As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Discover the secrets of Bjorn and his end within!
    For the future stability of the Carolingian realm, Bjorn rescinded the last, mad edict of his grandfather. Although the Frankish kings had split their realms amongst their children, Bjorn recognized that such fractured kingdoms would have no chance of survival. He decreed that inheritance would be bequeathed according to the tenets of salic primogeniture: inheritance would pass to the first born son or the closest living male heir, and would only be allowed to pass through males (as much as he loved some of his daughters, the trifecta of inbred women he had spawned shunned him from more liberal inheritance laws).

Torbjorn was up set at this change of events - understandably so. Bjorn attempted to placate him with the knowledge that his last will and testement, did in fact provide for Torbjorn. Regardless, his sons seemed to remain on amiable terms with him.

Aside from internal politics, Bjorn continued his war against the last hurdle to his lifelong goal. In 1267 he attacked the Emir of Toledo to lay claim to Barcelona. Of course, rumors of the harbor's physical wealth were somewhat exaggerated. Emir Dhu'-Mun was the true magic behind the city's wealth due to his status as a genius mathematician and master of logistics rumored to create fountains of gold from sand.

SS1-EmirateofToledo.jpg
    (he gets 20 gold per turn from Barcelona, but he's bankrupt...)

By June of 1268, Bjorn had forced the Emir into submission (although war with his liege, the King of Zenata would continue on for some months more). Envoys were sent to the pope to have Bjorn crowned King of Aragon in absentia by virtue of his possession of the realm and his defense of Christiandom against Muslim aggression.

SS2-AragonandBurgundy.jpg

Bjorn began to rearrange the grants of land throughout his empire to consolidate power for the future. Many vassals staunchly opposed the act - fearing that changes of their boundaries would represent decreased claims on hereditary rule. However, low taxes and peace throughout the realm pacified much of the opposition.

However, while surveying the lands in his new Kingdom, he was attacked around dusk by a group of well-trained assassins. He fought his way through his attackers but was severely injured in the engagement.

SS3-allkinglear.jpg

While laying bed-ridden for months, Bjorn was forced to delegate the task of pacifying unruly vassals to his marshal. Metz, Foix and Pest were brought back into the folds of the empire. The bisopric of Anjou - the bishop himself a friend of Thomas - managed to elude Bjorn's marshal for quite some time.

Fearing that his wound held ill omens, in his enfeebled form Bjorn attempted to convince various religious figures to aid the populace - noble and peasant alike. Wary of the church's talk of poverty and penitence, but seeing only opulence, Bjorn pushed hard for some reform.

SS4-stability.jpg

By August he was able to watch his young daughter's marriage. Seeing that the last of his good daughters would be well taken care of and feeling somewhat better after nearly a year of rest, Bjorn attempted to return to running his realm.

SS5-lastdaughterwed.jpg

However, in September his injuries became inflammed and old scars began to fester.

SS6-aggravatedwound.jpg

Fearing the end of his days would soon be upon him, Bjorn summoned his sons to his bedside in the Krak des Karlings. The event coincided with the anniversary of the death of Bjorn's father, William. Thomas soon arrived from the house seat at Vermandois, while Torbjorn - unexpectedly soon - also soon arrived.

With his sons at his side, he lifted himself from his bed. Taking a crown from his nightstand he held it out and said to Torbjorn, "Your fighting spirit and martial prowess will make you a great warrior. So that you may practice your craft and aid Christiandom, I grant you the realm of Aragon."

SS7-Torbjorn-king.jpg

Coughing and sputtering he turned to his other son, Thomas, and said, "You are a magician with words and numbers. So that you may bring our family great wealth and power, I grant you the realm of Burgundy."

He sank back into his bed, wheezing from exhaustion.

Five days later he passed away.

SS8-newking.jpg

However, there is much suspicion behind the death of Bjorn.

Bjorn was the son of William (who was a heretic, excommunicated by the Pope). When Bjorn refused to follow the heretical beliefs of his father William, William began to seek other propsective followers.

Now, William had 4 sons: Bjorn, Henry, Osmond and Godfrey. Only Bjorn was a legitimate heir, as his other 3 sons were bastards. William gave the county of Eu and the county of Amiens to Osmond repeatedly, but he continually attempted to use the land to rebel against William's heretical beliefs.

Subsequently, in his last year William stopped issuing lands to his son, but developed a protege in Henry (Godfrey was, at this time, too young to be considered). Henry subsequently adopted his father's heretical beliefs.

SS9-HenrysonofWilliam.jpg

When Bjorn's sons came of age, Henry befriended them and managed to convert Thomas to William's heretical beliefs (Torbjorn can see Thomas' heretical beliefs because he is a friend, but Bjorn could not). Henry also proclaimed that he was a legitimate son and not a bastard (at least not in the literal sense).

So there are 3 likely rationales behind the patricide/fratricide:

Henry, in a long-running bid to become king assassinated Bjorn.

