As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minecraft! 1.8 Adventure Update is officially here! NEW MAP

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    You can't currently place cracked or mossy stone brick in creative mode, either. It's simply not there in the inventory list.

Re the "mob farms not dropping things" was from a post by Notch talking about what he's considering. You still get items from sun- and water-killed mobs in the 1.8-beta-beta. Who knows if that will stick around, though.

(Actually, thinking about it now, I kinda like the idea of a server with no mob farms. Other than arrows, I don't think it would change much important.)

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Yeah, things still drop items when they die, regardless of how. They won't drop XP unless you kill them, however.

Hell, I was in a cave and a skeleton shot a creeper, and in response, the creeper exploded, murdering the skeleton...leaving behind some bones.

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    If you don't hit the monster, it doesn't drop any loot. so killing things with lava doesn't work anymore.

I... I don't think this is true. I could swear I have picked up items from mobs that have died from the sun, at least.

Also, I was thinking a piston smasher or fall damage.

Time to do some creative mode testing.

Yeah it's not true thus far.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:
    Oh, is the server about to be wiped?

Theeen, I'll just start over in the wonderful 1.8 world. :D

Not wiped, read the wiki linked in my sig.

Ohhh. Cool. I shall join the other anxious people in anticipating 1.8 then. I have missed you guys, I just got so burned out, making that airship. :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    Excellent, now I just need to make the thing in creative and figure out how to deal with Endermen and I think a pyramid might be a perfect way to cover a mob spawner.

It shall be a glorious temple of the dead.

Not today.
  • Options
    A desert biome, eh? Then I shall no longer be The Winter King.

I shall be Pharaoh.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    As long as your walls are made of cobble steps you should be okay.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Yep by this point pretty sure Endermen cannot spawn in a 2 high space so solved that dilemma.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i can't download the newest update D:

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I've replaced minecraft.jar with the new one but I'm still in 1.7?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    The Minecraft Launcher should still say 1.7, but the in game title screen is the sexy new scrolling thing.

Otherwise, replace that .jar again, and this time, replace it HARDER.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'm not gonna lie. It's a bit more spartan than I would like, but I'm a mushroom person now, and nothing can change that.

qc0ocl.jpg

PUnyel.jpg

edit: oh my god, if we weren't doing the desert thing these would be absolutely perfect noob apartments.

jackal on
  • Options
    I think noobville should now be slave quarters under a massive pyramid.

Golden dong on top of said pyramid is also mandatory, I feel.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    how do I fly down in creative? I can fly upwards, but I can't descend again.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    holy shit are there trap doors and stuff now oh my god

• Options
    greygrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Hell do it anyway. We'll have a Wonkatown.

Edit: responding to jackal.

grey on
  • Options
    Fire Truck wrote:
    how do I fly down in creative? I can fly upwards, but I can't descend again.

Crouch button

Also, seems you can fly way higher than the block ceiling.

Or the block ceiling is way higher now?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    i can't download the newest update D:

1.8? You get it from th link in the OP. it's not an official release just an intentional leak of test code.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    They even come in two story. For folks who got money.

eFFHXl.jpg

• Options
    I can't have been the only one who thought of this when you first saw giant mushrooms

1313685324643.jpg

Not today.
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    right, so i just tested SMP with a couple of friends. I loaded my single player map in and a few things ive noticed right off the bat:

My chickens are still there but they arent laying eggs. when i came back from an exploration in the mines one of the chickens had died- possibly it got caught in the wall or floor. not good.

Endermen are broken in SMP. they don't respond to looking. you can attack them and they will notice you, but they dont freeze while you look at them even after that.

Chests get stuck open

doors were silent when i used them but not when other people used them

Exp is odd. it randomly doesnt drop and sometimes it just disappears instantly (possibly i picked it up and it just didnt show it happening).

the passive mob issue is going to be a serious problem. no new mobs spawn in already generated chunks, as far as i can tell. and we have no animal husbandry skills, and if chickens don't work properly in smp either... eep.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    Last one I promise. I hate having to use red wool. If they add someway to let us build with mushroom blocks I will be super happy. I guess it is a really hard problem because the side(s) that have the red white pattern changes based on its position in the mushroom.

BHDAKl.jpg

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Regarding that list of what endermen can't pick up? They can pick up a slab if there's one on top of another, but not there's just one. So a mob tower made with those just wouldn't work, they'd let in the light.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    So, are there dungeon spawners that spawn endermen? Or do new dungeons not work like that anymore

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    There will be a mushroom village when the server goes live, you can bet on that! Hell, an underground city with mushroom apartments could easily become the new Underdark.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Make it so, whoever my Number One is.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    A mushroom village built in a cavern entered through a collapsed wall of the sewer system, for all the cave dwellers who hide from the harsh glare of the desert sun and the harsh whips of the desert task masters.

Already working on ideas for it, but getting mushrooms to grow underground is frustrating so far.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote:
    So, are there dungeon spawners that spawn endermen? Or do new dungeons not work like that anymore

There are monsters spawners still. The abandoned mines appear to have a ton of poison spider spawners buried in mounds of spider webbing.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    If you don't hit the monster, it doesn't drop any loot. so killing things with lava doesn't work anymore.

I... I don't think this is true. I could swear I have picked up items from mobs that have died from the sun, at least.

Also, I was thinking a piston smasher or fall damage.

Time to do some creative mode testing.

yeah

undeads still drop their goodies when the sun moidas them

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    Something I noticed was a Skeleton hit a Zombie with an arrow and the Zombie didn't turn on him.
    Big ol' arrow in his head.

• Options
    blakeblake Registered User regular
    I played peaceful mode with the intention of getting enough materials to make stuff like traps and fortifications so I can dial it up to normal. But I came up from my mining excursions (under my house) and I found a block missing from a wall. I'm horrified. Are endermen in peaceful mode? :[

What kind of bees make milk?
    Boobees!
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    Something I noticed was a Skeleton hit a Zombie with an arrow and the Zombie didn't turn on him.
    Big ol' arrow in his head.

No one said they were smart. Skeletons don't have brains anyway so there's nothing for the zombie to gain

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    So, uh... fuck redstone and pistons and flush hidden doors. god it took me 4 hours to figure it out. Yes I tried to use a guide, but they barely helped.

• Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    So, uh... fuck redstone and pistons and flush hidden doors. god it took me 4 hours to figure it out. Yes I tried to use a guide, but they barely helped.

You're farther than me, I don't know any of that stuff yet. Making traps?

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    This is why you need SMP so dozens of people can show up and offer you unsolicited advice!

• Options
    TwixxoTwixxo the Lovebot Registered User regular
    I'm eating a Toblerone. So I thought I'd use 'Toblerone' as a seed. I found a nice homey spot in the side of one of many mountains.

TNBNcdc.gif
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    That fucking dog...

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Come to my place on the server, I have a hidden door you can take a look at if you want to see another design. I'm sure it's similar to yours but seeing someone else's always helps me.

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.