Options

[Internet Dating] 'It built character.' - But only after you get them dates!!

• Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I pretty much look for these things:

-Any hair color other than blond (I really dislike the color)
    -At least curvy if not skinny
    -20 or older (I just can't date someone who's a senior in high school at 21 now...)
    -Someone who isn't all about music. I've done 3 dates with "music critics" and found that most of my music is garbage and I should feel bad. Also, they don't seem to hold conversations very well.
    - Someone who doesn't have Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, or other stupid reality shows as stuff they watch. To me, anyone who watches that garbage is not worth my time.

But I guess I'm pretty shallow :P

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love Teen Mom. You wouldn't want to date me though. Coincidence?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    I love Teen Mom. You wouldn't want to date me though. Coincidence?

I just hate reality shows. Even Beauty and the Geek. I use to like Fear Factor and Survivor but these new ones just really show the worst in humanity to the point that I'm praying for the zombie apocalypses. But that means rednecks will rule the earth so I'm kinda scared about that.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    do think this picture is too much? i'm wanting another recent outdoors picture and this one of the few "good" ones i have, its a still form a recent project, im reaaaally not sure about the gun so im wondering if either i should:

A: upload it as is with an explanation as to wtf is going on.

B: crop the the gun out but explain why the colour is like it is.

or C: trash it.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8871/70sgrindhouselook.jpg (forgot to resize it but this is pretty much it)

also whats the jazz on using the same picture twice but you have a different expression in each.. yay or nay? it looked weird having it but after uploading some other pictures its not as weird..

this photo is hot. unf.

retrovm on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    retrovm wrote: »
    do think this picture is too much? i'm wanting another recent outdoors picture and this one of the few "good" ones i have, its a still form a recent project, im reaaaally not sure about the gun so im wondering if either i should:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8871/70sgrindhouselook.jpg (forgot to resize it but this is pretty much it)

also whats the jazz on using the same picture twice but you have a different expression in each.. yay or nay? it looked weird having it but after uploading some other pictures its not as weird..

this photo is hot. unf.

I ended up cropping out the gun.. read some image help stuff on the site and they said something about shots were point a gun makes you look uncivilized and showed that pic of the hairy guy posing on his bed naked with his weapon collection. :?

Heres what my profile looks like at the moment, kinda happy with it but now im being ridiculously indecisive about putting the full picture back in. :? :lol:

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

this photo is hot. unf.

I ended up cropping out the gun.. read some image help stuff on the site and they said something about shots were point a gun makes you look uncivilized and showed that pic of the hairy guy posing on his bed naked with his weapon collection. :?

Heres what my profile looks like at the moment, kinda happy with it but now im being ridiculously indecisive about putting the full picture back in. :? :lol:

For the record, that pic of you isn't in the same universe as hairy-naked-gun-collection-guy. Just saying. haha

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

this photo is hot. unf.

wtf, it's a unique picture and you look good in it.

add a funny caption and you have a solid picture. I wouldn't read too much into OKCUPID statistics.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

this photo is hot. unf.

Those are generalizations, which means the data is swamped by pricks with real guns who thinks it actually makes them more manly to own one. A fake gun in a fun pose is completely different and off the trendline.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ok good points.. Guess I was thrown by hairy naked guy.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I flipped open my local college paper and saw a big article about a local speed dating/matchmaking service... should I go?

I am pretty happy and great at meeting people, I just work a lot and it's hard to meet people outside of that when you're old. My local meetups are all knitting/parent groups. I think I have to meet someone there and submit to a background check which would be fine.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    for a while my main pic was me with a gun

(this one)
    6845932124294927144.jpeg

and i live in a big, liberal city without lots of gun people

i got a lot of positive messages- plenty with lead-ins about my profile photo, and how it made them laugh

so i mean- while i'm sure there's the occasional girl who'll see the picture and move on because of it, i don't think it's the biggest deal in the world

Organichu on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I flipped open my local college paper and saw a big article about a local speed dating/matchmaking service... should I go?

