As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] This is a civilian thread. You're lucky we're wearing pants.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Vanguard?

More like airy fairy teleporting sissy pants, am I right?

Get. Out.

Real men do it with bullet time.

"Hey look! I'm using Charge! Oh, hey, I blew my cover and every enemy near the one I charged raped me with their bullets. I wonder how that happened?"

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Turambar wrote: »
    There are three ways of doing things; the right way, the wrong way and the Vanguard way.

"Isn't that the wrong way?"
    "Yeah, but faster."

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, Vanguard is a great class for Insanity if you really know what you're doing with it, and a great way to commit suicide if you don't.

If you don't want to go with Soldier, try Infiltrator.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    1 - Soldier is great for those who want to play Mass Effect 2 like it is a very well written basic 3rd person shooter (nothing wrong with that) or an easy time on Insane.
    2 - Adept is great for hardcore, a little too tough for me to play on insanity.
    3 - Vanguard is rock out with your cock out. If you never played the game before, throw it on hardcore (because veteran is for pussies) and get charging.
    4 - Sentinel is indestructible. Your game will consist of turning on power armor then using warp/overload until the enemy dies. I found it fun for my 1st play through but I can see the tedium (especially when compared to the risk/excitement of charging).

Never played inf. or engineer so I can't comment on them.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I believe the answer for best class is the winfiltrator

Karrde1842 on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jefe414 wrote: »
    1 - Soldier is great for those who want to play Mass Effect 2 like it is a very well written basic 3rd person shooter (nothing wrong with that) or an easy time on Insane.
    3 - Vanguard is rock out with your cock out. If you never played the game before, throw it on hardcore (because veteran is for pussies) and get charging.
    4 - Sentinel is indestructible. Your game will consist of turning on power armor then using warp/overload until the enemy dies. I found it fun for my 1st play through but I can see the tedium (especially when compared to the risk/excitement of charging).

Just been playing infiltrator on hardcore.

Having only previously played Vanguard on normal, I don't know how much it means when I say this, but I'm saying it anyway.

Dear lord this is easier. I mean, the starting abilities are slowing down time when sniping, turning invisible (for better sniping) and lighting things on fire (which solves even more problems than I thought it would). Just have Garrus or the locust pop shields, and every problem can now be solved with either fire or slow motion bullets to the head.

Or slow motion lighting dudes on fire.

Vanguard is the best class, but it requires situational awareness, snap reflexes, and flawless execution, even on normal, and there are some situations where you can't really do much, assuming you don't get the Kasumi DLC.

Infiltrator?

Even if you somehow mess up big time, have a horde of enemies on your trail, and are low on health, you can, at any time, pop six or so seconds of invisibility to run for some decent cover. Vanguard, even your get out of jail free card requires getting into the thick of a firefight.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok. I think I might be pissed off. But before I openly declare my pissed-off state, I wanted to confirm with others if this is really an issue or not.

Has anyone who got this for PS3 gotten the interactive backstory comic? Cause I'm pretty sure its a download and I'm pretty sure that since Sony never updates the PSN store till like 6:30 at night that my entire day off is gonna be fucking wasted because I refuse to start a new game until I can make the decisions that I want from ME1.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    God damn this game is good. Just hopped into it. For some reason though I completed a game in ME1, it wouldn't read the save. Maybe I overwrote my complete save with a playthrough 2 save? I wouldn't have thought that an issue... Anyway, just recreated Shepard as she was in ME1. To me Shepard will always be a black woman with shoulder length red hair. At first it was hilarious, but now it just seems Cannon, it just works. I couldn't imagine every playing with the lame ass default.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    God damn this game is good. Just hopped into it. For some reason though I completed a game in ME1, it wouldn't read the save. Maybe I overwrote my complete save with a playthrough 2 save? I wouldn't have thought that an issue... Anyway, just recreated Shepard as she was in ME1. To me Shepard will always be a black woman with shoulder length red hair. At first it was hilarious, but now it just seems Canon, it just works. I couldn't imagine every playing with the lame ass default.

