Options

[Internet Dating] 'It built character.' - But only after you get them dates!!

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    I've pretty much given up on online dating. Most profiles of girls in my city feature some combination of my turn-offs, those few that remain and that I message never reply to me, and the girls that contact me first are repulsively ugly. Right now I feel that my back-up plan (working in my windowless office on campus) is both more productive and as likely to get me to meet a datable girl.

Are you still in Thunder Bay? You are the guy who was in Thunder Bay, right?

Yeah, I think online dating really works best when a city has enough critical mass to actually have people use such a site. I'm going to be single in the near future (not that I'm in any rush to date people, mind), but it is reassuring to be around a city that people actually want to go to.

Yup, I'm in Thunder Bay. And yes, critical mass is an issue (that is, critical mass of users, not critical mass of the users). The POF "my matches" thing defaults to province-wide results because there are not enough local users... just to tease me with the massive number of hot compatible women who live in Toronto.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    I work with lasers and am building a computer-controlled adjustable-frequency one right now

how do I jazz that up?
    Joolander wrote:
    I build rainbow lasers

??

What is the purpose of the lasers you work with?

its really just proof of concept right now

but eventually they could be used in things like combination optical drives (so you wouldn't need more than one laser to read/write different media) or they could let hospitals buy one piece of equipment if they need say both an argon laser an a gamma-scalpel

Dude I think "I am an experimental laser scientist" is probably a pretty awesome thing to have in your "what I'm doing with my life" box.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You work on Rainbow Lasers?

I am jealous.

Also, I too shut down my OKC profile. The matches I was getting were pretty meh as well, and the people who would contact me, like Richy, are just... no.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    I've pretty much given up on online dating. Most profiles of girls in my city feature some combination of my turn-offs, those few that remain and that I message never reply to me, and the girls that contact me first are repulsively ugly.
    Weird. I don't remember typing up this post, but I must have.

Wait a minute, Richy isn't my username! What's going on here!?

Double lime for reading my mind as well.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think it's important not to be too selective in your reading of other peoples' profiles. I have dealbreakers like anyone else does, but remember that the "people suck at communication" maxim applies just as readily to profiles as it does to messages.

In the end, all you lose is the five minutes it takes to compose a message.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    nonplussednonplussed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, dudes. I'm in San Diego and, to borrow a friend's line, it's a target rich environment.

Of weirdos

I jest. Mostly.

Take a look here and see if there's anything I need to say better. For science.

Be brutal. It will be the only way I learn.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/thinksindarkblu

Edit: Also, how should I approach a first message? It seems like such a crap shoot whether or not you say something that's right in her wheelhouse.

nonplussed on
    Xbox GT: namplussed
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    forty wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    So I'm having a nice back and forth conversation with this girl on PoF, and she invites me to chat with her on yahoo. I had to figure out what the heck my account with yahoo was in the first place but eventually get it and add her to my contact list / msg her. And then she proceeds to say nothing for an hour and log off.

Girls are just weird sometimes.
    Did you send her a message on PoF with your Yahoo account/screen name? Maybe she didn't even see your message since it might have appeared to be coming from "some random account."

Oh I did. She responded at first with like a few sentences. Also granted I was kind of just chilling before work and eating food ect so I didn't make a ton of effort in trying to get a convo going. I just kind of figured she maybe you know, would perpetuate the conversation abit more given she was the one to invite me there in the first place.

I'll give it another shot later and see how it goes.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    nonplussed wrote: »
    Edit: Also, how should I approach a first message? It seems like such a crap shoot whether or not you say something that's right in her wheelhouse.

I'm no expert, but I've just found something in their profile to ask about / comment on, and go from there.

That, or the perennial "How you doin'..."

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Is anyone actually meeting women (or men if you're into that) off of this thing? Unless I missed something, nothing in the past week has been posted about anyone getting some of that good internet action.

I mean, this is internet dating. Unless you're living in the sticks, I don't think it's that tough to get something going with someone. In my area, there are 25 pages of women who were online in the past 24 hours on Plentyoffish. Figure ten results a page, that's 250 eligible ladies. And that's just Asian women between the ages of 22 and 37. If you eliminate the race criteria (but keep the age criteria), you easily hit the 600 page limit of women online in the past 24 hours. So thousands, tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of eager women out there.

So somebody take the LearnedHand Challenge. A different hot Asian gal every week. And she doesn't even have to be hot or Asian. Although, big bonus points if you mange that.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    i'm meeting a lot of women

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Organichu wrote: »

Care to share your experiences?