I am pretty happy and great at meeting people, I just work a lot and it's hard to meet people outside of that when you're old. My local meetups are all knitting/parent groups. I think I have to meet someone there and submit to a background check which would be fine.

I'm not seeing a downside here, unless this is run by a Nigerian prince and you're being matched with one of his family fortunes. If you think it could help, and it's not going to cause you some kind of problem, then why not? Vary your routine and meet someone you might not otherwise have crossed paths with.

Bobble on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    for a while my main pic was me with a gun

(this one)
    6845932124294927144.jpeg

and i live in a big, liberal city without lots of gun people

i got a lot of positive messages- plenty with lead-ins about my profile photo, and how it made them laugh

so i mean- while i'm sure there's the occasional girl who'll see the picture and move on because of it, i don't think it's the biggest deal in the world
    over_the_stars2.jpg

!!

But yeah.. as with certain other "that might scare off the ladies!" debates, like fangs, it's all a matter of what you care about scaring off. If a prospective lady is going to get that put off by a prop gun, she is perhaps not the sort of lady you'd be interested in meeting in the first place.

riz on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    what is this i hear about prop guns

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    hahaha.

riz on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    hey guys, which one of the two pictures on my profile should i use as the main image, the most recent or the half a year old one? or should i just burn them all and start again?

http://www.plentyoffish.com/member18809377.htm

Both are fine, Doctor.

(You are totally David Tennant.)
    I'm so glad someone else thought this. =D

So anyone have tips on how to write Ice Breaking messages. I don't want to repeat what my profile says (Rob_Gamer) but I do want to make it pop to this girl. She's cute, nerdy, put 360 down as things she couldn't live without and has a fascination with zombie films.

I don't have any specific suggestions other than no "hi"s or "what's up"s or "sup dawg"s or the like. It should be substantial in length but not too substantial because then you look pathetic. I recommend three sentences. I don't recommend compliments or references to her appearance in general. Reference something that she wrote but don't be obvious about it because most people probably reference something that she wrote and it's tiring.

Anyway, the real reason I replied was to question why you're so concerned about finding somebody else who plays video games. I mean, you can look for whatever you want. It's up to you. But it just seems odd to me.

I like video games as much as the next guy but it never occurred to me to find a gal who shares my passion for Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. For me, video games is a solo affair. Or if I had male friends and I was younger than I am, I might play video games with them. And I play TF2 online so I guess that's technically with other people. Over the internet, anyway.

But I like doing different things with women. I like going to the cinema with them and having meals with them and some stuff I'll tell you about when you're older. Video games are nowhere on the list.

So genuinely, are you looking for somebody to play X-Box or whatever with? As like a date? Do people do that? Video game dates? And there are women who are up for this? And these are actually successful dates?

I mean, I only have a PS2 but say I find somebody who agrees to play Tomb Raider: Legend with me. I don't even know if it's a two-player game. Probably isn't. I've never played it but I have it because it came with the system. But do you think this could lead to real-life copulation? Well, Lara Croft might be more for me. But for her, we could play some Hitman 2 or FIFA 2005. I never played those either but the cover of Hitman 2 has a muscular man on it and women like "football" players, I guess. So those might get her going.

I know a guy (online) who brought a girl he met on the internet to an arcade. From his description, it was clear that she was bored out of her mind. I'm pretty sure there was no second date. And I have no idea what he was thinking when he brought a date to an arcade (I think they were both in their late 20s).

So I'm genuinely interested. Do people do this? Video game dates? You say she's a nerd but do even nerd girls play video games on dates? What other video game stuff could you do? Video game conventions? That's all I can think of. Is there any amorous cosplay a possibility? Like she'd dress up as Mai Shiranui and I could dress as...I don't know...Walugi. Let me know, I'm fascinated by this. You're not exactly the first guy here to mention that he's looking for a gal who likes video games.

You come across as a pretty awful person. Do you always try to talk down to people this much, or does it just come naturally?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For LearnedHand it absolutely comes natural. You should look up the comic he once posted on the board about his life. We also have a madlib for LH posts someone can probably drop on you.

