As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alphas] It's like Heroes but a lot better, seriously.

ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Alphas

alphas-syfy-480x640.jpg
Mondays on Syfy at 10pm EST.
Alphas are ordinary people with extraordinary abilities. Impossible is what they do best. Doctor Rosen has observed Alphas in the following categories:

Hyperadrenal Alphas possess extraordinary physical abilities that are activated by elevated levels of adrenaline. When hyperadrenals are in the "zone" they have high thresholds for pain and are unstoppable, but when the adrenaline rush ends, they become listless and physically drained.

Transducer Alphas are human antennas that possess the ability to intercept communications and encrypted messages with their minds.

For Hyperkinetic Alphas, the mind's imaging systems and muscle control are perfectly in tune with the motor skills center of the brain. Hyperkinetics possesses flawless aim, perfect balance, and greatly enhanced motor skills.

Synesthete Alphas are able to enhance one of their five senses, such as sight or hearing, while rendering the remaining senses temporarily useless - often leaving them vulnerable to danger.

Influencer Alphas disrupt other people's abilities to make decisions. Influencer/Pushers use mental weakness as an opportunity to get what they want in any situation.

Look at that, strengths and weaknesses.

They are also not wasting a season on getting everyone together, introducing overpowered Deus Ex abilities from day one, not peppering the plot with so many holes you'd mistake it for swiss cheese.

Anyone else seen it?
Two episodes has aired and I've been loving every second of the show so far.

Shanadeus on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Aren't the mind takers called Induction Alphas, not Influencer?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I'm watching this, I don't know if I like it yet. In theory I should, but it's not clicking. All the characters seem really hollow so far, which I'm hoping is just because it's so early in the show.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Better than Heroes? How could this be? Wasn't the second season of Heroes and onward the height of human achievement? The APEX of all civilization?

It would take a miracle to exceed that level of quality! I doubt your claim that this show could be "like heroes but better"! Doubt it, good sir or madam!

More seriously, might give it a go some time, but Heroes looked good out of the gate, and it became, well...

Once bitten and that.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, the comparison makes sense, even if it's like saying "The sun, like a like bulb but farther away".

Comparing it to Heroes is what I've been doing when talking about it to people.

Delmain on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    I thought the comparison to heroes show was... that British one with the kids. What was it called? Misfits?

• Options
    Silly new forums knocked out my edit.

I was saying that every time I see the image that's in the OP, I think the Doc looks like Admiral Adama.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Jintor wrote:
    I thought the comparison to heroes show was... that British one with the kids. What was it called? Misfits?

Misfits of science?

Oh, I guess not.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote:
    Jintor wrote:

Misfits of science?

Fun fact:

That is Reed Richard's favorite television program, according to Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four 28.

He was devastated to find out it was cancelled.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I watched the first episode of this. It's not awful, so it has Heroes beaten. It's not great either. They hinted it could get interesting, but the A-plot in that first episode was dull. Then again, it's the pilot, so it's not unexpected.

I'll give it one or two more at least.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    I found the first episode frustrating and I haven't seen ep 2 and not sure I will.

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Seen the first two episodes. Show's not great, and the "super strong" guy is super fucking irritating.

By that I mean he's paranoid and a dick to everyone.

edit: it's very generic. Misfits was better.

Daxon on
  • Options
    If I'm going to be honest with you guys then I have to say that the first episode wasn't really that impressive, but it hinted at more awesomeness down the line that I think the second episode has partially displayed.
    At this point I'm just expecting the show to get better and better.
    I love the eye for details the writers have in this show, and how they don't just gloss over stuff because it'd be too hard to explain. Really loved how the autistic kid had problem opening the laptop for a second and the doctor opening it for him like it's part of their daily routine, that was a really sweet moment.

That calculating dude would have just been a telekinetic who directly cause accidents in that other show.
    Here, he is just a really clever dude who can calculate chains of events beyond what ordinary people can do.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I liked the first ep and I am also in the club of "gee, that looks like Olmos."

I'll definitely watch a few more episodes, see if it gets better or continues it's current quality. I went in knowing NOTHING about the show too, so I was pleasantly surprised by the powers. The signal kid seems pretty unique (i'm sure it's probably not, but I'm not that comic book literate to know if he is or not) and I like that there are limitations as well.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I'm kinda burned out on SyFy. Eureka and Warehouse 13 are wallowing in mediocrity, so I have to wait a while because I give another show a chance.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Wait, if Heroes is just like X-Men only worse, and Alphas is just like Heroes only better, does that mean that Alphas is just X-Men?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    4400 was pretty good.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shanadeus wrote:
    If I'm going to be honest with you guys then I have to say that the first episode wasn't really that impressive, but it hinted at more awesomeness down the line that I think the second episode has partially displayed.
    I love the eye for details the writers have in this show, and how they don't just gloss over stuff because it'd be too hard to explain. Really loved how the autistic kid had problem opening the laptop for a second and the doctor opening it for him like it's part of their daily routine, that was a really sweet moment.

That calculating dude would have just been a telekinetic who directly cause accidents in that other show.
    Here, he is just a really clever dude who can calculate chains of events beyond what ordinary people can do.
    Yeah, if the show deserves credit for anything, it's the realistic (well, except for his power of course), compassionate and conscientious portrayal of a high-functioning autistic kid. Bravo.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Shanadeus wrote:

Not only that, the other characters seem to have hangups that are a pretty reasonable consequence of their abilities, like that guy's extreme paranoia.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Yeah, the light-psychology bits by the doctor are all quite interesting to hear.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I'm sold so far. I hope they stick with baddie-of-the-week with a little peppering of larger arc hints, since that should be much more sustainable than a hugely serialized story like Heroes. With a procedural show, at least something happens every week.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    The baddie-of-the-week format is so good because they didn't tease around with the larger arc, they just threw into your face first episode and went from there.

