Options

Minecraft! 1.8 Adventure Update is officially here! NEW MAP

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote:
    From now on every castle wall I make is going to be 3 blocks deep and hollow. Going to fill the middle with water.

Fuck you endermen

Yes.

You know what else would be cool? Explosive reactive armor walls.

When something tries to remove a block a TNT block goes off behind it and kills whatever removed the block.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote:
    Do I recall correctly that Endermen are only supposed to mess with natural blocks and not placed blocks

because I was inspecting the walls of my little fort just now and I found a block out of place

floating next to it was an enderpearl

They mess with both natural and placed. Anything really, except for a few choice blocks that might make some buildings look rather comical

I approve of this decision

in all likelihood a couple of blocks probably aren't going to fuck anything up, and it lets you know someone's been busy while you were asleep

• Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    So trying to get a natural desert spawn is crazy hard I'm finding when randomly punching numbers. Most of the time I end up facing a tree in a forest. This particular seed was pretty neat at least since the spawn point is directly in front of a gorge: 4565461645

steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    So apparently we will need to render a new map in 1.9?

(3 days ago)
    fRBK8.jpg

Not today.
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    ah damn that sucks...

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    dammit I just finished the first phase of this fort

the perils of beta testing

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I knew that we would need to generate new areas for some features of 1.9, but without knowing what those features are it makes it tough to decide what to do with our new map. I do know npcs will only spawn in new chunks when 1.9 comes out, but that wont be an issue because we will be able to spawn them in using a bukkit plugin im sure. Its more a question of if he adds new biomes and other terrain features.

While the map is infinite this time around, I am still able to border the map until 1.9 if people want to do it that way. What are your alls thoughts on this.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    What would bordering the map do?

I.e. would it just limit us to a certain portion of the map and then when 1.9 comes out we could "unlock" it to load the rest of the map in 1.9?

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:
    Yeah I knew that we would need to generate new areas for some features of 1.9, but without knowing what those features are it makes it tough to decide what to do with our new map. I do know npcs will only spawn in new chunks when 1.9 comes out, but that wont be an issue because we will be able to spawn them in using a bukkit plugin im sure. Its more a question of if he adds new biomes and other terrain features.

While the map is infinite this time around, I am still able to border the map until 1.9 if people want to do it that way. What are your alls thoughts on this.

bordering the map until 1.9 seems awkward, because if the 1.9 features are interesting enough you'd see an exodus of people out of the 1.8 spawned area and into the 1.9 sections. It would make the map look strange, with a square of area in the center that's abandoned.

of course, we're so far away from 1.9 right now that it's hard to know all of what will be changed or added.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    FirmSkater wrote:
    From now on every castle wall I make is going to be 3 blocks deep and hollow. Going to fill the middle with water.

Fuck you endermen

Yes.

You know what else would be cool? Explosive reactive armor walls.

When something tries to remove a block a TNT block goes off behind it and kills whatever removed the block.

actually the best design (that i just thought of off the top of my head) would be a checkerboard pattern of water blocks int he middle, that way one pulled block doesnt disrupt or drain a major part of your wall
    i think

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    What would bordering the map do?

I.e. would it just limit us to a certain portion of the map and then when 1.9 comes out we could "unlock" it to load the rest of the map in 1.9?

yes, it would create a border like whats in place now and limit us to the area inside of it.
    Riale wrote:
    bordering the map until 1.9 seems awkward, because if the 1.9 features are interesting enough you'd see an exodus of people out of the 1.8 spawned area and into the 1.9 sections. It would make the map look strange, with a square of area in the center that's abandoned.

of course, we're so far away from 1.9 right now that it's hard to know all of what will be changed or added.

While it would make the map look strange, thats not really something to worry much about. While people would abandon the old pieces of the map for new 1.9 terrain, they will do this regardless of it the map is bordered or not. The border would only make it easier for people to find the new terrain when 1.9 comes out.

