Options

Hey lady! You call him Doctah Jones!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just saying

Action movie logic has a habit of ignoring those kind of details when it's convenient.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Just saying

Action movie logic has a habit of ignoring those kind of details when it's convenient.

This argument is always such a stupid fall-back! There are laws and established knowns throughout every story! Saying that it is okay to fib for the purpose of action negates the entire purpose of setting up background!

Here, I'll offer a solution. They could still have their big explosion and Harrison in a fridge, but just do not have the fridge fly a mile high and a mile away. So, it clearly stood the blast. let it stay there, or just fly out the house a little. Feeling outrageous? let it bounce down the street!

That is 100 times more acceptable than having him launched and land injury free the way he did. You know why?

A movie audience, for the most part, does not know the effects of a nuclear blast. Maybe a lead lined and thick fridge could protect from that radiation and heat!

But a movie audience does know that the fridge could be equated to a good sturdy car. It could roll real hard and fast and bounce down the street. Indy would be a bit worse for wear, but he could possibly walk it off. They will also be pretty god damned certain that if that same car is cannoned through the air over an arch of a mile, it will be crushed and its inhabitants will be a 5-o-clock shadowed pile of mush

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    and that's when someone comes in to say

whoa dude why you such a fusser it's just a movie talk on innernet

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am a part of a small club who likes Temple of Doom better than the others. Mock us as you are wont, but it is written that one day we shall inherit the earth.

GRMike on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    futore i am with you

goatmon shut your face

Raneados on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I never understood why people seriously think that Temple Of Doom is inferior to the other two (and yeah, f Crystal Skull, I was so depressed in the theatre).

KALI MA

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Crystal Skull stopped being just serial pulp action and turned into modern bombastically over-the-top fantastical action sequence film.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm with Futore on this one too

I don't seem to say that very often

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    People are people.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Futore wrote: »
    Just saying

This argument is always such a stupid fall-back! There are laws and established knowns throughout every story! Saying that it is okay to fib for the purpose of action negates the entire purpose of setting up background!

Didn't say it was okay, just that it happens all the time in action movies, and that getting angry over it is dumb.

Goatmon on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just saying

Didn't say it was okay, just that it happens all the time in action movies, and that getting angry over it is dumb.

show another example where a thoroughly used concept in a well-established series of movies

such as PHYSICS

was completely shit on and it was somehow okay

seriously "it happens sometimes so don't get mad" is still a full on stupid argument

Raneados on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    who's talking shit about physics I will fuck them up with something related to physics which is ANYTHING because physics is EVERYTHING

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    llama

goatmon is totally bashing physics

fight that man

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Crystal Skull stopped being just serial pulp action and turned into modern bombastically over-the-top fantastical action sequence film.

word.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    there is a need for internal consistency in movies and in all kinds of fiction

people confuse this for an expectation of realism, like they think the deal is that movies either are or are not like real life and that's where it ends

and then they say "well here's a part where it's unrealistic, so you can't complain about any other ridiculous shit that happens which violates the story's own rules because it's already unrealistic"

no, that's retarded. if i write a fantasy story with shitloads of dragons, that's already unrealistic because dragons do not exist. but if i establish over the course of that story that my dragons breathe fire and that remains true for the whole story, the reader can still expect that the dragon at the end of the story will also breathe fire. if i have it breathe magical antigravity rays instead so it can save the hero from falling, they have the right to be like "what the fuck" because that's not internally consistent. whether the story is realistic to begin with doesn't matter.

redhead on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Let's forget Crystal Skull and talk about how boss Fate of Atlantis is instead.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    Just saying

show another example where a thoroughly used concept in a well-established series of movies

such as PHYSICS

was completely shit on and it was somehow okay

seriously "it happens sometimes so don't get mad" is still a full on stupid argument

A well established series of movies in which two of the movies are nearly two decades apart, you mean?

Because it's a lot easier to forget certain nuances in your approach to specific details, or just have a significantly altered outlook on how you do movies over a span of 19 years.

It really should not have come as a surprise to anyone that the newer film did not have the exact same approach on everything as the previous movies.