Thomas, as the next in line to inherit attempted to take the throne before Bjorn could discover his heretical beliefs or he got excommunicated (or he's just power hungry)

Torbjorn, disenchanted at the thought of being disinherited plotted an assassination of revenge (and may still be considering murdering his only (nearly twin) brother.

Your next ruler:

SS10-ThomasdeVermandois.jpg

(and if you're greatly concerned about retrieving Aragon, Torbjorn has only managed to have daughters survive so far)

Maps will have to come tomorrow. Also, potential google docs/dropbox links or emails for whoever decides they want to be next in line.

President Rex on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hopefully Aragon stays independent. Well done with Bjorn.

Good luck to Reboot with the heretic. That strikes me as large potential for collapse.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, we managed to wind our way back around to being Frankish. Good job.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, we managed to wind our way back around to being Frankish. Good job.

And it's oddly set to go down the tubes again ...

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You didn't give the Duchy of Barcelona along with the Crown of Aragon? Seems a bit odd to retain that.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Argh a Heretic. Ok ok... breathe...

Argh a Heretic!

Hmm. RPing this will be... interesting.

Reboot on
  • Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that's way worse than being mad. Does anybody remember the event tree for getting rid of that? There's a piety floor that triggers good reform events, right? Of course, you can always just run with it and RP, your choice.

PS-> I'm more than happy to jump back in whenever my turn comes up again.

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't know of a way to gift lands or titles to foreign rulers outside modifying game files, otherwise I'd have tried harder to get Torbjorn the island of Burgundian land still in Aragon from Luxembourg (unfortunately it's Lux's vassal).

As for why I kept the duke title: I gave Torbjorn 3 or 4 duke titles already, and he has boatloads of land. I was trying to match my duchy titles somewhat geographically with their historical counterparts, but I didn't have anything for the south, so I figured I'd just use Barcelona...but then I forgot.

Long desired maps: now with less blue (Aragon, in-game, is also blue).

The placement of key duchies and individual counties:
    carolingianduchiesof1268.jpg

The Carolingian sphere:
    world-of-1269-marked.jpg

The ridiculously huge map of contiguous empires in the known world:
    burgundian-world-labelled-contiguous-3.gif

President Rex on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ouch, so much for mighty Byzantium. Poland is looking pretty impressive. The inclusion of Polish Netherlands makes them feel like our Habsburgs. Scottish Scandinavia is just bizarre though.

Edit: Aragon is actually a lot larger than I thought it would be too. Might actually be enough to push out the Muslims.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We need a powerful rival, badly. Or a collapse.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We need a powerful rival, badly. Or a collapse.

If we still need a collapse, I could take a turn.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We'll see what Reboot does, but you're welcome to play regardless.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It was helpful to have Alexandria (and eventually Rome) for carving out Aragon, but it's fairly overpowering to have Rome, Ile de France and Alexandria (short of adding Venice and Constantinople to that mix). So the best form of collapse would be managing to dump off Alexandria at least. Alexander attempted to do that, but then it came right back into my empire without any input from me. And I've never taken Rome before; I was expecting the pope to request it back.

Unfortunately, vanilla CK is pretty bad about random minors requesting to be vassalized. DVIP attempts to fix that and the overseas empires, but it's a bit harder to use the save game converters with it. When we do convert, I would recommend chopping off disparate areas of empires into independent states (or combining them with neighbors).

For example, Genoa - which formed Italy - has very few provinces actually next to each other, but they basically own Genoa/Milan and the western and central Italian peninsula. Our Duchy of Pest could easily be the creation of a more stable Hungary (the actual Kingdom of Hungary is all over the board and doesn't have any 2 provinces neighboring eachother). Somehow Rhodes replaced Byzantium as the go-to power in the East. They took Greece and the a huge swath near Moscow (and another tiny one in Belarus/Eastern Poland).

Also, I think I'll move the giant map in-line inside a spoiler sinc there're around 100 people that view them and it shouldn't kill my bandwidth.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, I'm for sure at the very least turning things like Polish Ireland into an independent state. Some of them I'll keep vassalized (like, I think, Polish Netherlands).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'm all for fudging the borders to create more coherent nation-states when it comes time to convert over to EU3. Especially since I won't be the person who has to do it... :P

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We might want to consider the general rule:

If holding a ducal title, not of the kingdom's culture, and significantly separate, ally.
    If holding a any title of the kingdoms culture and physically separate from the demanse or an series of vassals connected to the demanse, vassal. Ducal titles connected in such a manner are vassals with the exception of those with a personal demanse of one province.

This allows far flung territories like Alexandria to be something like the Raj and forces kingdoms to deal with powerful vassals like historical Burgandy.

