As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: New Thread for 3DS Discussion

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    Went out to the mall today, went into the gamestop even and made a few passes by it while I was doing things there and I got a grand total of 0 spotpasses. :( It's going to be a dead Mii Plaza for me.

It wouldn't be a Nintendo platform without at least one or two completely useless features.

Let's not confuse SpotPasses with StreetPasses. SpotPasses can happen anywhere you come across a WiFi connection. I got the Capcom Street Fighter figurine SpotPass (it was a code) without going near a commercial hotspot at all.

StreetPass is the local wireless stuff, which requires you to turn on a bunch of different features to actually get it to work, since it doesn't come out-of-the-box with that stuff already activated for some inane reason.

One is up to the developer to give to you; one is up to you as an individual. Ignoring the fact that not everyone is going to have a 3DS at this point, Nintendo hasn't forgotten that this is a handheld device. It's meant to be carried around. StreetPass is supposed to be the most basic form of communicating with other owners -- you don't have do anything crazy (like ask them if they could open up their copy of Nintendogs), just pass by them. It's tied into the firmware and doesn't require anything from a person other than to be "on". SpotPass, on the other hand, is supposed to be the reward for even getting online with your 3DS at all. A game may contain no multiple functions but still could feasibly benefit from SpotPass.

Ah yes, I was mixing up the two features. Streetpass is the useless one.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For me, the least useful squad member is the leader, Duke. I always try to use Banshee (cloak/knife) and Mint (engineer), and the healer's stim pack is so great that I've never tried her power-boost thing.

This will change (or should change). Toward the end he ought to become one of the most important squad members due to his charged up far-reaching launcher attack that hits a wide area and can go over walls.

You can actually break some missions with him. There's one where you're sneaking into an enemy base, and after you get inside you have to stop some engineers from reaching their tanks, which would be bad news for you. Except I had already blown up one of the three tanks from outside the base. :)

In another mission there's a place with a lot of dormant drones that are supposed to activate as you're leaving (when you pass nearby them). Except I had already blown up all but one of them!

Don't underestimate Duke. Use him for his missiles, keep him stocked with those green crates and he can take out tons of units.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For me, the least useful squad member is the leader, Duke. I always try to use Banshee (cloak/knife) and Mint (engineer), and the healer's stim pack is so great that I've never tried her power-boost thing.

This will change (or should change). Toward the end he ought to become one of the most important squad members due to his charged up far-reaching launcher attack that hits a wide area and can go over walls.

You can actually break some missions with him. There's one where you're sneaking into an enemy base, and after you get inside you have to stop some engineers from reaching their tanks, which would be bad news for you. Except I had already blown up one of the three tanks from outside the base. :)

In another mission there's a place with a lot of dormant drones that are supposed to activate as you're leaving (when you pass nearby them). Except I had already blown up all but one of them!

Don't underestimate Duke. Use him for his missiles, keep him stocked with those green crates and he can take out tons of units.

This. One of the later missions he had his charge up and I had a group of drones coming at the group. Well they ended up moving all within the Wide-Area attack radius, and then game over. He's great. I'm all about Mint though!

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Went out to the mall today, went into the gamestop even and made a few passes by it while I was doing things there and I got a grand total of 0 spotpasses. :( It's going to be a dead Mii Plaza for me.

It wouldn't be a Nintendo platform without at least one or two completely useless features.

Let's not confuse SpotPasses with StreetPasses. SpotPasses can happen anywhere you come across a WiFi connection. I got the Capcom Street Fighter figurine SpotPass (it was a code) without going near a commercial hotspot at all.

StreetPass is the local wireless stuff, which requires you to turn on a bunch of different features to actually get it to work, since it doesn't come out-of-the-box with that stuff already activated for some inane reason.

One is up to the developer to give to you; one is up to you as an individual. Ignoring the fact that not everyone is going to have a 3DS at this point, Nintendo hasn't forgotten that this is a handheld device. It's meant to be carried around. StreetPass is supposed to be the most basic form of communicating with other owners -- you don't have do anything crazy (like ask them if they could open up their copy of Nintendogs), just pass by them. It's tied into the firmware and doesn't require anything from a person other than to be "on". SpotPass, on the other hand, is supposed to be the reward for even getting online with your 3DS at all. A game may contain no multiple functions but still could feasibly benefit from SpotPass.

Streetpass is really entertaining. You just have to actually leave your house.