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Care to share your experiences?

i mean, i live in a pretty large city (philadelphia), and there seems to be a strong OKC presence. i no longer really send out messages and i still get laid a couple of times a month from incoming. i'm no model, either.

i dunno. i've posted my profile here before; i guess i'm doing something right.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i mean, i live in a pretty large city (philadelphia), and there seems to be a strong OKC presence. i no longer really send out messages and i still get laid a couple of times a month from incoming. i'm no model, either.

i dunno. i've posted my profile here before; i guess i'm doing something right.

Sweet, I guess. Have you tried Plentyoffish? There's a gal in Philadelphia that appears right up your alley. Her screen name is "boypopper". No picture but...she's into some pretty out there stuff.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i''ve had terrible luck. then again my pool is about 5% as big as all you whiners

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright, so after a few months out of the scene and getting situated back home I threw my hat back into the ring again. Messaged a few cute girls on POF since there's a bigger Texas scene for that.

Hopefully something comes up!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is anyone actually meeting women (or men if you're into that) off of this thing? Unless I missed something, nothing in the past week has been posted about anyone getting some of that good internet action.

I mean, this is internet dating. Unless you're living in the sticks, I don't think it's that tough to get something going with someone. In my area, there are 25 pages of women who were online in the past 24 hours on Plentyoffish. Figure ten results a page, that's 250 eligible ladies. And that's just Asian women between the ages of 22 and 37. If you eliminate the race criteria (but keep the age criteria), you easily hit the 600 page limit of women online in the past 24 hours. So thousands, tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of eager women out there.

So somebody take the LearnedHand Challenge. A different hot Asian gal every week. And she doesn't even have to be hot or Asian. Although, big bonus points if you mange that.

Well, I'm alittle picky because I'm really looking for something beyond just hookups and other short term stuff. Also Greensboro, NC isn't exactly a huge town (about medium I'd guess) so I'm not sure how many women actually use online dating here honestly. I've had a few dates from online dating before, but not during this 'run'. Still, I am trying to be really patient this time around.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Well, I'm alittle picky because I'm really looking for something beyond just hookups and other short term stuff. Also Greensboro, NC isn't exactly a huge town (about medium I'd guess) so I'm not sure how many women actually use online dating here honestly. I've had a few dates from online dating before, but not during this 'run'. Still, I am trying to be really patient this time around.

That's sensible. I don't understand random internet hookups myself. Who's doing this? I mean, obviously some people are (e.g. Organichu). But I'm not seeing it. And all the women I've met off the internet...for one thing, I wouldn't be interested in any amorous activity with any of them (bar one or two). But also, I don't think any were really into that. None spring to mind, anyway.

Actually, now that I think of it, I suppose some were looser than others. I guess if I played my cards right, I could have finagled some quick loving out of it. But again...not interested in virtually any of these women.

In any event, I found a woman for you on Plentyoffish: lovelylaolady. I don't know how old you are and she's 35 so maybe a bit out of your comfort zone. And she's not a traditional beauty but she's presumably Laotian (like in King of the Hill). So maybe that's just the way many of those people look. And she's just wearing a bra in her main picture so you know she's up for a good time.

But not too good because she's also interested in finding a man of God. I assume she was born in the US then. I was surprised to find on Wikipedia that Greensboro has a (small) Asian population. Anyway, she also has at least one kid but she's 35. It would be a bit odd if she didn't.

She has a weird possibly copy and paste list of what she's looking for. For example, she wants a guy who will kiss her after she "curses" at him. Seems the sort of thing to discuss with a therapist.

But whatever. The thing that pushed me over was at the very end, she tells you not to buy Valvoline oil. She apparently had some problem with their oil messing up her engine (something about "o rings"...hehe) and now Valvoline won't replace her engine. So now she's spreading the word about how evil the Valvoline corporation is. I found it fucking hilarious. On a dating profile, she's telling you not to buy a particular brand of oil. And does anybody else even make engine oil? It's my impression that Valvoline is the 800 gorilla of automotive oils.

Anyway, if I was in Greensborough, I'd be all over that.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I disabled my account, denizens of PA. Partly because I met someone that I'm crazy about who is equally crazy about me, but mostly because, if this doesn't work out, then I wanna take a break from the dating world for awhile.

Ages on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mazel tov Ages

best of luck

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't understand random internet hookups myself. Who's doing this? I mean, obviously some people are (e.g. Organichu).

