As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: New Thread for 3DS Discussion

• Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Matthew wrote: »
    I was using the tool that came with the package. They aren't stripped too badly, and I will try again, but ot's still frustrating.

Hm, I didn't realize it came with a tool. Just apply a good bit of downward pressure and make sure you're as perpendicular as possible with the screw face. Good luck.

I don't know if this is still a problem, but if you have a good thick rubber band you don't mind destroying, lay the rubber band flat across the top of the screw, and push the screwdriver hard into the hole through the rubber band. You should still be able to get the screw out, even if it's badly stripped.

Using the tool that came with the battery probably did the trick though.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    First time I heard "Dictator", "Boxer", and "Claw", it caught me off guard. That's awfully politically correct. And I heard it from the fighting community of all places. Even when watching/commenting on a Japanese version of SF, like AE, I still use the English names (with the original names in big flashing english letters on the screen).

What's surprising about it? These terms are used because they're easier, simple as that. There's no confusion as to who is being referred to when the terms Boxer/Dictator/Claw are used :)

slash000 on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    Gaebril wrote: »
    grim123 wrote: »
    in other news the ridge has left a permanent scratch on the right side of my screen protector but it could be because I'm always trying to rub away the mark it leaves
    2011-04-09234812.jpg

How common is this screen-ridge problem? Is it an inherent design problem with all 3DS units, or more like a production QA problem that only affects a few units? I really want to get a 3DS, but if this issue is common I might wait for a fix.

As long as you don't somehow manage to make your screen thicker, you'll probably be fine.

mine seems to have developed a very slight permanent scratch, only visible so far when I tilt it so the light hits it just right. I'm planning on warrantying this 3ds eventually since it's 3d viewing angles are *really* wonky (need to line your eyes up with the border on the edge of the right side of the screen for the 3d to work) but it definitely seems to be a big enough problem i'll be putting a top screen protector on when i get a new one

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just keep a thin cleaning cloth between the top and bottom when my 3DS is closed.

CrewMember169 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    *sigh* A friend just said fuck the 3DS and any other Capcom game that they ever make just because Ace Attorney Inv. 2 isn't getting localized. He's a smart one... *eye roll*

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    slash000 wrote: »
    First time I heard "Dictator", "Boxer", and "Claw", it caught me off guard. That's awfully politically correct. And I heard it from the fighting community of all places. Even when watching/commenting on a Japanese version of SF, like AE, I still use the English names (with the original names in big flashing english letters on the screen).

What's surprising about it? These terms are used because they're easier, simple as that. There's no confusion as to who is being referred to when the terms Boxer/Dictator/Claw are used :)

Who said anything about surprising? It caught me off guard, as in, I took a double-take with my brain. "Dictator? Oh. I guess you mean Bison. Why not just call him Bison?"

What I like most about the original names is how Balrog is referred to as M.Bison (as a play on Mike Tyson) so all of his Ultras have some form of buffalo or bull in their naming scheme.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who said anything about surprising? It caught me off guard, as in, I took a double-take with my brain. "Dictator? Oh. I guess you mean Bison. Why not just call him Bison?"
    awkward if you're talking with a japanese player. which happens a lot nowadays

Seol on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Guess I should specify that it's mostly in the context of speaking with an English-speaker. Of course, even then I'll occasionally hear the universal nicknames from them. And if a Japanese player wants to say the names he/she is accustomed to, I'm fine with that.

Let's not even start on the whole Gouki/Akuma thing!

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Picked up another 12 streetpasses today, but didn't really stay long.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    slash000 wrote: »
    Most the complaints that I've heard were that the graphics were fairly meh, not bad just meh, and that it is a port of a 2 year old iPhone game that you can get for a few bucks on the iPhone for 40 bucks on the 3DS. Just like Rayman.

You know, I dug into that a little bit. I think a good number of assets and the design is from the iPhone version. As I understand it, the app is $5 or something, and most of the content is paid-for DLC from the in-game shop. I just figure, hey, if I get all that content plus the extra cars/tracks they supposedly added to this one, plus good controls / 3D effects, it about balances out.

edit: plus the iPhone version controls like shit. Even after they patched it.

edit: watched some iPhone gameplay - I'm pretty sure a lot of the assets in the 3DS version are the same. Cars and tracks that are shared between the two appear to be identical. I guess the question then, is, a) did they add anything beyond the total purchaseable content of the iphone version or is it the same game, and b) if you bought all the DLC of the iphone version, I wonder if you end up paying less or about the same as the $40 3ds game.

