain the Tim/Raylan friendship. Which sucks. I love Tim.

Tim is my favorite character in the show.

Edit: I just want to hear him say "This isn't where I left my car." once.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
  • Options
    PAPPY VAN WINKLE FOR EVERYONE

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Awesome episode. You guys were right on the money as to guessing where it was going, too.

Give McDonough an emmy nomination.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    boss' son is a bit too cartoonish
    that he's able to be in charge of anything stretches the imagination even for nepotism

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    "The SS Quarles is going down, and you better get swimming clear of the wreckage if you don't want the whirlpool to suck you down."

"I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters."

Dammit, Justified, you have the best fucking dialog.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

Holy shit I never noticed that was him.

And even if you've mentioned it before, I totally forgot.
    Awesome episode. You guys were right on the money as to guessing where it was going, too.

I hadn't read the thread, and honestly didn't see it coming until they said they had fingerprints back. But at that point it was, like, super-obvious where it was going.

Also, the foreshadowing regarding that gun rig isn't even subtle anymore. Though at this point maybe they're just fucking with us, and it won't jam on him when he goes up against Givens (or somebody else), leading to his doom.

Overall a good episode, though it felt like the drama wrapped up a bit too quickly and (relatively) neatly for my taste. Of course, the premise was a bit far-fetched to begin with...I don't think the FBI would have dragged Raylan in on something that thin (a known crook just happens to out an officer on a line that he almost certainly knows is bugged?), but instead I'd have expected them to actually, you know, investigate him for a bit. Try and get some actual evidence of wrongdoing before they ask him if he's dirty. The whole thing was a bit...silly.

• Options
    It's a shame that The Walking Dead gets so much more attention than this show.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    And Winona is all "Don't track me down this time.". I hope Raylen shows up and goes "I didn't. I tracked my kid down."

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mcdermott wrote: »

Holy shit I never noticed that was him.

And even if you've mentioned it before, I totally forgot.

I hadn't read the thread, and honestly didn't see it coming until they said they had fingerprints back. But at that point it was, like, super-obvious where it was going.

Also, the foreshadowing regarding that gun rig isn't even subtle anymore. Though at this point maybe they're just fucking with us, and it won't jam on him when he goes up against Givens (or somebody else), leading to his doom.

Overall a good episode, though it felt like the drama wrapped up a bit too quickly and (relatively) neatly for my taste. Of course, the premise was a bit far-fetched to begin with...I don't think the FBI would have dragged Raylan in on something that thin (a known crook just happens to out an officer on a line that he almost certainly knows is bugged?), but instead I'd have expected them to actually, you know, investigate him for a bit. Try and get some actual evidence of wrongdoing before they ask him if he's dirty. The whole thing was a bit...silly.

The last few episodes have simply been building up the conflict between Quarles & Raylan. Each time it escalates higher. This was merely the latest battle, that's why it had to end in a single episode.
    For a second I thought Quarles was going to overdose himself in the car. Thankfully it didn't happen. It would be to similar to Mags suicide.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

What I want to see is for him to get the drop on Raylan with his rig, but for Raylan to exploit his obvious emotional fuckups via dialogue, leading Wynn to take out Quarles.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:

I believe there was a throwaway line towards the end of the episode that Quarles' gang has a guy in the FBI. Not sure if it's the investigator himself but it may be why the investigation was launched.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options

What I want to see is for him to get the drop on Raylan with his rig, but for Raylan to exploit his obvious emotional fuckups via dialogue, leading Wynn to take out Quarles.

Wynn having a hand in taking out Quarles wasn't something I had considered. That's actually good and I prefer that to Quarles getting the drop on Raylan and just having the rig fail.

The boss's son was told by Quarles to specifically mention Raylan/Boyd in an area he knew to be FBI compromised, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the Feds know the son knows. I agree that the wrap-up seemed quick, but Vasquez has proven to 'understand' how Raylan does things and would be naturally inclined to push back against the FBI a little once they started tap dancing around the source. Plus, Barkley insulting Art (in character, yes, but holy hell you could not have done anything stupider) meant an immediate circling of the wagons in the local office.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Wynn having a hand in taking out Quarles wasn't something I had considered. That's actually good and I prefer that to Quarles getting the drop on Raylan and just having the rig fail.

Rig failure due to another "tablecloth" moment by Raylan would sit well with me.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Rig failure due to another "tablecloth" moment by Raylan would sit well with me.

My guess is Raylan dodges the bullet then shoots him. Relying on a single bullet to kill an enemy in a firefight is a serious flaw. Quarles tactic relies on ambushing his opponents, who usually aren't that self aware like Raylan is or prepared with counter-measures to kill him they instant they have an advantage.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

That's absolutely what I'm hoping for. He's been impressed by Quarles' violence and foresight, but now that Quarles is coming undone, he might see the chance to make a move of his own. Maybe even elevate his status in the Dixie mafia?

