As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phone Hacking In The UK] - An Old Fashioned English Fox Hunt

• Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Bastable wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Nick Davies on; The MET are proper fucked now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/2011/jul/12/phone-hacking-scandal-live-coverage

Davies is of course the reporter that hung on to the story of News of the world shinaningins story. It is a bit fox news/cnn we video interview our corespondent but Davies has some good insights.

The interesting part for me there was Gordon Brown talking about The Sunday Times.

I've always thought that, regardless of appearances, all of Murdoch's companies would be run the same way. The Sunday Times has a veneer of respectability, but there's no reason to think that for some reason Murdoch would allow it to be an independent newspaper and not use it for his goals.

Brown's comments here support that view of the Times, and also reminds me that I never did understand why he was so unpopular - perhaps media bias played a big part in that?

Edit: Also what is with Hugh Grant, superhero? That is so surreal.
    I'd argue Nick Davies is the real super hero; broke the original story, exposed the Milly Dowler hacking several years later after continuing to work on it inspite of being pretty much accused as a creep with an agenda by News Corp. Grant helped added fuel to the fire and is really a likable chap. Unfortunately without the prior ground work by Davies and then guardians Milly Dowler story Grant would not have gained real traction.

I don't really mean Hugh Grant is a hero, but just how odd his role in this is.

Retribution is a dish best served with a halting, upper-class British accent.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    • The Daily Express: "EU migrants to get British pensions"

Even if the whole of the British Media was going down in flames, some things would remain unchanged

:/

From the paper that brought you

6a00d8341d417153ef014e6046ead6970c-800wi

This story is a LIE by the way.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »
    • The Daily Express: "EU migrants to get British pensions"

Even if the whole of the British Media was going down in flames, some things would remain unchanged

:/

From the paper that brought you

6a00d8341d417153ef014e6046ead6970c-800wi

This story is a LIE by the way.

Agreed. Astrologers have no power to predict the future

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    She's probably the most reliable section of the paper.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    somehow, even with all the bizarreness of this story and the sheer 'wtf'ness of it....

i still find it so entertaining.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am enjoying this whole affair with a slightly disturbing amount of zeal, I must admit.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    There's a highly amusing tweet from the loathsome Dan Wootton (ex-NotW showbiz hack) whining that Hugh Grant is the biggest hypocrite in the world, because he said in an interview that he loved reading the NotW and the gossip about stars.

He said this in 1994.

Bogart on
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I find it surprising that Brown didn't nail Brooks to the wall after that (legally speaking of course), he was one of the most powerful men in the country at the time.

It looks like he did not connect that Brook calling him about knowing his son was going to die would be connected to illegal phone hacking. Or he took on board Brook's implied threat that NI could and would smear him by any means.

It's like poor Ryan getting Brook and coulson to admit to paying off cops and within months there are photos of him in his underwear (on gay sites not less because homo's are icky amrite News corp) on the front page.

Coogens correct in his statement that it was a protection racket.

Fair enough but if anything was to spur a man into action, especially one with Brown's reputed temper, it would be a trashy tabloid using his baby son's illness as a way to sell papers.

The more I think about it, the more it enrages me. When Brown made his farewell speech and then walked away with his family, the thing that struck me the most was how relieved he looked, like the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders and also how obvious his love for his kids was. Whatever about the pressures of high office, no one should have to put up with something like this.

Looks like Brown was making noises about investigating News corp papers in the final term in office, but people were all: No prime Minister, that might seem politically motivated. . .

Alan Johnson (left), the former Labour home secretary, told Sky News earlier that Labour did not set up an inquiry into phone hacking - as Gordon Brown said he would have liked to have done (see 9.34am) - because ministers would have been accused of exploiting the issue for party political gain. I've taken the quotes from PoliticsHome.

