As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[One Piece] His dream has changed but innuendo is forever

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, the info came out somehow, because pirates on Sabaody known about it.

And I think that's exactly the sort of the thing the Government would do - gets people gunning for a bounty without thinking spreading news about what they might have done to deserve it, preserving the Governments status.

Re.: getting a high bounty, I believe either Kidd or Law was mentioned as having caused terrible devastation and many deaths to get his bounty. Pretty sure it was Kidd.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Arkady wrote: »
    Trafalgar Law is now the coolest supernova not currently a straw hat crew member.

Truth. I always did wonder what the supernovae did to garner such fame. Considering the shit the Straw Hats got up.

They actually committed acts of piracy.

Actual piracy? In One Piece? Man, what's the world coming to.
    Still, I'd be interested to know what they could possibly do short of completely glassing every island they come across to have a bounty comparable to Luffy since he's
    Taken out 2 warlords and assaulted and caused the complete destruction of CP9 and Enies Lobby.
    Why would the gov't give them bounties for some of that? Nobody in the public knows they beat up CP9 or two warlords, so I don't think they'd go and announce it by pumping their bounties up.
    Actually they pinned the destruction of Enies Lobby on the straw hats thus everyone got a bounty. And while they gave credit to Smoker for defeating and apprehending Crocodile, they did up Luffy's bounty.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just wanted to say that the One Day opening by The Rootless is an awesome song.

And the 4th color walk book is pretty great. I need to get around to scanning these somehow for backgrounds...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    I can't believe it took us this long to fill up this thread. We used to go through these lightening quick.

War brings threadconomic growth.

We have no war now, the homefront has settled down.

Godfather on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yea, things have settled down a lot, they're just starting the 2nd half of the story so I'm sure we're going to be building back up slowly

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if they're going to switch back to 2 chapters per episode after Marineford is over, for the Gray Terminal arc.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I picked up the latest One Piece manga this past weekend, and was kinda surprised...
    The flashback filler wasn't in it. It went straight from "Let's meet in 2 years!" to "And now, 2 years later!"

Guess it's gonna be a separate release?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Grey Terminal happens before the skip.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ugh the Gray Terminal was so boring.

Godfather on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that arc

I thought it was fun. People just got too used to the NONSTOP ACTION of the War arc, just like people who are complaining about the less energetic arc now. It's fine! This is the status quo, that whole thing was something extraordinary and it wouldn't be as exciting if it was like that for another 500 chapters.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    New chapter's out
    Man, Van der Decken's devil fruit is broken as crap.

Also, One Piece: Gigant Battle is being localized for Europe.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/10/one-piece-gigant-battle-stretches-into-europe/

However it's for the DS so yay imports!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    darunia106 wrote: »
    New chapter's out

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/10/one-piece-gigant-battle-stretches-into-europe/

Except he does have the touch limit we speculated on several chapters ago, that tones it down a lot.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »
    New chapter's out

Except he does have the touch limit we speculated on several chapters ago, that tones it down a lot.
    True. Ussop would be the perfect opponent for him. He can't touch him!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New Chapter stuff:
    Someone just pointed this out to me, but way back in Chapter 84, Hachi mentioned "Aside from 1 person, I am the strongest Swordsman on Fishman Island" Now we know he was referring to Hyouzou the assassin. Damn he just keeps bringing up random old quotes and making them important.

Also, whats the odds that in some hilarious accident, Luffy manages to remove Vander Deckens glove and reset the Princess target to himself. He then shows just how ridiculous his Haki has gotten by dodging EVERYTHING that gets thrown at him.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New Chapter stuff:
    Someone just pointed this out to me, but way back in Chapter 84, Hachi mentioned "Aside from 1 person, I am the strongest Swordsman on Fishman Island" Now we know he was referring to Hyouzou the assassin. Damn he just keeps bringing up random old quotes and making them important.

Also, whats the odds that in some hilarious accident, Luffy manages to remove Vander Deckens glove and reset the Princess target to himself. He then shows just how ridiculous his Haki has gotten by dodging EVERYTHING that gets thrown at him.
    SOMETHING hilarious is going to happen with that gloved hand.

Not sure what yet, though.

And that's awesome about the assassin guy, I was wondering if we were supposed to know who that was.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »
    New chapter's out

True. Ussop would be the perfect opponent for him. He can't touch him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIB4GB8Olss&feature=related

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, when I read that, the song started playing in my head. I didn't want to comment on that.

