As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How many people do we need to assassinate to get someone of the blood into second in line too? :)

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, crazy dude might need to start assassinating everyone.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sooo.... the realm is disintigrating? Interesting to see how it'll turn out. I always end up being a ridiculously efficient murderous bastard in CK, so collapses don't occur that often. I'd say that we should strive to create a decently powerful country by the end of CK, to give the EU3 players a chance. That game is such bullshit if you play as a small country. Actually, only CK has done the small player angle well, as EU and Victoria at least screw the player over for playing a small country. And not even realistically so, as it seems that there is some arbirtrary limit, and if you are smaller that that the game will do its best to make sure you don't succeed. At least in CK success is not impossible as a small country, while in EU 3 at least the AI blatantly cheats to keep you down. I've got to try HttT yet, so I can't comment on whether playing as a small country is viable in that.

On a vaguely related tangent, Vic 2 seems to have the same issue, as I've tried playing as a number of smaller countries, and if the population is below 0.5 mil or some such, it seems to be impossible to turn a profit, no matter what you do. Then again, it might be the usual Paradox roughness at the start, that'll take a couple of patches and an expansion to fix.

I've always found playing as a small country, transforming it into an empire to be much more fulfilling than starting out as a major power and becoming major-er.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My rough goal for the transition would be like the Low Countries + Northern France + Brittany.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So, basically Burgundy from my turn, plus Normandy and Belgium, minus the Southern France counties? Pretty much what I was aiming for in my turn, but couldn't take over due to Polish and Swedish interests, mainly. Sounds good, deccently situated with good provinces, just needs unifying.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I was mostly aiming for something like that, but nothing went my way. For every province I annexed three more broke off and had to be subjugated.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What? Why is Amazon delivering this game to my house today?

I blame you fuckers.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I blame you fuckers.

Muahahahaha!

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I blame you fuckers.

Tell me about it. I'm so hooked on this game right now. I had a dream last night that I was trying to figure out a way to assassinate the King of Hungary without being discovered. :P

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Apparently "Complete" does not mean that it comes with a manual.

What have I done?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The same thing you do with every Paradox game. Flail wildly until you figure out how things work.

Though apparently they changed that in Vicky 2 and included a pretty nice tutorial. Or they did in the demo.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

What have I done?

It also doesn't come with the last expansion :P. "Complete" my ass.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My rough goal for the transition would be like the Low Countries + Northern France + Brittany.

That's a pretty powerful start to EU3 really, especially if France & England don't start out as powerful as they do usually.

a5ehren wrote: »

What have I done?

Yeah, I picked up EU3 "Complete" during the steam sale... turns out it's not quite complete!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of the transition to EU3, did you ever find a workable converter for saves from CK Deus Vult to EU3 Heir to the Throne? I'm interested to see how well my ungodly Bohemia/Brandenburg/Pomerania/parts of Denmark and Poland monstrosity will fare in the long term. You know, assuming I don't gloriously fuck myself over in the next couple centuries...

shalmelo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm probably going to try to artificially lower the infamy limit to slow down EU3 a bit. We'll see how things look.

There's a supposed converter that works with HttT a little bit here. It's still in progress but people have reported some success with it, I think.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    a5ehren wrote: »

What have I done?

Just to be sure, if I'm running "Deus Vult 2.1 beta" then I have the expansion and am up to date?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's the version I'm running.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think he is talking about EU3 complete, which comes without Heir to the Throne.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BTW I vote for Vicky II for when we get there. By then they should have 1.x (STABLE) out.

Now on to our AAR:
    I write this from my new home deep in the heart of our ancestral homeland. My brother has allowed me peace, and for that I thank him. How did I get here you ask? Well the war with Sweden fared (and fares) poorly. If it wasn't for the blessing of my family and the many honest hearted men who sometimes fell by my hand I would not have been able to afford this retirement. I ask God's mercy on them and their families and his blessing on mine now that I am no longer troubling the Franks as I once was.

I can say with honesty that the world has learned to respect even the weakest members of our family as they are found in my own pathetic vessel. Mother church is also stronger for the contributions that our family has made to it. If only the King of Sweden was not the pathetic warmonger he is and if only the King of France would recognize both our common enemy and the truth that his family is the less to our noble and Imperial heritage.
    As my wounded reign continued the state of the realm continued to crumble. Without our rich Frankish holdings and without the oversight that my addled spirit should have commanded both the general well being and our revenues fell. I didn't even have the treasury to hold the various facets of society together.

11810206.png

One of the odd things that happened frequently is that there were as many of those attracted to my devotion to church and family as those that were opposed to it. However, while our gains were modest, the losses were terrible.
    11830829.png

Of these losses was the county of Ven...something. Realizing my lack of abilities I would try to reduce our direct possessions but the loss of vassals was tedious. We would shortly resubjugate them and give them to a different master.

11831004.png

While dealing with this distraction Burgundy once again left the fold. I felt it was imprudent to pursue the matter in one of my brief periods of lucidity.