You need to set up the import with the launcher. Takes a minute, but once that's done? Smooth sailing.

And trust me, you'll want to. Otherwise, Tuchanka's a lonely place.

And it is weird how Hale, once you get going, just fits whatever Shep you design after a bit, and seeing anyone else's Shepard feels wrong. Like replacing Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca wrong.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My Shepard looks like Vanderloo because the first batch I attempted to create all looked like they'd just stepped off the set of Jerry Springer.

Now I just keep the helmet on.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Guys. I don't think you understand. I have today off work and I own Mass Effect 2 for PS3 but I cannot play it because Sony fucking sucks giant goat nuts and won't be releasing the backstory comic until like 6:30 tonight. A whole day wasted. What the fuck am I supposed to do?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Play it on the pc instead.

Join ussssss

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Make a failshep.

It'll provide a nice Goofus and Gallant dynamic once you get a Haleshep going.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Bebop ColaBebop Cola Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I've played through each class once: sentinel/veteran, vanguard/veteran, adept/veteran, soldier/hardcore, inf/hardcore, eng/hardcore

The engineer class is definitely the last-picked kid on the playground. Still, I thought it was surprisingly good. I think I died less in my hardcore engineer playthrough than I did with my infiltrator. Using the drone to distract enemies while you shoot them/run for cover is really useful.
    I know, I know. I'm a pansy. But hardcore is hard enough. I'd rather spend my time playing the game than reloading 30 times on goddamn Horizon. Goddamn double Scion+husks.

Bebop Cola on
    Baby, take off your beret. Everyone's a critic and most people are DJs.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Guys. I don't think you understand. I have today off work and I own Mass Effect 2 for PS3 but I cannot play it because Sony fucking sucks giant goat nuts and won't be releasing the backstory comic until like 6:30 tonight. A whole day wasted. What the fuck am I supposed to do?

Play any of your other PS3 games? I've been replaying Infamous lately and it's great for rampaging when you're pissed off. And unlike GTA you don't have to abandon the story to do it as long as you're playing the right (read: evil) way you're all good.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bebop Cola wrote: »

I've played through each class once: sentinel/veteran, vanguard/veteran, adept/veteran, soldier/hardcore, inf/hardcore, eng/hardcore

The engineer class is definitely the last-picked kid on the playground. Still, I thought it was surprisingly good. I think I died less in my hardcore engineer playthrough than I did with my infiltrator. Using the drone to distract enemies while you shoot them/run for cover is really useful.
    I know, I know. I'm a pansy. But hardcore is hard enough. I'd rather spend my time playing the game than reloading 30 times on goddamn Horizon. Goddamn double Scion+husks.

Heh.

Horizon was actually a walk in the park for my Infiltrator. Got warned to bring the Cain for the Scions, and did it on the first take.

Garrus went down, but I had more trouble with the Praetorian at the end. Hate enemies that can regenerate shields at whim. Hate them more when I forget to grab the particle beam.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jclast wrote: »

Play any of your other PS3 games? I've been replaying Infamous lately and it's great for rampaging when you're pissed off. And unlike GTA you don't have to abandon the story to do it as long as you're playing the right (read: evil) way you're all good.

Yeah, I could play other games. But why would I want to play with old toys when I just went to the store and bought a new toy? A new toy that won't be playable till they fucking release the downloadable crap with the PSN update. Fucking Sony and their late-ass updates.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    klemming wrote: »
    There are three ways of doing things; the right way, the wrong way and the Vanguard way.

"Yeah, but faster."
    It's the right way.
    But cooler.
    (and faster)

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    klemming wrote: »

"Yeah, but faster."
    It's the right way.
    But cooler.
    (and faster)

It's the wrong way done so cool and so fast, it actually is better than the right way for all practical purposes.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay, I'll give you that one.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You know, Cerberus must weep about the results of the Lazarus project, if one played proper.

