As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey lady! You call him Doctah Jones!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    if you don't like short round you're a racist

racists

azn pride

it's ok not to like willie, though. gentlemen may prefer blondes, but that's because they're both boring

my blonde will kick your lady's ass
    and yours

look, your lady has worked hard to not be a boring blonde.

regardless, I don't date a ladies

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    It belongs in a museum!

obligatory

so do you.

such a great start to that movie

Sticks on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i wanted to be an archeologist for a while but then i realized it's actually sort of boring with all the digging and labeling and stuff

Quoth on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    i think miriam is one of my all-time favourite female leads

Her intro is one of my favorite movie scenes ever

yeah. definitely.

i love that she doesn't just wait around for indy to save her. and she's pretty charming in crystal skull.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    DMAC wrote: »
    There were moments in Crystal Skull that made me grin from ear to ear but they were few and far between. The fight breaking out between the jocks and the greasers and the motorcycle chase (right up until the bit in the library) were pretty great.

Part of me is stupid enough to hope for a 5th movie but I don't know. I would only be excited if I knew Lucas had no input on the process. I really don't think he understands what made the movies great in the first place.

The first three Indy movies are some of my favorites of all time though. I would put Raiders at the top of my desert island movie list.

The fight between the jocks and the greasers is a good idea but it is too short and serves no real purpose

There should have been more "50's" stuff in that film

That was what I loved about it. Just the idea that a jocks/greasers fight could erupt at the drop of a hat in the 50s.

More 50s stuff could have been cool. It was pretty much limited to the opening with the kids out driving around in the desert, the atomic bomb testing, and the jocks/greasers bit.

DMAC on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The best part about Crystal Skull was Charles Widmore and Janitor as FBI agents

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

yeah. definitely.

i love that she doesn't just wait around for indy to save her. and she's pretty charming in crystal skull.

I don't know, she seemed a bit too fawning and "That's my Indy!" in Crystal Skull. Seemed like she should have been busting his balls more than she did.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    There were moments in Crystal Skull that made me grin from ear to ear but they were few and far between. The fight breaking out between the jocks and the greasers and the motorcycle chase (right up until the bit in the library) were pretty great.

Part of me is stupid enough to hope for a 5th movie but I don't know. I would only be excited if I knew Lucas had no input on the process. I really don't think he understands what made the movies great in the first place.

The first three Indy movies are some of my favorites of all time though. I would put Raiders at the top of my desert island movie list.

The fight between the jocks and the greasers is a good idea but it is too short and serves no real purpose

There should have been more "50's" stuff in that film

That was what I loved about it. Just the idea that a jocks/greasers fight could erupt at the drop of a hat in the 50s.

More 50s stuff could have been cool. It was pretty much limited to the opening with the kids out driving around in the desert, the atomic bomb testing, and the jocks/greasers bit.

The jocks/greasers fight was the best part about the movie.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited May 2010

yeah. definitely.

I don't know, she seemed a bit too fawning and "That's my Indy!" in Crystal Skull. Seemed like she should have been busting his balls more than she did.

this is my opinion, yes

they made her way less awesome in the last movie

Quoth on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    My only problem with Temple of Doom is the complete lack of Marcus Brody.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Quoth wrote: »

yeah. definitely.

this is my opinion, yes

they made her way less awesome in the last movie

As far as I can tell she didn't really do anything except be a plot point

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The best part about Crystal Skull was Charles Widmore and Janitor as FBI agents

I completely forgot about that

Usagi on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if you don't like short round you're a racist

racists

azn pride

it's ok not to like willie, though. gentlemen may prefer blondes, but that's because they're both boring

my blonde will kick your lady's ass
    and yours

look, your lady has worked hard to not be a boring blonde.

regardless, I don't date a ladies

But you do date lady-boys, go figure

Hunter on
  • Options
    Kool-Aid GuyKool-Aid Guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Crystal Skull seems a little out of place with the other movies, 1-3 all dealt with mythological stuff from major religions, then 4 brings in all this wacky alien stuff. The basic story had some potential, like Heart of Darkness with aliens, but it just never came together. Maybe they should have fought Quetzalcotl at the end, or the aliens have the form of Mayan gods? I dunno, it would have been cool if they kept the whole religious mythology thing going.

Also I was watching this Korean war movie called the Steel Helmet the other day that had an asian sidekick kid called Short Round, nicknamed after some sort of bullet type. I'm guessing that's where Lucas and Spielberg got the name?

Kool-Aid Guy on
    OH YEEEAAAAHHH
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Crystal Skull seems a little out of place with the other movies, 1-3 all dealt with mythological stuff from major religions, then 4 brings in all this wacky alien stuff. The basic story had some potential, like Heart of Darkness with aliens, but it just never came together. Maybe they should have fought Quetzalcotl at the end, or the aliens have the form of Mayan gods? I dunno, it would have been cool if they kept the whole religious mythology thing going.