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    An important question for when the time comes: anybody feel vaguely artistic and interested in making flags? I'm pretty sure there are going to be a fair number of new countries that will need assets like that. Possibly including ourselves, unless we just decide we're Burgundy.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The stock flag for Burgundy in EU3 is hideous, so I'm all for designing something of our own. And I'd be willing to help out with some flag designs, as long as we have some specs to work with in terms of size/file type. My graphics skills are so-so at best.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Technically we should the Frankish Empire (whose name developed into France). Burgundy is its own separate entity; we just happened to have come across that king title first (since no one has it at the start of the game).

If possible we should set up a new tag for ourselves or use a less-used one, and let Burgundy potentially be Burgundy. Unfortuantely the Papal States, Poland and us are taking up Burgundy's historical position, but it's conceivable it could be released.

As another option, we could be a random tag, and have another random tag for the Frankish Empire (or Carolingian Empire or whatever) to be obtained via national decision (potentially requiring a ruler with X stats and the historic lands of Charlemagne's realm (and possibly other requirements). After CK it's going to be more and more difficult to transfer the saves, since there'll be ever increasing numbers of mod files.

Also, I'm not sure how HTTT handles colonization, but it'd be nice if it didn't start until around 1500 or so (I think assorted mods handle it with requiring two separate colonization-dedicated national ideas or something similar).

We'll also need to figure something out for the HRE. I believe Bohemia holds the crown, but Bohemia is basically the worst kingdom around. I think most converters actually handle it by who it decides to convert to German/Italian minors, but I foresee some editing in the works.

Flags are 64x64 targa (.tga) files. Enlightenedbum wanted to use his avatar cross for the actual country, but we may be able to use other adjusted flags depending on the situation (e.g. if we use the cross, it may make sense to throw it on Aragon's flag or something).

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Plus there are things like Frankish Alexandria that would need a new flag.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    While I'd be hesitant to start making flags for places that may or may not exist by the end of the CK run, our lands should remain in some form (otherwise how would we continue :P ), so potential flag ideas:

Vermandois
    vermandois.gif

Stylized combination of Vermandois and Valois
    vermandoisandvalois.gif

Based on the monogram of Charlemagne:
    karolus2.gif

Alternative monogram with fleur-de-lis (which has a tenuous link with the Carolingians and late Middle Age/Renaissance paintings often depict him wearing):
    karolus.gif

Based on the famous 15th century painting of Charlemagne by Dürer (with the coat of arms of the HRE and France in the background):
    drerkarolus.gif

Enlightendbum's favored Carolingian Cross (so named for its copious amounts of Cs and not anything Charlemagne-related):
    cross.gif

Based on the French Oriflamme, which - like the spread of fleur-de-lis on a field of azure - has some links with Charlemagne (...and Byzantium):
    oriflamme.gif

I think I like the Vermandois+Valois for a starting flag that gets upgraded to the oriflamme when the empire is potentially reborn via event. I like the Dürer concept, but it feels somewhat unoriginal (since France will be running around with it and Germany could potentially form). Although the monogram or the cross would be easiest to imprint over our vassal's basic flag image.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    OK I'm done with the gameplay and I'm sorting out the screenshots. Some notes:

1. Please update your CKDV to patch 2.1 beta (found here) The original CKDV comes with a bug that increases everyone's relationship with each other with each load, causing it to max out. The result is an orgy of ridiculous vassalisations (That's why you have Poland everywhere).

2. The reign of Thomas lasted for 20 years. Despite countless rebellions, Burgundy has consolidated its dominance in France.

3. Aragon didn't last.

4. Thanks in part to the relationship bug in (1), we now have a few big rivals.

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So we're almost at the last century of CK. Woo!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm impressed that not only are we actually making it through, but we're moving at a pretty good clip.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Obviously this means we need a new player. Any volunteers from the rookies? We could use a rookie about now. :P

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If no other rookies can get started before Tuesday then I'm game.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Reign of Thomas I
    (The First Ten Years)

There are so many rebellions it's really impossible to thread a story with them, so I've placed them outside of the main text. Unless otherwise stated, I eventually retook the territory and left them be.
    And so, now I am King. And what a King I will be - I will not be gullible like father, who thinks the Church holds real power over our spirit; but in other ways, I will be like him - I will be just to my subjects, and I hope to bring stability to my country.
    0001_Thomas.jpg

1269 AD
    Father left me with a siege at Anjou - the results of which - it is a given.
    0002_Siege_Anjou.jpg

October 14
    Anjou is conquered. The false bishop is kicked out of the realm and the realm is added to the royal demesne.

How do I know the bishop is false? Why, they are all bloodsuckers! How else do you explain that the Pope sits in Transylvania, home of legendary vampires?
    0005_Pope_Vampire.jpg

They can't be trusted, I tell you.

1270 AD
    Rebellions:
    - Jan 21, C.Auxerre and D.Flanders. Brugge taken from Flanders as punishment.
    - May 05, D.Orleans. Bourges taken as punishment.

