As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alphas] It's like Heroes but a lot better, seriously.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    4400 was pretty good.

I seem to remember it had a weird pro-Scientology thing going on for a while there that kinda made me uncomfortable with it.

Although I seem to recognize the 'Black King' from last episode as from 4400.

Scooter on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I'm a bit iffy on the "see the whole spectrum" power, since electronic signals are not pictures but bit streams. But I guess you need to have something that's easier to work with in a tv show.

I also think the jedi mindtrick power will be a bit more interesting when we find out the downside.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nought wrote:
    I'm a bit iffy on the "see the whole spectrum" power, since electronic signals are not pictures but bit streams. But I guess you need to have something that's easier to work with in a tv show.

This annoyed me at first, but it made sense when I saw how sense-girl was their replacement for a forensics lab.

Sense-girl: Forensics
    ASD-kid: Intel
    Jedi-lady: Legal
    And the other two are super powered field agents.

They're basically CTU except they can work out of a van and don't require electricity. I find that conceptually amusing, but we'll see if the overall story plays out well, or if it's just going to fizzle out and become a crime procedural with super powers. The pilot was pretty good for a pilot, haven't seen ep 2.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    a crime procedural with super powers
    I would have no problem with this.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    The last episode was actually awesome, he villain had the 'super power' to make those around him incredibly angry using pheremones. It made for some incredibly spooky riot scenes where everyone just started killing each other.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    So the Doctor changes actor between the pilot and second episode. That was quite jarring.

Uh ... Dr. Rosen? No he doesn't change actors. It is still David Strathairn.

Like the show so far, but haven't seen enough to get a feel for where this is going. I'll give it a few episodes. The abilities are quite cool so far.

Really? He looks incredibly different. And it's not just me, my girlfriend asked me to make sure it was the same character.

He shaved...

He's like Clark Kent in that way I guess.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    "Synesthete" is a great word.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    desc wrote:
    "Synesthete" is a great word.
    There was a great documentary on this in 2005 that demonstrated synaesthesia, and the differences in actual Synesthete's abilities using VFX.
    Sadly I can only find the transcript now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/derek_trans.shtml

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    A wild Summer glau appears

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    That was an awesome episode.

They're really good at pulling these twists, I did not see that coming.
    That being the sudden reveal that the guy was the pheromone emitter and death of the handler from rage riot.

• Options

It uses Attract Geeks!

It's super effective!

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote:

It uses Attract Geeks!

It's super effective!
    :lol::^:

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote:

It uses Cancel Show!

It's super effective!

Fixed.

Actually, it seems like Alphas is doing well enough to survive a Glau appearance.

• Options
    Doesn't matter.

Glau is doom :(

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Shanadeus wrote:

That being the sudden reveal that the guy was the pheromone emitter and death of the handler from rage riot.
    Didn't see the handler's death coming.

But it was immediately obvious it was the guy causing the riots to me. The second they went "it must be the girl!" I just thought "psh, no."

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    This show is pretty damn good. I would not have known of it were it not for this thread, since I ain't got TV no more.

Hilariously enough, while this show takes place in New York it is filmed in Toronto, which was especially jarring when they went right by my apartment building and by some other landmarks that are obvious to people who live here but not necessarily to everyone else.

It was really glaring in the third episode, when they are literally walking down Yonge St. past the building I work in.

This show is following me.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Actually I don't remember them specifying the location, unless it was brought up last episode which I haven't seen yet.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Scooter wrote:
    Actually I don't remember them specifying the location, unless it was brought up last episode which I haven't seen yet.

In the second episode Nina bitches up a storm about the new office being in Queens instead of Brooklyn.

Edit: Thinking on it, there's a whole lot of little dialogue references to New York locations that make it fairly obvious where the show is supposed to be set.

It never subtitles a shot with NEW YORK CITY but the characters make it clear.

Pony on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    But Toronto is pretty fukken cool anyway bros, eh?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Nought wrote:
    I also think the jedi mindtrick power will be a bit more interesting when we find out the downside.

Didn't we already see the downside? She's causing brain trauma to people. I don't care how small the injury, I would not be cool with that power.

• Options
    Pony wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

In the second episode Nina bitches up a storm about the new office being in Queens instead of Brooklyn.

Edit: Thinking on it, there's a whole lot of little dialogue references to New York locations that make it fairly obvious where the show is supposed to be set.

It never subtitles a shot with NEW YORK CITY but the characters make it clear.

Queens, Toronto

Duh.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Nought wrote:

Didn't we already see the downside? She's causing brain trauma to people. I don't care how small the injury, I would not be cool with that power.
    Yeah, in addition to causing minor brain lesions her powers have a couple of other downsides such as not being able to influence people with relatively low brain plasticity (such as the autistic kid, people who are dumb and maybe old people?) and her control only lasting a couple of minutes.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pony wrote:
    This show is pretty damn good. I would not have known of it were it not for this thread, since I ain't got TV no more.

Hilariously enough, while this show takes place in New York it is filmed in Toronto, which was especially jarring when they went right by my apartment building and by some other landmarks that are obvious to people who live here but not necessarily to everyone else.

It was really glaring in the third episode, when they are literally walking down Yonge St. past the building I work in.

It's a Syfy Original Series, which is really just a euphemism for Filmed in Toronto.

