As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Oh I fully expect his dissolution to lead to Quarles' imminent triumph, only subverted by Duffy turning based on enlightened self-interest.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Seems like Quarles is getting into a lot more than he anticipated - thought he could just throw some money around and they'd all be fawning over him.

He is Raylen; both just want to do their job and come home to a nice family, but they keep getting pulled deeper in by their own devils. Both have vices/addictions trying to take the edge off, though Raylen seems to more in denial.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Quarles and Raylan, I realized today, are also alike in that they're both almost constantly pissed-off by having to deal with other people.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The Judge wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »
    Does it make me a bad person if I have no sympathy for his mother?

No, I didn't really feel sympathetic toward her, either.

I was slightly confused on why Raylan would've been waiting there. Visiting to let her know what happened (and to also prove his point that he wasn't kidding/lying when they met previously), totally. Just unsure what made him camp.

Tanner's mother got a bad deal. Her son totally deserved what he got, she may have brought it on herself, but didn't deserve it like he did from what we saw. Was a good scene.

As was "That would upset me.".

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

That scene was powerful. I think Limehouse came down on Raylen's side, though he won't actually commit himself until forced.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    is campaign rigger guy supposed incompetent as all hell?
    I mean i get that boyd is a people person and has a silver tongue but c'mon
    for a supposed professional at this, that moderator dude shoulda been able to shut him down, unless limehouse wants him to make the race 'interesting' or something

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    "That would upset me" was amazing.
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    is campaign rigger guy supposed incompetent as all hell?
    I mean i get that boyd is a people person and has a silver tongue but c'mon
    for a supposed professional at this, that moderator dude shoulda been able to shut him down, unless limehouse wants him to make the race 'interesting' or something
    There's another possibility.

Limehouse is running circles around Quarles by making himself seem to be Quarles' best way in, then setting him up with deadweight to make sure he loses and leaves. Left to himself, Quarles might win, but carefully steered into "accidental" missteps, Limehouse could make sure Quarles ends up having to leave.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Two interviews that may be of some interest. One with Goggins and one with Williamson and they look to be taped just before this most recent ep. Both do a decent job of answering without spoiling anything, but if you really, REALLY want to be pure, you might want to skip 'em.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Does it make me a bad person if I have no sympathy for his mother?

No, I didn't really feel sympathetic toward her, either.

I was slightly confused on why Raylan would've been waiting there. Visiting to let her know what happened (and to also prove his point that he wasn't kidding/lying when they met previously), totally. Just unsure what made him camp.

Tanner's mother got a bad deal. Her son totally deserved what he got, she may have brought it on herself, but didn't deserve it like he did from what we saw. Was a good scene.

It's tragic, but it's not really a bad deal. A Deputy U.S. Marshall warned her that her son was in a lot of trouble and would be better off in custody, and she laughed in his face. Within 24 hours, she was planning a closed casket funeral for him.

That was the advertised price.

RE: What made Raylan camp at the Dodd residence, the entire episode was basically a long-shot fishing expedition that still somehow managed to pan out, right?
    Based on information provided by Boyd Crowder, Raylan used a fake bomb technician and the suggestion of (non-existent) evidence to implant in the sheriff a motive to find and eliminate Tanner as a loose end, so Raylan could use the sheriff to bird-dog Tanner for him. There's extreme risk associated with that move because the sheriff might have ended up being successful; however, as Art pointed out at the beginning of the episode, Raylan had nothing on Quarles that he could prove in court, and Tanner was his only lead, so he made the high risk play.

With that in mind, camping out at the mother's make sense because it's literally the only play Raylan has left to produce evidence against Quarles, or at least develop a new lead.

SammyF on
  • Options
    We didn't get enough background on her to know, I'm just assuming she A)Did everything she could to keep her stupid ass son out of the life he chose, but despite failing B)loved her son and didn't want him in jail based on what was for all she knew was a lie. She said she thought he was a lie, even.