September 25
    Theives disbanded in the capital. I must be doing something right, oui?
    0019_12700925_Thieves_Disbanded_IDF.jpg

December 20
    Curses. The battle at Tourraine went well and D.Orleans is in retreat, but a lucky archer managed to hit me. Now I am bedridden.
    0022_12701220_Wounded.jpg

1271 AD
    Rebellions:
    None! Huzzah!

January 03
    Hamelin - my second son - will be entrusted to the local nobles for upbringing. He must be a trusty character if he were to help his elder brother rule the realm, when the time comes.
    0023_12710103_Hamelin_LocalNobles.jpg

February 02
    Amazing news at the Chancellor's desk - Count of Rosello and Countess of Orbetello have begged that we accept them as a vassal. Who am I to say no?
    0024_12710201_Rosello_Vassal.jpg0025_12710202_Orbetello_Vassal.jpg

April 23
    Perhaps my injury gets me more "sympathy votes"? Today C.Albret has agreed to accept me as his liege.
    0027_12710423_Albret_Vassal.jpg

May 30
    Gauthier will remain with me, where I can teach him the fine art of kingship.
    0028_12710530_Gauthier_Personal.jpg

September 03
    Finally, I found a way to be rid of the diocese bishop (a.k.a Papal Spy). I made him bishop to Bourges, a province I confiscated from the previously-rebelling D.Orleans.
    0030_12710903_Bishophric.jpg

December 27
    As if a sign that I did the right thing to be rid of the bishop, a healer comes to Paris to cure my injury. I am well again.
    0031_12711227_Healer.jpg

1272 AD
    Rebellions:
    None! Huzzah!

March 01
    The bishop of Armagnac is excommunicated. Whoever heard of an excommunicated bishop? If anything, this man is a contradiction in terms - evidence of the fallacies of the Papacy - one I intend to wipe from the realm.
    0032_12720301_Siege_Armagnac.jpg

June 04
    Gauthier is now old enough to attend to me at court.
    0034_12720604_Gauthier_Court.jpg

1273 AD - War of the White Eagle
    Rebellions:
    Aug 01 - D.Orleans. Confiscated his Ducal title. (None of his lands are actually in Orleans anyway)

June 02
    With the realm in peace, it is time to complete our conquest of all of Anjou. The only province left is Vendome - a Polish vassal. C.Vendome also controls Oxford in the English isle. Of course, this means Poland has declared war to defend their vassal - but I'm confident that we can handle whatever the Polish King intends to throw at us.
    0044_12730602_Siege_Oxford.jpg

June 22
    With Vendome & Oxford subdued, the army now focuses on convincing the Polish King to agree to a ceasefire. To that effect, Polish royal holdings were conquered:
    0044_12730622_Siege_Verona.jpg

Jul 16
    Poland is more stubborn than I thought. King Imre insists on a pitched battle, landing his impressive army on the coast of Normandy.
    0045_12730716_Polish_Armee.jpg

Of course, our levy from the capital holdings are far, far greater than "impressive".
    0045_12730717_Burgundian_Defense.jpg

Pwn'd!

July 22
    Meanwhile the attacks on Polish royal demesnes continue unabated and one of our divisions find themselves in control of the capital, Krakow.
    0045_12730722_Siege_Krakow.jpg

July 24
    They think just because we're at war that I won't catch them trying to con money from me. Ha! Never! You Bloodsuckers!
    0046_12730724_Clergy_Nonsense.jpg

July 26
    The Polish invasion persists to be an impotent murmur. The Polish King has unwisely spread his troops all over the coast of Normandy, allowing me to pick them off easily with superior numbers. Meanwhile, I ignored the option to sell titles for money.
    0047_12730726_Titles_Wars.jpg

August 13
    Imre finally realises the futility of his counterattack and agrees to peace.
    0050_12730813_Peace.jpg

October 30
    That SLUT! SO Gauthier is none of mine! I should have known...
    0051_12731030_Bastard.jpg

I cannot bear to look on him any longer. The steward arranged for his fostership with Tobjorn in Aragon.
    0051_12731031_Gauthier_Exiled.jpg

Rebellions:
    October 15 C.Albret & Armagnac.

May 22
    Hamelin is my only legitimate son now - I know, because I went over the spy reports twice. He therefore must be schooled in the ways of the court.
    0054_12740522_Hamelin_Court.jpg

August 02
    Today we march for Geneve to include that mountainous land as part of our Kingdom. The result is inevitable.
    0057_12740802_War_Geneve.jpg

November 11
    A pleasant surprise today as Robert D.Gloucester offered to served under Burgundy. The man has some very strong provinces, including Essex (and therefore London)
    0062_12741111_Gloucester_Vassals.jpg

Rebellions:
    - February 10. C.Chalons.
    - June 01. C.Vannes.
    - October 01. C.Tourraine & LaMarche. I took LaMarche from him this time.

Rebellions:
    - January 13. D.Flanders. I took from him the County of Pecs.
    - May 12. C.Foix.
    - October 05. C.Leiningen.

