As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:
    Because it's TV. -I- would be checking his sleeves and I'm not versed in doing so to make sure I don't get killed...

That's being genre savvy. Not all people have this skill. That said, being viewers on a tv show gives us insights characters on the show miss.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:
    Because it's TV. -I- would be checking his sleeves and I'm not versed in doing so to make sure I don't get killed...

That's being genre savvy. Not all people have this skill. That said, being viewers on a tv show gives us insights characters on the show miss.

Well, I mean, even if you can't (generally) hide a gun up your sleeve, you can sure as hell have a knife up there.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Despite how integral that gun is to his character, honestly i dont think quarles was even packing.
    I mean the man is smart and i dont think he'd be stupid enough to go to a meeting like that where he'd be expecting to get frisked, packing heat.
    The effectiveness of that gun hinges on the surprise and i dont think he's ready to let Boyd know he has that thing.
    If that was the case, they should have just had the thug rub his arms too to prove the fact.

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I dunno, they've made it a point to have him frisked and use it already. But we'll never know! Until maybe we do!

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Winona is probably the only weak link in the entire show for me. Amazing eye candy, just insanely hot, but not much else to offer. Ava used to be just as boring, but she's improved drastically ever since getting with Boyd.

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Limehouse has been kind of pointless so far this season. All he did this episode is comment from the peanut gallery on the Quarles/Boyd confrontation. It feels like there going with a slow burn for Limehouse as opposed to Quarles who has been much more prevalent so far.

I am guessing that either Quarles is killed by Boyd or Raylan in the next couple of episodes (say by episode 8 or 9) and then Limehouse steps forward or Quarles is taken out at the end of the season and Limehouse continues on to next season. Its the only way that the handling of Limehouse makes any kind of narrative sense.

Every time I see Dewey he makes me think of Turk from Daredevil.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Limehouse has been kind of pointless so far this season. All he did this episode is comment from the peanut gallery on the Quarles/Boyd confrontation. It feels like there going with a slow burn for Limehouse as opposed to Quarles who has been much more prevalent so far.

Right now he's a narrative device to keep Dickie Bennett on as a character while establishing another line of conflict between Dickie and Boyd Crowder. Part of me also suspects that they realized that they needed more strong minority characters to broaden the show's appeal demographically.
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Winona is probably the only weak link in the entire show for me. Amazing eye candy, just insanely hot, but not much else to offer. Ava used to be just as boring, but she's improved drastically ever since getting with Boyd.

I was saying basically the same thing before the season started -- Winona's character is a vapid, helpless black hole of personality compared to the strength and complexity of Mags Bennett, and I was worried that with Mags gone, there wouldn't be a strong female character to appeal to my liberal, feminist wife. When Ava hit Devil upside the head with that cast iron skillet, I could tell who the writers had tapped to take over that responsibility on the program.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited February 2012

I am guessing that either Quarles is killed by Boyd or Raylan in the next couple of episodes (say by episode 8 or 9) and then Limehouse steps forward or Quarles is taken out at the end of the season and Limehouse continues on to next season. Its the only way that the handling of Limehouse makes any kind of narrative sense.

Every time I see Dewey he makes me think of Turk from Daredevil.

There's no way Quarles will die before the season finale, if even that. He's the most exciting character in the show right now. He's even better than Mags IMO.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote:
    There's no way Quarles will die before the season finale, if even that. He's the most exciting character in the show right now. He's even better than Mags IMO.

He's just too far over the line into cartoonish for me to say something like that. He's a fun character but stacked up against Mags who very much wasn't he seems a bit forced on us. Of course, his role in the series, which Boyd just clearly articulated for us, should be a little bit unreal and forced.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote:

He's just too far over the line into cartoonish for me to say something like that. He's a fun character but stacked up against Mags who very much wasn't he seems a bit forced on us. Of course, his role in the series, which Boyd just clearly articulated for us, should be a little bit unreal and forced.

Exactly. He's a fish out of water...he's not supposed to fit in. At all. Which lets them get just a bit cartoony with him.

Caught up tonight, been gone on training for a couple weeks. Crank 3 was amusing though a bit weak. Boyd's run-in with Quarles was amazing, though.