If we had got more on her I would be "Kill the old bitch too for good measure." possibly, but what we got was an old lady with a TV and bag of cash in place of her son. Not a good trade for her since even as much of a murdering fuck Tanner was he loved his mother and probably treated her well. His dying is fine. His damn life and then dying tearing her apart is well, tragic, yeah.

Raylan needs to shoot some bad people to cheer me up now.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Yes.

And that was totally a SONY remote. 'make. believe.your.son.isn't.a.shithole' I guess.

• Options
    We didn't get enough background on her to know, I'm just assuming she A)Did everything she could to keep her stupid ass son out of the life he chose, but despite failing B)loved her son and didn't want him in jail based on what was for all she knew was a lie. She said she thought he was a lie, even.

If we had got more on her I would be "Kill the old bitch too for good measure." possibly, but what we got was an old lady with a TV and bag of cash in place of her son. Not a good trade for her since even as much of a murdering fuck Tanner was he loved his mother and probably treated her well. His dying is fine. His damn life and then dying tearing her apart is well, tragic, yeah.

Meh, she went shooting her mouth of pretty hard while deriding Raylan for using what she characterized as a line she's been hearing since he was ten years old. This clearly wasn't her first trip to the rodeo. She should take a few minutes to think about how she failed her son as a mother and then stick her head in a fucking oven.

• Options
    I think that's the point of why it's tragic. It's sort of an inverted 'boy who cried wolf'. She'd heard that line used so many times when it wasn't true, that when it was true she didn't pay attention and do what she would've done if it were her first time hearing it, and now her son is gone.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The premise of a "boy who cried wolf" scenario presupposes that in prior instances, there was no wolf. I wouldn't buy that premise in the case of Tanner Dodd; we don't know what his life was like before this season, but when we were introduced to him in the premier, he was involved in a shootout at an oxy clinic and later was thrown from a moving vehicle during a firefight that claimed the life of his accomplice. Whether it's Crowder or Givens or Limehouse or Quarles or the sheriff, Tanner's found a way to make a brand new enemy in every single episode he's appeared in, and I'm going to guess that he's had wolves at his door for a while now. His mother got complacent with the thought of all those wolves circling because none of them had gotten around to tearing her son apart yet, but she failed to consider that she only gets to be wrong about that once.

That's her tragic flaw in my opinion: her son had been in trouble for so long without having it claim his life that she became accustomed to it, and her complacency led her to behave belligerently towards the only person in Harlan who wasn't trying to put him in the ground.

SammyF on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I felt bad for her.

That's all I really have to say about that.

Quarles being a dick was glorious. For about a half a second I thought McDonough was just doing a shitty job acting, then it came through that he was doing a great job acting like an asshole doing a terrible job acting on purpose to be a dick.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The premise of a "boy who cried wolf" scenario presupposes that in prior instances, there was no wolf. I wouldn't buy that premise in the case of Tanner Dodd; we don't know what his life was like before this season, but when we were introduced to him in the premier, he was involved in a shootout at an oxy clinic and later was thrown from a moving vehicle during a firefight that claimed the life of his accomplice. Whether it's Crowder or Givens or Limehouse or Quarles or the sheriff, Tanner's found a way to make a brand new enemy in every single episode he's appeared in, and I'm going to guess that he's had wolves at his door for a while now. His mother got complacent with the thought of all those wolves circling because none of them had gotten around to tearing her son apart yet, but she failed to consider that she only gets to be wrong about that once.

That's her tragic flaw in my opinion: her son had been in trouble for so long without having it claim his life that she became accustomed to it, and her complacency led her to behave belligerently towards the only person in Harlan who wasn't trying to put him in the ground.

Her son had a case of To Dumb To Live. The second he started messing with Raylan's business he was not long for this world.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Holy shit Quarles is losing his mind.

Give Neal McDonough the emmy.

• Options
    Indeed he is. Which is why:
    The bartender chick is so dead. Raylan sealed her fate when he said he was starting to like her. Saw the end coming too. Why does no one pull the damn trigger.