If I'd have ordered a public inquiry at the time, I'd have probably been castigated because in the run-up to a general election people would have said it was an attempt to get at Andy Coulson who'd been appointed by Cameron. So you can't take today's knowledge and just apply it retrospectively, you have to look at the information that was available at the time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/2011/jul/12/phone-hacking-scandal-live-coverage

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    There's a highly amusing tweet from the loathsome Dan Wootton (ex-NotW showbiz hack) whining that Hugh Grant is the biggest hypocrite in the world, because he said in an interview that he loved reading the NotW and the gossip about stars.

He said this in 1994.

I should hope Mr Grant is drinking clear liquid from a test tube and stating: A Wootton your tears, they are delicious. Time for more prossies I think, I feel all tingly.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    facetious wrote: »
    I don't really have anything to add to any of this but I'm finding it fascinating to follow. Could you imagine if Murdoch went down? Realistically, I know it's incredibly unlikely but wow.

Well, if this takes hold in the US it could make a huge dent in where his real money is.

I think he is far too arrogant to think this can hurt him really, worst case for him is to ditch the UK altogether (great for us!) and concentrate on the Australian and US markets, but if they turn on him too...

Either way it looks like he won't be leaving his son the power to king-make, thank God.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hah, david cameron doesnt have any time to be in on the hacking debate.
    Labour sources say Cameron 'explicitly' agreed to take part in the hacking debate last nite - No 10 says he now will not

http://twitter.com/#!/BBCLauraK/status/91061223713554432
    No 10 says PM just doesn't have time to do hacking debate after his hacking statement as well and statement could be quite chunky

http://twitter.com/#!/BBCLauraK/status/91077368181030912

this man is not clean when it comes to all of this. even if you like him you have to admit that. (I know, the majority of brits on PA don't like him)

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I don't think he is well liked in the UK at all, he was just in the right place at the right time and even then he couldn't win a majority. Ironically it was the Sun and other Murdoch press who made it almost impossible for Lib Dems to make a coalition with Labour by smearing it a "coalition of the losers!" from day one.

Most people view him as a slimy, out of touch snake oil salesmen who said anything to get in power, he isn't even that liked by the Right as they see him as false (he is more central than some think) and they hate his weird "big society" bullshit.

I think he is probably not a bad guy, just needs to appear strong on issues that are unpopular.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ^ agreed. I dont think he's the worst tory around but he is so totally weak-willed to me, and completely out of touch with the public. he has his friends and he'll do his best to please them first. Maybe i'm judging him wrongly, i dont know...

I just think 'not having time' to be there on what could break him completely is poor form and increases the chances of it reflecting badly on him. People are watching closely now, and its like he's running scared.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    and completely out of touch with the public. he has his friends and he'll do his best to please them first. Maybe i'm judging him wrongly, i dont know...

It's never easy to get a handle on a politician, anyone who wants that job has to have a certain arrogance I think.

I find it ammusing him and Milliband met last night, when they HAVE to go at it like Cain and Abel at PMQ today, if Ed doesn't go for blood his party will think he is weak (and he may never get another chance like this) and Dave needs to defend himself from the shit is he is getting across the country.

That meeting would have been amusing to see.

"Yes Dave, thats great, by the way you do know your getting your shit pushed in tomorrow right? and not in a good way..."

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

this man is not clean when it comes to all of this. even if you like him you have to admit that. (I know, the majority of brits on PA don't like him)

Either Cameron has a plan or he's sticking his head in the sand and hoping Miliband punches himself out on his deputies.

That or he's waiting for NI to dig up dirt on Miliband's press advisor for the big push back.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You know what is a shame? William Hague always struck me as being somewhat decent (someone is probably going to ruin this for me) guy, but his image meant he was completely unelectable from day one.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Either Cameron has a plan or he's sticking his head in the sand and hoping Miliband punches himself out on his deputies.

That or he's waiting for NI to dig up dirt on Miliband's press advisor for the big push back.

