As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NES turns 25 today! Come reminisce here!

anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it.Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
So the 25th anniversary of the North American launch of the NES today, so I thought it would only be appropriate to make a thread to recall our fondest memories of the NES or how you plan to celebrate this day/week/month. The system started some awesome franchieses that we love to this day including Zelda, Samus, and of course Mario. And whether you had one, didn't, loved it, hated it, or weren't even old enough to enjoy it, it changed gaming forever and helped define the hobby we love so much. I think I might go bust out Super Mario Bros. 3 today or this weekend to celebrate it's birthday. Now you're playing with power!

nz3s4z.jpg

Steam: offday
anoffday on

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blue screen of death followed by a combination of blowing and spitting into cartridges were the good old days.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hope I never get tired of playing some of the classics :) I was over a mates house the other day who's Nintendo freakin' crazy and we played a game called Power Blade and hot damn! Where was this game when I was in my youth! I'm far too shit at NES games in my old age :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiluQeNoBT4

Check out 2:40. That's on the first stage!!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Suddenly having strong flashbacks to playing Ninja Gaiden with a NES Advantage.

Oh, my callow youth.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    dirkdirdendirkdirden Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Putting in the second game to hold down the first game in order to make it play was classic. Seriously what the fuck was wrong with the NES. No other cartridge system had that problem.

Shout out to the greats.
    Dragon Warrior 1-4
    Final Fantasy
    River City Random
    Bubble bobble
    Life force
    Mega man
    Ninja G’
    Zelda 2 (yeah that’s right fuck Zelda 1…..ok I love Zelda 1 too)
    But best NES game has to be Blaster mother fucking Master.

dirkdirden on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, it was Christmas of like 1989 or 1990 when we got our NES. We were at our grandparents' place for the holiday, where all major events for the family are held (it was a freaking huge house too, there were two living rooms with a set of double-doors between them that'd only swing open during Christmas time). We were gathered around the Christmas tree, opening gifts, and there was this big-ass box that was marked for me and my three brothers. I can't remember which of us tore it open, but I was there damn it. That star-dotted box, with NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM before me. Holy shit. I had already been playing video games via the Atari, and in my head I screamed, "MORE VIDEO GAMES YAY."

My brothers, cousins, and I pretty much had a "screw this" attitude to the rest of the gift opening session and ran to the other living room where the TV was, and after hooking it up partook in some Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. This same story pretty much repeated a year or so later when we got Super Mario Bros. 3. Screw presents - to the TV room, hook up the NES, and just let our eyes glaze over to good times.

Henroid on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This would be a good thread to also recommend NES games other may have missed like TeeMan did with Power Blade. I'm not sure many people missed this one, but how awesome was duck tales? Remember when video games based on tv shows and movies didn't always suck?

anoffday on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    dirkdirden wrote: »
    Putting in the second game to hold down the first game in order to make it play was classic. Seriously what the fuck was wrong with the NES. No other cartridge system had that problem.

The "pins" that connected to the NES cartridge would wear out over time, both due to corrosion and the pins themselves getting bent more and more outwards over time, thus making poorer and poorer contact with the cartridges as time went on.

Fortunately a $10 replacement part is easy to install and pretty much any NES can be fixed to like-new working condition by doing so.

Edit: Also Nintendo's piracy lockout chip was extremely temperamental, often exacerbated by the poor cartridge connection.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kick Master was an awesome NES game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OjwbrFkUaY

I really dug Pat the NES Punk's marathon, he played his collection of NES games (pretty sure he owns every US NTSC game except Stadium Events, it was 750+ games I believe) for around 30 hours starting Saturday. Great way to celebrate the 25th anniversary while raising money for Child's Play and showing off the entire US library.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got an NES in 1993 in 3rd grade used from a guy who went on to train for the Olympics. My dad paid $85 for it and it came with:

Mario Bros 3
    Legend of Zelda 1&2
    TMNT the Arcade game
    Gauntlet
    Cystalis
    Metroid
    Rollergames

That dude had amazing taste which in turn gave me the bests tastes. I will always wonder who that man was and what happened to him.

Also once I got the NES my life was ruined by video games. Yep.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My 23 year old NES. I got it for my 4th birthday after my cousins got it for Christmas and I fell in love with SMB. Best birthday ever? Oh yes.

