Options

[Megaten Discussion] Elizabeth added to P4A; P4's cast is already dead.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Drez wrote: »
    Is Devil Survivor 2 a direct sequel to DS1, or can you just start with DS2?

@Inquisitor was asking

Also, is Devil Survivor in general a decent Introduction to Megaten? I know there are probably better games but...?

1. They're completely separate.

2. I'd say pretty much any game released since Persona 3 is a good way to get into the series, so yes, I think Devil Survivor's a good introduction to Megaten. Can't speak for 2 as I haven't played it yet, but people like it so there you go.

edited for clarity

EVOL on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

@Inquisitor was asking

Also, is Devil Survivor in general a decent Introduction to Megaten? I know there are probably better games but...?

DS2 is not directly related to DS1.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

You can start with DS2. As far as I can tell, the games are not connected.

And is Devil Survivor a decent introduction to Megaten as a whole? Bit of a tough question.

On the on one hand, yeah, sure, because it's all about fusing together a team of demons geared towards ruthless exploitation of the enemy's weaknesses.

On the other hand, it's an SRPG rather than a more traditional dungeon crawler.

So... kind of.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bah. If you wanna get introduced to SMT, go Nocturne. Dive in the ice with no clothes on.

It's the only way you'll learn.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    As someone who just had all those same questions a few days ago, I would say that yes, DS2 is a decent jumping on place. I just bought it the other day and its my first ever Megaten game and I'm enjoying it so far.

I also just got a brand new Vita and I'm waiting for Atlus to put their Persona games on sale. I'll probably buy all 3 of them when they go on sale.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Bah. If you wanna get introduced to SMT, go Nocturne. Dive in the ice with no clothes on.

On Hard mode. Hard mode is the only correct way to play Nocturne. It becomes an experience.
    I mean, I can't be the only one with maniacal laughter every time I beat a superboss.
    Petrifying all their minions. Debuffing their accuracy (and buffing my evade) so they can't land a hit. Charging up my super attacks. Laughing as they waste all their turns.~

Then getting into that back attack random battle that kills three members of your team in the initial round, paralyzes your main character, and then crits him dead.
    But you'll be back for blood.

Tips for the SMT core games. Those Useless Spells in almost every other roleplying game... you know, the status effect abilities and buffs/debuffs? They're GOD TIER here. Oh, and resists and weaknesses mean at least twice as much as any other game in the Press Turn system (Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga) because they don't just mean extra damage - they also mean extra turns.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Tips for the SMT core games. Those Useless Spells in almost every other roleplying game... you know, the status effect abilities and buffs/debuffs? They're GOD TIER here. Oh, and resists and weaknesses mean at least twice as much as any other game in the Press Turn system (Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga) because they don't just mean extra damage - they also mean extra turns.

This is actually quite interesting and really makes me happy. I love games where status ailments and support roles play a bigger part of combat. I hate the "holy trinity" of tank, dps, heals. Games that incorporate buffs/debuffs well are way more fun to me, simply because they add an extra level of strategy and depth that's missing otherwise.

When you say "core games" which ones specifically are you talking about?

Also, another random question. Assuming I really get hooked on this series, how readily available are the older games? Have there been PSP or DS remakes of others besides the Persona games? What platform is Nocturne available on? I don't own a PS2 anymore, and I have a feeling I'm gonna be missing out on a ton of good games because of this.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Lucascraft wrote: »

This is actually quite interesting and really makes me happy. I love games where status ailments and support roles play a bigger part of combat. I hate the "holy trinity" of tank, dps, heals. Games that incorporate buffs/debuffs well are way more fun to me, simply because they add an extra level of strategy and depth that's missing otherwise.

Also, another random question. Assuming I really get hooked on this series, how readily available are the older games? Have there been PSP or DS remakes of others besides the Persona games? What platform is Nocturne available on? I don't own a PS2 anymore, and I have a feeling I'm gonna be missing out on a ton of good games because of this.
    There haven't been remakes of any of the older games, other than the persona series, unfortunately, and they're the oldest games released in the US. Well...Okay, you can get SMT1 as an Iphone app, but it's not translated....for some reason.