11840201burgandyleaves.png

At around this point I was able to gain the upper hand in what I thought was a great victory. After this point Swedish armies would become sparse in Frankish lands and I would for a time enjoy the revenues of my own lands. I felt the King of Sweden had run into some unexpected trouble. However, while putting down revolts I didn't take much time to pursue this matter. It turns out that the so called "French" King had declared war on Sweden. Given that their banners were the same I never really noticed until too late.

11840521majorvictorywfr.png

One of the reasons I was unable to follow up on this information is that the Lord allowed a further test of me, I do not say he tested me, but like with Job allowed the test. Under this burden I was unable to stay awake for long periods and often retreated into my rooms. This prevented me from exercising the few talents that I had available (catatonic schizophrenia strikes).

11841004catatonicschizo.png

An interesting event then occurred, a distant relative died leaving me with a link to the throne of England. We can only hope that one day one of my nephews or grand nephews will sit on that throne.

11850623somedayicouldbe.png

After having set up a courtier in the County of Nantes he also turned his back on me. The blow was a hard one and one I was unable to counter

11850712nantesleaves.png

In the Year of Our Lord 1185 God specifically called me to crusade. I felt that there in battle I may be able to cast out these demons that tormented me by dieing in battle. Alas, that was not to be.

11850716godcalls.png

I had given Nantes to an older maiden aunt (I believe). As I had mentioned she had turned on me. Thank God such traitorous behavior was noticed by Heaven and the claim reverted to my person.

11850812thewitchdies.png

In 1187 my spirit broke and I, I admit it fully, murdered the noble Duke of Brittany who had served me faithfully through the war and helped in my reconquest of unfaithful vassals. I believe this is when my dukes, quite rightfully began to take counsel against me in a manner most unlike those who had fully betrayed my family. I have not asked my brother about this, though I should.

11851204murdermostfoul.png

Bern, who had probably cast off the yoke of Sweden turns to me and, as he is a holy man of God, I accept him.

11860106bernvassalizes.png

It is at almost the same time that my distant cousin Jean's first wife dies. He has fathered many children and loved his wife dearly. I see that like King David he has someone to warm his bed even in his old age as he has served me so well as my Marshall. May God grant him, his wife, and our family more children.

11860201secondmarriagef.png

I also ask the royal chronicler to explain the lack of immediate heirs. He explains that we have several, but do to the law of our throne not all are eligible . I change the law. This infuriates the new Duke of Brittany as he feels his position has been slighted. He is wrong, it is only just that the titles of our family are kept in the family.

11860214saliclaw.png

The county of Maine then declares independence. As I deal with yet another traitor (however justified) a resurgent Sweden begins to retake territory. The loss of Maine is even more galling as I had set it aside as a beneficence for the development of the local Bishop.

11860612bishopricleaves.png

Our Cousin the Count of Alexandria then rejoins us. I order him to take Swedish holdings in Africa and then sail north to help in Frankish lands. The voyage is expensive, and as of my relocation he still marches strong in the south of France.

11860627alexandriajoins.png

Once Maine is retaken I reward my loyal marshal with title to both the County of Maine and the mostly honorary title to the Duke of Anjou. I hope these claims by a stronger relation will one day ensure that Wester France is once again brought under the rule of our family.

11861023cmainedanjou.png

Not long after he joins with the other dukes and my council to beg my retirement. I am told that both he and my brother argued for my life. For this, in my best moments, I thank them.

11871016institutionaliz.png

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    BTW, who am I supposed to give the save files to?

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kayne Red Robe, it's in the second post.

If I missed any new people who want to play, post again.

EDIT: Also, we seem to mostly be NE France now? What are Robert's stats like and is he fertile unlike our previous crappy kings.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hoo boy, looks like I get to bend my prodigious (read: awful) talents towards reestablishing stability and order to the realm. This won't turn out horribly I am sure.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OK Kayne should have the files now. I don't remember Robert's stats but I recall him being militarily able, well rounded, but unimpressive. He should be able to bring the war to a conclusion. I had bled some of the N. French provinces to him early on in preparation. His intrigue is pretty lousy though so I think he can only have 4 personal holdings without getting dinged (with century and king bonus).

starkiller on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ha, looks like it was a rough ride. Poor King Godfrey.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well.

Huh.

Everything checks out, except that Robert is Ill and Severely Wounded, so I think we'd better get somebody prepped to play after me, because I don't think he's going to last too long. The good news is he has two sons, so the succession is secured.

Also: how did we end up Norman culture? Bleh.

I should get something posted up sometime tomorrow, I'm going to spend tonight figuring out what is going on.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If no one takes it by the time you're done I'll take it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I hadn't seen ill and I forgot about the wounded. If he doesn't go on campaign (muster capital) he should be fine. I've had severely wounded characters last for decades and or get healed. Ill is always a bad sign though...

As to the kids the first should be about eight right? Second is fairly young. Worst case it falls to our former Marshall but the eldest kid looks like he'll turn out all right and can be moved to his own county/duchy in a few years.