It's awesome.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You have strange tastes Hand, but thanks...I guess? I think I'll take a pass on miss anti-Valvoline there.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's the thought of using a bunch of pics from the same day?

Went to a renaissance fair yesterday and got some great pics of me yesterday during and after it. I'm obviously wearing the same outfit in all of them.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd pick the best one and just use that. Unless there are two that are just so awesome or somehow different enough.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Two is fine if they're different and both awesome. But you'd want at least 2 other pictures to balance it out, I'd think.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    random hookups are fun but eventually I realized I was just rolling the dice for herpes or something

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jesus christ light me on fucking fire... find a girl I could really like, we get on great in person but as soon as she leaves my sight she barely acknowledges my existence... maybe respond to one text in three.

What is this hot and cold bullshit and why must I suffer through it right at a time when I need something normal!?!?

You'd think after she's been in my bed several times she'd start, you know, fucking msging me back sometimes?

Sorry... just annoyed. Was so not interested in seeing anyone then I run into a girl that instantly makes me anxious and nervous like a school kid again... fuck i'm too old for this bullshit.

Docken on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Docken wrote: »
    Jesus christ light me on fucking fire... find a girl I could really like, we get on great in person but as soon as she leaves my sight she barely acknowledges my existence... maybe respond to one text in three.

What is this hot and cold bullshit and why must I suffer through it right at a time when I need something normal!?!?

You'd think after she's been in my bed several times she'd start, you know, fucking msging me back sometimes?

Sorry... just annoyed. Was so not interested in seeing anyone then I run into a girl that instantly makes me anxious and nervous like a school kid again... fuck i'm too old for this bullshit.

she's probably trying to drop you indirectly

it's the way it's done these days

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah that's how i'm reading it... but several of my much more experienced friends (ie experienced at game theory) are saying she's just doing this as part of the "get to know" stage of things. She's also invited me to her Bday party at the end of the week, which sorta suggests she does want to see me? I guess??

So now apparently I have to not doing anything for a couple of days and then write some sort of throw away txt in order to play the game...

Things would be so much easier if I was right (not better, just easier), but I guess I will follow my friend's advice and see what happens.

Docken on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maybe she just doesn't like texting? Have you thought to ask her?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    She'll probably answer if you ask her if she's trying to break up with you.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't actually say we're "an item" yet... its that weird in-between stage.

Normally at this point there's lots of texting going back in forth (in my experience). Not with this one!

Basically its that point where its a little too early to say "hey, what are we really doing here?" but long enough along (ie she's spent the night several times) to be expecting a lot more feedback when texting.

Maybe she doesn't like texting, but I seriously doubt it... she receives a bucket load of texts so I would be surprised.

Sorry to clutter up the thread with my teenage drama bullshit... really thought I was past this, because I guess not.

Docken on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, don't do that. Also stop texting her so much.

edit: Just be cool. Relax.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Contrary to whats presented here i'm not texting her all that much - ie if no response on text I don't text until the next day.

Ok it's done no more bitching. Back to your regularly scheduled program!

May update on whether I crash and burn later this week though - if nothing else it will provide some entertainment for the rest of you.

Docken on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    random hookups are fun but eventually I realized I was just rolling the dice for herpes or something

:lol:

riz on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't understand random internet hookups myself. Who's doing this? I mean, obviously some people are (e.g. Organichu).

It's awesome.

what is there to understand? you meet people from internet dating sites, you get banged if you play your cards right. done and done.

retrovm on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i re-instated my account for my impending move to los angeles in about 3 weeks. aww yeah. here's hoping the dudes of southern california don't suck as much as the dudes of the tri-state area.

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    oh I'm certain you'll find men are shifty layabouts no matter where you go

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    retrovm wrote: »
    i re-instated my account for my impending move to los angeles in about 3 weeks. aww yeah. here's hoping the dudes of southern california don't suck as much as the dudes of the tri-state area.

My sister lives in San Diego. Her roommate always seems to have a bad story to tell involving men that she dates from that city.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i mean, i'm not meeting people solely to hookup. if i find myself gravitating to one of these girls, i'd definitely be interested in pursuing something longer term and monogamous. but oftentimes that determination (and usually it's a no) isn't reached until after we've had sex.

Organichu on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I went with what I thought was the best 2 pics and put them up. Can I get some thoughts on them while I wait for my Best Face report and my profile?

My SN is Brownchiclets

Kyougu on