My town is ramping up to girls in bikinis laying everywhere weather. It is making wanting to work very difficult.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    AgesAges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ages wrote: »
    Random creepy bullshit.

Haha, Past!Ages, you're so dumb!

So I've taken all of the advice of you wonderful people and cut out all contact with this person (86ed her phone, her Facebook, and what-have-you) and now I'm better for it. Still got a really good story out of this entire ordeal, but I'm gonna spare you those details.

The girl (a coworker) I had a very minor tryst with back in December kept trying to flirt with me recently, so I told her to ax it unless she had a genuine attraction to me and wanted to act on it.

I've got another encounter tonight with a girl I got pretty chatty with, but she refused to give me her number (which I can somewhat understand) so it's going to be a little difficult to know who she is when we meet up today.

I have another meeting with a girl I'm getting on really well with tomorrow night; we're gonna meet up (somewheres -- it hasn't been decided yet) and take a walk and hopefully spark something there.

So yeah, that's my dating life in a nutshell. I keep telling myself that I'm gonna give up soon, but people keep coming out of the wood work and making it difficult for me.

Ages on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyanbu wrote: »
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Arrrrgggghhhhh.

The girl I've been dating for the past three months and was starting to really fall for told me she didn't want a relationship last night after we went out to dinner. What the. I don't even...

Fuck.

Damn man sorry to hear that. So what the hell was that all about? Was she just milking you for personal reasons or did she just think you two where friends?

No no, nothing like that. She told me about a month after we met in person via okcupid that she wasn't ready for a serious relationship. Over the next couple months though it started to feel more and more like a relationship. We started calling each other "dear" and such, saw each other at least a couple times a week, and did relationshipy stuff. She invited me to watch her perform in a play at her old school, for example.

A couple weeks ago we got drunk together and I told her I was falling for her after I walked her home to the place she was house sitting. She seemed a bit distant in the following weeks and I asked her if something was wrong after dinner last week. She said that she still isn't ready for something serious, she let this go too far, and she still isn't quite over her ex. Much :( was had by both of us and she left with me not sure if I'd see her again.

We've talked since I posted that and agreed to meet up soon and see if we can figure things out. I still have some hope for this but I hate being so unsure about things.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    What's the deal with reasonably-attractive gals who are on these sites for ages? Maybe even years?

For instance, I see a young woman who I messaged maybe a year ago. She's still on there. Her pictures are her in lingerie and other attire that push her rather large breasts up to her neck. I'm pretty sure that she's real because her profile is, frankly, stupid. But it's the sort of stuff that people write. And she changes it often (along with her photos).

She must get hundreds of messages a day. Why would she still be on there? She hasn't found anybody in a year?

And I see other people like this. What's the angle? Do they just like free food that much? Are their standards insanely high?

I can understand people leaving and coming back. I do that myself. I can only stand internet dating in small doses. But I see people who are there continuously, logging in every day for months and years. I assume they're seeing loads of people, but I don't know. Maybe they're not meeting anyone and just like online adoration from random dudes.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Could be that guys look at her profile and her then think "She's out of my league. She's a 9, maybe a 10, and I'm like a 5. And you can't jump more than 2 points." and they don't message her, leaving only dicks who want to fuck her. Message her again and she want you get.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    hey guys, which one of the two pictures on my profile should i use as the main image, the most recent or the half a year old one? or should i just burn them all and start again?

http://www.plentyoffish.com/member18809377.htm

Both are fine, Doctor.

(You are totally David Tennant.)
    I'm so glad someone else thought this. =D

Hah yeah i actually get this quite alot (at least when i don't look like a had no sleep walking zombie and that tends to be alot of the time a lately) i wont lie, i have tried styling my hair like he does on a number of occasions when it was longer. :P

Doesn't help matters either when my mannerisms are kinda half his and half Matt Smiths but i talk like Bill Murray. :?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I just tried the Quicksearch thing on OKC and I have to say that I like it. I hate that I can't see the last time someone was online (I rated a girl who hasn't been around in over a year that I would have loved to meet) but I saw some folks I'm very interested in.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    riz wrote: »
    hahaha.

