As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That Last [McRib Sandwich] Thread Lasted Longer Than Expected

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    do they have hilarious nonsensical english translations?

L|ama on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    what's the name for phrases that have nothing to do with their dictionary definition but have a meaning just from cultural context?

L|ama on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok so I guess it was a long shot that you guys would like the Manga guides to various sciences. But how about this?

http://nostarch.com/legoguns.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrBW-nnRm1Y&feature=player_embedded

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    idioms!

idioms are weird
    Literal translation (word-by-word) of opaque idioms will not convey the same meaning in other languages – an analogous expression in Polish is kopnąć w kalendarz (“to kick the calendar”), with “calendar” detached from its usual meaning, just like “bucket” in the English phrase. In Bulgarian the closest analogous phrase is da ritnesh kambanata ("да ритнеш камбаната", “to kick the bell”); in Dutch, het loodje leggen (“to lay the piece of lead”); in Finnish, potkaista tyhjää (“to kick nothing”, or more literally “to kick the absence of something”); in French, manger des pissenlits par la racine ("to eat dandelions by the root"); in Spanish, estirar la pata (to stretch the foot); in German, den Löffel abgeben (“to give the spoon away”) or ins Gras beißen (“to bite into the grass”); in Latvian, nolikt karoti (“to put the spoon down”); in Portuguese, bater as botas (“to beat the boots”); in Danish, at stille træskoene ("to take off the clogs"); in Swedish, trilla av pinnen ("to fall off the stick"); and in Greek, τινάζω τα πέταλα ("to shake the horse-shoes"). In Brazil, the expression “to kick the bucket” (chutar o balde) has a completely different meaning (to give up something complicated, as a bucket kicked makes too much noise, demonstrating impatience).

L|ama on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still say "dude", apparently I am from 1992.

Gonna start saying "totally radical" and "out of sight" now too.

theSquid on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you people with your words

i try to mix in a decent level of clint eastwood style grumbles

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I say Rad and Bogus all the time. When people look at me funny, I tell them that I am bringing it back. (then hide in shame)

Study is so fucking lame. Hurk.

Started doing something silly to help with the concentration. It is pretty damn silly, but it does seem to destress me. Which is good!

joshua1 on
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well someone set fire to the front of my dads shop in an attempt to get to the atm. Wonderful start to the day.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Ok so I guess it was a long shot that you guys would like the Manga guides to various sciences. But how about this?

Man, that's a hefty upgrade to the Lego projectile launchers I used to make.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Somebody, anybody, get me this as soon as possible, please!

Or better yet, for Secret Satans, if it is run at all this year...

Maybe we should have an ANZAC Christmas in July Satans.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So hey guys apparently posting once on FB that you were annoyed with a single Q&A episode makes you right-wing, and you're also not allowed to like Hungry Beast.

Speaking of Hungry Beast, do any of you guys watch it? I love that show.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Somebody, anybody, get me this as soon as possible, please!

Or better yet, for Secret Satans, if it is run at all this year...

Maybe we should have an ANZAC Christmas in July Satans.

If I ever made one of these, after the hours it took me to make it, I would 100% destroy it the first time I drew back the slide.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    fuck that hippie shit

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay that Lego Guns thing is awesome.

And so is hippie shit.

But I've yet to watch Hungry Beast.

theSquid on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like Hungry Beast a lot.

Flay on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh Q and A annoys me. The twitter stream at the bottom is always full of the tritest, smuggest high horsery on Television.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And yes Hungry Beast has some very good stuff many a time.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ugh Q and A annoys me. The twitter stream at the bottom is always full of the tritest, smuggest high horsery on Television.

Wouldn't that be because the only people who use twitter are smug unistudents who think they know how the world should work after spending a gap year overseas and taking psych101?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    joshua1 wrote: »

Wouldn't that be because the only people who use twitter are smug unistudents who think they know how the world should work after spending a gap year overseas and taking psych101?

Would "A hyper leftie athiest smugfest" qualify as a good way to describe some episodes of Q&A?

Anzekay on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The ABC is my number one source for pinko godlesss commie fag news and I'm not even kidding.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah but it's not always a bad thing right

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hungry beast is pretty terrible. It's all the smugness of media watch but without facts.

To clarify, I really don't have any problem of the content, but the presenters think they are funny when they are not and it's just, bad.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah you're pretty much right Blake, but they have some interesting stuff sometimes- in paticular when I look it all up after to validate what they say.

It's just a fun show for me, most of the time.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    there are a couple of hungry beast presenter who are actually good writers and don't try to be funny

talkin about the blonde girl and the lesbian and Marc Fennell

then you got the "hot" brunette who plays the same character every week and the hipster kid and the other hipster kid and the hamfisted "funny guy" who can all go to hell

I like the show, but it's undoubtedly at its best when its narrated infographics and that segment where they interview people on the street. The latter is actually one of the classiest and most effective examples of that style of television I think I've ever seen.

#pipe on
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love the abc.

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also yes, what Pipe said about Hungry Beast.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thirded.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I swear.... 10hrs of study today.... eugh

joshua1 on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm... seems there's been another sizable aftershock in Christchurch.

More lines down, boulders dislodged, liqufication; possible building collapses and injuries.

Tough time of it down there. Central city is still closed from February.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jeez that's no good.

Also are you guys having the same problem Melbourne is having with the volcano ash or is it still business as usual?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Melbourne? Volcano Ash?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Air NZ is flying below the ash ceiling; they're the largest domestic carrier, so it's not as bad, I think. Everyone else is grounded, I believe. My brother is supposed to be getting off a flight from Auckland now; i shoud see whether he made it.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Second, bigger aftershock today. The first was a 5.5, followed just over an hour later by a 6. The big one in Feb was a 6.3, while September was a 7.1.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/5136644/Magnitude-5-5-earthquake-rocks-Christchurch

Fishman on
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That really royally sucks.

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    2 exams down, 2 to go.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Wow, poor New Zealand. I guess it's some consolation that the richter scale is logarithmic and not linear, but that doesn't make it such any less. :(

Flay on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am going to feel like a petty fuck for posting this after shit is going down over in NZ but I feel the need to vent. I hope you guys are as alright as you can be.

So I asked my brother if he could not bring a bunch of people back here to drink until 5 am on Saturday and Sunday night (he does this maybe once every 2-4 weeks and I don't normally mind, the smell of smoke in the house pisses me off but I'll live) as I had an exam this morning and needed to get up at 7am and not be kept up late or woken up for 2 nights. We aren't the only people with a house, so if he really needed somewhere for the day to drink I'm sure someone else could put him up.

He went out and met his mates last night, and I went to bed at 12, probably the earliest I ever go to bed and it is forcing it. I managed to get to sleep and a little before 2, my brother fucking knocks on my door, then comes into my room waking me up to try and buy my bottle of whisky off me.

My lights were off, so I assume he knocked to come in and take it from me without asking and maybe get back to paying me a week or so later when payday rolls around had I not woken up. Not cool.
    So he offered to buy it off me and when I told him to fuck off I have an exam in the morning, he asked again. I'd have given it to him if it was at a reasonable hour, I don't give a fuck about that, but I don't want to reinforce his negative behaviour. I continued to tell him to get out of my room, fucks thrown in here and there (which I think are not overboard having been woken up at around 2am for someone to try and get something out of me) as well and he left with the snarky call "So that's no then?" acting like he had done absolutely nothing to provoke me.

He then went downstairs and outside back to his mates I presume who went off elsewhere.

The other thing? I know there was a 6 pack of coopers in the fridge earlier that night, whether he took that with him and went to a friend's place first, or went to the bar he should've been fine either way, one he would've had plenty of time to think about getting booze before the bottleshop near where he went shut, or two he would've had that in addition to a bunch of drinks at the bar.

tldr; It is not cool to try and use me as an all-night bottleshop when you know I have an exam in the morning at 7am.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Seems like a perfectly reasonable rant to me. I hope the exam went well.

Fishman on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Fish, I think it did, but honestly I can't even remember.
    If anecdotal evidence means anything I will have done fine.

stimtokolos on
This discussion has been closed.