As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BRINK] - The AAAAHHHHHHK isn't gonna fight over itself, y'know! Join the wacky fun!

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    From what I can tell the Audio Logs are kinda randomly given out when you win games (mostly in Campaign, though I think they can also be won in Freeplay). It took me a while for the last one out of all of them to be awarded, so getting the achievement associated surprised me. They really do add a lot to the overall atmosphere of the game; hearing Chen's machinations alternating with his musings on life on the Ark are some of my favorites, next to Mokoena's assessments of the increasingly chaotic situation. SMART is what helps define Brink as a game for me - the ability to just sprint over a stretch and smoothly bound over or slide under almost anything in your way as opposed to having to run around like in other games cements Brink's philosophy of speed and fluidity more than anything else. It's addicting as hell.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I actually think my favorite audio logs where security guy about coming to the ark. The founder was kinda neat with how increasingly pissed off she gets about chen's double dealings

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I played Brink for the first time in months, last night. I didn't have a wholly unpleasant experience. Goomba was in typical fashion.

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    What's the PC community like for this? I want a new shooter thats not CoD or similar, and this seems like the only thing that fits right now, but I've heard so many bad things about it.

• Options
    What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    I am looking for people to play this with. My criteria is
    1) You have a mic
    2) You are kinda goofy
    3) You play objectively

Add me and let me know you wanna play brink.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/whatisschwa

• Options
    What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Ohhh Goomba is from here.

Wow I had an interesting game with him
    Goomba: "Brink is terrible lalalala"
    Me: You are a troll
    Two hours later Goomba forms a coup with fireteams with the sole purpose of excluding me. I notice after a half hour
    Me: Really? <disconnect>

What Is Schwa? on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    That brings memories to the heart

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    elevature wrote:
    What's the PC community like for this? I want a new shooter thats not CoD or similar, and this seems like the only thing that fits right now, but I've heard so many bad things about it.

So I have only put a few hours in the last couple of days but the community seems fine. Also I personally am so glad I didn't pass on this game. It is not perfect but it is really damn fun more so than all the internet naysayers would have you believe.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I saw we were complaining about Goomba and I thought I clicked on the TF2 thread by accident.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I got this again because cheevos and I truly enjoyed it. People get back on.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    joshgotro wrote:

See what happens when you actually give responsible devs time to fix their games rather than abandoning them? I mean you already brought the darn thing, why not keep it around on the off chance you might actually enjoy it given enough time? :P

Yeah, I've been saying that about Brink from day 1, and I feel I've been rewarded for my patience with a unique, fun game. Nice to see folks coming around after giving it another shot.

Edit: Y'know, I haven't heard anything about how much the DLC is going to cost now that it's past the free-to-get period. . . I'll have to look that up later.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    Oh yeah this game

I really need to hit rank 24...

• Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    SvK wrote:

And now nobody will ever get it. :(

Antithesis on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote:

See what happens when you actually give responsible devs time to fix their games rather than abandoning them? I mean you already brought the darn thing, why not keep it around on the off chance you might actually enjoy it given enough time? :P

Yeah, I've been saying that about Brink from day 1, and I feel I've been rewarded for my patience with a unique, fun game. Nice to see folks coming around after giving it another shot.

Edit: Y'know, I haven't heard anything about how much the DLC is going to cost now that it's past the free-to-get period. . . I'll have to look that up later.

Yeah, the game is better. Much better than it was at launch. The DLC should have been free forever though.

• Options
    Why the fuck are they charging for it? Do they have a boner for pushing newcomers away?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    On consoles, this game is (still) $60 at places like Target.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I don't know if they have a hardon for pushing newcomers away specifically, so much as they seem to have an ongoing trend in which they try as best they can to make an otherwise pretty good game into a colossal a failure as possible.

Every single thing SD has done aside from actually releasing the game has absolutely damaged. From not rebalancing and fixing maps, to waiting months to rebalance weapons, and now charging for DLC that splits an already functionally dead online community. Even prior to launch they shot themselves in the foot with a misleading ad campaign that placed emphasis on a purported single player experience, and putting a huge amount of emphasis on a facet of gameplay that fills a much more subdued role. (It's not a parkour game with guns, it's an FPS with some parkour)

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote:

I definitely rented it the first week it came out. Played the shit out of it. Felt it wasn't worth the full cost of admission. Now that I found a copy sub $25 I have no problem owning it. I just wish more people found their way into the games me and my friends are playing. Bots even on Hard are stupid easy.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    so this game looked awesome, then it bombed (correct?). Worth picking up on cheap on 360?