I'm not really happy with bordering the map either, im just thinking the alternative may end up being a worse situation depending on how much our map expands out to.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    i just had an awesome idea for a project

the towns from Actraiser

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Nothing funnier than finding a skeleton spawner and having 6 skeletons shoot at you all at the same time. Only for half of them to miss and hit other skeletons, who are then SO PISSED that they got shot that they turn around and start shooting back, leaving you with a room cleared of mobs without having to do more than laugh and take screenshots
    2011-09-11_205923.png

2011-09-11_205939.png[img][/img]

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I heard they couldn't move fences, right?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    The WorseThe Worse Registered User regular
    http://i55.tinypic.com/16ihaf7.jpg

Endermen are the perfect griefers.

I wonder if they can move monster spawners. I've heard they can move bedrock.

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    I had forgotten how hard it is to fight with even a little lag in MC. I am not used to being undone by zombies.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    i keep finding big abandoned railways and villages ... it's pretty eerie, in the best way possible.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Honestly, bordering the map is the best solution I can think of right now.

The only things I can think of that will become available in 1.9 that affects the map:
    * Snow biomes (assuming that isn't fix this update)
    * Npcs in villages

For the first feature, snow biomes, then perhaps bordering will actually make a more realistic map, i.e. snow biomes at the extremes of the map. As far as npcs in villages, I cannot think of that as being much of a feature that is going to drive players to actually abandon parts of the map.

We can't know what's coming in 1.9, but I also am positive that it will happen soon enough that players will not utilize most of the map whether it is bordered or not, so we are not losing much if we choose to border it and we might actually gain some sizeable features. Also, in that respect, I'd think we should err on the side of caution and make the border on the smaller side (and maybe that will encourage players to build closer and more cooperatively with each other).

Heres to hoping 1.9 doesn't make drastic changes that completely ruins our map :-/ Anyways thats just my 2 cents.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    The Worse wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/ArjKy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/q2BS5.png

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    The Worse wrote:

Those endermen are way too good at being creepy.

• Options
  • Options
    nuka wrote:
    The Worse wrote:

NOPENOPENOPENOPE

Not today.
  • Options
    Perfect! Now just got to perfect a technique for kiteing endermen with poison spider spawners to get them to place it near other peoples stuff.

• Options
    Sooo eventually I think there will be more than one stronghold. I don't have any direct sources from this though but I can show you the link where I read it. We'll have bosses I guess later on, and that's when Mojang is planning on putting more in.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/kchtk/i_cant_wait_to_play_18_one_disappointment_only_1/

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Enderman taking blocks is rather annoying but they don't generally wipe out huge sections of work, unless there were like 20 of them or something.

However it's made me consider securit
    nuka wrote:

What the shit. I made this like a month go and mine uses real ducks. Fuck that i'm gonna start uploading my games if this is the new hotness lol.

Good stuff though!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    The Worse wrote:
    Perfect! Now just got to perfect a technique for kiteing endermen with poison spider spawners to get them to place it near other peoples stuff.

Unless they changed the spawners themselves instead of just adding one in, that might not work. When I magic one of those in with cheats, they only give out pigs and apparently don't even do that anymore.

• Options
    nuka wrote:
    The Worse wrote:

Unless they changed the spawners themselves instead of just adding one in, that might not work. When I magic one of those in with cheats, they only give out pigs and apparently don't even do that anymore.

I just burst into tears. My dreams shattered.

• Options
    Endermen can pick up chests and it will save the contents.

So maybe spawners are saved as well?

Not today.
  • Options
    Not the same. It's closer to them picking up a birch log and it turns into an oak one.