Rebellions:
    - August 16. C.Vannes.

January 03
    We subdued C.Leiningen. After making sure he learnt his lesson, the army moves southward to Sundgau. Sundgau he broken free a few years ago without me knowing. Doesn't mean I've forgotten though.
    0084_12770103a_Onwards_to_Sundgau.jpg

May 25
    Sundgau is ours. C.Sundgau (a relative no less!) is made to retake his oaths.

June 16
    With the eastern fringe of the empire settled, I turn my eye to the west - C.Thouars is a vassal of the King of Bohemia - a mewling of a kingdom with less than a handful of provinces to call it's own.
    0087_12770616_Invade_Thouars.jpg

The King of Bohemia quickly agreed to peace after Thouars fell.

September 10
    There's a rumor going around that Hamelin beat up a servant. Now a child of 8 beating down a servant is really something! Hamelin protested that it was slander, of course. But the rumour stuck and now everyone thinks my little boy is a tyrant. Being known to be a bully isn't a bad thing, you know... just don't get called.
    0089_12770910_Hamelin_Cruel.jpg

September 26
    Superb news as another lord seeks my protection - C.Gelre isn't at war with anyone, and his province is moderately rich, and is actually near enough for me to defend if he gets into trouble. Welcome I say!
    0089_12770926_Gelre_Vassals.jpg

Novermber 11
    Marie, that slut, dies. She was carrying our child - or at least I hope was mine. A proper burial was ordered, but I shed no tear for such a faithless woman.
    0089_12771111_Wife_Dies.jpg

A new Queen is sought amongst the brightest in the known world, as soon as possible. And I have my eyes on a Greek courtier serving the Counts of Somerset, the talented Eirene... A good day is selected for the wedding, and Eirene will take charge of my diplomatic matters in Burgundy.
    0089_12771113_Wife_New.jpg

November 19
    The marriage duties came up to just over 3000 ducats, doubling our treasury!
    0090_12771119_Marriage_Duties.jpg

1278 - The War of the Red Lion
    Rebellions:
    None! Huzzah!

February 02
    Spring brings the refreshing air of love. Eirene is all that a man can hope for - capable, smart, and beautiful.
    0093_12780102_Wife_Love.jpg

February 13
    The past year saw a back-and-forth campaign between the Scots and the Italians. Their troops traverse our lands more often than my own men do - and that's counting all the rebellions! This gallivanting has got to stop, and I think Scotland is exhausted enough not to mind losing a few of their territories in France in the process...
    0095_12780213_Scotland.jpg

March 20
    Our first strike at Macon goes well. The Scots were taken completely by surprise.

April 18
    Nonetheless their response is quick. The reinforcements meant to support the troops further south were channeled to attack Burgundian lands. We leave them to rampage for now. Having captured Macon, our Charolais strike force was sent southwards to conquer the Scot royal demesne there..

May 18
    Charolais strike force proceeded to attack Viviers, an independent County that makes an excellent outpost on our way south.
    0099_12780518_Movements_Viviers.jpg

July 09
    Another division the LaMarche strike force, is sent to stop any Scottish forces they encounter inland.

August 09
    The conquest of Viviers proceeds smoothly, and we expand into Gevaudan another independent County bordering the west of Viviers.

September 05
    Tougher resistance than expected along LaMarche's front. Reinforcements sent from Anjou.
    0104_12780905_Reinforcements.jpg

November 14
    Reinforcements meet the LaMarche regiment just in time as the first big battle between Scotland and Burgundy unfurls.
    0107_12781114_LaMarche_Battle.jpg

In the end the Scots couldn't hold their lines against a well rested, Burgundian army that's confident at home.

December 07
    Our emboldened LaMarche regiment continues to hunt the retreating Scottish main army. Meanwhile reinforcements are called from Nevers and Lyons to liberate Scot-occupied Charolais and deal with some of the Scottish forces that got past the front lines at Lyons.
    0109_12790224_Gainning_Scots.jpg

Meanwhile, our Macon strike force steams captures the Scottish lands to the south of France. Smaller regiments were sent westward after the disparate Scottish territories there too.

Rebellions:
    December 26. C.Chalons.

January 20
    Another showdown as LaMarche strike force catches the Scottish main army in Tourraine. We fought in Tourraine so often (no thanks to a certain rebelious lord), there's really no better advantage. Scotland was routed.
    0108_12790120_Tourraine_Battle.jpg

March 20
    Our Macon strike force journeys northwards, capturing all 3 Scot provinces in Southern France, and they continue northwards towards an unguarded Limousin. The LaMarche strike force continues to hunt the Scottish main army into Anjou.
    0110_12790320_Limousin.jpg

May 11
    With the siege of Limousin under way, Dijon was captured.