• Options
    Tommatt wrote:
    so this game looked awesome, then it bombed (correct?). Worth picking up on cheap on 360?

Well, it didn't quite "bomb" so much as the shoddy implementation of netcode and various PC problems at launch exaggerated the rather cold critical reception from the major (read: ad revenue-driven) outlets, so it kinda floundered around until some price dropping on the consolses (it's around $30-40 depending on retailers) and the recent free-to-play weekend on Steam along with the (now premium) DLC gave it a second wind. If you can find an inexpensive copy and have ten bucks to get the DLC I say yeah, pick it up!

• Options
    Turkey wrote:
    Why the fuck are they charging for it? Do they have a boner for pushing newcomers away?

I imagine that is Bethesda's decision, not SD.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Is anyone's PC game stuttery? I may have missed a post but my graphics card should be up to date as of Aug 12th (ATI 5870). I want to play it just seems like the game doesn't want me to play it.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    (It's not a parkour game with guns, it's an FPS with some parkour)

Which is still one of the best aspects in the game. I have been splitting time playing this and Metro 2033 and got I want the Brink movement in every FPS from here on out. Feels so intuitive and delicious.

I love Brink and find it sad that it had such a bad launch. Charging for the DLC is a poor call though. I got it for free but really it should have stayed free.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I agree it should have stayed free, it's more of an update than anything else. you can get to 24 in like 2-3 days if you work at it.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Here have this shitty game for $60!

Oh... you want the slightly more decent version? $70 then!

Ahhh hahahahaha, no.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Here have this shitty game for $60!

Oh... you want the slightly more decent version? $70 then!

Ahhh hahahahaha, no.

Well I got it all for $20. Seems like a fair bargain to me. Game is damn fun.

• Options
    So now they're offering all of the pre-order bonus stuff as DLC, of course.

• Options
    well it's not like that's some evil scheme, that happens lots now a days. also, the game is not $60 everywhere. i saw it for $35 new at my gamestop, so it's even cheaper used. as for the DLC it's good but not really worth ten dollars.

• Options
    also, the game is not $60 everywhere.

Depends where you go. I definitely saw it for $60 at Target earlier this week.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I forgot to download this while it was free and now I have to pay for it despite having pre-ordered this long before it came out and being one of the few people to defend it as an awesome game the entire time.

So basically I will never play this again. On top of all the other problems, they had to be incompetant enough to handle the compensation DLC with the worst system imaginable, rather than something sensible like making it free to everyone who bought it before a certain date.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    That sucks, Rami. You are missing out on a fun game.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote:
    also, the game is not $60 everywhere.

Depends where you go. I definitely saw it for $60 at Target earlier this week.
    well derp, that's great but for people interested in the game now who want it cheap there's options.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Rami wrote:
    I forgot to download this while it was free and now I have to pay for it despite having pre-ordered this long before it came out and being one of the few people to defend it as an awesome game the entire time.

So basically I will never play this again. On top of all the other problems, they had to be incompetant enough to handle the compensation DLC with the worst system imaginable, rather than something sensible like making it free to everyone who bought it before a certain date.

That does suck - all I could say is maybe send an e-mail to Splash Damage support (if they have one) and see what/if they can do anything for you.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'd be very surprised if they didn't tell you to piss off and pay up.

• Options
    I am playing 8 v 8, all humans, on Xbox. Die-hard community indeed...

• Options
    Hey, folks know what they like. Mostly they're playing Objective games, though I've been having a few (team-stacked) Stopwatch matches lately. This game - once it gets its hooks in you it's hard to stop playing.

• Options
    Rami wrote:

That does suck - all I could say is maybe send an e-mail to Splash Damage support (if they have one) and see what/if they can do anything for you.

i suggest contacting the publisher, not the developer

• Options
    I had some great games with Josh and Local last night, and I would've stuck around longer had my system not locked up twice. And this is a relatively new 250 GB 360. . . it's not the first time I had freezes during Brink, so that might be something to bring up on the official bugs and issues forums.

For anybody who's been on the fence about the game for a while, apparenly in the latest issue of Best Buy's gaming magazine (which you can buy on the shelf for about five bucks) one of the coupons out of a bunch they pack into each issue is for $10 off Brink, and since the game retails for about $40 there I'd say that's not a bad deal. That at least lets you get the game and allows you to buy the DLC for the retail price.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    So PC Brink for $10 at Amazon, yay or nay? I wasn't blown away by the QuakeCon trial period, but it's something I could possibly see myself getting $10 worth out of. Is the PC community alive?

steam_sig.png