As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Now an old thread.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am listening to "In a Big Country" for the first time

This song is awesome

Oh man, I agree with UV on something music related. Time to spend the next hour listening to nothing but Cannibal Corpse.

From the 20 free songs, the only one I really liked was the X Japan song, but I love the shit out of it. I would totally have bought that as normal DLC.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If it's here, it's official. HMX does not update this website until they allow the song to clear the quarantine. If you're talking about Floating Vibes, it has a page now.

Yeah, I was looking for "Floating Vibes" yesterday afternoon. Guess it went up for real sometime later. thanks!

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone somehow have a spare Lego:RB export code? Like, the actual code to enable the export.

Or I guess in theory I could sign in with my account to enable it and my brother could sign in and buy the export for his own account/Xbox.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seriously how do I check the progress on the 'Splosion Man Theme? Is there any way to see how many more approvals it needs to pass?

Literally debating spending ONE HUNDERED DOLLARS to push this sucker through.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is it me or is the new guitar controller with 102 buttons incredibly intimidating?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys!

Apparently German internet's favorite word is "nein" and it's not letting our people over at Gamescom do a whole lot, so next week's DLC announcement is brought to you by me!

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 3 system (Aug. 24):

• Disturbed – “Another Way to Die”
    • Disturbed – “Asylum”
    • Disturbed – “The Animal”
    • Crash Kings – “Mountain Man”
    • The Veer Union – “Seasons” +
    • We Are the Fallen – “Bury Me Alive”

(All tracks are original master recordings)
    (These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation 3 system Aug. 25)

These tracks will be available for purchase as “Disturbed Pack 03” and “Universal Motown Republic Rock Pack 01,” as well as individual tracks, on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system, and as individual tracks only on Wii. Tracks marked with “+” will also be available in the family-friendly LEGO® Rock Band Music Store.

Price: $1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song
    $2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song
    $5.49, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points) for Disturbed Pack 03 and Universal Motown Republic Rock Pack 01
    ** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

To discuss this DLC please visit the official discussion thread in Community's Greatest Hits.

For all DLC song credits and other juicy details you can check out The Music page.

And for awesome background information on this content you can head on over to the Rock Band 'Zine for brand new articles!

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Its as though we already knew this band was coming!

Edit: DAMMNNN YOU AGAINNNNN!!!!!

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is it me or is the new guitar controller with 102 buttons incredibly intimidating?

It is, until you think about it as a stringed guitar. And even then, the buttons only matter if you're doing pro mode. Otherwise, you still use the 5 frets like always.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

It is, until you think about it as a stringed guitar. And even then, the buttons only matter if you're doing pro mode. Otherwise, you still use the 5 frets like always.

I have never played a real guitar, so it is intriguing, and also a good way to make the whole genre at least a little fresh again.

But damn I am not looking forward to the first time I get my hands on that thing and suck.

Also, woo Crash Kings!

chamberlain on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Isn't that basically Evanescence with a new singer?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Isn't that basically Evanescence with a new singer?

It's Evanescence with an American Idol contestant.

To be fair, I really liked Carly Smithson. When she came back and did a duet with Michael Johns, it was pretty damn good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_2sO_IVa5s

They're both better than the majority of recent contestants.

Here's Bury Me Alive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzTZeeMCUBk&feature=av2e

Fawst on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "AH KEN WAY KUP"

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've been giving a listen to RB3's set list this past hour and I just realized. I do know In The Meantime! Shit, I loved this song when I was in high school.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    lol yeah, that's one of those "what the hell is that song CALLED?" songs.

Kind of like Corduroy with Pearl Jam. The song was played so damn much on the radio that they just never thought to say what the hell the name was.

Kinda wish we were getting this, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfbn3ieVUYU

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I also want Mungo City from Spacehog.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    Kinda wish we were getting this, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfbn3ieVUYU

fuck yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I would buy a multi-song Hum pack so hard.

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    chiablochiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope rock band 3 will allow us to import music from 1+2 without having to buy a stupid "license".

chiablo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, I just realized. RB3 would be the 1st one without a token Bon Jovi song right?

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    chiablo wrote: »
    I hope rock band 3 will allow us to import music from 1+2 without having to buy a stupid "license".

Don't hold your breath on that one.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    chiablo wrote: »

Existing Rock Band 1 export will work like it already does in 2

I'm expecting RB2 to get a RB1-style disc export. So, I expect a 5-10$ fee to export RB2 as much as you want, and once you've done it RB3 will recognize it.