Also, I absolutely loved that the call back to "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch women's tennis." from earlier this season.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Got to say the sound design has been awesome this season.

I loved how the detective reacted to Raylan's one-liner, and Duffy's mythbuster point. Natural reactions so good.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Got to say the sound design has been awesome this season.

I loved how the detective reacted to Raylan's one-liner, and Duffy's mythbuster point. Natural reactions so good.

I really liked how they admitted that they cribbed the "next one's coming faster" line from Johnny Carson. Does knowing that it's not actually a completely original line make it any less awesome? No -- it actually makes it more natural.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

My guess is Raylan dodges the bullet then shoots him. Relying on a single bullet to kill an enemy in a firefight is a serious flaw. Quarles tactic relies on ambushing his opponents, who usually aren't that self aware like Raylan is or prepared with counter-measures to kill him they instant they have an advantage.

Quarles has more than one round in his rig. He shot Duffey's boss and the secretary with out reloading.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm pretty sure that if Quarles is going down, he's going down in epic fashion. The oxy will probably be his downfall, but it'll also make him even more insane.

Such a great character.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    See I'm worried about the show getting renewed for Season 4.

How can they possibly top this? I mean, they already pulled off a miracle by topping Season 2 - are there any more souls left to sell?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    See I'm worried about the show getting renewed for Season 4.

How can they possibly top this? I mean, they already pulled off a miracle by topping Season 2 - are there any more souls left to sell?

Complete the Deadwood love-in and have Ian McShane as the season long bad guy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't want to have a happiness-based aneurysm.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I don't want to have a happiness-based aneurysm.

I do! Give me that.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    What really makes Justified such a good show is it's villians. It has the best bad guys I've ever seen in a show, even better than The Shield. I can't imagine anything topping Quarles, but then again I didn't think Mags was going to be topped, so who knows.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Word of warning if you want to stay completely spoiler-free: steer clear of casting news for Frank Darabont's new show LA Noir because, like The Walking Dead, the casting of one of the leads is probably spoiling the fate of a character for this show.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    So many good scenes and moments tonight. When will people learn to never - EVER - try and screw over a bomb maker?

And even with all the good stuff, the one and only scene from next week was even better. "Why wait?" Truer words, man . . .

The Judge on
  • Options
    Pretty good episode tonight. Next week is going to be amazing.

• Options
    So many good scenes and moments tonight. When will people learn to never - EVER - try and screw over a bomb maker?

And even with all the good stuff, the one and only scene from next week was even better. "Why wait?" Truer words, man . . .
    The person who screwed over the bomb maker was a bomb maker himself.

• Options

Sure, but you would think as a fellow bomber, he'd be aware of what screwjobs could be waiting for him. :rotate:

Well, then again, Tanner never seemed like the brightest bulb of all time.

• Options
    Quarles is good, but a little too cartoon characterish for me. For me, the personality frequently overpowers the interesting stuff they've done to flesh out the character in terms of the predilection for torturing male prostitutes to death, his drug habit, his family and his shaky standing with the Detroit outfit.

I think Limehouse is getting pretty good, though. I thought the scene between Quarles and Limehouse was nicely done, what with Quarles taking that persona Limehouse always puts on to appear disarming and then turning it around in an insulting way to throw Limehouse off his game. Ava continues to solidify her place as my wife's new favorite character now that Mags is gone. Which is going to be pretty funny once Ava starts running a whorehouse.

• Options

Sure, but you would think as a fellow bomber, he'd be aware of what screwjobs could be waiting for him. :rotate:

That's very true. lol

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular

That's very true. lol

Still be alive if he'd remembered he had pockets.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Does it make me a bad person if I have no sympathy for his mother?

• Options

That's very true. lol

Still be alive if he'd remembered he had pockets.
    Had the bomb maker not killed him the sheriff would have.

• Options
    SammyF wrote: »

No, I didn't really feel sympathetic toward her, either.

I was slightly confused on why Raylan would've been waiting there. Visiting to let her know what happened (and to also prove his point that he wasn't kidding/lying when they met previously), totally. Just unsure what made him camp.

• Options
    SammyF wrote: »

No, I didn't really feel sympathetic toward her, either.

I was slightly confused on why Raylan would've been waiting there. Visiting to let her know what happened (and to also prove his point that he wasn't kidding/lying when they met previously), totally. Just unsure what made him camp.

Waiting to see who'd come calling, if anyone. Remember, he was up shit creek without the Tanner lead, so why not play it all the way out?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I love how haggard raylen has started to look this season. It really sells a guy who is just getting worn down by everything and only has work and the bottle to turn to.

This discussion has been closed.