DaveTheWave on
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      I finally got my first StreetPass yesterday! Made me very happy.

pslong9 on
      steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
    • Options
      slash000slash000 Registered User regular
      edited April 2011

Always bet on Duke.

slash000 on
    • Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      edited April 2011

Streetpass is really entertaining. You just have to actually live near a city.

Seriously, where is my tunnelling software? ;-)

Shadowfire on
      WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      LunkerLunker Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      I've gotten three StreetPass hits on my grad school college campus in the past few days; oddly, one of them gave me Street Fighter data, but didn't give me Mii Plaza data. I didn't think that could happen, though I guess you could opt not to share a Mii but still turn StreetPass on. The funny part was that I was playing Street Fighter as I got the hit; I saw the green light pop, but looked around and didn't see anyone else. It's like a secret nerd handshake!

The basic concept behind the Mii Plaza and StreetPass is cool, but I wish we could do more with it beyond getting hats and assembling Nintendo puzzles. Though I got a massive spike in Figure Points because I rolled the person I StreetPass battled; won all five fights, and it gave me a 5,000 point bonus (which I think is on top of the 2,500 I got from winning the fights).

EDIT: Re: Shadow Wars, Banshee is now a dedicated stealth shanking machine. Love her to pieces. I'm also surprised at how strong Mint and Saffron's firearm attacks are; I would think that support characters like that would be weaker, but they always end up doing a shit-ton of damage for me.

Lunker on
      Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    • Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Ha, Streetpass, the official fistbump for nerds. :lol:

Brainiac 8 on
      3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      azith28azith28 Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      So...about the friends codes. When i enter them and connect to the internet, am i going to download everyones Mii? or is this just to have a roster of people to play multiplayer games with?

azith28 on
      Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    • Options
      V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      azith28 wrote: »
      So...about the friends codes. When i enter them and connect to the internet, am i going to download everyones Mii? or is this just to have a roster of people to play multiplayer games with?

When you input a person's friend code, their Mii's become their Avatar, like an Xbox Live avatar. You actually don't download them at all.

The ways to get Mii's are: 1) Make them yourself. 2) Use a QR code. 3) StreetPass with someone so they end up in your 'Plaza'.

V Faction on
      Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
      Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
      "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    • Options
      jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Yay! Got a black one for my birthday. I also got Ghost Recon and SF4. SF4 is insane how good of a port it is. Great graphics and the 3d looks awesome. Ghost Recon is a fun game, but shitty graphics and shitty 3d implementation.

jeddy lee on
      Backlog Challenge: 0%
      0/8

PS2
      FF X replay

PS3
      God of War 1&2 HD
      Rachet and Clank Future
      MGS 4
      Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
      Fable 3

DS
      FF: 4 heroes of light
    • Options
      Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      jeddy lee wrote: »
      Ghost Recon is a fun game, but shitty graphics and shitty 3d implementation.

I disagree with those last two assertions :P I mean, the graphics are not mindblowing or anything, but they are functional (certainly wouldn't call them "shitty"). I really don't see how they could have improved them all that significantly given the way the game is designed (I mean, they could have but everything is so small anyways that you'd never even know the difference).

Also, the 3D is fantastic :D

Warlock82 on
      Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      RehabRehab Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      slash000 wrote: »

Always bet on Duke.

Heh, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that.

Certainly don't underestimate the man anyway. And of course, be especially wary if he is out of bubble gum.

Rehab on
      NNID: Rehab0
    • Options
      pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Rehab wrote: »
      slash000 wrote: »

Always bet on Duke.

Heh, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that.

Certainly don't underestimate the man anyway. And of course, be especially wary if he is out of bubble gum.

Yeah, the great thing about Duke is that with his Wide Impact attack, you can easily kill 3 or 4 enemies in one shot (on Veteran level, anyway), which refills his power bar and you can do the exact same thing again the next turn (or same turn) if needed. I'm on chapter 5 right now, and in this particular mission, I just had him take out 4 drones and badly wound a gunner who were lined up in a row.

This really is a great game.

pslong9 on
      steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Launch game or not, ghost recon shadow wars has been one of my favorite games I've played lately.

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Alright, I just discovered the 3DS camera, and it's amazing.

Is there a guide on to how to convert them into crosseyed 3D photos?

Heleor on
      • Options
        JintorJintor Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Launch game or not, ghost recon shadow wars has been one of my favorite games I've played lately.