• Options
    jackal wrote:
    I'm not gonna lie. It's a bit more spartan than I would like, but I'm a mushroom person now, and nothing can change that.

qc0ocl.jpg

PUnyel.jpg

edit: oh my god, if we weren't doing the desert thing these would be absolutely perfect noob apartments.

okay

it is now SOP to carry around a couple of mushrooms for emergency housing purposes

fuckin'

Pocket Houses
    just add bone meal*

I love it

*furniture sold seperately

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    jackal wrote:
    I'm not gonna lie. It's a bit more spartan than I would like, but I'm a mushroom person now, and nothing can change that.

qc0ocl.jpg

PUnyel.jpg

edit: oh my god, if we weren't doing the desert thing these would be absolutely perfect noob apartments.

okay

it is now SOP to carry around a couple of mushrooms for emergency housing purposes

fuckin'

Pocket Houses
    just add bone meal*

I love it

*furniture sold seperately

This is ONE mushroom with bone meal on it?

I am in love.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    any recommended texture packs for 1.8 yet?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    anyplace i could get a link to what all is in this prerelease?

thus far i have found a swamp, some dank ass mountains, an awesome river that flowed out into the ocean and that's about it

the new lighting is crazy awesome though

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Last I checked the wikia, it wasn't updated. I browse /r/minecraft.
    EDIT: It's updated but it doesn't have a section devoted to the update I don't think.

nuka on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    are the towns and what not in this one

that's what i really want. even if they're deserted

especially if they're deserted

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/215-18-updates-features-from-the-pre-release/

- Biomes are MUCH larger and uniform than before

-Swamp biome was added to the list of existing biomes - look for vines on trees!

- Vines
    Can be collected with shears, in the manner of leaf blocks. Vines will grow on any surface they are placed on

- Beef and Chicken added

- Strongholds - spawn once per world

- Ruins (basically strongholds on the ground)

- Giant mushrooms (Do not generate yet)

- Silverfish

- Creative mode
    Allows flying, insta-break, unlimited items from an item palette, no damage, and more

- Abandoned mine shafts

- Endermen
    Normally passive, these night-spawning mobs will teleport to (and attack) you if you look directly at them. When defeated, they can drop Ender Pearls, which presently do nothing

- Bow charging
    Variable damage with charge, can also land critical hits. Additionally, attacks can crit if you hit a player or mob when descending from a jump

- Sprinting
    Run faster, knock mobs back that are hit during a sprint - appears to deplete the hunger bar faster

- New high-quality Main Menu

- Chest animation (lids open, close)

- Player list on SMP; Server listings

- Setting gamemode on SMP "/gamemode username 0/1", 1 being Creative and 0 being Survival

- Hunger
    Depletes slowly over time, can be filled by eating food. At 9 more more bars, you will regenerate health slowly.

- Eating animation

- Arrows stick to mobs

- Xp bar (Gain xp from killing mobs and other players)

- New lighting engine (Colored lights, smoother lighting)

- Clouds are now at the ceiling of the world

- Cave spiders

- Zombies drop rotten flesh, which can be consumed

- Watermelons (as well as watermelon and pumpkin seeds)

- Glass panes
    These can be crafted at a crafting table by making a 3x2 grid of Glass Blocks - makes 16 panes. These panes can be placed in lines, corners and crosses, and they will adjoin with the nearest adjacent block.

- Iron Bars
    Created by making a 3x2 grid of iron ingots at a crafting table. Can be placed in the same manner as glass panes

- Brick, Stone Brick stairs

- Smooth stone brick
    Can be crafted by placing Stone in a 2x2 grid, makes 4 Stone Bricks

- F6 & F7 Adjust the time of day when pressed/held

New features and discoveries will be added as they are found. Stay tuned!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    vines will grow over glass

I have to keep clearing my windows in order to have a mossy looking house

• Options
    Ender pearls keep Endermen away. Attack them with it.

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    nuka wrote:
    The Worse wrote:

Just gave myself some spawners, worked fine. Well fine in that they spawned pigs. You need to hack the block and change the ID to get them to spawn anything else. You can place and edit them with something like MCEdit, which i have been doing trying to make an Enderman spawner block for testing shit, can't find the Enderman ID though
    :evil:

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Do they grow over glass panes?

This discussion has been closed.