Oh well, not gonna worry about it, just gonna go enjoy the game.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The game feels like a complete piece in and of itself, the Grand Prix mode is pretty long, all of the tracks, cars and music are Ridge Racer classics (so whilst there's no new content, it hasn't really suffered from iPhone "we have to knock this out in 2 months" style development) and the depth and sense of speed is amazing. I'd wager that you haven't yet moved up to the category-3 cars yet - the increase in pacing will be amazing when you do.

Plus, and it's a big plus, - it's a racer for the first handheld system ever to have an appropriate analogue control scheme.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    Mr. EyeballMr. Eyeball Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm a bit surprised at how little hype the 3DS got. I haven't even ever seen a single television add for the thing here (I'm in Belgium). Personally, I was really pumped for this (and still am), but I just don't care for the launch titles. When the OOT remake, the new paper mario game and the new platformer mario (did I get that right? 3d mario with 2d mechanics? Made by the team that made Galaxy? fucks yes) get released, it'll be a different story.

Mr. Eyeball on
    vryplntwwereahisdeath.jpg
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's no concrete information on Mario 3D yet

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    We know it's the Galaxy team, and we have some WIP screenshots.

Seol on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I played the hell out of Shadow Wars this weekend. Man that game is fun. Quite a bit of content too. I keep getting disappointed that they havn't done a classic X-Com "Terror Mission" though. They keep having missions that sound exactly like the setup for one - "There are terrorists in this town and civilians are still around, so be careful of civilian casulties." But every time that's a lie, either there are no civilians, or the mechanic is different (one mission you went to the houses and physically controlled the civilians). Such a shame, seems like that kind of mission would be great for this game.

The skirmish maps have been pretty fun too. I have no clue how to do that Lighthouse engineer one though, seems impossible (I'm playing all of these on elite though). Do you ever get more than three engineers? Seems like every time the enemies focus-fire the engineers until they die, even with the cover from the lighthouse. Then the turrets just get overwhelmed (and it's bullshit that the snipers can attack them from outside their range).

Also played the Zombie Survival one, that was great. A little on the easy side once you get an upgrade though - just pick Engineer and now you've got 5 units instead of 4 :P Plus the turret can suppression fire any zombies that get too close. Ghost works amazingly well here too, since he can be revealed and with the zombies all being melee-only, get no retaliation fire :) Surprised there was only one "fast zombie" - seemed like it would have been a good way to ramp up the difficulty near the end but instead there was only one of em. *shrug*

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    dabichodabicho Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shrug. It's a list straight from GameFAQs, I make no attempt to differentiate between platinum or silver, it's just what the list says.

Also anything that says Balrog/Bison/Vega on the internet is not to be trusted, since those names are switched around in the Japanese versions and some people are purists who insist on using the "real" name, while others try to be all-encompassing and say things like "boxer" or "dictator."

No problem.
    That's informative.
    I have never been a fan of fighting games in general so I don't know the background of Street Fighter and found it strange that there were those inconsistencies all around the net as they would become obvious once you use the codes.

The thing about the colors was just a comment. Ryu's figure is actually called Platinum when you receive it, but color wise it looks the same to me as the silver ones, so I wondered if there was more to it.

I only wish I could move the camera and zoom on the figures.

dabicho on
    wii code: 7010-3939-4467-0035
    Xbox 360: LovedWheel60
    3ds: 3609-1043-0230
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So I played the hell out of Shadow Wars this weekend. Man that game is fun. Quite a bit of content too. I keep getting disappointed that they havn't done a classic X-Com "Terror Mission" though. They keep having missions that sound exactly like the setup for one - "There are terrorists in this town and civilians are still around, so be careful of civilian casulties." But every time that's a lie, either there are no civilians, or the mechanic is different (one mission you went to the houses and physically controlled the civilians). Such a shame, seems like that kind of mission would be great for this game.

The skirmish maps have been pretty fun too. I have no clue how to do that Lighthouse engineer one though, seems impossible (I'm playing all of these on elite though). Do you ever get more than three engineers? Seems like every time the enemies focus-fire the engineers until they die, even with the cover from the lighthouse. Then the turrets just get overwhelmed (and it's bullshit that the snipers can attack them from outside their range).

Also played the Zombie Survival one, that was great. A little on the easy side once you get an upgrade though - just pick Engineer and now you've got 5 units instead of 4 :P Plus the turret can suppression fire any zombies that get too close. Ghost works amazingly well here too, since he can be revealed and with the zombies all being melee-only, get no retaliation fire :) Surprised there was only one "fast zombie" - seemed like it would have been a good way to ramp up the difficulty near the end but instead there was only one of em. *shrug*

I think i read somewhere about the engineer lighthouse map that you can get a total of 5 different engineers by evacing your engineer after you drop his gun, so you end up with 5 guns.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

How did you set up the turrets? And yes, you get at least one more engineer. I can't recall if I did that one on Veteran or Elite, but I passed it and got 4.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That's my problem then, my engineers must be dying before I am offered a 4th, unless that is the "elite" part of it that you only get 3?