Sure, compared to their normal stuff it was a success, but they spend billions to bring back the hero of humanity to do their dirty work, and it turns out she's a drunken asshole out to sabotage them at every turn who thinks the best solution to any problem is to fly into its face at a jillion miles an hour and punch it to death.

Shepard is one of the great gaming protagonists, is what I'm saying.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well...I mean...you were already doing that in ME1...so what did they expect?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...I mean...you were already doing that in ME1...so what did they expect?

Well, the alcoholism got even worse, to be fair to Shepard.

Cyborg kidneys will do that.

As will an on-ship bar. No wonder Shep is hitting on lizards.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    I believe the answer for best class is the winfiltrator

winfiltrator is A++
    black widow
    POAOANAONANGNGGGGG

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I believe the best class is X

X is amazing because of reasons Y and Z

Class A is worse because of reasons B and C

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

I was told there would be no math.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Lies.

I will fight you to the death.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Nope.

A is awesome, X sucks and is for pussies.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, you guys are all wrong, class J puts the others to shame.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Which (if any) of the downloadable weapon and armor packs are worth it?

--Recon Operations Pack
    --Aegis Pack
    --Equalizer Pack
    --Firepower Pack

Any of those worth getting? Any that are good for a specific class?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've had 10 dollars in my American account, for months. Noticed the game was 59.99, so I grabbed a 50 dollar card online. Waited a few hours, then I finally get it and redeem it. I excitedly throw Mass Effect 2 in the cart and go to buy it.

Wait. 3.75 Tax?
    cp5063ffffuuularge.png

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Aegis has the best armor pieces in the game.
    Firepower has 3 awesome weapons.
    Equalizer is alright, but not as good as the other two.
    Never heard of the Recon thing.

Turambar on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like going to Gamestop and seeing that Mass Effect is $16 and Mass Effect 2 is $17.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Bebop ColaBebop Cola Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Which (if any) of the downloadable weapon and armor packs are worth it?

--Recon Operations Pack
    --Aegis Pack
    --Equalizer Pack
    --Firepower Pack

Any of those worth getting? Any that are good for a specific class?

The way I figure, DLC weapons packs help keep combat fresh for your inevitable replays. But if it's your first time through the game, you're not going to get bored by the standard weapons. And although some of the DLC armors look cool (I swear, one of them reminded me of Robocop), the lack of a "helmet off" toggle ensures I'm never going to use them.

I hear some of the DLC weapons are pretty overpowered, too, if that matters to you. I've only used the free DLC weapons that came with the Cerberus Network: The Arc Projector heavy weapon (fantastic for crowds of husks) and the Eviscerator shotgun.

Bebop Cola on
    Baby, take off your beret. Everyone's a critic and most people are DJs.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Man, you guys are all wrong, class J puts the others to shame.

It's true. Science has proven that things that start with the letter j are 38% cooler than things that start with non-j letters.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    hi-5

joshgotro on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there some mod that simply removes helmets? I love the dialoge bonus helmet, but it makes a lot of the cutscenes nonsensical.

*take a drink*->*splash*

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

So the PS3 version is running on the ME3 engine? I didn't know that. Very cool.

Fawst on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apogee wrote: »
    Is there some mod that simply removes helmets? I love the dialoge bonus helmet, but it makes a lot of the cutscenes nonsensical.

*take a drink*->*splash*

Not to my knowledge, though it's much desired.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fawst wrote: »
    Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

If by the "ME3 engine" you mean Unreal 3, then yes. All the Mass Effects have been on the UE3 engine.

ME2 can't possibly be using the ME3 game engine, because it would make the game completely different as ME3 has some big game system changes coming.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Nevermind, I'm an idiot.

If by the "ME3 engine" you mean Unreal 3, then yes. All the Mass Effects have been on the UE3 engine.

ME2 can't possibly be using the ME3 game engine, because it would make the game completely different as ME3 has some big game system changes coming.

Pretty sure that it is.

ME2 on PS3 looks fiiiiine, too.

Cojones on
    exmac.png