• Options
    Indeed he is. Which is why:
    The bartender chick is so dead. Raylan sealed her fate when he said he was starting to like her. Saw the end coming too. Why does no one pull the damn trigger.

No kidding. The man just tried to get a rise using friends and family, so let's just paint him a new target. There are about 150 brighter moves I can think of.

I've got episode 12 in my dead pool, how 'bout everyone else?

• Options
    Yeah, okay, Quarles' speech to Donovan and Duffy's steady "hoooooooooooooooooooooooooly shit" reaction? Beautiful.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I love how Quarles has turned Duffy, who was the biggest psychopath of S1 and S2, into a frightened lackey. That's how big of a badass he is.

Also, the bar scene was so intense.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    hahah dicky bennet has no idea what he's walking out into

no he's not derek jeter black he's wesley snipes black

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Quarles origin has made me feel sorry for him. No wonder he's so fucked up. That said, I was expected that to be a feint to fool the kid into lowering his weapon so he'd shoot him.

• Options
    edited March 2012

That scene killed me.

Last night was probably my favorite episode this season outside of Thick As Mud.

The Judge on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    hahah dicky bennet has no idea what he's walking out into

At this point jail is to Dicky Bennet what Arkham Asylum is to the joker. I would be more annoyed at that, but I like Jeremy Davies enough to look the other way. We'll see if Dicky Bennet's luck holds out with Boyd, Raylan, and Limehouse all having good reason to want him dead.

Quarles has lost an semblance of sanity and its not if, but when somebody takes him out.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options

That scene killed me.

Last night was probably my favorite episode this season outside of Thick As Mud.

This season has been incredible. I thought it couldn't get any better than season 2 but they outdid themselves.

• Options
    Quarles has lost an semblance of sanity and its not if, but when somebody takes him out.

What really sells me on Quarles is that how different he reacts to similar situations to Raylin. They're both having their plans fall apart, yet how they both handle the stress is the polar opposite.

Like with Boyd I think Quarles is a Shadow Archtype for Raylan.

• Options
    Oh, and we also learned to be wary of the elderly when they order two milkshakes.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh, and we also learned to be wary of the elderly when they order two milkshakes.

she should totally hang out with hector salamanca

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    This episode ran the gamut from hilarious to disturbing. That final scene with quarrels is probably he most disturbing scene of the series.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    This episode ran the gamut from hilarious to disturbing. That final scene with quarrels is probably he most disturbing scene of the series.

That scene warrants an emmy by itself.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »

That scene warrants an emmy by itself.

Absolutely.

• Options
    I am so glad I randomly bought S1E1 off the PSN right before S2 started; ended up burning through all of S1 the weekend before S2 started and I have yet to be disappointed.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    First Duffy cites the Mythbusters in an episode, now Quarles talks using his hand puppet during a quickdraw showdown. This show really knows how to crack a tense moment open. Sooooo much more humorous than it has any right to be.

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Duffy in the bar, realizing what he's gotten himself into, solid gold.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yotes wrote: »
    Duffy in the bar, realizing what he's gotten himself into, solid gold.

I could take or leave Duffy as a character for most of the series, but he just shifted into a whole 'nother gear I didn't even know about.

• Options
    Duffy taking Quarles out is a total foregone conclusion at this point.

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Duffy will try, that's for sure. This season is setting up to end about as amicably and peacefully as the first one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

What really sells me on Quarles is that how different he reacts to similar situations to Raylin. They're both having their plans fall apart, yet how they both handle the stress is the polar opposite.

Like with Boyd I think Quarles is a Shadow Archtype for Raylan.

I don't think raylen is handling the stress very well at all. He's becoming an alcoholic and is hungover in a ton of scenes. He was quite obviously drunk when he showed up at the prison to see Boyd at the behest of Ava.

Edit: hell, he drew and fired his weapon, in a bar, while he was drinking, because some guy threatened him. He clearly isn't handling the stress very well.

Carpy on
  • Options
    Are you kidding? Raylen called Quarles bluff, that was the best way to respond. Also the most badass way.

This discussion has been closed.