I just brought it back from my cottage where I had kept it for a loooong time. It's seen a lot of use over the years, but it's still running. I bought that stand for it recently at Value Village for $2.50.
    nesstand.jpg

Here's my collection. I really need to get around to setting these up on the shelf proper.
    nescollection.jpg

Here's to another 25 NES. I bet you'll still be running even then.

EDIT: I was looking at the picture and realized SMB3 was missing... panicked, then realized it was in the system. Phew!

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hah, I got mine at the age of 4 as well, in 1989 however.

It's still hooked up in the living room. I'm gonna go snap a picture later.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Indy Heat was fantastic, especially in multiplayer (4 players!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OwrcBNcBBI

Also a guy here in Texas helped modify an NES Four Score for me so it could play Famicom Four-Way games. This means with Game Genie codes I can enjoy 3P in Stinger (cool Konami shooter, localization of a Twinbee game) and 4P in Super Dodgeball (don't have that one yet). I also use it for 4P Kakutou Densetsu, which is a really cool Kunio game. There's some other nifty 4P Kunio games that I'd like to check out at some point.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah, the NES, my first real digital crush.

My dad picked one up for our family for Christmas of '85 (was a Deluxe Set that came with the Zapper, Rob-the-Robot, Gyromite, and a Duck-Hunt cartridge), and my gaming journey began. Whilst we had an Intellevision prior to that and my dad was a text-adventure junkie on our Kaypro computer, the NES was the first thing to really get its hooks into a 3-1/2 year old me. From the first time the dog laughed it's ass off at my inability to shoot ducks, I was hooked.

Although to this day I still haven't beaten the original Super Mario Bros.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remember watching my older brother play Mike Tyson's Punch Out. My younger brother and I would go into the other room when he would get up to Bald Bull and Soda Popinski, because we were bad luck for him you see.

I am grateful that my brother woke up at 6am one morning to find me playing TMNT. I had woken up at like 4:30 or 5am and started playing, because that was the best game ever. When he came into the room I was in the Technodome already. He then witnessed me beating the game, and thank god because noone ever believes me until he backs me up. And even then They thought I was making it up when I told them the last level you fight kangaroos and spacemen. But I showed them years later on an emulator when I got to the room before shredder, but I cannot get past that damn hallway where two spacemen come after you and there is no room to jump. How does a 5 year old me beat a game that I can't beat today?

Buddies on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The lore in my family is that my mother went into labor with me and my uncle gave my brother and sister the NES to keep them busy while the adults were running around.

I think that makes us fraternal twins or something.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Here's my systems and games, see which ones you're able to recognize:
    P7270027.jpg
    P7270022.jpg
    P7270023.jpg
    P7270024.jpg
    P7270025.jpg
    P7270026.jpg

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am a crazy NES fan.

Back in the day my uncle worked at a rental place and would buy tons of NES games and rent them out; this meant he had a big supply that he could lend me as well. While I didn't own a lot of NES games, at maximum I was borrowing 40 games from him. I got to play all the classics like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior. When I was in middle school I sort of outgrew them and begrudgingly gave them back to him.

Then I met this kid on the bus who had a bunch of old NES games in his attic that he told me he didn't care about, and he'd give them to me for $5 (I have no idea how the conversation got to that point). It included Zelda, Silent Service (a submarine sim), and Bart vs. the Space Mutants. I don't remember how many it was, but it brought my total up to 21 NES games which was all I had for years.

Just two days ago, my place of employment had its yearly auction where they sell old things from local schools that don't need them anymore. I went over with a coworker of mine to pick through it before auction; we essentially get first dibs, the idea is that one school's junk might be another's treasure. It's mainly for recirculating useful stuff, but it's accepted that we can pull some things for our own use as well.

My friend started yelling for me to come over. I went and looked and he had found three boxes of old video games, including a NES with two controllers, two Advantages, two Max controllers and the Zapper; a SNES with its controllers and Mario Paint mouse; 8 SNES games and 43 NES games, most of them with their manuals. Yoink. Pretty excited about that, I still need to split it up with him but he mainly wants the SNES stuff.