Man, I don't miss how the late 80s/early 90s looked the slightest bit. I do like the song, though.

RockinX on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OUEEEFF
    Can't wait for the Jimbei/ Luffy meet up.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Good chapter.

Looking forward to the fights too. These are gonna be awesome.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there a place for me in this thread? I've only watched all the DVDs from FUNimation. I haven't read the manga. I want to, but there's too dang much.

Uh, I don't want to get spoiled. Is there a spoiler-free thread for people like me?

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've only watched the show as well (BTW, I don't know how far the DVDs go, but you can get the bulk of the show from Hulu and the Funimation website as well, if you want to be caught up on that)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ferquin wrote: »
    Is there a place for me in this thread? I've only watched all the DVDs from FUNimation. I haven't read the manga. I want to, but there's too dang much.

Uh, I don't want to get spoiled. Is there a spoiler-free thread for people like me?

Welcome to the crew!

As long you have the self control to not click on spoiler tags, you'll be fine. Though I do recommend reading the manga. I can get through a volume of the manga in about 30min. and once you get caught up by the time its animated you can watch it again for the first time.

It is daunting, but its well worth it.

EvilOtaku on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Unfortunately, this is all thread we can get. After the anime massacre it took great measures to ensure this thread didn't get tanked with it. However, you are not alone in being an anime-only watcher, so people do a good job of spoiler tagging the manga stuff.

If you are sticking to the funimation dub releases then that might be a problem. I think the dub is up to the beginning of Water 7 now, so you are about 3-4 big arcs behind the subbed version.

Umm....I don't know what to tell you on that front. The anime is discussed pretty openly.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've purchased all up to the latest DVD (which just came out...I think...last month?), which finished the Skypiea arc. Last I saw, the Straw Hats fell from the sky into what appears to be a Navy outpost.

I know that the official subs on the FUNimation site skips far ahead and has been matching the Japanese release, but I kinda want to stick to watching it in order. I wish FUNimation would at least sub everything in between and post them, but I understand they want to sell DVDs too. Next volume comes out in April. I'm currently suffering from withdrawal.

I suppose my only other option is reading the manga, but I honestly don't have space to put 50+ volumes of manga (or that much cash to buy it all). I'd certainly love to read them though. I just...can't. And no, I don't know anybody who has 'em so borrowing is out of the question. Which is why I've been sticking to the anime.

I guess I'll just have to deal with spoilers, even though I won't know what you're all talking about for however many years it takes FUNimation to catch up on the DVDs. God, they're release schedule is slow. They claim they've recorded far up ahead into the 200s and have been on recording hiatus ever since. I don't see why they can't just keep cranking out the DVDs monthly and continuously record more episodes. But I digress...

Out of curiosity, is there any changes from adapting the anime from the manga? Like manga-only vs. anime-only characters or filler arcs, character quirks, events, dialogue, names, etc.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You might check Hulu. It has every episode that's been released subbed or dubbed as far as I know. Starting at the beginning. There was a sizable gap in the middle, since they were adding 2 or 3 episodes a week starting at both the beginning, and the point in the series at which they started getting eps from Funimation and running to the current.

When I started watching it the gap was about 150 eps maybe? It should be down significantly now.

edit: Ugg, shit. looks like the subbed eps on Hulu do stop at 190, then pick up again at 391. boo. So maybe the gap was bigger than I thought. I think for me it started around Alabasta? I just watched fansubs to fill in the gap, but quality is definitely lower. and also Funi gets no money for that so it's less than ideal.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I'm only sticking to legit releases. I support the arts. And pirates. Not fansub or scanlation pirates but One Piece pirates.

Oh well, maybe I'll go back and rewatch my DVDs in Japanese or something.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Out of curiosity, is there any changes from adapting the anime from the manga? Like manga-only vs. anime-only characters or filler arcs, character quirks, events, dialogue, names, etc.

There's a couple of things here and there that have been changed from the manga to the anime adaptation. First, a couple of events are moved around and altered near the beginning. Episode 1 of the anime is actually chapter 2 of the manga, and chapter 1 of the manga was the story of how Luffy got his Straw Hat and set off on his adventure to become Pirate King (you also find out how Luffy got that scar on his face in the manga, which the anime conveniently overlooks). Zoro's flashback happens during his introduction during the Axe-Hand Morgan storyline, Nami doesn't appear at all until the storyline where Buggy is introduced, and in the manga, the storyline with Gaimon (the guy trapped in a box) happens before Usopp is introduced as opposed to after.