Is that a better argument?

Goatmon on

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    in that case, goatmon you are a fuck.

Yeah redhead got it right.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fishman wrote: »

Should have been the fourth film, just swap Nazis for Commies.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    listen the real question is why are Raneados and me still awake?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

Should have been the fourth film, just swap Nazis for Commies.

they should make a movie version now just because. Christina hendricks as Sophia

dangit, now I wanna replay it. Steam version ahoy

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    While you're at it get The Dig.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Why would you start an Indy thread with a quote from the terrible second film?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well I bought the Lucas arts pack in some sale a few months back, but haven't actually replayed any of the games since I bought them. It was more oh hey, it's pretty cheap on steam, better go buy it.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also I am hoping for an Indy 5

Because so far the series is following an odds-are-great, evens-are-awful format

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Again

Fuck anyone who doesn't like Temple of Doom

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fuck you and fuck Short Round

Eat a dick

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The horse vs. tank sequence from Last Crusade is still one of my favorite movie action sequences

The pen is mightier than the sword.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My mother, brother and I used to race to be the first to finish adventure games from LucasArts.

Fate of Atlantis was great because I was the first to finish brains, my brother was the first to finish brawn, and my mother was the first to finish co-op.
    I was the first to finish all three. I win!

So far, since the Steam Sale, I've done LOOM and Secret of Monkey Island SE (and Machinarium, which was awesome). I was going to hit up Ben There, Dan That next, but maybe I'll do The Dig or Fate of Atlantis instead.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Muph mmu mma muph Mumph Mmmph

Mph m mmph

I'm sorry I can't hear you over all those penises in your mouth

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Again

Fuck anyone who doesn't like Temple of Doom

Temple of Doom is awesome. It's like Indiana Jones tackling some classic James Bond villain complete with cult henchmen and a super fortress. And the mine car chase is awesome.

Darksier on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ffffffuuuuuuuck me I never did finish The Dig when I was a kid.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    futore i am with you

goatmon shut your face

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Crystal Skull was just excessive in pretty much every category.

It assumed that as long as the film was flashy and unpredictable it would delight audiences. The whole thing seemed like they'd made it more "family friendly" and dumbed it down. It was just so over the top that it was hard for me to take it at all seriously. And with that your "suspense" goes right out the window and it takes with it the core of the action sequences.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Temple of Doom kinda sucks because there is very little world hopping. It pretty much all takes place in India.

And nobody likes India.

I liked the idea for Crystal Skull. Cause alien shit kinda like Stargate would be cool in the Indy universe. But it was a horrible movie.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had to be physically restrained from walking out of Crystal Skull by my friends.

There came a point, and I don't remember when exactly maybe like 20 minutes in, that it was just too bad. Stood up and tried to walk out, but nope...had to sit through another hour and change in that turd of a movie.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love Indiana Jones, but Ghost, you forgot this in your OP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THaivF04yBg

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i never really had a problem with the aliens at the end of Crystal Skull

because i looked back at the other movies and saw:
    1. Face melting God box
    2. Reaching into somebody's chest and pulling out their still beating heart
    3. 700+ year old knight chilling in a cave waiting to chat about a cup that gives immortality

it didnt seem so bad in comparison

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i never really had a problem with the aliens at the end of Crystal Skull

because i looked back at the other movies and saw:
    1. Face melting God box
    2. Reaching into somebody's chest and pulling out their still beating heart
    3. 700+ year old knight chilling in a cave waiting to chat about a cup that gives immortality

it didnt seem so bad in comparison

Conceptually, I agree.

From an execution standpoint the movie was a steaming pile.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The worst thing about Crystal Skull was that it evoked the same bad gut check that I got when I saw Phantom Menace for the first time. All excited cause my favorite thing was coming back after all these years and the trailers made it sound awesome. Sitting in the theater all excited and ready to have fun with a movie.

I think it was right at the point where they start chasing the floating magnet trail and in Star Wars as soon as they tried to murder the Jedis with poop gas. Because after those points both movies continue to go down hill on a avalanche of shit.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png