I'm amazed at all these little systems I never even thought about before. Stuff like 'movement distance, but you can only fire from these squares if you move' is far more elegant than X-Com's time units or FFTA's 'move and attack always'. And the cover and elevation system is great, it's tactical without being completely unfair. The only thing I dislike is that if you hit "A" it doesn't ask you to confirm your choice, it just does it; that's screwed me over more than once.

Jintor on
      • Options
        The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
        edited April 2011
        I just realized, where the hell is the little wifi chat program that the DS has?

The_Spaniard on
        Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
      • Options
        VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        pictochat? it's coming in a future update

VALVEjunkie on
      • Options
        edited April 2011
        Is anyone up for some SSFIV? I feel like fighting in the streets tonight!

Lunker on
        Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
      • Options
        NickleNickle Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Lunker wrote: »
        Is anyone up for some SSFIV? I feel like fighting in the streets tonight!

I will street fight you.

I'll start up a lobby, and we'll see if this works. I've never played a friend match.

Nickle on
        Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
      • Options
        edited April 2011
        Okay, looking for you now. Let's do this.

Lunker on
      • Options
        Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Random question: who do I need to threaten/cajole/fellate in order to get a new Meteos for 3DS?

Chris FOM on
      • Options
        mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Chris FOM wrote: »
        Random question: who do I need to threaten/cajole/fellate in order to get a new Meteos for 3DS?

That depends on if you want it to be good or not!!

Masahiro Sakurai (the original designer) if you want it to be good, or Tetsuya Mizuguchi/Q if you want it to be uninspired and boring

mntorankusu on
      • Options
        SpaztiqSpaztiq Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Joined the 3DS club today! Started adding people from SirUltimos' list, probably the first 20 or so for NA. Hopefully some of you will add me back.
        Feel free to add me and let me know if you do so I can get yours too.
        0173-1333-4648

Hope to see some of you in game sometime!

Spaztiq on

3DS FC: 0173-1333-4648 | Wii Num: 3461 1854 4259 4427 | Animal Crossing CF: 1547-8841-3039 Spaztiq/Binaria | Tetris FC: 726 547 949 635
        (Please let me know if you add me) :D
      • Options
        edited April 2011
        Friend matches in SSFIV play really well! Nickle and I spent the past hour or so punching each other. If we do get real messaging options in the May update or soon down the road, it'll be virtually perfect.

Lunker on
      • Options
        MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Spaztiq wrote: »
        Joined the 3DS club today! Started adding people from SirUltimos' list, probably the first 20 or so for NA. Hopefully some of you will add me back.
        0173-1333-4648

Added ya.

edit: on a side note, I realized that the charging dock has a part of it on the back that can be pulled down. What's the purpose of that?

MarioG on
        Kay wrote:
        Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
      • Options
        NickleNickle Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Lunker wrote: »
        Friend matches in SSFIV play really well! Nickle and I spent the past hour or so punching each other. If we do get real messaging options in the May update or soon down the road, it'll be virtually perfect.

Other than a couple random connection drops at the start, I didn't see any lag at all. It worked surprisingly well. I wonder if capcom might at least patch in an invite system, I thought I heard that devs could use the system friend list in-game. Not sure if that is also coming in a system update, if it's just because it's a launch game, or if I just heard wrong.

In any case, we should totally set up some kind of weekly tourney or PA fight night. Much more fun than playing random strangers, if only because it doesn't bother me as much when I get my ass kicked. :P

Nickle on
        Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
      • Options
        ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        So I downloaded that pack of gamecube/wii game images that someone over on gbatemp made 3D. There were a couple zelda ones with a decent bit of pop-out that were giving me some serious eye strain, and I simply couldn't focus (and I'm someone who plays all my games at 100% 3D), but I tried it again tonight, still couldn't really focus at first, but messed around a bit. I ended up putting my stylus between me and the image, and something about how I focused there helped me see the pop-out when I took it away.

Holy shit. The pop-out 3D is absolutely amazing. One of the guys in one of the zelda images was like an inch out of the screen and it was completely mind-blowing.

Zerokku on
      • Options
        edited April 2011
        Nickle wrote: »
        In any case, we should totally set up some kind of weekly tourney or PA fight night. Much more fun than playing random strangers, if only because it doesn't bother me as much when I get my ass kicked. :P

That would certainly be cool. I have this space reserved for any organized online gaming or tournaments that might be had. Although I wouldn't be the best person to put something like that together because I don't own a 3DS and am about to be out of town (and unlikely to be logging on here) fairly often coming up. If anyone else decides they want to do so I'll take what they have and throw it up in the OP when I can.