I've tried a number of different turret setups. The most effective I found was to put them bordering the lighthouse itself so my engineers wouldn't have to leave to repair them (any repair attempt otherwise was pretty much a guarenteed sacrifice of said engineer... there were just too many enemies and they ALL target the engineers first).

I really don't know how to protect my engineers outside of maybe splitting them up so some are not in the lighthouse? I dunno. Even never leaving the lighthouse they would be slaughtered (nevermind the bullshit-edness of your new engineer spawning outside and one time actually being killed in the turn before I could even move him).

Edit: You can evac them? How?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone know of any 3DS deals going on? I wanted to give up and buy Street Fighter IV

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Mr. EyeballMr. Eyeball Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Jintor wrote: »

Well, from those screenshots it looks like a 3d mario with 2d mechanics, right? Small mario, "?" blocks, raccoon tail.
      I want to believe :(

Mr. Eyeball on
      vryplntwwereahisdeath.jpg
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      There's not really anything inherently 2D about those elements. "Old school," I suppose.
      dabicho wrote: »
      I only wish I could move the camera and zoom on the figures.

Me too! I wish it was like Smash Bros, with full camera control, changing backgrounds, and setting them up in a scene to take 3D photos of them.

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      That's my problem then, my engineers must be dying before I am offered a 4th, unless that is the "elite" part of it that you only get 3?

I've tried a number of different turret setups. The most effective I found was to put them bordering the lighthouse itself so my engineers wouldn't have to leave to repair them (any repair attempt otherwise was pretty much a guarenteed sacrifice of said engineer... there were just too many enemies and they ALL target the engineers first).

I really don't know how to protect my engineers outside of maybe splitting them up so some are not in the lighthouse? I dunno. Even never leaving the lighthouse they would be slaughtered (nevermind the bullshit-edness of your new engineer spawning outside and once actually being killed in the turn before I could even move him).

Edit: You can evac them? How?

Don't know what he means by evac them. I only got additional by having them in the lighthouse.

What I did (EDIT: This was on Veteran. I just tried it on Elite. Yeah, that's freaking ridiculous):
      Had a triangle of turrets just outside the entrance to the lighthouse. Looked like this (and yes, I know the spacing isn't accurate, I'm doing this off the top of my head):

...x...
      ..x.x..
      ---.---
      ........|
      LLLLL|
      LLLLL|

Where the dashed line is the fence around the lighthouse. Occasionally had enemies attack from the right side, but even so, the turrets could take them out. Again, can't remember if I was on Veteran or Elite.

pslong9 on
      steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      There's not really anything inherently 2D about those elements. "Old school," I suppose.
      They're elements common to all 2D Marios, and missing from 3D Marios. So they're not 2D mechanics... they're 2D Mario mechanics.

Seol on
    • Options
      vamenvamen Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      I just want my Paper Mario 3DS

vamen on
    • Options
      Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
      edited April 2011
    • Options
      MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
      edited April 2011

As a 30-something, I sit on the bus (would sit on an airplane too) playing SSFIV, Bubble Bobble, and Pokémon on this lovely 3DS system in plain sight. I would also happily sit there and play on the NGP when it comes out.

I see what Jack is trying to do. But he can't change the concept that hand-held=kid's toy by denouncing a large percentage of the demographic that would be buying into the NGP (Old 2008 research, couldn't find anything current).

In short...LAME.

MonkeyConQueso on
      PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
      Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      It's the Blur marketing blunder all over again.

Seol on
    • Options
      edited April 2011

As a 30-something, I sit on the bus (would sit on an airplane too) playing SSFIV, Bubble Bobble, and Pokémon on this lovely 3DS system in plain sight. I would also happily sit there and play on the NGP when it comes out.

I see what Jack is trying to do. But he can't change the concept that hand-held=kid's toy by denouncing a large percentage of the demographic that would be buying into the NGP (Old 2008 research, couldn't find anything current).

In short...LAME.

Bubble Bobble, or Bust a Move? :P Because god damn I would love to play me some Bubble Bobble on 3DS, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist (yet).

Anyways, yeah this is old news. It's especially stupid because Sony is trying to market PSP to a young market (see retarded ad campaign).

Kind of reminds me of that one e3 where they said DS was for children, and then followed up by announcing the awesome-new Hanna Montana PSP.