• Options
    Shanadeus wrote:
    Nought wrote:

Yeah, in addition to causing minor brain lesions her powers have a couple of other downsides such as not being able to influence people with relatively low brain plasticity (such as the autistic kid, people who are dumb and maybe old people?) and her control only lasting a couple of minutes.
    These don't really count as downsides, so much as limitations of the ability. A real downside is like Gary's autism (presuming that's related to the power), Rachel's inability to hear while using her power, or the persecution complex that Rube Goldberg had last week. These are side effects of the ability; things they have to give up in exchange for doing something extraordinary. It makes for more interesting character beats than just "I'm normal plus I can do this awesome thing."

• Options
    JonBob wrote:
    Shanadeus wrote:
    Nought wrote:

These don't really count as downsides, so much as limitations of the ability. A real downside is like Gary's autism (presuming that's related to the power), Rachel's inability to hear while using her power, or the persecution complex that Rube Goldberg had last week. These are side effects of the ability; things they have to give up in exchange for doing something extraordinary. It makes for more interesting character beats than just "I'm normal plus I can do this awesome thing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_gyges

• Options
    edited July 2011
    As I understood it, the mini/temp tumour was an effect of the long term influence ability. Based on some of the things she said to doc X, it seems she's troubled by not knowing whether people stay close to her because they want too, or because she forces them.

On the Rube Goldberg guy, I can actually relate to his problem. I have a hard time trusting beautiful people that are dumb, because I feel it's an act. It may sound weird, but I generally have a hard time accepting that I'm not of average intelligence. (note, I'm not a genius but is generally smarter then the people I encounter)

Btw, am I the only one thinking that they have so far achieved a nice balance between story arc and monster of the week?

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    Nought wrote:
    As I understood it, the mini/temp tumour was an effect of the long term influence ability. Based on some of the things she said to doc X, it seems she's troubled by not knowing whether people stay close to her because they want too, or because she forces them.

On the Rube Goldberg guy, I can actually relate to his problem. I have a hard time trusting beautiful people that are dumb, because I feel it's an act. It may sound weird, but I generally have a hard time accepting that I'm not of average intelligence. (note, I'm not a genius but is generally smarter then the people I encounter)

Btw, am I the only one thinking that they have so far achieved a nice balance between story arc and monster of the week?

They definitely have balanced that well.

Though it only got properly good with this third episode in my opinion.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:

I cannot wait for the big fight in Honest Ed's.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Shanadeus wrote:

But it was immediately obvious it was the guy causing the riots to me. The second they went "it must be the girl!" I just thought "psh, no."

This.
    When they said "Yeah, its that girl, cause there is the monkey" I am like ... "No you idiots, its the dude next to her." It should have been especially obivious to them once they caught the guy in the hostel.

The did manage to mislead me for a bit when he started to talk about how she is his sister and stuff.

But I definitly didn't see the death of the Agent/Handler/Leoben coming ... that was kinda harsh.

I like this show so far. Let's hope Summer Glau is not the doom incarnate.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Shanadeus wrote:

This.
    When they said "Yeah, its that girl, cause there is the monkey" I am like ... "No you idiots, its the dude next to her." It should have been especially obivious to them once they caught the guy in the hostel.

The did manage to mislead me for a bit when he started to talk about how she is his sister and stuff.

But I definitly didn't see the death of the Agent/Handler/Leoben coming ... that was kinda harsh.

I like this show so far. Let's hope Summer Glau is not the doom incarnate.

Wait what? Is Summer Glau joining the show?

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Just a guest spot.

• Options
    Please stop the misinformation about cities in north America. We all know you only have one very big city, which you paint on altenate wednesdays.

I wonder if the doctor will turn out to be an Alpha. Any psychologist that shoot up adrenalin to better analyse people in the room?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    It's been said already, but I don't care. This episode was fantastic.

Also, the guy playing the autistic kid is really good.

This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options

They seem to have toned him down some from the pilot. I was disappointed.

I enjoyed the depiction of the belligerence that can accompany ASD; but I imagine they didn't want to draw heat for painting all ASD sufferers as obnoxious dicks.

• Options

I enjoyed the depiction of the belligerence that can accompany ASD; but I imagine they didn't want to draw heat for painting all ASD sufferers as obnoxious dicks.

i think it actually depicts some level of character development, as we see Gary getting along a little better with some of the other people and them adjusting to him more. he shares a joke with Bill in episode 3 to Bill's approval and then there's that bit with Hicks at the end so

it's actually one of the more surprisingly realistic depictions of ASD i have seen on television

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

As an ASD dude myself (real diagnose, not internet wannabe) I approve. I'm tired of that stereotype always getting used. It's as if they'd go "we need a homosexual character" and then Hard Gay shows up.

• Options
    Pony wrote:

i think it actually depicts some level of character development, as we see Gary getting along a little better with some of the other people and them adjusting to him more. he shares a joke with Bill in episode 3 to Bill's approval and then there's that bit with Hicks at the end so

it's actually one of the more surprisingly realistic depictions of ASD i have seen on television
    Hadn't looked at it that way, I like it and I will concoct the following backstory: Prior to the the pilot, the Doctor vowed not to shave until he made a breakthrough with EMF-boy's social skills.

• Options
    It's weird, but this show is pleasingly low-key.

Having one of the bad guys cooking eggs for the other and getting it slightly wrong, and nothing being said - it's a nicely human touch. And then the little argument when they get back into the oil truck.

It's surprisingly subtle for a syfy series.

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Quick question as I have only seen the acronym in here ... what is ASD?

• Options
    I assume Autism Spectrum Disorder

obF2Wuw.png