Also I was watching this Korean war movie called the Steel Helmet the other day that had an asian sidekick kid called Short Round, nicknamed after some sort of bullet type. I'm guessing that's where Lucas and Spielberg got the name?

A short round is a cartridge where the bullet is seated too deeply, which usually happens when not enough powder is put in. This makes the round weak (less explosive charge), and it will not travel as far. This then leads to short rounds being known as accidental friendly fire. Originally because said short round traveled less distance due to being fucked up and instead of going over your line of troops into the enemy it lands on your guys. Also used if someone miscalculates a firing solution or gives the wrong targeting coordinates and you just stupidly shoot your own people.

Hunter on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    the_more_you_know2.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    XyyzXyyz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    i wanted to be an archeologist for a while but then i realized it's actually sort of boring with all the digging and labeling and stuff

Yeeeesh, you're right on the money there.

I studied archaeology for a while at university level, and I can tell you now that's it's one of the most boring, thankless, underpaid jobs on the face of the earth. It's been a horrible field to work in since the 1930s.

Xyyz on
  • Options
    Kool-Aid GuyKool-Aid Guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Humanity needs to start building more ridiculous monuments or tombs filled with booby traps, so future archeologists have something fun to do

Kool-Aid Guy on
    OH YEEEAAAAHHH
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Humanity needs to start building more ridiculous monuments or tombs filled with booby traps, so future archeologists have something fun to do

That's why I was so upset watching Geraldo go into Al Capone's vault. No giant rock, no poison darts, and no saw blades flying at his neck. Such a let down.

Hunter on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    maybe all the tombs are filled with deathtraps and archaeologists keep it a secret to protect the public and also because they are humble

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    maybe all the tombs are filled with deathtraps and archaeologists keep it a secret to protect the public and also because they are humble

If the National Treasure movies have taught me anything, it's that archaeologists are not humble.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The ancient amerians believed this book depository held a magic bullet that could curve the shot

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have eleven boners for the indiana jones soundtracks

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

basically they attempted to marry the popular pulp fiction of the two different time periods in which the movies take place

and not very succesfully

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    FAQ wrote: »

basically they attempted to marry the popular pulp fiction of the two different time periods in which the movies take place

and not very succesfully

this

i didn't get the alien hate but it certainly wasn't done as well as it could have been

Quoth on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey guys did I mention I'm about to get my degree in archaeology and I'm kinda kicking myself

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    are you kicking yourself because you're not sure that what it takes to outwit ancient deathtraps and fight nazis

is it because you don't know how to ride a horse or throw a punch
    is it because you are incapable of wooing all of the ladies

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I can do all of those things!

I'm kicking myself because the actual work calls for none of that

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe when we finally travel to mars, you can go dig up Martian tombs

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fishman wrote: »
    Let's forget Crystal Skull and talk about how boss Fate of Atlantis is instead.

Yes. God, yes.

You don't look at all well, Dr. Jones!

Exploring our collections can be dangerous, Mr. uh, what was your name again?

Smith.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    Maybe when we finally travel to mars, you can go dig up Martian tombs

Oh man do you know how many people would freak out if we found Martian tombs?

And they all have laser poison dart traps!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For die-hard fans and anyone interested in writing:

Transcript of Lucas, Spielberg and Kasden brainstorming Raiders

And here is a good summary if you don't want to read 126 pages.

We almost watched the adventures of Indiana Smith.

Bhow on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Get your ass to Mars

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yes. God, yes.

Smith.

I had no idea until years later that there were actually three different games within that game. I always chose the "brains" way because that's what those adventure games were all about.

Fate of Atlantis is one of my top 10 games.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yes. God, yes.

Smith.

I had no idea until years later that there were actually three different games within that game. I always chose the "brains" way because that's what those adventure games were all about.

Fate of Atlantis is one of my top 10 games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W84GMIxOJrw

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I picked up a used copy of Staff of Kings for the Wii primarily for the bonus Fate of Atlantis. I got to the lava "chessboard" segment right before the finale and the game froze up. Unfortunately I had just saved and the save seemed to be part of the problem. Still, the Wii is a pretty good format for those adventure games. I'd like to see a disc with a bunch of the Lucasarts games.

Staff of Kings (what I played of it anyway) has its "I'm Indiana Jones! :D" moments but it's also chock full of stupid unintuitive puzzles and glitchy controls.

DMAC on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am blessed, I cannot hate movies.

There has been literally 3 movies I have hated to watch over the course of my life, and even those, I can watch, but some things just tick me off a lot.

I love all 4 Indian Jones Movies equally. Except maybe the vine swinging in Crystal Skull, disliked that.

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What are those 3 movies you've hated

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm pretty good at avoiding movies I hate

last I hated was Hannibal, possibly Body of Lies

FAQ on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can think of only one movie that I truly hate watching, and I don't even hate the whole thing.

The last 10-15 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey make me want to hurt myself. Hate, hate, hate it.

Good sci-fi film ruined by some asshole playing with color filters for five minutes.

John Matrix on