As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    So I got a PS4 a couple weeks back and have been playing Destiny a bunch with friends. I'm not sure if there's an actual difference between playing games on my PC vs the PS4 but it sure feels better on the lag side of things (Panasonic ST60). Even Injustice: Gods Among Us feels very responsive which really surprised me. I have a budget Seiki 40" down stairs that I'll use at times as well. Holy cow there's such an unbelievable difference between the two sets! I've had this thing for about a year now and am still blown away by it.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So I got a PS4 a couple weeks back and have been playing Destiny a bunch with friends. I'm not sure if there's an actual difference between playing games on my PC vs the PS4 but it sure feels better on the lag side of things (Panasonic ST60). Even Injustice: Gods Among Us feels very responsive which really surprised me. I have a budget Seiki 40" down stairs that I'll use at times as well. Holy cow there's such an unbelievable difference between the two sets! I've had this thing for about a year now and am still blown away by it.

There's a Game mode that cuts out the lag significantly by removing a lot of the post-processing, but TVs will rarely have the same responsiveness as, say, a high-end PC gaming monitor.

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the problem with the ST60 is the "smart" OS features significantly add lag and there's no way to turn it off. With absolutely every image processing feature you can think of turned off and game mode on, there is still around 60ms of lag. I think I've just gotten used to it.

The smart features on the step down model, the S60, are significantly reduced and lag is about 30ms I think. In the step up models, the VT60 and ZT60, there is a better processor and they handle the smart features better and have reduced lag. Oh well.

I wasn't complaining or even looking for help in my original post, just kinda sharing my findings. I definitely bought the TV knowing what I was getting into. I knew it would be a tradeoff of low lag for a superior picture.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    My sister wants to get a projector in the $300 range.

Any recommendations?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Keep your eye out on amazon warehouse deals. It's how I got a $1200 projector for $600, and nothing was damaged on it (not even the box).

Also you need to do some homework.

Read up projectorcentral.com

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I know it's probably a mostly a question of personal preference; but I'm wondering if there's any general guideline of what is a good TV size for the distance you will be from it?

In that I mean just from a field of view perspective; lets say I was replacing my current PC monitor (27in) with a TV, to use for both my PC and all my gaming. I sit about 2 1/2 ft from the monitor with proper posture, and if I'm reclining in my chair more like 3 1/2 - 4ft away.

With my current monitor I can quickly see any information on the screen with just movement of my eyes; I don't really have to turn my head itself unless I just want to focus more closely on a single part of an image.

Is there any rough math to tell me what size of a monitor I could still do this with before it got too large and parts of the screen would be outside my discernible field of vision? Or do I just kinda need to do some visual tests on my own to get a grip on my own personal field of view and what size that translates to?

But if folks here have any experience with using larger screens as their desktop monitor (I'm currently looking at a couple samsung and sonys, 40 and 48in; though the input lag on the Samsung looks to be higher than what I'd really want), and what their experience has been?

I don't really do any work on my monitor, aside from just personal news, information and research about things I'm interested in. It's otherwise 100% for gaming and general interweb use. I have mostly decided against a 4k for the time being, until there is more content that actually uses it, and pc components come down enough to not be basically 1k-1.5k for the video cards alone to adequately pump out a 4k res on modern games. Plus the PS4 and xbone I just bought do nothing with 4k, so meh.

I guess my main concern, outside of the general usefulness of that large of a monitor potentially exceeding my field of view, is that the TV's I'm looking at don't seem to have any adjustability options; i.e. they just face forward, but don't swivel up/down or back/forth. PC monitors that do this tend to cap out around 30in or so and I think I want something larger than that realistically. So back to the question of whether folks here have experience with this, do you alternate between upright and reclined use? does the static angle of the tv/monitor cause any issues? My current 27in, if I'm sitting up I often have to angle it up toward me, or I'm looking down on the monitor, but if I'm reclining it is about the perfect height. I could lower my chair when I'm sitting upright but then my legs are at a bad angle and it gets uncomfortable real fast. I have a corner desk so wall mounting, without a long arm anyway, isn't really an option; and I have an ikea desk so it likely wouldn't be able to adequately handle a desk mounted arm for a TV that size.

So, thoughts? tips? facts?

EDIT: curved seems like it'd be nice for how close I'll be, I've read people who use a curved as a desktop feel it's far more useful and immersive than a living room set. I'm not sure if I care about 3D or not. I've never gamed in 3D though I know some games support it; but it's something I've never really felt made a damn difference except for the 48p hobbit in theatres. :lol: Is samsung pretty much the only curved option?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I know it's probably a mostly a question of personal preference; but I'm wondering if there's any general guideline of what is a good TV size for the distance you will be from it?

In that I mean just from a field of view perspective; lets say I was replacing my current PC monitor (27in) with a TV, to use for both my PC and all my gaming. I sit about 2 1/2 ft from the monitor with proper posture, and if I'm reclining in my chair more like 3 1/2 - 4ft away.

With my current monitor I can quickly see any information on the screen with just movement of my eyes; I don't really have to turn my head itself unless I just want to focus more closely on a single part of an image.

Is there any rough math to tell me what size of a monitor I could still do this with before it got too large and parts of the screen would be outside my discernible field of vision? Or do I just kinda need to do some visual tests on my own to get a grip on my own personal field of view and what size that translates to?

But if folks here have any experience with using larger screens as their desktop monitor (I'm currently looking at a couple samsung and sonys, 40 and 48in; though the input lag on the Samsung looks to be higher than what I'd really want), and what their experience has been?

I don't really do any work on my monitor, aside from just personal news, information and research about things I'm interested in. It's otherwise 100% for gaming and general interweb use. I have mostly decided against a 4k for the time being, until there is more content that actually uses it, and pc components come down enough to not be basically 1k-1.5k for the video cards alone to adequately pump out a 4k res on modern games. Plus the PS4 and xbone I just bought do nothing with 4k, so meh.

I guess my main concern, outside of the general usefulness of that large of a monitor potentially exceeding my field of view, is that the TV's I'm looking at don't seem to have any adjustability options; i.e. they just face forward, but don't swivel up/down or back/forth. PC monitors that do this tend to cap out around 30in or so and I think I want something larger than that realistically. So back to the question of whether folks here have experience with this, do you alternate between upright and reclined use? does the static angle of the tv/monitor cause any issues? My current 27in, if I'm sitting up I often have to angle it up toward me, or I'm looking down on the monitor, but if I'm reclining it is about the perfect height. I could lower my chair when I'm sitting upright but then my legs are at a bad angle and it gets uncomfortable real fast. I have a corner desk so wall mounting, without a long arm anyway, isn't really an option; and I have an ikea desk so it likely wouldn't be able to adequately handle a desk mounted arm for a TV that size.

So, thoughts? tips? facts?

EDIT: curved seems like it'd be nice for how close I'll be, I've read people who use a curved as a desktop feel it's far more useful and immersive than a living room set. I'm not sure if I care about 3D or not. I've never gamed in 3D though I know some games support it; but it's something I've never really felt made a damn difference except for the 48p hobbit in theatres. :lol: Is samsung pretty much the only curved option?

The first four results of this Google search seem legit.

As for setting up the television, you're right in that most don't allow for a lot of articulation, particularly in the up-down direction. I'm guessing you'll have to check out each television to see if their bases support the kind of setup you need. There are some that don't allow any articulation at all.

I wouldn't get bent out of shape regarding 3D. It's not in a place where it really adds much to the gaming experience, particularly if you're using the television's rendering and not some sort of native solution.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Hmmm...those all seem to indicate that under 4ft I shouldn't go any higher than 32 for a 1080; but with a 4k bigger could work, mainly for pixel density reasons (EDIT: Though, given that I'd be using the 4k as 1080 most of the time, I suppose that benefit would be negated anyway).

I guess realistically I'll have to take a trip to best buy/costco and just get my face in front of one of the ones I'm interested in and just see, from my viewing distances, if the pixel density bugs me.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Keep your eye out on amazon warehouse deals. It's how I got a $1200 projector for $600, and nothing was damaged on it (not even the box).

Also you need to do some homework.

Read up projectorcentral.com

Also, build your own screen

http://www.carlofet.com/build-your-own-projector-screen/

• Options
    Lastly, you'll need an audio solution. Some projector has a built in speaker but fucking what's the point?

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Is it realistic to expect to find a 1080p, 120hz TV between 40" and 50" for $300-400?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I mean, sure, you can.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889623018&cm_re=changhong-_-89-623-018-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889624007&cm_re=changhong-_-89-624-007-_-Product

I don't know what a Changhong is, though. You might be better off looking for a used name brand on craigslist or ebay at that price point.

Edit: I don't know if that first one was actually 120Hz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889624001&cm_re=changhong-_-89-624-001-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889624003&cm_re=changhong-_-89-624-003-_-Product

Note: only one of those 4 sets is HDMI 1.4 the others are 1.3

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    The response times of those Changhong TVs are in the too good to be true territory, as in 5 ms response times, when the best two TV brands for gaming, Sony and LG, would have a 17 ms or 25 ms response time respectively.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Its probably referring to the refresh rate of the pixels rather than the input lag. I bet the refresh rate of LG and Sony sets are 5ms or below as well. But input lag is a different animal. The fact that Sony can get down to 17ms for input lag is crazy to think about.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Do they sell 3D glasses that are better quality/more comfortable than the pack-in glasses they include with Samsung TVs?

Mine work, but they're pretty dinky and require a bit of readjusting. If there are better quality glasses that are compatible with the TV, I'd like to look into it.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I'm sure someone makes some better ones. Samsung may even sell premium ones but I'm not sure. Anyway, check amazon and see what comes up. Just make sure they are compatible with Samsung TVs.

On a related note, Oakley makes some passive 3D glasses that would be awesome. Would make going to see 3D movies at a theater so much better. The optical clarity of Oakley's are tough to beat. I've been playing golf at a high level for almost 20 years now and Oakley is the only brand I trust for that. Too bad they won't work with any TVs other than the few passive 3D sets that are out there.

toloveistorebel on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Are they active or passive 3D glasses (active needs to have batteries or be charged, passive does not)? I think Sammys are active so you'll want to make sure whatever you find is compatible with your set.

@toloveistorebel try something with glass/crystal lenses, you'll never go back to plastic.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Is the ARC function on the TV/Receiver only for sound that originates from the TV? I'm setting up a new TV and I'm not sure where to put things. When I plug my PS4 into the receiver the audio lag is fairly noticeable, when I thought it was supposed to pass the sound back form the TV so it syncs up properly.

• Options
    Yes ARC is for audio originating on TV (source is OTA antenna connected to tv, smartapp on the TV, other devices that are directly connecting to TV so audio path goes thru TV to receiver). It won't be at play for devices plugged directly into your receiver. Lag is likely coming from processing by the PS or by the receiver.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Hrm, I figured the receiver and PS would be able to sync their audio, and blamed it on image processing on the TV. It sounds like if I want things hooked up the the receiver, I need to run an audio cable back from the TV, which seems weird.

• Options
    You shouldn't have to do that. I'd mess with audio output settings on PS4 and settings on the receiver (some have adjustable delay). If it were a PS3 I'd say set it to 2 channel PCM and the receiver to 2 channel stereo and see if it is still there (no processing), but I don't know the PS4 settings.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Good people.

I think I've narrowed down my search for a replacement desktop monitor to a 40in 1080p set.

There's two in particular that seem to both be in the price range-ish I want, and have specs that are good for gaming and PC use. They are:

Samsung UN40H6350

and

Sony KDL40W600B

The Samsung seems to be the slightly better set. I'm just not sure if it's enough better to justify the $140 price difference.

What I'm wondering is, am I missing anything? I.E. are there factors I might not be considering? I looked at both at Best Buy, so colors etc weren't really able to be tested, but I was looking at pixel density based on how I usually sit at my desk to see if it'd work for me, and I decided 40in is the biggest I can go and not have it feel like the pixels are too big. That is without going 4k; but nothing I own, or will likely own in the forseeable future, can do 4k, so it seems really not worth the extra cost. And I am to understand from some googling that while using 1080 devices on 4k works well enough, it makes things maybe a bit 'fuzzy' due to the 4:1 pixel use and doesn't feel as 'natural'? as just having a normal 1080. 32in is nice in that the pixels are much more tightly packed, but it just doesn't feel big enough over my current 27 to feel worth the upgrade currently. 40in feels more 'big screen' from where I sit and is more what I'm thinking.

Also, I guess the only other thing is...could there be an 'off' brand that has just as good specs, response, color depth, etc etc, for a better price?

EDIT: Though, I guess for $200 more is this Samsung 4k 40in that seems to have decent reviews too. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    I would say definitely go with that Sony. Since you'll be using it mainly as a computer monitor you want as low input lag as possible (not to be confused with refresh rate, input lag will be the length of time from when you move your mouse/click a button to when it shows on screen). The Sony only has 29ms of lag while the Samsung has 42ms. Anything above 30 I think is considered pretty high. And just stay away from 4K I think unless you go with an actual 4K monitor. Which you may actually be able to get for about the same price. But smaller size which makes it moot.

• Options
    I like that answer because the Sony is the cheapest!

But yeah the input lag on the Samsung was a concern, and you have to put it in pc/game mode to even get it to 42ish. I'm not a super competitive gamer so I figured it'd still be low enough to not bug me.

The other major thing that 'concerns' me is the 60 vs 120mhz refresh on the sony vs samsung. They both have whateverandstuff tech that makes them 'effective' 240, whatever that means; I guess I'm just concerned about ghosting on the Sony...though my current monitor is 60 so I don't know why that is even worrying. :rotate:

• Options
    Also what do you mean "stay away from a 4k unless you go with an actual 4k monitor"? I guess I don't understand what you're saying.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    @The Dude With Herpes

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about 60Hz vs. 120/240Hz. On a TV basically what happens is it takes a 60Hz (or 60fps) signal and then duplicates frames to make it look "smoother" or like there is less judder. It does work but it gives movies and TV shows a really weird soap opera looking effect. If you're using that TV for gaming though, as soon as you put it in game mode it shuts off that 120 or 240Hz feature and just keeps it at 60Hz anyway. And even keeping the feature active anyway introduces extra lag. Also you will only ever be able to push 60Hz to a TV from your computer. If you had a 120Hz or 144Hz PC monitor then you could send it the corresponding signal. PC monitors with refresh rates that high actually DO display 120fps or 144fps if your computer can pump frames from a game that high. I think you're getting the point... but basically don't worry about it. Get the 60Hz with low lag and be happy :)

As far as 4K goes... I say monitor vs a TV because its pretty tough to get a 60Hz signal on a TV currently. You would need the TV to have HDMI 2.0 as well a GPU that has HDMI 2.0 and then *maybe* you could get it working. Otherwise you're stuck at 30Hz and its awful for PC use. There may be a couple TVs that can properly do 60Hz but I'm not totally sure. PC monitors have a bit better compatibility for that and you can use Display Port and get the full resolution at 60Hz. Pretty much the whole thing is a pain until it matures for another year or two.

toloveistorebel on
  • Options
    @The Dude With Herpes

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about 60Hz vs. 120/240Hz. On a TV basically what happens is it takes a 60Hz (or 60fps) signal and then duplicates frames to make it look "smoother" or like there is less judder. It does work but it gives movies and TV shows a really weird soap opera looking effect. If you're using that TV for gaming though, as soon as you put it in game mode it shuts off that 120 or 240Hz feature and just keeps it at 60Hz anyway. And even keeping the feature active anyway introduces extra lag. Also you will only ever be able to push 60Hz to a TV from your computer. If you had a 120Hz or 144Hz PC monitor then you could send it the corresponding signal. PC monitors with refresh rates that high actually DO display 120fps or 144fps if your computer can pump frames from a game that high. I think you're getting the point... but basically don't worry about it. Get the 60Hz with low lag and be happy :)

As far as 4K goes... I say monitor vs a TV because its pretty tough to get a 60Hz signal on a TV currently. You would need the TV to have HDMI 2.0 as well a GPU that has HDMI 2.0 and then *maybe* you could get it working. Otherwise you're stuck at 30Hz and its awful for PC use. There may be a couple TVs that can properly do 60Hz but I'm not totally sure. PC monitors have a bit better compatibility for that and you can use Display Port and get the full resolution at 60Hz. Pretty much the whole thing is a pain until it matures for another year or two.

Awesome, thanks so much for that info. Sony it is!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey gang. I am currently in the market for a Non smart, LED TV around 50 inches. I work at a certain electronics retailer so I've been looking there, but I was wondering which of the following three would be the best buy:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-silver/6007128.p?id=1219180373258&skuId=6007128
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/panasonic-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-hdtv-black/4875001.p?id=1219104862306&skuId=4875001&st=4875001&cp=1&lp=1
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/6443025.p?id=1219217424554&skuId=6443025

I know all three of those are pretty good, and I'm not completely unknowledgeable on TV, but I'm not sure which of those would be the better TV.

Any input would be appreciated.

• Options
    If you want to play games on your TV, either PC or console, you should reference displaylag.com to choose a TV with sub 30 ms input lag. Let me give you the summary: only LG and Sony make large TVs with low lag.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I don't know if this is the right spot to ask, since it involves TV antenna rather than about a TV itself, but I figure it would be the best bet.

Recently Time Warner in my area cut off access to local/basic channels through cable if you don't have a subscription so I am looking into an antenna to set up in my apartment. The other weekend I picked up a cheap stand up one from Target, but it didn't have great results. While it was sitting on my tv stand all of the channels it could get were very choppy. I had to hold it high enough so that I could get a clear picture without it going in and out every few seconds. Then if I raised it even higher I gained NBC, but lost CBS.

I researched online about where the signal comes from and the type of antenna I should look into (a small multidirectional). However with the way my apartment is set up, with a big glass window behind my tv, and in the opposite direction of where I should point the antenna, I'm not quite sure what I should look for to help in my situation. I figure something with a strong wide range and easily attached to a window. Probably something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882576010&cm_re=tv_antenna-_-82-576-010-_-Product

If anyone can think of anything I should look into, it would be appreciated.

While I am able to watch most of my shows on my computer, it would be nice to be able watch them on my tv from my couch every once in a while. Of course TWC had to go screw that up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Looking for a decent brand in the 40"+ range at a max of $600. The girlfriend is looking at some LG thing from best buy. Any suggestions? Oh she wants it to be smart.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right spot to ask, since it involves TV antenna rather than about a TV itself, but I figure it would be the best bet.

Recently Time Warner in my area cut off access to local/basic channels through cable if you don't have a subscription so I am looking into an antenna to set up in my apartment. The other weekend I picked up a cheap stand up one from Target, but it didn't have great results. While it was sitting on my tv stand all of the channels it could get were very choppy. I had to hold it high enough so that I could get a clear picture without it going in and out every few seconds. Then if I raised it even higher I gained NBC, but lost CBS.

I researched online about where the signal comes from and the type of antenna I should look into (a small multidirectional). However with the way my apartment is set up, with a big glass window behind my tv, and in the opposite direction of where I should point the antenna, I'm not quite sure what I should look for to help in my situation. I figure something with a strong wide range and easily attached to a window. Probably something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882576010&cm_re=tv_antenna-_-82-576-010-_-Product

If anyone can think of anything I should look into, it would be appreciated.

While I am able to watch most of my shows on my computer, it would be nice to be able watch them on my tv from my couch every once in a while. Of course TWC had to go screw that up.

Get the powered Leaf.

Link to new:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Amplified-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00APPDX86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425315361&sr=8-2&keywords=leaf

Link to a refurb:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Indoor-Antenna-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00DHKKI16/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425315361&sr=8-5&keywords=leaf

We bought the unpowered leaf before we cancelled cable and channels came in mostly okay. Bought the powered leaf after determining that the normal leaf was pretty good and then cancelled cable. We ran both the cable box and the HTPC in tandem for awhile to determine if we could actually get away without cable. Power bill was a bit more that month, but we realized we didn't need cable for the broadcast shows.

With the powered leaf we picked up a lot more channels and the ones we mostly cared about, your big networks, come in a lot better and are interrupted less often. You will have to play with positioning a bit. Ours currently lives above a closet opening because that's where we get the best reception for the channels we care about. Yeah, it's not all that fun to have the TV scan, realize you're missing something, move the antenna and scan again, and possibly repeat the whole process about 10 times, but once that thing is situated where it's needed to be, you don't need to mess with it again.

Yes, it's more expensive than the antenna you linked, but if this is going to be your permanent solution to picking up broadcast signals, splurge a little and get something that you'll want to keep around. Originally my wife was skeptical but now we very rarely get any signal interruption except on the CW which is much farther away than all the other broadcast towers.

Also be prepared for a bunch of channels that you don't want. But it's easy to remove those. So many 24/7 religious channels. There's also a channel that shows infomercials 24/7. Who watches that?

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Looking for a decent brand in the 40"+ range at a max of $600. The girlfriend is looking at some LG thing from best buy. Any suggestions? Oh she wants it to be smart.

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JP7OW76?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=w40&creative=374929&camp=211189#

And here's what Cnet has to say about it: http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m422i-b1/

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Looking to get a smart TV but have never really used these things. I want one that can connect to other networked devices eg my PC or a hard drive plugged into my router and stream videos off of them. Does such a thing exist? Do any companies do it better? I have tried googling but don't really understand most of the results.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Looking to get a smart TV but have never really used these things. I want one that can connect to other networked devices eg my PC or a hard drive plugged into my router and stream videos off of them. Does such a thing exist? Do any companies do it better? I have tried googling but don't really understand most of the results.

I know that some manufacturers have been coming out with better smart TV functionality over the last year or so. Samsung, LG, and Vizio are among the best I believe. I'm not sure if any of them have a feature for streaming content over the local network or not though. Pretty sure my Panasonic does and it's smart features are awful, so it's probably a good bet others have the same feature. But generally it's usually best to just get the best TV you can for your budget based on picture quality, input lag, etc. and then just get a standalone box like a Roku or Apple TV. Almost always they do a much better job than using the built in functions of a TV.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, uPNP support for local streaming on these things is hit or miss. Even if it does kinda work, it won't support the formats you want anyway.

• Options
    My 55" smart LG streams Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go. However, the wifi connection sucks, as in disconnects every minute bad, even though my PS3 is solid as were my (no longer connected) Wii and Roku boxes. I assume that wired ethernet would work perfectly, but I haven't done that yet.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I made a terrible error. I walked past and looked at a 4k display to see if I could tell the difference. Fuck, I can. I'm doomed.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    na, you are seeing the difference in how they set up the non-4k tvs to sell the 4ks. (partial truth there)

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »
    na, you are seeing the difference in how they set up the non-4k tvs to sell the 4ks. (partial truth there)

It was at a Walmart, so there is an incredibly low chance that they set it up in any way at all.

I have the willpower to not get one though since I'm still completely satisfied with my current TV. Not enough 4k source to tempt me just yet.