Also, can I get a big fuck yeah to Raylan running the guard over with his car? Twice? That was awesome.

• Options
    Holy shit that was a lot of violence. :P

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Two and a half short scenes? It was kinda explicit I guess, but not "a lot". I expected more in that department going by the title of the episode. It was still good, don't get me wrong, just a slightly misleading title. Setting things up to get even better.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Very good episode, shit is about to go down. Every single scene Quarles is in remains to be spellbinding.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    It may be just me, but Boyd setting up a distribution spot in one of the only properties in Harlan that Raylan would absolutely go postal over is a touch out of character.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Judge wrote:
    It may be just me, but Boyd setting up a distribution spot in one of the only properties in Harlan that Raylan would absolutely go postal over is a touch out of character.

Maybe. I could see there being some virtues to setting up shop there, but they should probably have established some of those reasons better.

• Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SammyF wrote: »
    The Judge wrote:

Maybe. I could see there being some virtues to setting up shop there, but they should probably have established some of those reasons better.

I think the explanation is that if something bad happens, Raylan is going to get involved and do more damage to Boyd's rivals than to Boyd's gang. It's such a sweet setup for Boyd that Quarles assumes that Raylan is on the take.

I mean, the fallout for Boyd is that he got yelled at (and probably mostly just because Raylan was having a bad day).
    The fallout for the hitters is that one of them got killed and their oxy clinic got busted, along with a ton of product confiscated.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    fshavlak wrote: »
    The Judge wrote:

I think the explanation is that if something bad happens, Raylan is going to get involved and do more damage to Boyd's rivals than to Boyd's gang. It's such a sweet setup for Boyd that Quarles assumes that Raylan is on the take.

I mean, the fallout for Boyd is that he got yelled at (and probably mostly just because Raylan was having a bad day).
    The fallout for the hitters is that one of them got killed and their oxy clinic got busted, along with a ton of product confiscated.

Haven't seen the episode yet but what you're describing could be Boyd's "protection plan". Get Raylan involved then aim him at a third party which needs to be put down. Low risk, high reward.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I wasn't thinking it was that deep necessarily -- the benefit in my mind is that if the property is in Helen's name and her estate is still in probate, it's hard to find a property owner to hold legally responsible for the distribution of a controlled substance out of that property. It goes back to the gang's dispute earlier in the season about holding onto all of the Bennett's weed on Ava's property, which is why I don't think it was necessarily out of character for Boyd to do that.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Raylan-as-homing-missile is possible . . . I'm just not getting the sense that Boyd has thought that aspect out (or, as Sammy noted, it's been very weakly explained). Hitters are the only reason Raylan had another target to aim for. If he'd simply found out about Oxy getting routed out of the house before it was raided, Boyd's lost a location, product, people, and he's got Raylan pissed at him.

Getting into prison? THAT was long-range tactical thinking. This felt like "hell, Arlo's got property we can utilize". Plus, if Limehouse's Lt. doesn't leak the info, the attack doesn't happen and Raylan's aim isn't directed elsewhere. Just felt a little weird.

• Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    Raylan-as-homing-missile is possible . . . I'm just not getting the sense that Boyd has thought that aspect out (or, as Sammy noted, it's been very weakly explained). Hitters are the only reason Raylan had another target to aim for. If he'd simply found out about Oxy getting routed out of the house before it was raided, Boyd's lost a location, product, people, and he's got Raylan pissed at him.

Getting into prison? THAT was long-range tactical thinking. This felt like "hell, Arlo's got property we can utilize". Plus, if Limehouse's Lt. doesn't leak the info, the attack doesn't happen and Raylan's aim isn't directed elsewhere. Just felt a little weird.

Also, even if Limehouse's guy does leak the info and the attack does go down, if Limehouse himself doesn't point Boyd and Ava to the prostitute who witnessed the attack, Boyd doesn't have anything to give Raylan when he comes knocking, and he's consequently the poor bastard left holding the buck. That sort of plan revolves around too many events which would be outside of Boyd's direct control to assume that it's a good one.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Arlo being crazy kind of struck me as coming out of left field. Earlier in the season he was a functioning member of Boyd's gang and now he's running around in his boxers talking to Helen and daring Raylen to run off and tattle on him to her. It's a rather sudden shift.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    If you remember when we're introduced to Arlo and Helen, Helen talks about how he's been diagnosed with a few things and how she had trouble making sure he always took his medication. Something along those lines.

