As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I don't like curved screens at all. It's another bullshit gimmick like Chris said, when it's noticable it just makes the image look weird. 4k is the only tangible improvement in TV's over the last decade. My parents still own an 8 year old 1080p Sony bravia they payed $3k for, it looks as good as any high end 1080p TV today.

Bubby on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    but whats up with 4K really? what digital media format can even pump out 4k? All consoles are bound to 1080p or less. Most cable is still doing 720p. Even satellite pictures which are supposed to be 1080p look artifacted to my eyes (DirectTV)

where you are getting your moneys worth with 4k except for high end bluray?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    You're not getting your money's worth at all. In 3-5 years, maybe, when content starts getting pumped out.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    even then, the size of the TV and the sitting distance are going to have to be huge, and close respectively, to really enjoy that resolution.

I'm still bummed that plasma is going out of style. I love my Samsung 50" that I got last year. Beautiful colors and the 600hz thing it does, the moving image looks amazing.

I want better, cheaper bigger 1080p OLED screens before I even care about 4k.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    So I'm considering the Sony KDL65W950B, for it's crazy awesome low input lag. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPMCLL2/?tag=dislag-20

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Jasconius wrote: »
    but whats up with 4K really? what digital media format can even pump out 4k? All consoles are bound to 1080p or less. Most cable is still doing 720p. Even satellite pictures which are supposed to be 1080p look artifacted to my eyes (DirectTV)

The TVs always have to come before the content. If nothing else, the guys making the content have to have something to master on.

Unless you're rich or getting it for free, normal people are better off waiting for content to be available. Comcast is saying their next-gen box (late 2015, maybe) is going to support HEVC, so I'd say things are looking good for 4K deployments on cable systems by the end of the decade.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »
    So I'm considering the Sony KDL65W950B, for it's crazy awesome low input lag. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPMCLL2/?tag=dislag-20

If input lag is your biggest consideration, then consider an emmisive OLED set over a traditional LED backlit LCD like the one you linked.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So I kinda impulse bought a Blu-Ray player on Black Friday. It's the Sony BDP-S2200, and it was $45 at Wal-Mart.

The problem is...I can't remember the last time I bought any media...be it on DVD, Blu-Ray, digital, or otherwise. I actually bought a little external BR drive for my iMac a year or two ago with the grand scheme that I was going to start buying Blu-Ray movies, rip them to iTunes, and then eventually pick up an AppleTV to stream them to, but that never quite panned out.

I'm thinking of returning it later in the week, but I need a few days to mull over it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    If input lag is your biggest consideration, then consider an emmisive OLED set over a traditional LED backlit LCD like the one you linked.

Those Sony TVs have half the input lag (17ms) compared to the quickest mass market OLED TV (the LG 55EC9300 - 36ms in PC mode). These days, the image processor will have the biggest impact on input lag, rather than the panel type. However, the OLED will blow those Sonys out of the water when it comes to picture quality, but you'll pay almost double the money for that PQ.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    So many monitors on sale. So many choices. So few monitors needed.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    krapst78 wrote: »
    user wrote: »

Those Sony TVs have half the input lag (17ms) compared to the quickest mass market OLED TV (the LG 55EC9300 - 36ms in PC mode). These days, the image processor will have the biggest impact on input lag, rather than the panel type. However, the OLED will blow those Sonys out of the water when it comes to picture quality, but you'll pay almost double the money for that PQ.
    Hmm. Is there a variant that isn't curved?

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    The non-curved OLED is the LG 55EA8800. Unfortunately, it costs more than the curved version above, uses a slightly different subpixel arrangement, and lack the new WebOS UI. It also has higher input lag in the mid 50ms range.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Well that's neat. What's the resource you're cribbing those lag numbers from, it's definitely something I'm going to consider in my next set. Personally, I want to go from my 55" HX929 Sony Bravia set to a 1080P OLED set. I don't know what my input lag currently is, but pretty much my reason is that I am tired of giving up picture quality by disabling all of the nice features like local dimming just to make my twitch based games playable.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    if your really caring about input lag, then this is the thread you want to check: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/145141/sub-1-frame-hdtv-monitor-input-lag-database

fighting game folks are just about the only ones that are crazy enough to track down the tvs/monitors with sub one frame lag.

http://www.displaylag.com/ is also ok.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    HDtvtest.co.uk, Cnet, and Displaylag.com will all post input lag times using the Leo Bodnar tester. They generally have similar times because they use the same tester, however, Displaylag.com has a larger DB with more up to date results based on more recent firmware updates.

Flatpanelshd.com will also put up input lag ranges using their own stopwatch process.

Some of the really hardcore places like Prad.de and tftcentral.co.uk will test using a photodiode oscillscope to get much more accurate readings.

Still, the Leo Bodnar tests are generally a good enough reference point when comparing lag between comparable display technologies.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

If I bought a 4K tv, I would feel compelled to get Timescapes. Mostly because if I'm buying a 4K tv, I already don't care about how much the 4K version costs.

That being said, I did like a 4K TV I saw in a store one time - it was also the first curved screen TV I'd seen, and the viewing angle did seem significantly larger. Was that just because it was 4K/higher quality materials, or does a slight curve actually help?

e: Saw the talk on last page. Ignore that question.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I finally said fuck it and gotten a 130 inch projector setup.

