As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Musicians Thread!!

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    On it.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So yeah.

Last night I got invited to do merch for The Casualties for THE ENTIRETY OF WARPED TOUR.

I'd make $350 a week with no real expense to me.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So yeah.

Last night I got invited to do merch for The Casualties for THE ENTIRETY OF WARPED TOUR.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. How the fuck did you pull this one off?

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So yeah.

One of the dudes I work with at the venue I work at just up and asked me last night when I was down there for a show

he's managing their whole tour

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So yeah.

One of the dudes I work with at the venue I work at just up and asked me last night when I was down there for a show

Holy shit. Congrats dude! That should be one hell of a good time.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So yeah.

Holy shit. Congrats dude! That should be one hell of a good time.
    It's not 100% yet but I'll know soon

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    zombies that's pretty rad dude

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'd have to quit old navy for the summer.

But fuck them

• Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They give you 350 a fucking week to work merch at warped? Jesus Christ!

(Although it is fucking hot)

Dsmart on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zombies, do it while you're still young.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh I am doing it.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Uuuugh

I just got back from a performance. My class (Men's Chorale) and the Women's Chorale did a show at campus. I assume it was enjoyable for people. Personally, I Don't ever want to do it again. I am so tired.

And fuck tuxedos. I will be perfectly fine if I never have to wear one again, for any reason.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man I love getting to put on my tux. I need an actual suit jacket and some colorful shirts and ties for less formal performances.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My favorite performances are slightly less formal, small group/solo performances. Because then I get to wear my fancy ties and fun shirts with vests or jackets. And fun necktie ties.

Khavall on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone have any tips for getting over massive stage fright?

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Drink.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is there something wrong with me that makes me really like the look of this bass?
    687573.jpg

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Drink.

this is the best advice

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drink.

this is the best advice

Yeah man, I have not even a little bit of stage fright, but I always have the most fun if I have a couple drinks before I get up there to loosen me up a bit.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm definitely going to keep that in mind, a friend and I are thinking about getting some stuff together to do a show somewhere in town at some point.

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wombat!! wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with me that makes me really like the look of this bass?
    687573.jpg

Nothing wrong with you, that bass is just a little bit stunning

Today I fixed my echo pedal (analogue tape dealie, watkins copicat, though it is dusty throughout and noisier than I'd like) as well as tuning to open G for the first time and loving it, buying a slide and playing really loud electric guitar until I'm sweaty and gross for the first time in far too long

It has been a really excellent day

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Put another one of our tunes up on youtube:

Children of Disarray

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh I went and saw lupe fiasco last night for a bit.

dude knows how to put on a show

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Well I hope so, he's probably got a pretty hefty budget

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I dunno about that, but he seems like the kind of guy who's more likely to sell a show on stage presence than set pieces.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    eh, maybe. I've yet to see any hip hop or r&b stage show that impressed me. They're always the same kind of boring one dude with a microphone doing whatever, maybe with some of his friends on stage and if you're lucky, background dancers.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, it sounds like you're taking issue with a larger part of the form, so I'm not sure any individual rap performer is going to impress you in that regard, but it sounds like you're not familiar with specific artists and their capacities for stage performance. You might equate Lupe Fiasco to the style you just described, but I think that owes largely to rap being pretty heavily focused on the vocal performance. DJing is prevalent owing to the tradition of it being a cheaper option than putting a band together, but plenty of rap groups that have access to resources have embraced live band backing, and there are at least several notable rap bands like the Roots and the Coup. I would say that R&B for the most part has maintained its tradition of full bands for decades and that pop performers copping R&B vocals over recorded tracks are still in the minority.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, it sounds like you're taking issue with a larger part of the form, so I'm not sure any individual rap performer is going to impress you in that regard, but it sounds like you're not familiar with specific artists and their capacities for stage performance. You might equate Lupe Fiasco to the style you just described, but I think that owes largely to rap being pretty heavily focused on the vocal performance. DJing is prevalent owing to the tradition of it being a cheaper option than putting a band together, but plenty of rap groups that have access to resources have embraced live band backing, and there are at least several notable rap bands like the Roots and the Coup. I would say that R&B for the most part has maintained its tradition of full bands for decades and that pop performers copping R&B vocals over recorded tracks are still in the minority.

Yeah that's true. When I see a rap performer with a live band behind him I think that's pretty rad, since most of the time the recorded versions are all just produced anyway. Having a live band shows a cool respect for the art of true live performance. Even if it's someone not that great like Li'l Wayne or something, if they have a live band I've got to give them props.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, I understand your preference for live instruments, but I'm still gonna :| at the phrase "respect for the art of true live performance." Anyway, it's not what you like, and that's cool; I just bristle at criticisms that suggest the form is failing goals that don't apply rather than on its own terms.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, I understand your preference for live instruments, but I'm still gonna :| at the phrase "respect for the art of true live performance." Anyway, it's not what you like, and that's cool; I just bristle at criticisms that suggest the form is failing goals that don't apply rather than on its own terms.

Well I guess I mean it seems like the guys who just get up on an empty stage by themselves or maybe with a could "hype-men" always seem to be sort of phoning it in and not really caring about what's happening. So when I see performers in the same genre as guys like that putting for the time and effort to have a live band with them, that's pretty rad.

also, here's another new tune of ours, boooooooosh

Solitude

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    HAHAHA ME ROCKIN' IN TACOMA TO 8 PEOPLE!
    24351_903500755188_10712206_49348713_5909736_n.jpg

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tonkka wrote: »

Is that Hell's Kitchen? I've never played there. But I have played to 7 people or less so many times. The worst is when no one is even standing up :\

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wombat!! wrote: »
    I was hanging out in one of my friends rooms the other day, and I commented that I had never played a bow instrument before. His room mate piped up and said that I could play his violin.

So I pick it up, make a couple terrible sounds, and as I start looking it over I say, "This violin seems really, really nice. How much was it?"

He responds, "Oh, I dunno, eight or nine thousand. It's from the 1600s."

So I played almost a ten thousand dollar violin with an $800 bow from the 1600s.

I proceeded it hand it back to him as if it were a delicate newborn child with the most stunned look on my face.

Yeah Violins are stupid expensive.

This one girl that was in my high school Music Theory class (waste of a period) had a violin that was like 8 thousand dollars and a bow that was made from horse-hair or something, another $500.

That chunk of cut up wood is worth more than the computer I'm building and my dream guitar rig combined.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's only that expensive because it's made of wood.

Wood is way more costly to use than artificial materials.

...nevermind that many guitars are much bigger, and cost much less. I don't entirely understand it, myself.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited May 2010
    well it's all in the precision and the craftsmanship. Guitars are much larger and easier to make.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    All I'm saying is I dunno if this is the right place for this but NPR has the entirety of the new Black Keys album up on their site it is awesome

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126607501&sc=fb&cc=fp

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's not really the wrong place, but you might find a better response in a different type of music thread.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tonkka wrote: »

Is that Hell's Kitchen? I've never played there. But I have played to 7 people or less so many times. The worst is when no one is even standing up :\

Yeah it's Hell's Kitchen. It's like the El Corazon of Tacoma, but the security guys aren't total buttface assmongers.

At least the 8 people there were friends. 4 of them being members of one of the other bands we played with.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT MONO?!

THIS BAND IS SO GOOD. HOLY SHIT

• Options
    edited May 2010