Of course, there's always the chance he's just messing with Raylan too.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    If you remember when we're introduced to Arlo and Helen, Helen talks about how he's been diagnosed with a few things and how she had trouble making sure he always took his medication. Something along those lines.

Great catch, I'd forgotten about that, but it rings a bell.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Great catch, I'd forgotten about that, but it rings a bell.

I'd forgotten about that too. Makes more sense then.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Fucking hell, I got a new job and I am busy Tuesdays, which means I've missed the last three episodes of Justified.

And FX says they're not streaming it at all this year, not even on a delay.

And they never rerun it during the day or anything, not that I could probably catch it then either since I'm working 60 hours a week.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Fucking hell, I got a new job and I am busy Tuesdays, which means I've missed the last three episodes of Justified.

And they never rerun it during the day or anything, not that I could probably catch it then either since I'm working 60 hours a week.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Get DVR.

• Options
    And congrats on the new job.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Comcast has the new episodes up the following day for free with their On Demand service. The Zune marketplace has them too.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, congrats!

Hopefully it was't a pharmacy in Florida.

Really enjoying this season more than last, though Mags was a fantastic character. Nice to see Raylen getting back in action.

Duffy is one busy guy - heading an international spy agency in Miami and then during winter months, running drugs in Kentucky. Wonder if he's using his spy network to help with the drug runs.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    poor evidence locker guy :( i hope he enjoys his vacation cause he's probably gonna end up going back to harlan in a body bag :(

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    poor evidence locker guy :( i hope he enjoys his vacation cause he's probably gonna end up going back to harlan in a body bag :(

More likely the pieces will fit nicely in those lockers.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Man, I was already loving this episode, and then they put Bobby in it?

So good!

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Aw, that sucks.

I have lost count of Deadwood alumni rolling in and out (Beaver! Tobolowsky!), but it would be great for the entire cast to cycle through by the end of whatever season they finish on. Especially if John Hawkes shows up.

We've just passed the mid-way point. Six episodes to go.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

You can buy it on Amazon's streaming video for like $12/season. I decided it was worth paying that, since I don't have tv.

But my sense of value is deprecated.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    PeteRoseHairPeteRoseHair Registered User regular
    Angry Raylan Givens is probably my favorite character on TV right now. He has sort of an unhinged edge to him that's only growing as the season goes on. His speech to Boyd about keeping the Givens name out of his business was amazing.
    And now it looks like others are picking up on how reckless he's getting. In the promo for the next week's episode, it looks like he's getting framed for Gary's murder. I'm thinking that bullet he tossed to Wynn Duffy (despite being a totally awesome moment) is really going to come back and bite him.

Regardless, this season has been fantastic so far, and I can't wait for next Tuesday. The second half of Season 2 was insanely good, and it's looking like this season might be better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And now it looks like others are picking up on how reckless he's getting. In the promo for the next week's episode, it looks like he's getting framed for Gary's murder. I'm thinking that bullet he tossed to Wynn Duffy (despite being a totally awesome moment) is really going to come back and bite him.

That is an excellent theory. If that scene pops in the 'previously on Justified' for next week, I'd say you win a gold star.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Buck-Compton-in-class-A-copy1-239x300.jpg

I'm kind of amazed how much Neal McDonough's build and bone structure mirrored Buck Compton.

That is an excellent theory. If that scene pops in the 'previously on Justified' for next week, I'd say you win a gold star.

Yeah, I think you won this week.

SammyF on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

Yeah, that sounds worryingly credible.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »

Yeah, that sounds worryingly credible.

Ballistics doesn't work like that, he didn't fire that one so I wouldn't be identifiable as from his gun. Maybe if they track the type of ammo to the Marshal's office, but that's way too broad.

This discussion has been closed.