:p

not sure if you think i'm joking

i'm a legit gun nut

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    riz wrote: »
    hahaha.

:p

not sure if you think i'm joking

i'm a legit gun nut

I figured you were serious, but the whole exchange made me laugh. (And the gun in the photo he had been asking about before you replied with yours, I believe that WAS a prop.)

riz on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's the deal with reasonably-attractive gals who are on these sites for ages? Maybe even years?

For instance, I see a young woman who I messaged maybe a year ago. She's still on there. Her pictures are her in lingerie and other attire that push her rather large breasts up to her neck. I'm pretty sure that she's real because her profile is, frankly, stupid. But it's the sort of stuff that people write. And she changes it often (along with her photos).

She must get hundreds of messages a day. Why would she still be on there? She hasn't found anybody in a year?

And I see other people like this. What's the angle? Do they just like free food that much? Are their standards insanely high?

I can understand people leaving and coming back. I do that myself. I can only stand internet dating in small doses. But I see people who are there continuously, logging in every day for months and years. I assume they're seeing loads of people, but I don't know. Maybe they're not meeting anyone and just like online adoration from random dudes.

Yeah if its been a year since you've messaged her, I'd go ahead and send another one, chances are she's forgotten, or you can pretend you forgot. Worse case scenario is she doesn't reply, and it looks like she already did that. Just say something that isn't creepy and sets you aside from the million other guys who message her and say "you are pretty"

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know a guy (online) who brought a girl he met on the internet to an arcade. From his description, it was clear that she was bored out of her mind. I'm pretty sure there was no second date. And I have no idea what he was thinking when he brought a date to an arcade (I think they were both in their late 20s).

So I'm genuinely interested. Do people do this? Video game dates? You say she's a nerd but do even nerd girls play video games on dates? What other video game stuff could you do? Video game conventions? That's all I can think of. Is there any amorous cosplay a possibility? Like she'd dress up as Mai Shiranui and I could dress as...I don't know...Walugi. Let me know, I'm fascinated by this. You're not exactly the first guy here to mention that he's looking for a gal who likes video games.

Different strokes for different folks. My current girlfriend waffled on whether she wanted to keep seeing me after a few (movie watching) dates. But then she spent some time playing video games with me (we spent most of a day taking turns playing AssBro, and later in the week went to a bar and played Rock Band), got to know me somewhat better, and then we became an item after we went to sing karaoke and both our cars got towed (we stood in line at the tow lot for 3 hours together).

Anyway, we both play video games as a pastime, and she's (and I'll admit she's not excited, because it's not a game she plays) going to go to the local area pokemon championships with me. She threatened to cosplay too (She's mid 20s, I am very late 20s).

If anybody follows my very few contributions to this thread, this is the girl I had 2nd Thanksgiving with, so my advice to everybody in the thread is this:
    If you get a second date with a girl you're really into, cook a whole turkey like it's Thanksgiving. Something something tow truck.

Edit: And anyway, in Dallas we've got Barcadia, and if I met a girl who can't enjoy video games, booze, or giant Jenga, maybe she's not fun enough for me.

CowShark on
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah if its been a year since you've messaged her, I'd go ahead and send another one

I'm not interested. I was addressing a broad phenomena that I've seen. It's weird for reasonably-attractive women to be on a site every day for a year. It's not that they're not getting enough messages. Most women get dozens of messages a day. Chicks with their boobs hanging out get hundreds of messages. Something is very suspect about this situation. They're either going out with loads of dudes with no intention of having a real relationship or they're not going out with any dudes and obviously not looking for a real relationship.

This is why I think OkCupid allows you to search by how long they've been on the site. The longer you've been on the site, the more suspect your intentions. Particularly for women. No way does it a year for a reasonably-attractive woman to either:

a) Find somebody suitable and therefore no longer need the site.

or

b) Decide that online dating isn't for her.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CowShark wrote: »
    If you get a second date with a girl you're really into, cook a whole turkey like it's Thanksgiving. Something something tow truck.