And speaking of Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, this was posted in the industry thread:
        Cade wrote: »

I have to say that I'm quite happy about this because Capcom is easily my favorite 3rd party developer so far with this game and all of the Resident Evil they have coming to the 3DS. Hopefully this will encourage them to continue to support the system pretty heavily going forward. Lets get some Mega Man on this thing at some point! Marvel VS Capcom 3 wouldn't be bad either.

Rehab on
      • Options
        VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        MarioG wrote: »
        Spaztiq wrote: »
        0173-1333-4648

Added ya.

edit: on a side note, I realized that the charging dock has a part of it on the back that can be pulled down. What's the purpose of that?

pulling out the game card maybe?

VALVEjunkie on
      • Options
        edited April 2011
        This is . . . unexpected, but probably nothing in the long run.

Low 3DS Sales Drops Nintendo's Stock
        According to investment service company Fisco, Nintendo's stock has dropped four straight days. Investment bank Barclays Capital holds the Japan earthquake and the delay of 3DS launch titles accountable, leading to the first time that the PSP has sold more than any Nintendo hardware device during any week.

Though Nintendo did not reach its goal of shipping 1.5 million 3DSs, only reaching about half that with 836,000 units, I'm not terribly concerned. The 3DS is taking a slow-burn approach and it will take time before its library of titles reaches a point where the majority of consumers feel that the handheld is worth their money. Nintendo has yet to come close to producing first-party titles - the heavy-hitters - for the 3DS: Mario, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Kirby, Metroid, Donkey Kong, the list goes on and on.

But if Nintendo can't get its groove together by the time Sony's NGP hits, the trouble may only be beginning. Still, it has plenty of time to pull ahead.

Goddamn earthquakes! I forsee May and June being absolutely explosive months saleswise though. Between those two months we'll see the updates such as the e-store, E3 excitement and announcements, Ocarina of Time 3D, and from the sound of it, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries. My own personal prediciton is 3DS sales dominance from that point on leading into the holidays, where it will get straight up brutal for the competition. Brutal I tell you! Especially if Mario Kart in 3D is involved in any capacity.

Rehab on
      • Options
        langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        The NGP will presumably be expensive, and doubtfully be immune to the same launch title woes that plague every new system, so I don't know that Nintendo has a lot to worry about on that front.

It's not like ownership is mutually exclusive either. I already own a 3DS and will most likely get the NGP as well.

langfor6 on
      • Options
        JintorJintor Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        When Ocarina of Time hits stuff might start really exploding.

Jintor on
      • Options
        LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Playing Street Fighter on the Hardest setting, and...
        FUCK SETH. FUCK HIM AND FUCK CAPCOM AND FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT SETH'S CHEAP MOTHERFUCKING ASS GODDAMNIT. I was doing JUST FUCKING FINE until SETH. Why the flying happy-go-lucky fuck is he even in the goddamn game?!?!?!?!!?

Sorry. Had to vent. I'm really that frustrated.

Lodsiek on
      • Options
        CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Lodsiek wrote: »
        FUCK SETH. FUCK HIM AND FUCK CAPCOM AND FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT SETH'S CHEAP MOTHERFUCKING ASS GODDAMNIT. I was doing JUST FUCKING FINE until SETH. Why the flying happy-go-lucky fuck is he even in the goddamn game?!?!?!?!!?

I've felt your pain. You aren't alone!

CheesecakeRecipe on
      • Options
        LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
        edited April 2011

I've tried everything at this point, from legitimate fighting to cheap tricks... I've beat him a couple times but not twice in a row. It just sucks because I'm getting so much better at this game and to hit a brick wall like this... ugh, it's like being interrupted during sex.
        I wouldn't know.

Lodsiek on
      • Options
        SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
        edited April 2011
        Jintor wrote: »
        When Ocarina of Time hits stuff might start really exploding.

I wonder if they're going to go for a fall release, or save it for the holidays. KI is supposed to be late summer, right?

Spoit on
        steam_sig.png
      • Options
        The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
        edited April 2011

I've tried everything at this point, from legitimate fighting to cheap tricks... I've beat him a couple times but not twice in a row. It just sucks because I'm getting so much better at this game and to hit a brick wall like this... ugh, it's like being interrupted during sex.
        I wouldn't know.

Sethus interruptus.

The_Spaniard on
        Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/