In recent years I kind of rediscovered the NES and have read about it in-depth, the crazy tricks and things they had to do to get the games working. Currently I am in the process of making my own NES game(s), though the process is really slow. :) I have long gaps where I don't do anything, but I haven't given up. I even have a flash cart so I can test out my game on the actual hardware (and it works great).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm older than the NES.. Kinda weird to think about. I actually never owned one but a friend of mine did. I'd go over all the time to play Super Mario Bros. It got me started in gaming. Tried to convince my mom to get me one. Got me a Gameboy instead. At the time I was disappointed cause I didn't want a tiny (at the time...) thing instead of a full system but looking back it was a pretty good deal because I had some awesome games for that thing. I miss Link's Awakening. It's the best Zelda, I don't care what anyone says.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Radical, Sporky, looking forward to your games!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, here's a new NES game a guy made recently and is currently selling, based on I Want to Be The Guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQzmvefrl5w

Here's a NES game that another guy I know is working on, and I'm really impressed by it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFoBdeLDVc8

And here are two underappreciated NES games that I love. The first is Gun Nac, a space shooter that is just really solid with a nice 16-bit gen style weapon upgrade system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYzBwgRd-zg

And the second is Shatterhand, a side scrolling beat-em-up/Megaman style game with awesome graphics for the NES and a fun powerup system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ-42KqgwXE

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love videogames

and I love penny-arcade

and it all started with the NES

to this day I'm a Nintendo whore though I also dabble with everyone else. really I'm just a whore with a soft spot for Nintendo.

but yeah videogames woooo! NESNESNES

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I bought that Battle Kid game, it's the one in pink bubble wrap in my games/systems shots. And damn it's hard hahaha...

The guy who made it (Sivak) was at the convention I bought it at (SGC 2010). Nice kid!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One time I landed the plane in Top Gun.

One time I beat the fucking dam level in TMNT.

I can prove neither of these things, and I'm only mostly certain that I hallucinated neither.

Monger on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The guardian legend was always my favorite game. So good.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know what game is the devil? Captain Skyhawk. I actually made it a fair amount of ways into the game when I was a kid.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was 2 years old when they bought me the NES.

The only thing i knew how to play for about 2 years was duck hunt. then i started learning Super Mario Bros. Then Kickle Cubicle. Then TLOZ.

Then My last game for the system was the amazing Kirby's Adventure, which to this day has the most special place in my heart as the 'best game i ever played'.

My NES still works. I cant play Duck Hunt anymore without thinking of my grandfather who taught me how to play. It just brings back the best memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dghs2GCqpl0

Then there is the Orange Ocean Selection Screen Music from Kirby's Adventure.

A song that brings tears to my eyes every time i hear it.

Talkc on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am a crazy NES fan.

Back in the day my uncle worked at a rental place and would buy tons of NES games and rent them out; this meant he had a big supply that he could lend me as well. While I didn't own a lot of NES games, at maximum I was borrowing 40 games from him. I got to play all the classics like Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior. When I was in middle school I sort of outgrew them and begrudgingly gave them back to him.

Then I met this kid on the bus who had a bunch of old NES games in his attic that he told me he didn't care about, and he'd give them to me for $5 (I have no idea how the conversation got to that point). It included Zelda, Silent Service (a submarine sim), and Bart vs. the Space Mutants. I don't remember how many it was, but it brought my total up to 21 NES games which was all I had for years.

Just two days ago, my place of employment had its yearly auction where they sell old things from local schools that don't need them anymore. I went over with a coworker of mine to pick through it before auction; we essentially get first dibs, the idea is that one school's junk might be another's treasure. It's mainly for recirculating useful stuff, but it's accepted that we can pull some things for our own use as well.

My friend started yelling for me to come over. I went and looked and he had found three boxes of old video games, including a NES with two controllers, two Advantages, two Max controllers and the Zapper; a SNES with its controllers and Mario Paint mouse; 8 SNES games and 43 NES games, most of them with their manuals. Yoink. Pretty excited about that, I still need to split it up with him but he mainly wants the SNES stuff.

In recent years I kind of rediscovered the NES and have read about it in-depth, the crazy tricks and things they had to do to get the games working. Currently I am in the process of making my own NES game(s), though the process is really slow. :) I have long gaps where I don't do anything, but I haven't given up. I even have a flash cart so I can test out my game on the actual hardware (and it works great).
    That's awesome. Keep us updated.

Also, what kind of awesome school had SNES and NES games?

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I bought that Battle Kid game, it's the one in pink bubble wrap in my games/systems shots. And damn it's hard hahaha...

The guy who made it (Sivak) was at the convention I bought it at (SGC 2010). Nice kid!

