As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CREATE ON] LittleBigPlanet 2 - It's out! Let's make levels!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    there's a "mario 1-1" level that's trending right now that just sucks ass. The controls are shit, it looks nothing like 1-1, the only good bit of it is the music.

And it's like, with all the stuff we have at our disposal now makes this bullshit less excusable than ever. I wasn't gonna actually use my mario sackbot in a mario level, but fuck it now I will.

on a related note though the donkey kong level that's trending right now is actually really well done, a few glitches aside.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    there's a "mario 1-1" level that's trending right now that just sucks ass. The controls are shit, it looks nothing like 1-1, the only good bit of it is the music.

And it's like, with all the stuff we have at our disposal now makes this bullshit less excusable than ever. I wasn't gonna actually use my mario sackbot in a mario level, but fuck it now I will.

on a related note though the donkey kong level that's trending right now is actually really well done, a few glitches aside.

Most people are bad at making video games. Which is why the signal to noise ratio was so high in LBP1.

It'll get better with time. These things are trending now because the really good stuff is still in development.

Has anyone seen anything from Donkey Show (posted the extremely cool beta stuff he made in the last thread)?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah it's just depressing because when I see, say, "Assassin's Creed Brotherhood" on the list of cool levels, my assumption is no longer that someone has made a shitty platforming level loosely themed after a popular game. Now I'm expecting to see someone who's used the logic and other new features to create an interesting thing that actually approximates the game they're referencing. The possible success is much higher now which makes the failures seem that much worse.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't suppose anyone's around to give my mario sackbot a test

I feel like he might need a little more tweaking yet but I'm not sure in exactly what way, an outside observer might be able to pinpoint what needs improving a little beter.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't suppose anyone's around to give my mario sackbot a test

I feel like he might need a little more tweaking yet but I'm not sure in exactly what way, an outside observer might be able to pinpoint what needs improving a little beter.

Whoops sorry, I was on earlier, but then had a hankerin' for dismemberin' (Dead Space 2). I should hopefully be on tomorrow at some point if you still need some help testing.

Wish my level was in a position for testing, but I have to finish the spawning system first :?

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I dunno how people shit out these levels so fast. I've been working on one for like 2 days and all I've managed to do is get my Sackbot's bounce-jump working and set up the very first screen. I'm not even totally happy with that.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Italax wrote: »
    I dunno how people shit out these levels so fast. I've been working on one for like 2 days and all I've managed to do is get my Sackbot's bounce-jump working and set up the very first screen. I'm not even totally happy with that.

Some of the makers were in the beta and know the tools better than anyone else.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I just accept that my first few levels (at the very least) are just going to be learning experiences so I'm not going to spend too much time on them. I can always go back and improve/remake at a later date.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I just accept that my first few levels (at the very least) are just going to be learning experiences so I'm not going to spend too much time on them. I can always go back and improve/remake at a later date.

Yea, I finally finished my first level and learned it only takes like ... 2 minutes to play through. I spent so much time learning how to script events that the gameplay length took a huge hit. On the plus side, the two minutes are filled with ninjas throwing exploding shurikens, exploding ninjas, and cake.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Yea, I finally finished my first level and learned it only takes like ... 2 minutes to play through. I spent so much time learning how to script events that the gameplay length took a huge hit. On the plus side, the two minutes are filled with ninjas throwing exploding shurikens, exploding ninjas, and cake.

Sounds like an awesome 2 minutes :^:

And yeah, there's a bit of a learning curve to overcome with all these new tools; people who were in the beta definitely have an advantage. I'm just now to the point where I feel "comfortable" with the new tools.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think you guys have hit on something with all the logic tools.

I spent the better part of several hours tweaking the logic for one of my "rides" for the Theme Park level. Once I finished I contemplated cutting some rides because I thought it would just take FAR too long to finish. However the very next ride pretty much just laid down for me and works like a champ. I think my next level is going to be infinitely better than this one, just because everytime I plop down a microchip, shit starts to work closer to what I orignially picture in my head.

That said I have most of the rides done for my level and are now working on the story bits, which I think will be the best part.

One question: If I compose a song with the sequencer, can the player hear it throughout the level, or just when he/she is close?

LutExIV on
    26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    yeah the logic for this sackbot is basically unintelligible but I know what pretty much every part does somehow. At worst sometimes I need to jump into him to confirm which wires go to which buttons.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How much longer do we have for the contest?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    LutExIV wrote: »
    I think you guys have hit on something with all the logic tools.

I spent the better part of several hours tweaking the logic for one of my "rides" for the Theme Park level. Once I finished I contemplated cutting some rides because I thought it would just take FAR too long to finish. However the very next ride pretty much just laid down for me and works like a champ. I think my next level is going to be infinitely better than this one, just because everytime I plop down a microchip, shit starts to work closer to what I orignially picture in my head.

That said I have most of the rides done for my level and are now working on the story bits, which I think will be the best part.