And without a PS2, you're missing out on pretty much all the best SMT games released in the US. The handheld titles just cant compare, really.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I don't think there are any SMT games where buffs and debuffs aren't incredibly powerful.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I would honestly reccomend p4 or DS as an introduction to the series rather than nocturne or SJ.

Nocturne is incredibly barebones storywise, you basically just have to guess where to go when new areas open up, and sometimes the randomness is simply annoying. And playing it on hard without having played an SMT game before sounds like torture, as magatama management is a pain even when I know which skills are broken and should be kept. As for SJ, it is a lot easier overall apart from having amazingly cruel dungeon design. The map actively hates you for the last third, and in the final zone it makes the Etrian Oddysey games look like pansies when it comes to map design. And EO is well known for being cruel and unforgiving.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

The "core" SMT games are Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2 (SNES), Nocturne/Lucifer's Call (PS2) and Strange Journey (DS).

Strange Journey is considered by many to be the least of these, though personally I enjoyed it a lot.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Digital Devil Saga (PS2) is coming to the PSN. In Europe. But since I don't have a PS3, I can't say for certain.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I would honestly reccomend p4 or DS as an introduction to the series rather than nocturne or SJ.

Nocturne is incredibly barebones storywise, you basically just have to guess where to go when new areas open up, and sometimes the randomness is simply annoying. And playing it on hard without having played an SMT game before sounds like torture, as magatama management is a pain even when I know which skills are broken and should be kept. As for SJ, it is a lot easier overall apart from having amazingly cruel dungeon design. The map actively hates you for the last third, and in the final zone it makes the Etrian Oddysey games look like pansies when it comes to map design. And EO is well known for being cruel and unforgiving.

I look at it this way. If you can beat Nocturne, even on normal, the entire rest of the available english SMT games are a joke.

Nocturne is damn cruel (Especially before you get a couple hours in and get hama/mudo resist.) but efficient teacher.

Also the story is actually pretty damn awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Man...most SMT games focus on law vs chaos...not DS2, though. No, it looks like DS2 has a much deeper, far darker conflict going on.
    Republicans vs Communists

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »

I look at it this way. If you can beat Nocturne, even on normal, the entire rest of the available english SMT games are a joke.

Nocturne is damn cruel (Especially before you get a couple hours in and get hama/mudo resist.) but efficient teacher.

Also the story is actually pretty damn awesome.

Dunno about the story, I honestly get bored by nocturne. I never bothered getting far though, as by the time you get to uh...
    I beat dante, and the boss after him, the leader of what seems to be roughly the chaos faction. I didn't want to join the chaos faction and thus started trecking back to the other dudes to see if I could go forward in some other way. But I never bothered going back to it for that. So I guess that is a question on nocturne, does saying yes there lock me into a path, or am I just being silly. I always feel I should go back and complete is since I love p3/4, SJ and DS.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I don't think there are any SMT games where buffs and debuffs aren't incredibly powerful.

Or even necessary in some games.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Aww, Drez you are a sweetheart for asking for me. <3

Also, thanks for answering guys. Good to know the DS2 doesn't require DS1 to play. I like SRPGs more than dungeon crawlers so it sounds like a good fit for me.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I should get Overclocked in the mail by tomorrow, I guess. And I will pick up a 3DS tomorrow too. Which is really stupid because I literally do not have enough time to play this now.

edit: But I don't want to miss out on Overclocked and new copies appear to be rare.

Drez on
  • Options
    At this rate I will have to pick up an american 3ds to play the coming SMT games, which sucks. Especially if overclocked is hard to find seeing as how I can't afford it atm.

I can warmly reccomend ds1 though inquisitor. It is an excellent game, although since I haven't played 2 yet I can't comment how they stack up.

• Options
    You're welcome, @Inquisitor!

• Options
    Buffs aren't terribly great in SMT1. Status effects, especially those caused by your guns however....