May 21
    With his main force in tatters and losing territories on the mainland, Donald King of Scots did the only wise thing - accept the peace deal, ceding most of his possessions in South France to Burgundy. The exception being Limousin, Auvergne, and Dijon. Here's the new map:
    0111_12790522_State.jpg

September 18
    Mindful of the bad reputation after seizing so many territories from Scotland, I decided to reduce my holdings. Chief of which Arques is entrusted to the D.Normandy.
    0114_12790918_Normandy_Award.jpg

October 18
    Amazingly I found a bishop with the same thoughts as I regarding the Pope. I appointed him the diocese bishop.
    0116_12791018_Bishop.jpg

Rebellions:
    - July 21. C.Troyes.

March 05
    Bardas - the first offspring by Eirene.
    0118_12800305_Bardas.jpg

June 06
    A suitable girl is found for Gauthier (the Bastard) - a Catalan courtier serving the C.Leon (who happens to be party of Burgundy). The girl is exceptionally talented.
    0120_12800606_Guathier_Marries.jpg

June 30
    Finding a good match for my son obviously impressed others.
    0121_12800630_Approval.jpg

August 09
    Again the Church seeks to profit from the hard work of others. I bade them to speak unto my hand, and go.
    0122_12800809_Deny_Church.jpg

September 23
    My dislike of the church finally caught the Pope's eye and he threatened to excommunicate me.
    0123_12800923_Excom.jpg

Oh yeah? Is that the best you can do?

Reboot on
  • Options
    DramatiesDramaties Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Damn you people! I just returned from my throne room in the center of plague-ridden Barcelona and this medieval version of Sims is pretty addictive... I keep getting annihilated and vassalised with every other country, but I'm getting a great run with Barcelona. Personal favorite amongst the Paradox games for me.

You guys are pretty awesome for trying this adventure! Fun to read too! Sorry if I missed it, but what difficulty are you guys playing at? Normal/normal i guess? Keep this gig up guys :)

Dramaties on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, it's normal.

EDIT: At the rate we're going, we may need to make a new religion for ourselves, Henry VIII style.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, it's normal.

EDIT: At the rate we're going, we may need to make a new religion for ourselves, Henry VIII style.

So, basically we're Cathars now? (and by we I mean those of you who are playing) A major 13th century French heretical movement? Yea that has Cathar written all over it. Good luck with that. A crusadish thing was called to push them out of France, but with nobody really having the power to do that and with the Pope being in exile, you might be able to pull it off. For role-playing flavor, if you decide to take this route, here is the wiki entry.

EDIT: Sorry, apparently I can't read straight, Cathars were big in the 12th century and were wiped out in the 13th, but still it's the best one I could find.

Suicide Slyde on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Reign of Thomas I
    (The Later Ten Years)

Seems like Excommunication is the worst the Pope can do. Pathetic.
    Rebllions:
    March 12. C.Albret & Armagnac
    April 07. D.Alsace - my ally
    May 06. C.Oxford
    June 26. C.Thoaurs

June 19
    At least a bit of good news in Court. The bishop has some success preaching against the false pope.
    0127_12810619_Hereticism_Spreads.jpg

November 05
    With the world seemingly against me, Eirene's silent support through this excommunication makes be think our love for each other must be for real.
    0131_12811105_Virile.jpg

Rebellions:
    None! Huzzah! Could that all the sting of an Excommunication has?

April 10
    The false pope declares a crusade to free Jerusalem. Well I don't feel obliged to do what the church says. Burgundy Alexandria is closed to the Crusaders. (Actually nobody seemed to respond to this Crusades)
    0132_12820410_Crusades.jpg

October 21
    Feeling cheated of his inheritance, Gauthier demanded I re-institute him as a true heir. What nonsense.
    0133_12821021_Demands.jpg

Rebellions:
    - May 30. D.Burgundy. I took Macon as punishment.
    - June 01. D.Flanders. Took his Duchy title this time.
    - June 16. C.Vannes.

February 11
    Do I dare?...well it turns out, I do. We declared on Scotland again. This time to capture Auvergne and Limousin. Plus, C.Auvergne is the Papal Controller, seems like some righteous smacking is in order.
    0134_12830211_War_Scotland.jpg

Anyway the Count of Auvergne is a pompous self-righteous arse without an heir.
    0135_12830219_Zavie.jpg

Hey Zavie, I hear your wife's mighty lonely at night!

April 03
    The outcome is inevitable. Zavie Dunkeld is stripped of his title, which is awarded to a claim-holder that turned up at court the other day.
    0136_12830403_Auvergne_Vassals.jpg

Meanwhile, the expedition force is sent eastwards to capture Scot-held provinces and convince King Donald to come to the negotiation table.

May 13
    We almost moved against Donald's provinces in England.
    0137_12830513_Movements.jpg

May 19
    Limousin and Aargau fall on the same day.
    0138_12830519_Wins.jpg

The victorious Aargau strike force is sent eastwards to Niederbayern.