Warlock82 on
    • Options
      MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
      edited April 2011

In short...LAME.

Bubble Bobble, or Bust a Move? :P Because god damn I would love to play me some Bubble Bobble on 3DS, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist (yet).

Anyways, yeah this is old news. It's especially stupid because Sony is trying to market PSP to a young market (see retarded ad campaign).

Kind of reminds me of that one e3 where they said DS was for children, and then followed up by announcing the awesome-new Hanna Montana PSP.

Durrr, yeah, Bust A Move. I wish Bubble Bobble was re-made as well. Bleah.

And yeah, Sony's attack on Nintendo's "kiddie" oriented platforms is nothing new. This is just a renewal of the attack, and this take on the market is going to show up to some degree in their ads, and as you said the market focus is still young teen.

MonkeyConQueso on
      PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
      Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Because god damn I would love to play me some Bubble Bobble on 3DS, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist (yet).

I don't know if I'd trust it if it did come out, since AFAIK the last one was riddles with bugs and not even completable.

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      Because god damn I would love to play me some Bubble Bobble on 3DS, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist (yet).

I don't know if I'd trust it if it did come out, since AFAIK the last one was riddles with bugs and not even completable.

Which one? Bubble Bobble Plus on WiiWare was pretty fantastic. I think it did have a few bugs (and at least a couple kill spots) but it was definitely completable. I'm still not 100% sure if the bubbles poping instantly was a bug or a "true to the arcade version" thing. I much prefer NES's mechanics if it was the later ;)

Edit: Actually I would totally just take a 3d version of the NES one as a "3d Classic" (or whatever they are calling it, I can never remember)

Warlock82 on
    • Options
      LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Well, I took my shinny new 3DS with me to the closest population center worth a crap where I am. I went shopping center/mall/shopping center/back to mall (with an extended GameStop trip)/resturant/home...

...and I had a whopping Grand Total of ZERO Streetpasses :(

Damnit.

Oh and a couple of game observations (as if you care):

Ridge Racer: Impressive sense of speed. I dont think I can play a racing game without 3D now. Works perfect as a tech demo for the hardware.

GR:SW: Glad I got this game. Deepest of the launch titles I think. Still digging into this one.

Madden: What can I say? I'm a football junkie. While the title isn't deep, it has the MOST IMPRESSIVE 3D use of all the titles I've seen so far. Excellent combination of depth and popout. I also feel that the contols and playstyle actually mimic it's larger counterparts, which if you've played the previous DS offerings, then you know thats a achivement in and of itself.

LutExIV on
      26965406221_865f825658.jpg
      Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
    • Options
      DracilDracil Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Take your 3DS out at gamestop, and play with it. Anyone with a 3DS will probably make a beeline towards you.

Dracil on
      3DS: 2105-8644-6304
      Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
      MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    • Options
      JintorJintor Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Or you'll attract a horde of excitable youngsters and get dirty looks for the rest of the day

...what?

Jintor on
    • Options
      Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
      edited April 2011

Oh COME ON!

Is Jack Tretton 12? I used to do this shit back when I was in elementary school. Tretton could show a little decorum.

This reminds me of that CNN review that was linked in the last thread. What is it about Nintendo handhelds that gets these guys' panties in a bunch?

Descendant X on
      Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    • Options
      RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      edited April 2011

Oh COME ON!

Is Jack Tretton 12? I used to do this shit back when I was in elementary school. Tretton could show a little decorum.

This reminds me of that CNN review that was linked in the last thread. What is it about Nintendo handhelds that gets these guys' panties in a bunch?

That kind of smack talk is nothing new. I remember back in the Ps2/Gamecube/Xbox days some Microsoft bigwig saying you should go with Nintendo if you want the "Fisher Price experience". It's childish and petty, but unfortunately works pretty well on their target audience.

RidleySaria on
      -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      edited April 2011
      And this isn't the first stupid thing ol' Jacky has said. Just take it as another "LOL Tretton" moment.

V Faction on
    • Options
      AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Any Aussies feel like a Street Fighter match? I just tried some randoms online but got put against a Guile spammer with 3000ish PP and couldn't find anyone when I searched for 'same skill'. I have 0 PP and regularly lose to normal-difficulty CPUs, so someone equally shit would be welcome.

AnteCantelope on
    • Options
      LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      How in the devil do I change the scaling options for DS games? I can't find it anywhere.

Lorahalo on
      I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    • Options
      PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
      edited April 2011
      Lorahalo wrote: »
      How in the devil do I change the scaling options for DS games? I can't find it anywhere.

Hold start or select as you start the game. It says so in the manual and I think it's also in the notification you get the first time you run a DS game.

Peewi on