• Options
    Buffs aren't terribly great in SMT1. Status effects, especially those caused by your guns however....
    Especially charm.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    mmm...charm bullets.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    mmm...charm bullets.
    Charm bullets. Also known as "Auto every boss"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    All I've played so far is DS1 and 2, DDS 1 and Persona 3. Buffs/debuffs were basically never used in DS1, the enemies' worked in P3 but mine never did, and in DDS1 I tried and tried because I was told they were absolutely necessary...but just like P3, mine did nothing while the enemies' always destroyed me.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    All I've played so far is DS1 and 2, DDS 1 and Persona 3. Buffs/debuffs were basically never used in DS1, the enemies' worked in P3 but mine never did, and in DDS1 I tried and tried because I was told they were absolutely necessary...but just like P3, mine did nothing while the enemies' always destroyed me.

Well, I found that they do work in P3 and are pretty much necessary for some sections of The Answer, but really - with the right planning you could easily blow through just about everything in P3 with little thought.

Buffing and debuffing is king in Digital Devil Saga, though.

And I think included in all this is elemental resistance, which Megaten games put a much higher importance on than other games.

• Options
    Are you talking status effects or buffs? Because I can't imagine not noticing the effect of buffs. Status effects are always more of a toss-up, unless you were fighting something weak to them.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Seriously, no way would I have beaten Persona 3 or 4 without buffs. No matter what, I always made sure I had Tarunda on my MC in some way.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Status buffs was the only way I could handle most of the boss fights in persona 4 on hard. Clearing the first real dungeon in one day is insanely hard even when you make sure you have the dodge increase/accuracy decrease so the bosses don't wreck you.

• Options
    Well there is a character in DDS who I don't use specificially because he is weak to status spells, so yeah, it's important in that game.

• Options
    So SMT1+2 were on the SNES? Did they ever re-release these on a modern portable or anywhere else?

• Options
    They did!

Twice!

Didn't localize it either time!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

On Hard mode. Hard mode is the only correct way to play Nocturne. It becomes an experience.
    I mean, I can't be the only one with maniacal laughter every time I beat a superboss.
    Petrifying all their minions. Debuffing their accuracy (and buffing my evade) so they can't land a hit. Charging up my super attacks. Laughing as they waste all their turns.~

Then getting into that back attack random battle that kills three members of your team in the initial round, paralyzes your main character, and then crits him dead.

You do not play Nocturne on Hard the first time. No. God no.

It's for NG+, when you want an added thrill. Don't cheapen the experience by making it harder than it needs to be, when Normal is no cakewalk.

As for core SMT, I'd say III > I > SJ > II > If.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

You do not play Nocturne on Hard the first time. No. God no.

It's for NG+, when you want an added thrill. Don't cheapen the experience by making it harder than it needs to be, when Normal is no cakewalk.

As for core SMT, I'd say III > I > SJ > II > If.

I am crazy. What can I say?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Hard Mode, no fusions, final destination.

• Options
    They did!

Twice!

Wow. That sucks.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I find that I never have enough room for spells, so I never use the buffs/debuffs/etc. since they don't seem to do much. Everyone needs to have one or two damage spells, maybe a multi-target one too, a healing or status removal spell, the Hunting abilities in DDS, maybe an ability to run away or get more exp or something too. There's no room to add in a spell that makes you do 1% more damage. Even though when enemies used it, it seemed to double their damage...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hard Mode, no fusions, final destination.

That was the foundation of my Let's Play.
    (I'll still do the challenge.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    They did!

Twice!

Wow. That sucks.
    They did finally release ONE version of SMT 1 here in the US!

On the Iphone!

They still did not localize it!

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    And almost certainly never will. Presumably anyone who cares about SMT1 has already played the fan translation.

Heck, at this point Gideon should just give it to them out of pity.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I find that I never have enough room for spells, so I never use the buffs/debuffs/etc. since they don't seem to do much. Everyone needs to have one or two damage spells, maybe a multi-target one too, a healing or status removal spell, the Hunting abilities in DDS, maybe an ability to run away or get more exp or something too. There's no room to add in a spell that makes you do 1% more damage. Even though when enemies used it, it seemed to double their damage...

Are you sure you were actually using buff spells?