A straight up free export from RB2 will never happen.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A free RB2 export key would have been a sweet pre-order bonus for RB3.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just want what I would consider to be the ultimate "oh shit it's THAT song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQ7qOCDFYQ

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow. We Are the Fallen are VERY Evanescence.

...man. Much as I want to support fellow Arkansan Ben Moody, I just can't get into this. I think the first Evanescence album scratched my itch for melodramatic goth rock for the next 25 years or so.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I second "Mungo City." I've wanted that in a band game for like ever.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh! In a Big Country! I know this song too! Ok, I'm changing my tune. This setlist is actually pretty good.

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

...man. Much as I want to support fellow Arkansan Ben Moody, I just can't get into this. I think the first Evanescence album scratched my itch for melodramatic goth rock for the next 25 years or so.

The thing that always pissed me off about Evanescence is that they were lauded and praised so much as a breath of fresh air when their first album hit, but in reality they were simply copying off a sub-genre that had been going in Europe for over a decade.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The thing that always pissed me off about Evanescence is that they were lauded and praised so much as a breath of fresh air when their first album hit, but in reality they were simply copying off a sub-genre that had been going in Europe for over a decade.

Christian Goth-Rock was in Europe? Wait, but Ben Moody said that he invented that smooth Evanescence sound! :P

I liked the first album when it came out. Then I liked the songs less and less until only a couple really appealed to me anymore. They're still fun in Rock Band, but we haven't gotten their holy grail yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSC0zQnLIWQ

That guitar hook fucking owns me.

Fawst on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You can't fault the bands that break through for that, though. The only way I can see that being an argument is if you're also the type of person who thinks bands shouldn't sign to major record labels - or else they've abandoned their fans and roots for the almighty dollar.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »

You can't fault the bands that break through for that, though. The only way I can see that being an argument is if you're also the type of person who thinks bands shouldn't sign to major record labels - or else they've abandoned their fans and roots for the almighty dollar.

You can still hate the fact that a band is getting undeserved praise.

It'd be like the press lauding Vanilla Ice for inventing hip-hop, or something, and him just going along with it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Re: Evanescence

I wouldn't mind a few cuts from their first album. I enjoyed it back in the day.

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »

You can still hate the fact that a band is getting undeserved praise.

It'd be like the press lauding Vanilla Ice for inventing hip-hop, or something, and him just going along with it.

This.

I don't hate the fact that Evanescene made $Texas off the success of their first album (nor do I hate bands that sign to major labels, I tend to be happy for them actually getting paid), but the fact that Moody was such an arrogant douche (and to a lesser extent Amy Lee) about how original they were.

At least cite influences and credit the fact that you took production and orchestration cues from bands like Tristania, Lacuna Coil, and Within Temptation, instead of claiming that you're awesome for developing such a unique sound.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, "Mountain Man" by Crash Kings. I fucking love that song. :D

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Man, "Mountain Man" by Crash Kings. I fucking love that song. :D

It's a great one for singing badly in the car when no one else is around.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So Harmonix responded to the setlist leaks.

http://vimeo.com/14293335

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh my dear lord that's HILARIOUS.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JyrenB wrote: »
    So Harmonix responded to the setlist leaks.

http://vimeo.com/14293335

:^:

<3 Hamronix

The newly revealed songs:
    Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold
    Caught in a Mosh - Anthrax
    Centerfold - The J. Geils Band
    China Grove - The Doobie Brothers

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh and just because:

Heard this on the radio the other day (flipped my shit), then saw it last night on the top 100 songs from the 90's (flipped my shit again).

Yeah, this should be in RB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcohzJvviQ&feature=fvw

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And god damn, I <3 Hamronix! That rules!

Fawst on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They had to pick vimeo so I can't see it at work. Great.

EDIT: "Who likes the Doobie Brothers? Cause we got one of them!"

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    They had to pick vimeo so I can't see it at work. Great.

Spoiler for people who haven't clicked it yet, because it's funnier if you don't see it coming:
    They go on and on about how people shouldn't trust Giant Bomb and RockBandAide and keep talking about how only official news is on Rock Band.com and to only trust Harmonix for song information. And that all the leaks are fake and they would never do something like leak the entire setlist early like that.

While doing all of this they are scrolling through all the songs in the background, confirming the leak.

FyreWulff on