One question: If I compose a song with the sequencer, can the player hear it throughout the level, or just when he/she is close?

If it's anything like the other sound effects, you should be able to turn positional audio on or off for that object. I would imagine that turning off positional audio for each sound object on the sequencer should work. The sequencer itself might have some sort of position or range requirements as well, not sure....haven't played with the sequencer much yet.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also, the request for someone to test this sucker out still stands!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oh jeez, there's a guy working on a sackbot that will let you enter create mode during normal gameplay.

check this shit out I don't even

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh jeez, there's a guy working on a sackbot that will let you enter create mode during normal gameplay.

Thaat's not actually a link. :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »

Thaat's not actually a link. :P

try this

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap. Creator mode in a level? How the fuck?

It just goes to show you that no matter how good you are at something, there is some kid on the internet thats better than you.

LutExIV on
    26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    LutExIV wrote: »
    Holy crap. Creator mode in a level? How the fuck?

It just goes to show you that no matter how good you are at something, there is some kid on the internet thats better than you.

Could that mess up competitive mode or whatever it is called (verus?)?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    the great thing is that I have a rough idea of how he's doing most of it

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    should i feel bad that every random has thumbs-downed my level

i mean this is the best i've got. i don't have it in me to build complex mechanized enemies or render art stolen from call of duty in pixels

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't feel bad. Most randoms are idiots. And if you're not doing heart for heart or giving away costumes (even though it's impossible, people still haven't realized it) then they'll probably give you thumbs down.

anoffday on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I never understood the costume thing.

It's like, how have people not realized that they are total bullshit that literally LITERALLY do nothing? It's astounding.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ya, I saw some of these free costume levels. One even had a tutorial on how to store it and use it. Seemed weird. Are these real?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No. They're just cheap ways to get hearts and thumbs up. And people continue to fall for them.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I thought your level was pretty fun jezz, the only thing I'd say is that it could use some prettying up. People tend to notice how a level looks more than you might think.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    yeah. it's hard though, i only have so much time and creating levels takes a lot of it. so i can either put something together from start to finish that's playable and reasonably fun, or dwell on the fine details and end up with something a quarter finished. i definitely prefer the latter because i don't feel like i've wasted my time

still, maybe i'll give it a once-over with some sound effects and a couple of stickery flourishes

edit: got part two working from start to finish now too, just need to add the indicators/hints and some camera work

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's fine if you're not interested in putting a lot of time into getting everything just right

you shouldn't really be surprised if people call you on it though.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This isn't my theme park level, but I've been working on it for awhile. I started on it in Dec. with LBP1. It's still not done. I'm pretty slow at this, but try it out and let me know what you think so far.

http://lbp.me/u/anoffday/levels

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    it seems like a good start!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    42 out of 52 tutorials done! I'm enjoying these as much as the story mode :) Some of the new tools are awesome, no more building AND gates and Microchips are fab.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I remember during the tutorials I kept thinking "oh wow this will really help make mechanical logic gates a lot easier!"

but then of course the logic tutorials render that method completely obsolete anyway

pretty sure if I had tried to do this logic for my sackbot in LBP1 the thermometer would have filled up and exploded with such force that mercury would fly out of the screen and get all over me

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I published my first level!

http://lbp.me/v/w69c96

It's just a short test level right now, trying to get some feedback before going forward. I have an entire epic adventure planned out, so let me know what you think, please!

I've had the dolphin pretty much done for a while now, but I was still working out more enemies and environments, and I just couldn't wait to get it out there anymore.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ha. That was pretty cool.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    PLaying through Story Mode if anyone would like to join in? Managed to get one online game going but everyone else just refuses connection. The big meanies.

::edit:: Have set LBP2 to auto accept anyone that wants to join me, so feel free to jump on in :)

::further edit:: Damn this last level is difficult with other people. Lives just get eaten up.

::further further edit:: Wow, story mode was fantastic. I hope they do further DLC "Story Modes"

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys, I posted this in H/A but maybe someone here can help:
    So, I have LBP and LBP2 for the PS3. I'm kind of curious about LBP for the PSP... specifically Create Mode.

a) I fear the answer is no, but: Can you export levels you create on the PSP to PS3 format?

b) Is the PSP version Create Mode as robust as the PS3 version of LBP's Create Mode?

c) How is it, in general? It seems to have gotten good reviews.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't actually own a PSP, but from what I recall the create mode is basically the same but with a smaller thermometer, and you only get two layers to work with instead of three

I don't think the levels can be transferred to the PS3 games

as someone who is a fucking rabid lbp fan

it doesn't strike me as particularly worth it? I dunno I wouldn't want to fuck with create mode on a small screen with handheld controls

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I actually had LBP for the psp before I even owned a PS3. And as someone who is completely addicted to LBP 1 and 2 on the PS3, I have to say I didn't really play that much of the psp version.

anoffday on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks - that's what I figured. Being able to design full LBP levels on a handheld would have been awesome. Maybe LBP2 on the PSP2.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar