As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BRINK] - The AAAAHHHHHHK isn't gonna fight over itself, y'know! Join the wacky fun!

14567810»

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I think the PC community is kinda hit-and-miss, much like Monday Night Combat. More big name titles are getting all the attention, but for ten bucks you might be able to get some quality enjoyment out of it if you can find a good server or bunch of folks to play with.

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Seems so silly now how they were marketing this game as some kind of FPS revolution, when they really should have just focused on making a better ET rather than a worse one.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to take Wedgewood seriously in the future.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I will always be disappointed with future FPS because they will lack the movement from Brink.

Revolutionary enough fo me.

• Options
    Seems so silly now how they were marketing this game as some kind of FPS revolution, when they really should have just focused on making a better ET rather than a worse one.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to take Wedgewood seriously in the future.

Lessee here. . . S.M.A.R.T. allowing you to quickly and smoothly navigate the terrain without having the limitations of only being able to leap over waist-high walls or run around obstructions? Pretty clever stuff. Managing to create a tight, class-based competetive shooter with lots of class-specific skills that can allow you to tailor your playstyle and capacity with each class? I haven't seen too many of those recently. Endorsing gameplay that's fast paced and allows for lots of flexibility in how your team approaches objectives using all of the above? Brink might not be revolutionary in the sense that it's a completely new product, but as a refinement of the genre with lots of unique twists and features, it damn well delivers on those promises.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Lessee here. . . S.M.A.R.T. allowing you to quickly and smoothly navigate the terrain without having the limitations of only being able to leap over waist-high walls or run around obstructions? Pretty clever stuff. Managing to create a tight, class-based competetive shooter with lots of class-specific skills that can allow you to tailor your playstyle and capacity with each class? I haven't seen too many of those recently. Endorsing gameplay that's fast paced and allows for lots of flexibility in how your team approaches objectives using all of the above? Brink might not be revolutionary in the sense that it's a completely new product, but as a refinement of the genre with lots of unique twists and features, it damn well delivers on those promises.

Aside from the terrain barely supporting the movement modes as anything more than a gimmick. Thus forcing you to use 2 choke points to get to any objective on any map. Not even getting into the fact the maps were mostly lopsided towards the resistance.
    Aside from the skills only having one or two useful ones per class. Not to mention the way the supply system worked you could either support your team or you could use your combat abilities, not both.
    The weapon balance was also atrocious at launch, and still not that great.

They tried to be revolutionary and failed.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone still play this on ps3?

I'm really disappointed in Brink. It did a lot of great things. The classes are fun. The weapons are fun. The movement system is innovative, despite the maps not being very parkour-able. The sound design is amazing. The game's visual aesthetic is great. The near complete omission of kills per death tracking is wonderful.

While bold, the game's one mode and one mode only thing is crippling, at least in 2011. The maps are large, and there are a lot of things to do, but you pretty much have to do things in the same sequence every time. Different game modes would have given Brink a longer life.

And Wedgewood et al told a huge white lie about the game and its "mingle-player."
    Whatever voodoo goes on to get actual humans into a match takes way too long to happen.

And the great PSN Outage of 2011 really screwed this game. It ran smooth at launch of ps3, but you had to wait somewhere around a month after release to play it with another person. I guess the 360 and PC releases had a lot of problems...

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    in general they botched the launch with poor quality of connection to games. it was unplayable for the first week or so on 360, which really hurt the game.
    add in most people expecting it to be CoD like when in fact it's the farthest thing from that...
    the straw that broke the camel's back was the shitty lobby system (or lack of one). in every decent console FPS you can party up with friends in a lobby system and then join games together. not so in brink, whose 'revolutionary' campaign-online mode made it difficult to party up with friends. that kills communities right there, if you have to struggle to get into games together.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I traded it in last week, but in the end I got quite a few hours out of it. Between the trade-in and selling the preorder DLC code, I got a decent amount of money back for it, at least.

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    The one saving grace of this game was S.M.A.R.T.

the rest was shit

not even worth the 20 eurobux it costs on Steam now—definitely wasn't worth launch price

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I waisted a week's worth of vacation time on Brink

:evil:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I'm still surprised at how active the 360 community still is in this game. Plenty of times I've hopped into a game to find it full or close to full on both sides, and competition is often very fierce and enjoyable.

Still, I can't help but wonder how much better Brink's reception and longevity would've been if Splash Damage released it in a more stable state. I can't help it; this game pushes all the right buttons for me.

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    all of my friends keep bitching about how they wasted money on this game and how it sucks blah blah blah but I loved it. Except they all stopped playing so I basically wasted my money since we all moved on to other games.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Basticle wrote:
    all of my friends keep bitching about how they wasted money on this game and how it sucks blah blah blah but I loved it. Except they all stopped playing so I basically wasted my money since we all moved on to other games.

This is me right here because I still think it's a good game, map design aside

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Basticle wrote:

This is me right here because I still think it's a good game, map design aside
    I still like splash damage, but I'm starting to think that W:ET style team games just aren't meant to be any more

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    The media reviews didn't help at all.

This game had a bad launch, no doubt about it. But the reviews didn't knock it down saying "there's no lobby system" or "it's impossible to play a game because of the lag." They knocked it down because "sniper rifles aren't one hit kills," and "frag grenades don't do much damage and just do knockdown." There were a lot of design decisions that are counter to what most games go with, and thus a lot of people that expected it to be like any other shooter were frustrated and surprised.

It had a bad launch, and was in a way not right for the current state of shooters. Apparently nobody wants class-based teamwork yet/anymore, they want to spam nades and plop down turrets that rake in the kills.

• Options
    mr_mich wrote:
    The media reviews didn't help at all.

This game had a bad launch, no doubt about it. But the reviews didn't knock it down saying "there's no lobby system" or "it's impossible to play a game because of the lag." They knocked it down because "sniper rifles aren't one hit kills," and "frag grenades don't do much damage and just do knockdown." There were a lot of design decisions that are counter to what most games go with, and thus a lot of people that expected it to be like any other shooter were frustrated and surprised.

It had a bad launch, and was in a way not right for the current state of shooters. Apparently nobody wants class-based teamwork yet/anymore, they want to spam nades and plop down turrets that rake in the kills.

Too true. . . If you can't get some kind of attention from the 16-25 year-olds (not to mention product tie-ins like with PepsiCo's Modern Warfare 3 "Double XP Time" deal), you can consider your game to be as good as ignored. The fact that the reviewers and sites want a piece of the ad pie doesn't help.

Whatever; I just made a third character tonight, looking to spec in Operative. Should be fun.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Grim I still need to hit level cap sometime. I might have room on my list right now as well. Just saying.

• Options
    I am playing this on ps3. I am rolling wiht my Operative, trying ot get him to 25. He's at level 20.
    skull face paint, sad punk goggles, shemagh, sad punk jacket and pants
    sweet

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I think Brink was destined to fail, because it is vastly different from CoD and Battlefield and pretty much every shooter anyone has played.

Does anyone here still play? I haven't played very much since the big weapon patch and DLC.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think Brink was destined to fail, because it is vastly different from CoD and Battlefield and pretty much every shooter anyone has played.

This is probably true, but I know that I would 100% still be playing Brink right now if they gave me the game they said they were making. Or at least didn't take so long to give me the game they said they were making.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I finally sold this game. I loved brink and the ideas in it but after finishing the achebenants I was pretty much done. I hope it gets a sequel or at least the idea is developed on.

• Options
    rook268rook268 Registered User regular
    Looks like the PC version is free for the weekend, and 75% off during the weekend. Assuming, of course, you can tear yourself away from Skyrim for a couple hours.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2011

I think Brink was destined to fail, because Splash Damage apparently got really bad at making maps, and then didn't release a toolkit.

Seriously, if they had let the community fix the problems with the game I can almost guarantee it would still have some semblance of a community.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

Does anyone here still play? I haven't played very much since the big weapon patch and DLC.

With respect, I think it failed because of the horrible bots mixing in with multiplayer, the horrible maps, the non-intuitive use of certain weapons (why would a grenade do no damage, intuitively? Sure, you have concussion grenades, but why would I not want a choice of a high explosive to clear out things?), the supply system making it so you could hardly do cool things for yourself if you wanted to help your team..

The game having only one mode, really?

S.M.A.R.T was cool, but ever since I played Quake with a grappling hook, stuff like Parkour doesn't seem as impressive.

The game had too many issues to succeed and I don't think it's fair to just say "welp, it's not COD".

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    For $6.25 (there's really no reason to not get the DLC, I doubt any of the servers that are left don't have it) this game is super worth it. Most of the issues that the game had during its launched were fixed, and the two new maps that were added in with the DLC are well balanced and really fun to play on.

• Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to use the heavy body type? The big guns seem ineffective and I'm so slow.

• Options
    You can take a good chunk more damage, and the heavy weapons are surprisingly effective once you get used to the recoil and handling. The Shotgun is lethal at close range, and the light machineguns are great for laying down support and suppressing fire. Heavy is great for general defense of objectives and chokepoints, not so great for offensive actions due to the speed, but with the right skills heavies are dangerous.

• Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    Bought this during the steam sale, not sure if I'm suppose to be regretting this or not after having seen the server list. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Empirical wrote:
    Bought this during the steam sale, not sure if I'm suppose to be regretting this or not after having seen the server list. Anyone care to enlighten me?

It is definately worth the $5-10 you might have paid for the sale price, if just for the single player. Just remember to create a brand new character when doing singleplayer, otherwise opposing bots will be too much of a PITA.

If there is any online competitive play, that is just extra gravey value multiplier.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Wondering if anyone plays this on the ps3, really craving a fun FPS.