They're just going to point at New Labour under Blair and their relationship with the Media as their response.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    oh hey, i agree, EVERYONE at the top of parliament is suspect of being corrupt with regards to murdoch.

but cameron is the PM. he's the one who has to speak outright for his party.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    gosh, he's getting a right grilling in prime ministers question time.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I should never watch PMQ's. Shit makes me embarrassed. Like watching idiots argue, only problem being is that we vote for these idiots. Why oh why can't we have a decent debate, instead of everyone trying to score points with clever soundbytes and then heckling like a 5 year old. If anywhere else you acted like MP's do in parliament you'd either a, be put in the mad house or b, fired.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Except that doesn't really do it justice. PMQ's often become heckling and soundbites and point-scoring, but it's also there to provide a definite point of accountability for the PM. He knows he'll have to face someone asking him stuff every Wednesday, it's part of his job. If he's bad at it and fluffs important questions everyone will see it. Yes, it's often childish and silly. It's also often brilliant and important, providing a proving ground for politicians at the top level. Suck at this, and you won't be PM for long.

What does a 'decent debate' consist of in your opinion? How would politicians of opposing parties act in this debate? Why should they?

Bogart on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Prime Minister's Questions is so entertaining. Every time I watch I'm like, man, it'd be awesome if the our President got in a spirited rapid-fire debate with congress every week.

wandering on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    wandering wrote: »
    Prime Minister's Questions is so entertaining though. Every time I watch I'm like, man, it'd be awesome if the our President got in a spirited rapid-fire debate with congress every week.

I remember when Bush was in and people were saying how fucking comical it would be if GW had to do PMQ's.

Obama would excel at it I imagine.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Tastyfish wrote: »

They're just going to point at New Labour under Blair and their relationship with the Media as their response.

If Miliband Sr was at the dipatch box that'd be a winning strategy.

However getting Red Ed has been a blessing in disguise. Even if Cameron does go for a "Blair was shit" strategy then Ed can simply go "And?". He is a saint of the expenses scandal and the criticism of him in the LAbour leadership contest was that he wasn't savvy and connected enough to go far.

Ed is the clean unblemished broom. The only thing that can spoil it for him is the NI advisor he's got.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Up till now it's been a very good disguise.

Bogart on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cameron: I had meetings with Rusbridger and he never talked about Coulson, so it obviously wasn't a problem and you can just ignore all that now.
    12.31pm: Alan Rusbridger, the Guardian editor, is hitting back at David Cameron on Twitter. Here are some of his tweets.

Cam admits office warned. Red herring abt other mtgs with Gdn. One was group mtg *after* warning to discuss election >

second meeting was *after* Coulson had gone. Also just *not* true re Guardian warning. It had important new details

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Tastyfish wrote: »

If Miliband Sr was at the dipatch box that'd be a winning strategy.

However getting Red Ed has been a blessing in disguise. Even if Cameron does go for a "Blair was shit" strategy then Ed can simply go "And?". He is a saint of the expenses scandal and the criticism of him in the LAbour leadership contest was that he wasn't savvy and connected enough to go far.

Ed is the clean unblemished broom. The only thing that can spoil it for him is the NI advisor he's got.

however his brother isnt as clean, as i understand.

this will just be mud flinging from both sides. entertaining to watch but not really going anywhere.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Except that doesn't really do it justice. PMQ's often become heckling and soundbites and point-scoring, but it's also there to provide a definite point of accountability for the PM. He knows he'll have to face someone asking him stuff every Wednesday, it's part of his job. If he's bad at it and fluffs important questions everyone will see it. Yes, it's often childish and silly. It's also often brilliant and important, providing a proving ground for politicians at the top level. Suck at this, and you won't be PM for long.

What does a 'decent debate' consist of in your opinion? How would politicians of opposing parties act in this debate? Why should they?