Yeah, why exactly isn't everybody going projector? Cause I got 130 inch 1080P for roughly $750 when all things are said and done.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Yeah, why exactly isn't everybody going projector? Cause I got 130 inch 1080P for roughly $750 when all things are said and done.

I dont have a big enough wall or a dark enough room.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Because I have one television, and if I swapped it out for a projector, I would be spending SO MUCH MONEY on replacement lamps.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Considering an equivalent size t.v. is in the tens of thousands of dollars range and the lamp lifespan is like 3500 hours, I can watch t.v. n this projector for years before it'll be worth the extra costs of getting an equivalent size t.v..

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I got a 60 inch t.v. I would have to have a loungeroom about twice the size of the current one to make a giant screen worth it. And the t.v. is on for about 35-60 hours per week in a pretty bright room, so the lamp would be running at 100% output at all times, which shortens their lifespan noticeably.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Projectors have tons of drawbacks for typical rooms.

1) They're loud.
    2) You have to either ceiling-mount it or put it on a table in the middle of the room if your back wall isn't in the perfect place.
    3) You have to have light control in your room, or you're going to have to blast the lamp at 100% when you want to watch during the day.
    4) You have to get a good screen to maximize performance. Unless retractable, this screen will look awful when you aren't watching it.
    5) Color saturation and black levels aren't the best for critical viewing unless you have #3.

It's great that it works for your situation, but it isn't for everyone, especially as a primary TV.

For me (coming from a plasma), I don't think any $750 projector (that I know of) would throw a 130" image with the quality I want, even in a good room - I'd have to spend about as much as I would on a good direct-view TV.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    my TV delivery got delayed until tomorrow ><

i crave the screen. the screen is life

• Options
    Lol, at 130 inch it's like looking thru the closet into Narnia. Games are hugely inversive and with my sound system movies are nearly theater quality. The only thing better then this would be VR.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    If I had a basement I would definitely push for a home theater setup, but basements are kind of hard to come by in California :(

• Options
    i can't even imagine 130 inch

do you have to crane your neck to see your health meter?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    i can't even imagine 130 inch

do you have to crane your neck to see your health meter?

Just never get hit... :biggrin:

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    The 65H7150 arrived yesterday

the gaming performance is well within the acceptable bounds

the picture brightness is of course quite good

It DOES need to be calibrated out of the box and I'm not good at that. I find the dynamic contrast to be perhaps a little artificial. It's trying so hard to get deep blacks that it makes the whole picture feel either too dark or too contrast-y. But I think that's all a matter of settings. Gotta 'f with it this weekend

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I found interesting conversations about detailed settings for my set at http://www.avsforum.com/

Might want to check if someone has done the fiddling around with your set already and see if it works for you too.

• Options

It DOES need to be calibrated out of the box and I'm not good at that. I find the dynamic contrast to be perhaps a little artificial. It's trying so hard to get deep blacks that it makes the whole picture feel either too dark or too contrast-y. But I think that's all a matter of settings. Gotta 'f with it this weekend

Good to know, I am taking a trip across the border to pick mine up this weekend, as it has arrived in Montana. I'm not much of a picture afficianado yet, but it's still good to know. I'll be extra wary when mine comes out of the box and I'll update.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options

Most people will tell you to turn off anything "Dynamic" before trying to get a good calibration. I dunno about Samsungs, but on Panasonics switching to the Movie/Cinema preset disables most of that stuff automatically and is usually the closest to accurate out of the box.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

I picked up a 65" H7150, too. I'm not particularly happy with mine. Colors smear under motion (overdrive trailing perhaps), particularly from dark tones like blacks, and I've got light bleed in the corners. I can't return it, either. Ah well.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    i managed to tone down the obscene black levels by reducing the artificial 'cinema black' setting to medium

motion smear I thought was just indemic to LED's, I'm seeing it in things like a basketball game but have not yet noticed in video games like Smash Bros

satisfied with mine so far, even without proper tuning

• Options
    Well, the TV is all hooked up and overall I'm very impressed! It's a great improvement over the old Samsung LCD I was using (not sure what model it was, but it was over 5 years old). Noticeably less light bleed from the edges, and I'm pretty happy with the color recreation without fiddling. I'm going to spend some time and try to reduce the S.O.E. but, in the mean, time I'm a happy customer.

Also, that new remote is absolute MAGIC. I love it.

• Options
    I could only find one calibration guide for H7150 and I think it made it worse D:

heading back to defaults tonight

and yeah the remote is really good

• Options
    in retrospect, NBC's sunday night football video feed was probably just really bad

I set it back to factory default "Movie" mode last night and Monday Night Football looked fantastic

I'm satisfied. It needs better calibration but it's alright out of the box in certain modes

• Options
    Man, you can really see the benefits of 4k once you're in the 100+ plus inch club.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Man, you can really see the benefits of 4k once you're in the 100+ plus inch club.

Projector-peen?

Do you have your anamorphic lens on a motorized slide yet?

• Options
    Nah, I rather put money into the audio side of things, repaint the wals, make the room more acoustic.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Nah, I rather put money into the audio side of things, repaint the wals, make the room more acoustic.

Well, be sure to also get a wide angle lens shot of the room after it's all done, we want to see it in all its glory.