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    Personally I liked the hugely serialized part of Heroes, it's what led me to believe there still was SOME live action TV I could stomach, I typically had only been watching film or anime exactly because of the fact those stories are largely linear and allow characters that are much more real and can grow/change dramatically.

My main complaint with Heroes was that for all their budget and all their popularity there was never ONE full on superhero brawl. Sylar vs Peter in Season 1 came close but they cut it short right as it was about to get interesting. If this show can offer that, I might consider it.

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I think relating this to heroes is a bit extreme because these people have powers, but its more along the lines of "they are the top .01% of people out there" as opposed to having mystical powers (the autistic kid aside). Like the bad ass ex-FBI agent can crank up his adrenaline making him essentially super strong, but only for a few moments, unlike the cheerleader in Heroes who basically can't die. Yes, he can gain temporary physical strength and resistance, but it is very short lived (At least as far as I can tell). The same can be said for most of the other characters.

So I think the characters and show dynamic lead to a more monster of the week style crime drama with more emphasis on the chase with character's abilities coming in to help or hurt them along the way. It makes the show less "epic" as their is no "save the cheerleader" BS. That said, its off to a slow start, but I could see it becoming a really fun and show by fleshing out the character's backgrounds without the need for a massive time traveling story arc.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    i honestly thought that was edward james olmos for like half of this thread up until now
    man this is just reminding me how fucking awful heroes got. if this ends up being alright i'll probably watch it and love it. alright is a pretty high bar for syfy these days

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    I actually thought Alphas was pretty weak. We usually lap that kind of stuff up, but I thought it was just silly, and quite lame... If you're going to try and give some kind of "reality" to their powers - you have to do better than that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Available on Hulu?

blargh, only the pilot.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So the Doctor changes actor between the pilot and second episode. That was quite jarring.

That said, the second episode did well to nurture the potential. Although I'm concerned that:
    It's all too obvious, with the Doctor inadvertently working for the badguys. I'm hoping he's secretly a mastermind or an Alpha

The issue was that we saw the exact same power from the second episode in the last series of Fringe. And I think Fringe presented it slightly better.

What are we doing with spoilers here? We need to upfront about that in the OP to stop confusion, otherwise we have groups spoilering everything, groups spoilering the last episode and groups spoiler information from future episodes. It becomes a minefield.

• Options
    You know, this thread is reminding me of something, odd pattern of human thought and all that.

It's incredibly easy to forget that first season Heroes was pretty decent-to-good. Company Man was a genuinely compelling hour of television.

• Options
    I didn't actually make it through the first series of Heroes myself. I was tempted when people said it got so much worse later on, but I just lacked the strength of character to watch any more.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    So the Doctor changes actor between the pilot and second episode. That was quite jarring.

Uh ... Dr. Rosen? No he doesn't change actors. It is still David Strathairn.

Like the show so far, but haven't seen enough to get a feel for where this is going. I'll give it a few episodes. The abilities are quite cool so far.

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm really digging this show. Pretty good acting talent going on and the powers are given a more realistic bent without bending over backwards to make them super realistic. The first episode was okay, but the second episode was really good. If this can stay strong, this has a chance to become a really really good show. Hopefully it won't end retarded like BSG.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Uh ... Dr. Rosen? No he doesn't change actors. It is still David Strathairn.

Like the show so far, but haven't seen enough to get a feel for where this is going. I'll give it a few episodes. The abilities are quite cool so far.

Really? He looks incredibly different. And it's not just me, my girlfriend asked me to make sure it was the same character.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Really? He looks incredibly different.

1014-3-merkur34chdrazor.jpg

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    You can diss Heroes after season 1 to any extreme extent (well okay not ANY extent) as far as I care, but fuck the first season of that show was the best

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Better than Heroes

or better than Season 1 of Heroes?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    It is not better than (most of) season 1 of Heroes. However, the structure and foundation is stronger (focusing on concrete stories that complete within an episode), and feels less vulnerable to the show crumbling under its own weight.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I really like this show, of the two new sci-fi/fantasy series which have begun lately (this and Falling Skies) it is by far the best, and the cast is great. Lots of drama, and continued storyline from episode to episode but you could watch one episode and it would still be satisfying. I'm hoping they keep a good balance between the human and superhuman drama, and restrain themselves from...

i) Oh nos, he's lost his powers!
    ii) Oh no, the bad guy can copy our powers!
    iii) Watch out, he has the biological power to shoot laser beams from his nose.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    This show is a lot more like Witch Hunter Robin or Painkiller Jane than Heroes, although it's moving much faster into the "protaganists' backers are evil" arc.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    It would be a absolute miracle if the writers manage to avoid those two tropes. The first one is almost a certainty.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:
    It would be a absolute miracle if the writers manage to avoid those two tropes. The first one is almost a certainty.

Generic tropes can be good if they're still done well. Not to mention since everyone has perks & flaws system mutations they have the option of doing the "maybe my powers of suck aren't as bad as I thought" character development arc.

Which can be done badly as well, but...yeah.

As for Bad Guy McPowercopy? Evil knock-offs are an inevitability, whether by power-stealers, evil twins, or alternate dimension duplicates.