Just get rid of the childish stuff. Most of the people in that room are older than 40 but act like kids. Fine it won't be entertaining for some people, but it's important and iterupting someone who is trying to ask a question or reply to one isn't on. Also all the jeering just gives people an opportunity to deflect the question. So many times Cameron just lets the booing go on, then when he speaks again he has dodged the question entirely.

I'm sorry I get annoyed but it pisses me off to see the people that make decisions that can destroy lives and careers act so stupidly on a public stage.

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    however his brother isnt as clean, as i understand.

this will just be mud flinging from both sides. entertaining to watch but not really going anywhere.

His brother isn't leading the Labour party.

Unless the Cons can dig up actionable dirt on Ed's press advisor they have basically zero mud to throw. This is a one way poop fest.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DanWeino wrote: »

Just get rid of the childish stuff. Most of the people in that room are older than 40 but act like kids. Fine it won't be entertaining for some people, but it's important and iterupting someone who is trying to ask a question or reply to one isn't on. Also all the jeering just gives people an opportunity to deflect the question. So many times Cameron just lets the booing go on, then when he speaks again he has dodged the question entirely.

I'm sorry I get annoyed but it pisses me off to see the people that make decisions that can destroy lives and careers act so stupidly on a public stage.

Yes, because everyone knows that when you don't have that, politicians act like reasonable adults. Just look at American politicians.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pmqs (and similar iterations) are one of the more entertaining parts of the Westminster parliamentary traditions. I used to go quite regulary back in NZ when I worked and studied next to Parliament. Certainly recommend it to anyone

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The Sun's "defence" of it's story on Brown's child is aimed entirely at strawmen and is still paper thin and practically self contradictory.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Pmqs (and similar iterations) are one of the more entertaining parts of the Westminster parliamentary traditions. I used to go quite regulary back in NZ when I worked and studied next to Parliament. Certainly recommend it to anyone

PMQ's is fricking awesome. It's a tradition that forces or selects leaders than can debate and think on their feet, it's messy nasty and holds people to account back when all we had were court reporters and even more so that we have video and the internet.

That the commons is designed that one cannot stab the opposing member across the lectern is magnificently telling: When you're running a country, you might get emotional enough during a argument to stab the lying scumbag across from you.

Excellent

Bastable on

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Bid withdrawn!

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Bid withdrawn!

so good

News Corporation ("News Corp") announces that it no longer intends to make an offer for the entire issued and to be issued share capital of British Sky Broadcasting Group PLC ("BSkyB") not already owned by it.

Chase Carey, Deputy Chairman, President and Chief Operating Officer, News Corporation, commented: "We believed that the proposed acquisition of BSkyB by News Corporation would benefit both companies but it has become clear that it is too difficult to progress in this climate. News Corporation remains a committed long-term shareholder in BSkyB. We are proud of the success it has achieved and our contribution to it."

&

Ivan Lewis, the shadow culture secretary, has just given his reaction to BBC News.

It's a victory for the public of this country, it's a victory for parliament and it's a victory for the tremendous leadership that Ed Miliband has shown.

Lewis said he thought this afternoon's debate would still go ahead, although Ed Miliband's motion has now been rendered redundant.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/2011/jul/13/phone-hacking-scandal-live-coverage

Bastable on

• Options
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just read the news. Today is a good day for British media. I mean we're still the laughing stock of the worlds media but at least we won't be getting 100% of our news from Murdoch corp.

I mean shit, when you have press in fucking China deriding you for the close links between state and media you know you have a problem.

Casual on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Keep in mind that nothing at the moment can stop News Corp waiting for all this to blow over and try again. It will depend on what these inquiries uncover.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Sun's "defence" of it's story on Brown's child is aimed entirely at strawmen and is still paper thin and practically self contradictory.

Never even heard of that story till yesterday. How can they get away with crap like that?

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    DanWeino wrote: »

Yes, because everyone knows that when you don't have that, politicians act like reasonable aduYOU LIE!

kildy on