A couple of things are also changed in the interest of censorship. The biggest example would be Zeff, who loses his leg not because he had it torn off to save Sanji's life, but ate his leg in order to keep from starving to death on the island he and Sanji were shipwrecked on. Other instances are a bit more minor, like Bellemere being shot in the head rather than through the torso, and things like that.

Once the anime gets to Logue Town is about where we start getting filler. The biggest things to keep in mind that up to where you are in the anime, the Apis, Rainbow Mist, and the storyline that happens immediately after Skypiea (Navy Base G8) are all filler. There's a lot of other filler too that isn't part of a larger storyline that'd take forever to point out but the general rule of thumb is if it involves the Straw Hats helping out some snot-nozed brat, it's probably filler.

The manga also has these "cover" stories where instead of a splash image you might usually find to act as the cover image for a chapter, you instead have a a picture depicting a character (or characters) the Straw Hats have encountered before having their own little side adventure that usually tends to tie back into the main story later on. The only two to be animated are "Little Buggy's Big Adventure" and the story where Colby and Helmeppo join the Navy under the command of Garp. (So if you wonder why Fullbody and Jango appear seemingly at random at the end of Alabasta, that's why!)

That's about the gist of the differences between the anime and manga up to the point where you are.

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, the fillers are still entertaining. I'm usually pretty annoyed with filler, but for some reason, it works in One Piece.

Uh, so how did Luffy get his scar? Or is it part of a future plot point? If it is, then don't tell me.

Also, I've never quite been clear on how Koina died. Was it really simply just illness?

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The scar isn't actually an important plot point, just an example of Luffy being stupid as usual! Luffy got it by stabbing himself in the face with a knife in an attempt to impress Shanks and his crew in hopes they'd let him onto their ship. The anime probably left that out because they didn't want kids doing the same thing and instead poking their eyes out!

Kuina simply died of falling down stairs and breaking her neck. That's really all there was to it.

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hrm. I guess I have to rewatch that episode. For some reason, I thought it was illness.

Thanks.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You might have mixed her up with Usopp's mom. She's the one who died of illness! :)

Timestones on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Perhaps you are right. Forgot about Usopp's mom.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chapter 615:
    I was expecting that to be Fisher Tiger's grave when I first saw it, which reminded me of a question: did we ever find out what happened to him? I gather he's dead now, but I don't remember if we know how.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So, I laughed my ass off when I realized the "Endless Vearth" was the fuckin' moon. So is Eneru gone or does he come back later for retribution? I didn't quite understand where he came from or why he left his original homeland. Where was his original homeland?

Again, if it's a future plot point, then don't tell me. Or please explain it without future spoilers.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Chapter 615:
    I was expecting that to be Fisher Tiger's grave when I first saw it, which reminded me of a question: did we ever find out what happened to him? I gather he's dead now, but I don't remember if we know how.

He's dead for sure. How is unknown but I'd venture a guess that one dude doesn't lay seige to a city as important as that and make it out alive

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So, I laughed my ass off when I realized the "Endless Vearth" was the fuckin' moon. So is Eneru gone or does he come back later for retribution? I didn't quite understand where he came from or why he left his original homeland. Where was his original homeland?

Again, if it's a future plot point, then don't tell me. Or please explain it without future spoilers.

From what I could tell he simply came from another part of Sky Island. I think Skypiea was just the major part. At one point they mentioned that he came with his follower from somewhere else, and they had dials that didn't exist on that part of Sky Island.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Enel nuked his home island.

Because he's a lunatic.

He's a Skyperson but he mutilated his wings for that thunder do wopper.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah, okay. I didn't realize there were other, farther out sections of the sky islands.

He mutilated his wings for that big drum mandala thing? Geez.

Wait, if sky people have wings, how come the ancient Shandorians had wings too?

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    THAT is a future plot point, admittedly one that hasn't really come full circle so nobody really knows the answer yet. Without giving too much away, Enel had his own cover story that covered some of this.

Timestones on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chapter 615:

He's dead for sure. How is unknown but I'd venture a guess that one dude doesn't lay seige to a city as important as that and make it out alive
    It's a massive plot point in this arc and was explained quite clearly about 5(?) chapters ago. He was heavily wounded in a battle and needed a blood transfusion to survive. None of the humans around would give their blood to a fishman so FT eventually died from his injuries.

Bad-Beat on
This discussion has been closed.