August 03
    News reach us that the a popular revolt in Montpellier was successful in throwing off the Polish yoke and becoming independent.
    0142_12830803_New_Realm.jpg

September 23
    Niderbayern is captured, yet King Donald refuses to parlay.

December 12
    Morava, far to east, is captured. Donald finally agrees to part with Auvergne and Limousin.
    0147_12831228_Morava.jpg

1284 - Bumper Crop of Rebellions
    Rebellions:
    - February 07 C.Anjou. Anjou is seized because the count was doing such a bad job managing the province, it was constantly under revolt under him.
    - March 02. C.Leiningen. Replaced with someone in Court.
    - March 14. C.Provence.
    - May 14. C.Vannes. Property seized and given back to D.Brittany.
    - June 09. C.Lyons. Took Perigord as punishment.
    - Jul 01. C.Tourraine.
    - July 07. C.Thouars.

January 06
    Well obviously my creds aren't that bad even with the excommunication thing... Lusignan, previously a Danish county in France, has agreed to defect.
    0148_12840106_Lusignan_Vassals.jpg

March 19
    A sad day today as my Diocese Bishop dies at the ripe old age of 70. I cannot find anyone more suitable to the position, and therefore it is left vacant.
    0151_12840319_Bishop_Dies.jpg

August 20
    Lest the world thinks we're weakened by all the rebellions happening domestically, Burgundy continues to absorb new territory, Surrey now bows to Paris.
    0154_12840514_Surrey_Vassals.jpg

1285 - The Year of Financial Embarrassment
    Rebellions:
    - February 07. D.Orkney. He's too far for me to care, so we didn't try to re-conquer him. I'll get him, eventually.
    - March 27. C.Tourraine & LaMarche. LaMarche is taken as punishment.
    - July 22. C.Brabant.

February 02
    Hamelin reaches majority and I found a good wife for him.
    0164_12850202_Hamelin_Marriage.jpg

Tiburge from the House of de Donzy shows much potential...

Which as you can see, is well realized:
    0166_12850223_Spymaster_New.jpg

April 23
    All those rebellions are draining the treasury despite our best efforts.
    0167_12850423_Estates.jpg

October 26
    Alas, to my shame, again, we needed the help from the Estates General.
    0172_12851026_Estates.jpg

Rebellions:
    April 23 - D.Champagne.
    May 06 - C.Geneve & Gabiya (Egypt). Geneve is taken and awarded to Gauthier (the Bastard).
    May 11 - C.Limousin.
    June 12 - C.Provence.
    December 28 - C.Brabant. Brabant is re-incorporated into the royal demesne.

September 06
    Again, the countless rebellions continue to drain our warchest.
    0178_12860906_Estates.jpg

November 02
    Expected money comes in the form of Blanche's brideprice. She is wedded to C.Labourd, which is just south of our own territories. Perhaps family ties will convince Raolf to defect to Burgundy... perhaps.
    0180_12861102_Blanche_Marries.jpg

Also, the triple-county of Neuchatel, Bern & Valais offered to recognise Burgundy as suzerain.

0182_12861102a_Neuchatel.jpg

Rebellions:
    Jaunary 27. C.Provence
    March 7. C.Auvergne

March 09
    A Traveling Minstrel offered to compose a song about Burgundy for a paltry sum. I figured with the excommunication in full force, a bit of cheering up should do everyone some good.
    0185_12870309_Bards.jpg

May 19
    Since our troops are already mobilised to subdue the rebellious Count of Provence, I though we could pick up Montpellier on the way.
    0187_12870519_Montpellier_War.jpg

August 27
    Guillaume - my second son with Eirene, is slow to talk. In a bid to encourage him, the boy became weak-willed instead.
    0189_12870827_Guillaume_Slow.jpg

Rebellions
    October 29. D.Gloucester. Essex taken as punishment.
    November 24. C.Neuchatel, Bern, & Valais. I let them go since they came to us willingly anyway.

April 06
    Bardas, my firstborn with Eirene, is gaining some notoriety due to some rumors about him beating up a servant (now where have I heard it before? Unlike his brother Hamelin, who took it in his stride despite a protest of innocence, Bardas got really worked up over it. All that warrior training obviously haven't put enough backbone into him - I worry for his future.
    0193_12880406_Bardas_Rumor.jpg

April 15
    So I thought since Guillaume is still slow with his speech I would try something more "motivational". He became vengeful.
    0194_12880415_Guillaume_Vengeful.jpg

July 15
    Have you heard of a double-excommunication? Fustrated by the impotent sting of his excommunication, The Pope thinks having twice the number of excoms make me look bad. Hey if it makes him look more the fool, I'm happy to play along.

/nelson
    Haha!

Maybe I should started revoking the bishoprics in Burgundy, just for kicks.
    0196_12880710_So_What.jpg

Rebellions
    July 19. C.Thouars.
    October 29. D.Gloucester. Essex taken as punishment.
    November 24. C.Neuchatel, Bern, & Valais. I let them go since they came to us willingly anyway.

March 25
    Hamelin, being crown prince, is deserving of a land to rule for his own. I've granted him the Duchy of Luxembourg to prepare him. It's a safe part of the neighborhood, and close enough to Paris so he can come over for dinner ever so often with his mum and dad.
    0203_12890325_Hamelin.jpg

March 30
    Now for some explanation of a silly... mistake... on my part. After capturing Gevaudan a couple of years back, I kept the existing count in place. In fact, after the war with Scotland, I granted him neighboring Rouergue. What I didn't realise, was that the man's still at war with Italy! So in the end his territories of Gevaudan and Rouergue ended up as part of the Kingdom of Italy.

Now apparently the King of Italy awarded Gevaudan to some courtier or such and he had declared himself independent.
    0204_12890330_Gevaudan.jpg

Which just means we have a chance to get the place back:
    0205_12890405_Invade_Gevaudan.jpg

September 05
    We're broke again due to all the rebellions. So I decided to stimulate the economy by borrowing large quantities from the banks.
    0208_12891030_Loans.jpg

Rebellions
    April 08. C.Surrey.
    June 25. C.Auvergne.

May 30
    'Tis but a scratch!
    0210_12900530_Injured.jpg

August 01
    Oh, running away aye?
    0212_12900801_Death.jpg

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, it's normal.

So, basically we're Cathars now? (and by we I mean those of you who are playing) A major 13th century French heretical movement? Yea that has Cathar written all over it. Good luck with that. A crusadish thing was called to push them out of France, but with nobody really having the power to do that and with the Pope being in exile, you might be able to pull it off. For role-playing flavor, if you decide to take this route, here is the wiki entry.

EDIT: Sorry, apparently I can't read straight, Cathars were big in the 12th century and were wiped out in the 13th, but still it's the best one I could find.

Actually Thomas I was written to allow Catharism to fit in if that's what you want. There's actually a Cathar event in Charolais.

Maps coming soon. I've just sent the save file to Enlightened.

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How awful is our reputation?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I didn't see anything about Luxembourg's rebellions, so I'm assuming Thomas' mother died at some point and the lands fell to his personal demesne so that they could be granted to Hamelin?

Also, there seems to be some blue in NW Spain (but everything in Spain is blue), so is Aragon completely non-existent or just much diminished?

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, I don't have the save file, but it needs to go to lowlylowlycock who will be unable to update for a couple days.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Enlightenedbum - Oops. PM me your email. I sent it to Rex by mistake. Our Rep now is Slightly Tarnished.

President Rex - Yes, Lux reverted back to Thomas. Regarding Aragon, Hamelin inherited his uncle and father both in the same year. I wasn't sure when it happened so I didn't screenshot that.

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The benefits of accidentally receiving a save...

Poland is - for lack of a better descriptor - fucking huge. They are basically the USSR and the Ottomans combined. Aside from Poland, they have much of Scandinavia, the Caucasus, Cyrencia/Libya, Dalmatia, and other crap scattered all over.

Torbjorn died in 1290 (apparently he was indeed very twin-like with Thomas, who also died that year). He was beatified, so although he apparently got his ass handed to him by the Kingdom of Zenata, he was recognized for fighting the good fight, I guess.

Jeanne (Thomas' and Torbjorn's mother) died in 1279.

Hamelin is inheriting with a 4 year old son. He's got the titles to the kingdom of Burgundy and Aragon, although the former Aragonese holdings are two provinces (although there's another independent county still there).

...Torbjorn, I'm so disappointed in you.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I felt more betrayed over the fact that Torbjorn lost his heretic trait midway, than him losing most of his inheritance before giving it back to the "main family".

So anyway, here's the map:
    Map.png

I forgot to label Lavender in the Balkans - that is the Kingdom of Croatia.

Pink Stripes - Kingdom of Zirid & Qarakhnid.

Scotland's been fighting a losing war with Italy and Sicily over the past decade.

Denmark's doing well for itself, considering it's been at war with Poland.

Poland is HUGE.

The Papacy has 2 territories in South France that I've been meaning to absorb as well... ah, an early death leaves so much undone.

State of the Union (of Burgundy & Aragon)
    Burgundy has expanded mainly in France. We have more than 2/3 of France now, so we can force Baltic France to give up their pretensions and form New France if we're inclined.

I've gathered most of the royal demesne around our capital region and the rich lowlands. As shown in the war with Poland and Scotland, a strong inner core can be a deathtrap against invading armies.

We also have direct control of many of the big trade centres of our age - Brugge, Ile-de-France, Essex, Roma, and Alexandria. Money is generally flowing except that we need to bribe many of our court to keep them in their post.

Presently at war with rebel lords at Surrey and Aurvergne.

And finally, I present, Hamelin I, King of Burgundy & Aragon:
    0213_12900801_Hamelin.jpg

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wow, Hamelin is boring.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am disappointed in your map because it looks so much better than my map.

President Rex on