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You know what? Fuck it - sign me up. I've got enough of a feel for the game that I won't embarrass myself TOO badly, and I finally figured out where the saved games and screenshots are stored on my system (damn you, Windows 7!)

I won't be able to do anything tomorrow night (hockey practice), but Wednesday-Friday evenings this week look pretty open, plus I should have some time to wrap things up on Saturday afternoon if it comes down to it, so whenever Robert succumbs to his wound, I should be ready to take over with his heir.

shalmelo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Robert lasted all of two years, update forthcoming.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hopefully his children can restore the dynasty's virility if nothing else.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My apologies for the combination of large images and strangely small font, I realized a bit late that screencaps at my native resolution would probably break everyone's screens, but too small and they would be totally unreadable.

For a fun game, see if you can guess how many screencaps were immediately preceded by me yelling angrily at the game.

screencap0.png
    Godfrey has finally seen reason and retired to a monastery, with God's grace perhaps he shall lead a more calm and fulfilling life there. Even if not I am gladdened at least he will be alive. More than likely he will outlive me, I ask only the Lord grant me the time to undo some of the damage my brother has caused.

screencap2.png
    I immediately lower the amount of scutage due from our vassals, my brother's reign has greatly weakened the faith the nobles once had in our family and I cannot risk them abandoning us now.

screencap3.png
    The task at hand at first seems monumental, but while our realm is indeed under occupation and exhausted of war, it seems the Swedes are equally undermanned. The can muster but a single army in Burgundy proper, and it is lead by a fool. I have ordered Alphonse, our Lord Marshal, to muster what troops he can in Gelre and repulse the last Swedes, while the Alexandrians reclaim our Kingdom.

screencap4.png
    screencap5.png
    Alphonse proves more than up to the task. Shortly thereafter the Swedes sue for a white peace, which I gladly accept.

screencap6.png
    screencap7.png
    Sensing our weakness, the jackals of Europe descend on us even as the Swedish armies withdraw.

screencap8.png
    The French King offers a patently insulting peace, which we have no choice but to accept, our Kingdom can stomach no more war, famine and disease ravish our lands and no troops will muster to our banners. I thank the Lord in his infinite mercy that the Sicilian King has not seen fit to follow his words with action.

screencap9t.png
    Perfidious scum! They preferred my brother's madness which allowed them free reign to act as they wished. Perhaps it is God's will that Burgundy be no more... No! I will not allow it!

screencap11.png
    I am not certain what keeps me standing day to day, but for the moment, I am well, or as well as I have been in some time.

screencap12.png
    Once again I am forced to ask Alphonse to make brick without straw, and once again he does his duty. When this war is over I shall have to reward him with some title or another.

screencap13.png
    I now perhaps understand my brother better, the constant stresses and disappointments of rulership strain even a sane mind. Rest in peace Alphonse, may you find rewards greater than I could give you in heaven.

screencap14.png
    The pope calls for the peace of God, I have no choice but to accept, though my heart mourns at the loss of Alphonse for nothing. Perhaps fortunately, the Count of Liege spurns the dictates of the Mother Church and the war continues.

screencap15.png
    I have little time left now I fear, may God grant my sons a lengthier and more peaceful reign than I was given.

screencap16.png
    screencap17.png
    On November 25, in the year of our Lord 1189, King Robert I of Burgundy at last gave in to the mortal wound he received years ago battling the Swedish forces. By far the shortest reign of any Burgundian King, his was notable only that the realm did not disintegrate under him completely. He is succeeded by his eldest son Alexander, a youth of 9 years.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow. Sorry about that. Are the Sicilians still local or did you send them home? Also, was the conquest of Liege complete? They probably got ex-communicated for that. Robert _does_ have good stats for 9 and he'll probably get that energetic event if he survives. However, with low prestige the realm is probably going to fracture.

Can we set a goal of having a kinsman as Duke of Burgandy?

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hoooo boy. Good luck shalmelo, your reign will hopefully be a long one.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure we've already fractured. Also that stability is baaad.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Sicilians have never sent an army up north, and God willing they never will. We're still technically at war with them and Liege, Liege itself is under siege so hopefully that should be easy enough to sort out. It seems like Realm Duress went away with Robert, so there's a silver lining at least. But yes, stability is awful, half our territory is either sacked or disease ridden, and I didn't trust any of our courtiers enough to split off any territory, so whoever is up next will have to trim our demesne a bit.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oy vey, this is going to be interesting. I'll PM you my email address for the save file, Kayne, and should be able to tackle Alexander's reign starting tomorrow evening.

shalmelo on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At least if we implode we'll be in good company.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We should be okay, we just need a decade or so of peace to recover, and even if we get totally stomped on there's another century or so of game before EU.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Two centuries, actually!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Got the save. I'm heading out now, but will try to get Alexander's reign underway when I get home tonight.

shalmelo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm surprised we still have so much land, Godfrey's reign wasn't quite the massive collapse it sounded like. Assuming things don't degenerate too badly from here, we should still be in a decent position to rebuild.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png