I had a second date where she came over and we did the movies/etc thing but also did a dry run of cooking Thanksgiving since I was hosting my family for the first time that year. Did everything but the turkey because it was just two people.

Shoulda included the turkey, apparently :( :P

Jragghen on
  • Options
    MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    first date with a girl tonight, meeting up at starbucks. kinda nervous because i've only been on, like, 3 dates ever (the two girlfriends i had evolved from friendships...wasn't ever a "date" date).

as to the staying on for a year, one of my friends pointed out that some girls might be on dating sites for the voyeuristic aspect of it - no real motivation to actually meet anybody, but in it just to look and see what kind of people are on there.

MortalToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »

I had a second date where she came over and we did the movies/etc thing but also did a dry run of cooking Thanksgiving since I was hosting my family for the first time that year. Did everything but the turkey because it was just two people.

When I host Thanksgiving, I only cook the turkey, then have family bring over the stuff to fill out the meal. For mock Thanksgiving in January, I made turkey and potatoes, she brought over vegetables and cranberry sauce.

CowShark on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

When I host Thanksgiving, I only cook the turkey, then have family bring over the stuff to fill out the meal. For mock Thanksgiving in January, I made turkey and potatoes, she brought over vegetables and cranberry sauce.

I think hosting a Thanksgiving is like last on my list of relationship milestones. It goes;
    2nd wedding anniversary - Announcement of first child - hosting Thanksgiving - ???

That's an actual part of the list.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    as to the staying on for a year, one of my friends pointed out that some girls might be on dating sites for the voyeuristic aspect of it - no real motivation to actually meet anybody, but in it just to look and see what kind of people are on there.

Or they like answering the questions or taking the tests.

Or they have crippling personality flaws that make them repellent to normal humans. :wink:

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Malkor, the final one is building and hiding clues to a secret chamber in your house so that your kids can find it when you die.

Duh-hoy.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I think hosting a Thanksgiving is like last on my list of relationship milestones. It goes;
    2nd wedding anniversary - Announcement of first child - hosting Thanksgiving - ???

Oh, didn't host it with the femme.

I live on the opposite side of the country from my family. Brother-in-law had never been to California, sister was pregnant and it was the last trip she'd be able to take for a long while, so they flew out to see me, so I was hosting Turkey Day by default.

In the meantime, met the girl, but had limited time given the family was coming out, etc. I had never cooked more than half of the dishes before, so the weekend before I was planning on doing a dry run. She enjoys cooking and it was the only time I had in the short bit after our first date, so I offered to have her come over and cook her dinner. The date actually went great.

I was more making a quip that we'd still be together if only I had cooked turkey instead of just using some chicken breasts. :P

As a sidenote, Thanksgiving dinner went well too, and apparently my family wants me to cook it in the future as well. Or at least the turkey itself. I'm not sure how I feel about this :P

Jragghen on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

:winky:
    o_O

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Look, if you can't cook whole turkeys every time you're excited about a second date, I guess I just don't have good advice about drawing women in.

CowShark on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah if its been a year since you've messaged her, I'd go ahead and send another one

I'm not interested. I was addressing a broad phenomena that I've seen. It's weird for reasonably-attractive women to be on a site every day for a year. It's not that they're not getting enough messages. Most women get dozens of messages a day. Chicks with their boobs hanging out get hundreds of messages. Something is very suspect about this situation. They're either going out with loads of dudes with no intention of having a real relationship or they're not going out with any dudes and obviously not looking for a real relationship.

This is why I think OkCupid allows you to search by how long they've been on the site. The longer you've been on the site, the more suspect your intentions. Particularly for women. No way does it a year for a reasonably-attractive woman to either:

or

Yeah, so stay classy, LH. Stay classy.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

or

Yeah, so stay classy, LH. Stay classy.

This is the best act I've seen in a while, it's almost convincing. Keep going, LH, I wanna know how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'mma do this. At worst, I'll set a new record for most rejections ever received by one man. And hey, a world record is a world record, right?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/5ofClubs

Criticize, plz. Other than the fact that I'm an ugly motherfucker...I already know that one. ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg