As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saints Row: The Third - Hulkamania runs wild in Steelport, brother!

• Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    IdolNinja, My face looks like your avatar right now, geo mod?!

Well, they never did rule it completely out. They just said something like (I'm paraphrasing) :

"We can't really include it in SR3 due to the processing power required for it for open world with all the other stuff going on. But it could show up in some small capacity."

Initially I figured it would show up in one of the activities or diversions as a self contained thing. But what if they meant that only certain situations it could be used (like with the VTOL lasers?)

Possibly ties into that feature where you can choose to demolish or take over a tower, and if you demolish it, you get to do it via a laser guided jet?

Speaking of that feature, there's a part of me that's hoping I get to choose whether I kill the twins or recruit them to my side, because while I'm sure throwing them off a building would be a hoot, I also certainly wouldn't pass up the chance for stylish identical twin bodyguards.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Before the trailer, I figured Philippe would be one of those rich bastards pulling the strings. I'm glad to see he's going to get his hands dirty.

Turkey on
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    So, how far do the gangwars go? Are they just a side to the craziness, or a main part?

In Saints Row 2 you would gain specific territories for doing missions. The original gangs would then randomly do pushbacks and retake a territory from you. This would result in you not earning daily income from that territory until you went to it and cleared out all the gang lieutenants to reclaim it.

It's more of just a small diversion and not really a central part of the game.

I'm not sure what they have planned for SR3 though regarding pushbacks, if anything.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    Helios127Helios127 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    So, how far do the gangwars go? Are they just a side to the craziness, or a main part?

In Saints Row 2 you would gain specific territories for doing missions. The original gangs would then randomly do pushbacks and retake a territory from you. This would result in you not earning daily income from that territory until you went to it and cleared out all the gang lieutenants to reclaim it.

It's more of just a small diversion and not really a central part of the game.

I'm not sure what they have planned for SR3 though regarding pushbacks, if anything.

Honestly, I hope they keep it this way. GTA:SA was completely annoying when your 'hood territory got under attack. You would loose the territory and respect if you didnt show up, and it was sometimes a pain to get them back

I like how it is in SR2. Much, much less annoying.

Helios127 on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    heenato wrote: »
    So, I've been gone for awhile, and am currently on a very bad computer, and cant really do much at the moment. Including looking at the awesome things that are going to be in Saints row 3.

Can someone give me a mind blowing list of awesome things?

Johnny Gatmobile.

Flamethrowers included.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    LockeCole wrote: »
    So, I've been gone for awhile, and am currently on a very bad computer, and cant really do much at the moment. Including looking at the awesome things that are going to be in Saints row 3.

Johnny Gatmobile.

Flamethrowers included.

Flying suplexes.

Johnny Gat masks.

manapult (to launch those multitude of hookers)

dildobat

Shaundi is clean now

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SoulGate wrote: »
    LockeCole wrote: »

Johnny Gatmobile.

Flamethrowers included.

Flying suplexes.

Johnny Gat masks.

manapult (to launch those multitude of hookers)

dildobat

Shaundi is clean now

Don't forget the Apoca-fists; oversize boxing gloves that turn npcs to goo when you punch them. :D

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did anyone else notice the cigarette act a little funny as they walked to the elevator? I've watched it so many times now, that I am noticing little things.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    E3 SR3 Signage going up :D

e3sr3hall.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What's that song that plays in the background?

Power - Kanye West

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gat would want you to steal it with a hail of bullets somehow involved, then hum along to it in the getaway vehicle. :P

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want that energy drink.

Saints Flow

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That the original power, not the remix.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm in my second (hard) playthrough of Saint's Row 2, and I'm finally starting to get over my inhabitions a bit. The boss is currently a nude tattoo'ed drow chick in thigh-high boots with a chainsaw launcher (which is surprisingly harder to use as a primary weapon than I was expecting due to the gravity).

I also swear I'm noticing really subtle changes since installing Gentlemen of the Row. Idol, did anything in there overhaul the lighting engine?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Athenor wrote: »
    I also swear I'm noticing really subtle changes since installing Gentlemen of the Row. Idol, did anything in there overhaul the lighting engine?

Not so much the lighting, as the weather itself. I completely redid the Clear Skies weather condition from scratch which resulted in much more vibrant color and the removal of that ugly looking haze. All the other weather conditions were also touched to slightly boost their saturation as well. The RGB values for all times of day have also seen a ton of subtle adjustments giving it cooler colors in the morning and warmer in the afternoon/evening.

My above changes, coupled with the original weather mod and its darker nighttime and fixed color palette for the raining weather (removing that ugly yellow cast,) resulted in a look for the game that is much closer to the original Saints Row and a huge improvement over vanilla. :)

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been too speechless to come up with anything useful in this thread to say. So I'm just going to be useless and still get my blue dot.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are there any noticeable performance tweaks in GotR? The game ran like absolute shit on my PC, but I loved it anyway (even if I did have to turn everything to low in order for it to run at a blazing 22 frames per second).

SR3 hype is giving me the itch to play SR2 again.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Are there any noticeable performance tweaks in GotR? The game ran like absolute shit on my PC, but I loved it anyway (even if I did have to turn everything to low in order for it to run at a blazing 22 frames per second).

SR3 hype is giving me the itch to play SR2 again.

Many users have reported that they saw notable performance improvements running GotR. If this is true and not merely a placebo effect, it was unintentional on my part. I have theorized that perhaps the extra game data being loaded from the patch file instead of the old common file may have possibly forced certain files to load in memory rather than being cached on the hard drive, but I really don't have concrete data either way.

There are a couple of other performance tweaks you can do involving clearing out prefetch, disabling your page file, and using our Powertools to get the game running as close to the original 360 speed as possible. All of the details are located in the FAQ:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715922

Before you go to all that trouble though, what are your specs? In addition to the usual CPU/GPU/RAM also list hard drive rpm and OS too. If your box falls below certain specs then there may be nothing you can do (other than upgrade.)

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am noticing that my game is crashing more since installing the mod, but that's to be expected.. and quite frank, my install of Vista (shudder) is still having problems even after I did a complete move to a new hard drive. Something in there is borked, I just don't know what.

Idol, has Volition approached you, or any of the rest of the modding community, regarding SR3? I doubt they'll officially recognize you, but it'd be cool to see if they acknowledge your efforts on some level.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4
    nVidia 8800GT
    4GB Ram (Kinda)
    Windows Vista 32-bit (That's where the kinda comes in, or did they finally fix Vista not seeing RAM over 3GB?)
    Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    32 bit OS's can't use 4gb of ram effectively, there's no way to fix that beyond using a 64 bit OS

override367 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Athenor wrote: »
    I am noticing that my game is crashing more since installing the mod, but that's to be expected.. and quite frank, my install of Vista (shudder) is still having problems even after I did a complete move to a new hard drive. Something in there is borked, I just don't know what.

Idol, has Volition approached you, or any of the rest of the modding community, regarding SR3? I doubt they'll officially recognize you, but it'd be cool to see if they acknowledge your efforts on some level.

Where is it crashing exactly? If it's in the wardrobe or clothing stores then I would suggest installing the 1.2 shaders_pc file included with the latest beta release.

Volition's company policy forbids discussing technical details with anyone outside the company according to their community manager. I have talked on lighter subjects with some of the staff though, and one of the SR3 devs does follow my twitter. They also did a text interview with me about modding SR2 and posted it on their site which was kind of neat, though all SR2 news has since been deleted after their site redesign unfortunately.

I believe that there is a possibility that at least some parts of SR3 were developed based on positive feedback from GotR. The canon launcher on Professor Genki's car looks like a nod to the Orbital Launcher. The darker nighttime and vibrant colors may be a result of the positive feedback from the nighttime weather mod. The additional gang customization options could be attributed to the warm reception everyone has given the extra gang types like zombies and pirates. I believe one of the SR3 articles even specifically mentioned pirates as a new gang type option.

Anyway, I think it's more that Volition listens to the fans rather than getting them involved in the process. Since GotR was so widely praised across the web, it's only natural that some of the ideas from it would end up showing up in the sequel.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4
    nVidia 8800GT
    4GB Ram (Kinda)
    Windows Vista 32-bit (That's where the kinda comes in, or did they finally fix Vista not seeing RAM over 3GB?)
    Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM

override367 is correct. The RAM usage is not an issue with Vista itself, rather the fact that you are running an x86 (32-bit) version of Windows rather than x64 (64-bit.)

Losing half a Gb of RAM is a huge issue for the SR2 engine and the way it prefetches. Clearing out the prefetch folder (as detailed in the FAQ) and rebooting is probably going to give you some immediate performance gains. Also, make sure not to run anything else while playing to give the game as much RAM as you can. These steps should help alleviate the stuttering while driving issue.

The GPU is probably the weakest of your specs for this game, so you'll definitely need to play at a lower resolution and turn down some of the details. The CPU is also a bit on the weak side too contributing to the performance hit.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gat's all, "Hey boss, lemme catch that bullet for you, no probs."

What a bro that guy is.

Drake on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Gat's all, "Hey boss, lemme catch that bullet for you, no probs."

What a bro that guy is.

Well he has been shot and stabbed so many times I'm sure by now half is body has bullets lodged in it creating natural body armor and the other half is probably mechanically augmented.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are these in game screens? Cause...

motherfuck...I really gonna need to upgrade this PC.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    E3 parking lot with Saints Row: The Third Signage. Two more days for the gameplay trailer!
    sr3parkinglot.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Actually, this is a question I've been wondering for a bit. In Saint's Row 2,

(Very minor spoiler, but really it's such an awesome part of the game in a subtle way that I want to be careful.)
    the Mission/hotel gets upgraded into a nightclub over the course of your rise, which is a REALLY awesome touch. Eventually they replace the old marble statue in the stairway with a holographic emitter of a heaven/hell kind of chick, matching a couple of their logos. In shots of SRIII, you can see the same chick as the centerpiece of the "Planet Saints" building.

Who is that chick? Does it have any significance?

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Athenor, I don't think that has any significance other than just a nod back to SR2. It wasn't a character from the first game or anything afaik.

Also, more E3 Signage. Nice shot of the Angel banner.
    angelnw.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's really good which I'm glad for. I got the second Saints game but the graphics on the characters are so bad it feels like a previous gen game or something. After better looking games it really takes me out of the whole thing. Guess I finally became a graphics whore.

Cade on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    It's really good which I'm glad for. I got the second Saints game but the graphics on the characters are so bad it feels like a previous gen game or something. After better looking games it really takes me out of the whole thing. Guess I finally became a graphics whore.

Sad to hear you'd give up awesome fun and silly shenanigans because something else looked prettier.

There's going to be so much you will miss in life. :(

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    More E3 SR3 building signage:

e3sr3signage.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I know we're only seeing part of the signage, but MAN did THQ do a massive ad buy during this. I'd love to see a photo retrospective that shows just how big these photos are in comparison to the total ad buys. This is gonna be THQ's main holiday game, I guess.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Love the new avatar Idol, did you see Tarkin's episode on Clone Wars?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

WANT TO SEE! Don't suppose its up on youtube yet? otherwise, will have to wait until I get home.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    G...gameplay footage?!

Just my luck. I want to see it soooo bad...but cant for a week.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Walkthrough of the E3 halls showing all the SR3 signage. Also, shows a new character called Cyrus @ 2:19:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hACzJZtymBU

2eG3c.png

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    More wrestling moves confirmed. I'm happy.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sony live E3 conference news!

PS3 version of Saints Row: The Third will have an exclusive additional gameplay mode. No details though about what the mode might be.

IdolNinja on