Yeah, I didn't bother with it because it's not my sort of game, I'd rather experience something easy but beautiful than something that makes you tear your hair out. I hope miau gets his game out someday, it reminds me of a Knytt game which would be perfect.
    anoffday wrote: »
    Also, what kind of awesome school had SNES and NES games?

I have no idea, and I have no indication of where it came from, and I don't necessarily care. :D

Possibly a "challenged" kids' teaching area where sometimes they are just being kept busy, or possibly someone brought it in for something after school and forgot about it. Doubtless it languished in somebody's closet for years.

A lot of the manuals have codes and such written in the back. :)

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    buddmanbuddman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm celebrating the [H]ard way. ;)

Man do I feel old...

buddman on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The NES was what got my whole family into video games. My dad would play SMB with my brother and me, and my whole family would go downstairs to hang out and play Rollerball. My dad kicked ass at RC Pro AM as well. I could never get past the trucks but he would play for hours and have more trophies than I could count.

Of all my games on it though I most have a love/hate relationship with TMNT. I know I never beat that game, but I loved to play the hell out of it. I am convinced that game is what cemented Donatello as the best turtle to me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Because I don't have enough posts in this thread yet, here is a raycaster another guy I know made for the NES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po69zgqyFWM&feature=related

No tricks or anything, it runs on hardware. But it's really processor intensive and would be tough to turn into a game with sprites on the screen too.

And here is a popular Japanese video of "shadow art" called Bad Apple, recreated on the NES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqZfqNYHyug

(running on actual hardware [vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZehH55i_wg"]here[/vidurl])

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Have you ever seen those 8 bit Christmas NES games that play Christmas songs and show a Christmas scene? Do they still make those? I remember they were making them every year for awhile. I have to pick one up this Christmas if they are.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The 2008 and 2009 ones are discontinued, but there's still time for a 2010 one to surface...no guarantee though.

I don't know if I should link the site that sells modern NES stuff because some of their products do technically enable you to pirate NES games on NES hardware, which are currently being sold on the Wii VC. Zero tolerance policy at PA and all that.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got my NES for Christmas in 87. My parents were adamant that they would never buy me one, didn't like them, etc. This was weird since my mother and I played all of the King's/Space/Police Quest games together, and she'd always let me take the day off when a new King's Quest game came out so we could play together.

Anyway, we went to my grandparents that year to celebrate Christmas. We lived in New York at the time, and they were in Illinois. Unknown to me, the system was in a suit case right next to me in the van the whole drive there. The dog was sleeping on it. They bought it something like two months before. So much happiness.

Also strangely, my grandparents really hated the system, but my grandfather helped pick the games. With some help from a clerk, he bought Mario 2 and Zelda 2 as the first games. Then, on Christmas Day, he went to the video store and rented Legendary Wings and Mega Man. For a guy who hated video games, the guy had great taste.

Since no one's mentioned it so far...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I learned to read primarily thanks to the SMB3 guide.

I still haven't forgiven my parents for never buying me TMNT2. I've played the crap out of it since on XBLA, but I still get a bit bummed when I remember how they ruined my whole childhood by not buying me the NES version.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rescue: The Embassy Mission was the sweetest game ever

The Tom Clancy game before Tom Clancy games were ever even thought of

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As for childhood memories, according to both my parents, I beat the original SMB when I was 3. I don't really remember things from that early of an age. So many great games. I really loved this one Disney game, I forget what it was called but you pretty much just explored the Magic Kingdom while beating all the rides. Great stuff.

Typically with every console I own, my mom and dad both end up really enjoying one game. For my dad it was 1942, for my mom it was Rainbow Islands.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone here manage to beat Legacy of the Wizard when they were a kid? Followup: Do you make it a habit to be a liar-liar-pants-on-fire?

Also fuck Legend of Kage. Probably one of the most irritating games. Short, difficult, and not rewarding at all. Especially since the girl keeps getting kidnapped repeatedly within 10 minute spans.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I played my first game on a family friend's NES

It was Mario Bros.

I was two

If I had never played it, I don't really know who I'd be today!

I mean, probably still pretty awesome, but different

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I played my first game on a family friend's NES

It was Mario Bros.

I was two

If I had never played it, I don't really know who I'd be today!

I mean, probably still pretty awesome, but different

Bah, when I was your age I was playing the Commodore 64!

Henroid on